• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT3| A League of Academy Award Winners

LionPride

Banned
Comics aren't Batman/related characters dominated.....

Games are so I'll give you that. I have a sneaking suspicion tho that WB trying to acquire more gaming studios that they plan to change that.

Movies- I'm only paying attention to the slate and it wasn't Batman dominated.
Last time I paid attention, DC had either a Batman related character, or a Batman comic in like 6 of their top 10 slots

Movies, A Joker/Harley movie, a Joker movie, a Batman movie, a GCS movie, another Suicide Squad movie, JL movies that would be Batman dominated cause he's the popular character...

Ross61

Last time I paid attention, DC had either a Batman related character, or a Batman comic in like 6 of their top 10 slots

Movies, A Joker/Harley movie, a Joker movie, a Batman movie, a GCS movie, another Suicide Squad movie, JL movies that would be Batman dominated cause he's the popular character...
To be fair lol, there both Batman family and Superman family sets of books. Right now I'd say that there a similiar number of books between the too.

And I have a feeling Wonder Woman's gonna be more front and center now. And like I said everything that ain't on the slate I'm not paying attention to because it's not a definite. And Suicide Squad isn't a Batman movie.

LionPride

Banned
To be fair lol, there both Batman family and Superman family sets of books. Right now I'd say that there a similiar number of books between the too.

And I have a feeling Wonder Woman's gonna be more front and center now. And like I said everything that ain't on the slate I'm not paying attention to because it's not a definite. And Suicide Squad isn't a Batman movie.
Batman related characters was also something I said about the movies

I find it funny how people have a huge case of revisionist history going on, Marvel kinda made shit up as they went along with the Avengers and all that stuff. The Avengers stinger was kind of an after thought if i recall. I also hear people who claim that Nolan only plans one movie at a time and that's what Snyder should emulate but yet, 1) Batman Begins had a huge Joker stinger at the end so that argument is bullshit 2) Which makes more sense at least in theory, to have a cinematic universe where you have a plan with regards to story and character arcs or make shit up as you go along?

Also I am going to say it, Snyder is held to a higher standard, a shit tonne of hypocrisy, tone. Donner and Nolan can kill and people will handwaive or excuse it cos the movies were better received, then they will the Joker being alive in BVS is a plothole when it's obvious the Joker was in hiding or got away like in Suicide Squad, yet Batman letting Ra's die but saving the Joker is not a huge glaring plothole that makes no sense. If i recall I heard some jackass on this board defend that but they never responded to my post when I posted an interview with Jonah Nolan who said the Joker being left alive was done pretty much out of laziness. As for tone:
  • Marvel have a jokey tone so Iron Man can kill a lot and it's cool.
  • Reeves can have a light hearted tone and so cold blooded murder is excused in Superman 2.
  • Reeves can punch kryptonians through crowded buildings but it's fine cos tone.

etc

You just compared Marvel throwing in a funny stinger at the end of a movie to whatever the hell is going on at DC. Lmfaaaaaoooooo Jesus.

Eh, all these stuff work in a vacuum. There are far more characters that won't blow up or make a great profit than there are that will. There are more than enough failed character starts from DC to prove that. It all depends on the right climate, it's how Ms America blew up.

Those movies failed because WB failed, not because the characters don't work. This is beyond stupid in a year where Guardians of the Galaxy 2 was the hit it was. Not just a Guardians movie, but a sequel to a Guardians movie.

I'm not saying that they shouldn't give other characters a chance. I'm just saying they haven't been proven wrong by audiences when in all Batman media.

Fam, Wonder Woman just came out.

Ross61

You just compared Marvel throwing in a funny stinger at the end of a movie to whatever the hell is going on at DC. Lmfaaaaaoooooo Jesus.

Those movies failed because WB failed, not because the characters don't work. This is beyond stupid in a year where Guardians of the Galaxy 2 was the hit it was. Not just a Guardians movie, but a sequel to a Guardians movie.

Ok.

shingi70

Banned
I'm not saying that they shouldn't give other characters a chance. I'm just saying they haven't been proven wrong by audiences when in all Batman media.

Shouldn't the success of Their TV Division, DC Superhero girls, Teen Titans Go, and those Lois Lane YA novels tell them that people like more than Batman.

Ross61

Shouldn't the success of Their TV Division, DC Superhero girls, Teen Titans Go, and those Lois Lane YA novels tell them that people like more than Batman.
I never said that other properties shouldn't get shine, just that it's obvious no one will get close to Batman's potential.

shingi70

Banned
I never said that other properties shouldn't get shine, just that it's obvious no one will get close to Batman's potential.

Thats due to mismanagement. Before the MCU started no one would say Iron Man would ever be on the level of Spider-man or the X-men.

shingi70

Banned
Ion know about all dat bruh. A Plastic Man movie will never pull Batman numbers.

Again no one is disputing that. But the facts are the dceu is in such a bad place that it has bad WoM even after successes. Meanwhile Marvel is running victory laps on the back of a talking tree.

Doubling down on Batman seems dumb when the actual Batman movie seems Forver stuck in limbo and we don't even know if affleck is going to stay.

Ross61

Again no one is disputing that. But the facts are the dceu is in such a bad place that it has bad WoM even after successes. Meanwhile Marvel is running victory laps on the back of a talking tree.

Doubling down on Batman seems dumb when the actual Batman movie seems Forver stuck in limbo and we don't even know if affleck is going to stay.
They're "doubling" down on Batman cause they plan to move forward with or without Affleck and have an idea of when Reeves Batman movie is going to happen. And the DCEU has bad word of mouth because WB is a leaky ass studio and every decision they make gets leaked whether they go through with it or not.

shingi70

Banned
They're "doubling" down on Batman cause they plan to move forward with or without Affleck and have an idea of when Reeves Batman movie is going to happen. And the DCEU has bad word of mouth because WB is a leaky ass studio and every decision they make gets leaked whether they go through with it or not.

Nah they have bad word of mouth becuase objectively half of their output to this date happens to be bad.

kmfdmpig

Ion know about all dat bruh. A Plastic Man movie will never pull Batman numbers.

True, a minor character will not pull Batman numbers. At this point though we're not talking about a "Batman" movie, but some of the movies that are related to Batman less directly. I think that a Plastic Man movie would have a reasonable chance of outperforming a Red Robin movie, for example, and despite that I suspect that it would be less likely to be made.
Batgirl, Nightwing, Gotham City Sirens, noir-like Joker, Batman, it certainly seems like there is an over-representation of Batman properties in DC films, and tonally they'll likely be fairly similar.
What Marvel has done well with is having different types of movies with different tones. DC can do that as well if they hit with Shazam and ever get JLD moving, but overly fixating on Batman makes it harder for them to hit a range of different types of movies.

I don't understand laughing at the viability of "lesser" characters when the entire MCU exists. No one's even going as low as Plastic Man, either. We're talking the Flash's and Martian Manhunter's of the universe.

If Feige had shrugged at the idea that Iron Man couldn't become a bigger box office draw than the X-Men, we wouldn't be where we are now.

Ross61

True, a minor character will not pull Batman numbers. At this point though we're not talking about a "Batman" movie, but some of the movies that are related to Batman less directly. I think that a Plastic Man movie would have a reasonable chance of outperforming a Red Robin movie, for example, and despite that I suspect that it would be less likely to be made.
Batgirl, Nightwing, Gotham City Sirens, noir-like Joker, Batman, it certainly seems like there is an over-representation of Batman properties in DC films, and tonally they'll likely be fairly similar.
What Marvel has done well with is having different types of movies with different tones. DC can do that as well if they hit with Shazam and ever get JLD moving, but overly fixating on Batman makes it harder for them to hit a range of different types of movies.
Well I highly disagree with a Plastic Man movie outperforming a Red Robin, especially when it can also be made with a lower budgets. In fact, all those Batman related properties you just named can be made with lower budget and have different tone. And they're low risk! They're one of the most attractive option WB has.Hell the trades mentioned that lower budgets were one of the reasons for the Elsewords film(this would include the Joker origin.

IconGrist

Saying nothing will pull Batman numbers is a bit disingenuous when a Wonder Woman origin movie is now top dog among all other origin movies, including Batman. If Jenkins pulls another win there's no reason to think WW2 wouldn't meet or exceed TDK/TDKR numbers.

Ross61

When Insay Batman's potential, I truly believe that the next Batman movie could become within the top 20 or even top 10 highest grossing movies of all time. How many other DC characters can really say that?

Penguin

Saying nothing will pull Batman numbers is a bit disingenuous when a Wonder Woman origin movie is now top dog among all other origin movies, including Batman. If Jenkins pulls another win there's no reason to think WW2 wouldn't meet or exceed TDK/TDKR numbers.

To be fair, there still only remains one other character who has pulled Batman numbers in a solo film and that's Iron Man and even then that took a ton of work and riding the Avengers high

IconGrist

When Insay Batman's potential, I truly believe that the next Batman movie could become within the top 20 or even top 10 highest grossing movies of all time. How many other DC characters can really say that?

Literally any character given proper treatment. Batman's not especially interesting or even unique. He's been given more focus over the years especially after the Nolan films positively reintroduced the character to the general public. Historically Batman's not been DC's crowned king. That's more of a recent development.

shingi70

Banned

Most of the big seven given the time and love. Superheroes aren't just about box office but merchandise. Making more batman movies is moot considering that Batman merchaise is saturated to a point where it doesn't really matter. Why invest in more batman when we see how well Suicide Squad. wonder Woman and DC Superhero girls has done in that department.

Ross61

Most of the big seven given the time and love. Superheroes aren't just about box office but merchandise. Making more batman movies is moot considering that Batman merchaise is saturated to a point where it doesn't really matter. Why invest in more batman when we see how well Suicide Squad. wonder Woman and DC Superhero girls has done in that department.
Because you can invest in more a Batman, Suicide Squad, Wonder Woman, AND DC Superhero girls. Which they've done lol.
We have WW 2 already dated, Suicide Squad 2 getting fast-tracked, and more DC Superhero Girls content coming with a brand new show coming. You can do both an get all the money.

shingi70

Banned
Because you can invest in more a Batman, Suicide Squad, Wonder Woman, AND DC Superhero girls. Which they've done lol.
We have WW 2 already dated, Suicide Squad 2 getting fast-tracked, and more DC Superhero Girls content coming with a brand new show coming. You can do both an get all the money.

At this point I assume your being purposley obtuse.

The point was if they have had success opening up potential revenue streams than why double down on Batman family movies. You could achieve alot more doing Titans, New Gods, Swamp Thing, and Blue Beetle.

Ross61

At this point I assume your being purposley obtuse.

The point was if they have had success opening up potential revenue streams than why double down on Batman family movies. You could achieve alot more doing Titans, New Gods, Swamp Thing, and Blue Beetle.
And I'm saying why shouldn't they just do both?

kmfdmpig

I don't disagree with that, but I think you're overestimating the appeal of the peripheral Bat-family characters. I agree with your point that they are better off doing both, not one or the other.
Red Robin who I mentioned earlier, for example, would not have mass appeal.
Nightwing will have more, but it will still be an uphill battle, I suspect.

So many of the Bat-family characters are just "Batman-like" to the mainstream audience that I think there's both the risk that they feel derivative and feel like less important movies in general. Batgirl might be able to escape that as she's more established and other than Wonder Woman we still have not seen many women in these movies.

If I were tasked with charting a Bat-universe I think the most I would recommend would be:
Batman - obvious
Nightwing - with a hard focus on him being charming and trying to live a normal life
Batgirl - With a much lighter tone
Batwoman - supernatural horror
Gotham City Sirens - focusing on the camaraderie of some of the villains

That would be it though. I wouldn't try to go deeper as I don't think people want to see a Huntress movie or a Red Robin movie or a Matches Malone on a single mission, or a Ra's Al Ghul origin, or Elseworlds about The Mad Hatter.

The wider DC Universe offers so much potential for DC which has not really been touched yet:
Magic (Zatanna, or JLD if it ever happens), space (GL, Invasion), kid-friendly (Shazam, Elongated Man, Superhero Girls, Booster and Beetle), other teams than JL (Teen Titans, JSA, LSH), mystery (Plastic Man, Elongated Man, the Question).

I have no Idea what's going on in this thread.

Rvaan

Banned
The wider DC Universe offers so much potential for DC which has not really been touched yet:
Magic (Zatanna, or JLD if it ever happens), space (GL, Invasion), kid-friendly (Shazam, Elongated Man, Superhero Girls,Booster and Beetle), other teams than JL (Teen Titans, JSA, LSH), mystery (Plastic Man, Elongated Man, the Question).

If I was in charge over at WB I'd go to Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill will with a copy of Booster Gold: Blue and Gold, drop on their laps, and ask "You in or are you in?"

kmfdmpig

If I was in charge over at WB I'd go to Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill will with a copy of Booster Gold: Blue and Gold, drop on their laps, and ask "You in or are you in?"

Yeah, you'd almost need to cast two people that already have great chemistry as the whole success or failure of that movie would be based on the comedic chemistry of the leads.

Penguin

Like I said last night, we're at peak WB meets peak Interneting and it causes a lot of mayhem and confusion.

But to give you an idea of what I meant. This is SOME of the projects that were in production at some point between Batman and Robin and Batman Begins. You tell me which made the cut!

5th Burton/Schumacher Batman film. Batman Unchained would have had Scarecrow as the villain and at some point the fear gas would have him hallucinate Nicholson's Joker. I believe how it went.

Then they moved on to an adaption of Batman Beyond or Batman: Year One.
The Year One script had a LOT of big names attached to it and kept getting retooled.
Oddly enough it does kind of form the basis for Begins so I guess eventually the idea won out.

Then there was talks of doing a Batman vs Superman movie (guess some ideas don't die down)

There was the Catwoman spin-off, which sadly did get made. Ideas for a Robin spin-off.

My point is, they have a very... bizarre process over there. And a lot of these things won't see the light of day. But since everything is reported on now, everyone just kind of runs with it.

Neophant

It makes sense WB would seem to be doubling down and making deals to release Batman or Batman-related movies seemingly over other characters from the DC Universe, it's what made them bank back when the 1989 Tim Burton film became a huge hit and phenomenon, and apart from Superman and now Wonder Woman, all of the other successful movies have been related to the Dark Knight.

I think it's important that WB figures out the right platform to release media and shows based on the sensibilities and style of the characters they want to market. Somebody like Plastic Man would be great for cartoons and Teen Titans Go-like wackiness, and if that ends up being successful, there could be a movie featuring him in a solo capacity. It's all about establishing that fanbase first, and I do feel that WB is slowly at least trying this with the CW shows, DC Superhero Girls, and the upcoming stuff for the streaming service like Titans.

Penguin

It makes sense WB would seem to be doubling down and making deals to release Batman or Batman-related movies seemingly over other characters from the DC Universe, it's what made them bank back when the 1989 Tim Burton film became a huge hit and phenomenon, and apart from Superman and now Wonder Woman, all of the other successful movies have been related to the Dark Knight.

I think it's important that WB figures out the right platform to release media and shows based on the sensibilities and style of the characters they want to market. Somebody like Plastic Man would be great for cartoons and Teen Titans Go-like wackiness, and if that ends up being successful, there could be a movie featuring him in a solo capacity. It's all about establishing that fanbase first, and I do feel that WB is slowly at least trying this with the CW shows, DC Superhero Girls, and the upcoming stuff for the streaming service like Titans.

Eh I agree and disagree

I do think this is them branching out. It's just once you get past the League, a lot of their 2nd tier popular characters are tied to Batman because it's been such a big brand.

I mean Harley's 2nd biggest female character. And if not her probably Catwoman (also Batman related) or someone like Zatanna who also has ties to Batman.

Teen Titans... ties to Batman
Young Justice...ties to Batman
The Outsiders... ties to Batman
JLI...ties to Batman

Anyhow, things have moved so quickly and out of date now, but wrote up some thoughts on the Jokers' origin movies and DC's Elseworlds approach

http://nerdsontherocks.com/wb-and-the-man-who-laughs/

Ninjimbo

This is so weird.

We just didn't like the movies, blood. We're not obligated to do so because he worked hard at it. Wtf.
What's so weird about wanting to see Snyder's vision through the end? I like his movies and BvS is GOAT material for me. Am I supposed to take his shutting out like I just got a free tickets to a Kanye concert?

I have no Idea what's going on in this thread.

Because I'm challenging the idiotic notion that Batman is the only DC character worth WB's investment?

Breh.

What's so weird about wanting to see Snyder's vision through the end? I like his movies and BvS is GOAT material for me. Am I supposed to take his shutting out like I just got a free tickets to a Kanye concert?

That's not weird. I never said it was.

It's weird getting mad at the people who didn't want that. A lot of people just didn't like his vision. That's fine.

Dead

well not really...yet
That would be like insult onto injury ;(

Neophant

Eh I agree and disagree

I do think this is them branching out. It's just once you get past the League, a lot of their 2nd tier popular characters are tied to Batman because it's been such a big brand.

I mean Harley's 2nd biggest female character. And if not her probably Catwoman (also Batman related) or someone like Zatanna who also has ties to Batman.

Teen Titans... ties to Batman
Young Justice...ties to Batman
The Outsiders... ties to Batman
JLI...ties to Batman

Which is why I think it's important to continue expanding the DC brand to go beyond Batman and his associated cohorts. That's why I mentioned the CW shows (apart from Arrow's aesthetic being similar) not having Batman in any of the shows, the DC Superhero Girls featuring characters apart from Harley, Ivy, and Batgirl, and Titans being more of an ensemble team than one necessarily led by a former Batman sidekick.

There's plenty of potential for more characters to break out into the mainstream consciousness, and Wonder Woman looks to be only the start. Now, if only we can get some news about the Shazam and Flash movie...

Penguin

Which is why I think it's important to continue expanding the DC brand to go beyond Batman and his associated cohorts. That's why I mentioned the CW shows (apart from Arrow's aesthetic being similar) not having Batman in any of the shows, the DC Superhero Girls featuring characters apart from Harley, Ivy, and Batgirl, and Titans being more of an ensemble team than one necessarily led by a former Batman sidekick.

There's plenty of potential for more characters to break out into the mainstream consciousness, and Wonder Woman looks to be only the start. Now, if only we can get some news about the Shazam and Flash movie...

Ha I guess my point is even if it doesn't directly have Batman, people will still see it as a Bat-verse

Arrow (right or wrong) was/is criticized for being Batman-lite. And it doesn't help when "borrow" some of his more popular enemies and associations.

J_Viper

My Hot Take

JL opening weekend will decide their plans going forward

Anything announced until then, aside from WW2, is vaporware

Top Bottom