• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #26 | goodbye white man blinking gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Drew is following his calling and is becoming a lumberjack:
rs_560x415-131007161311-rs_1024x759-131001115349-1024.dxter-finale.ls.10113.jpg

Found some randon Drew stuff in my gb folder:

AkwlQFE.gif

sWmX9NW.jpg

CdwQrKp.gif

ZdzLG2p.gif

93mbyt0.gif

Still pretty bummed about all this :(
Best of luck to drew

Also if he truly want a challenge he should go be next big camera and editor guy over at VaynerMedia
they just posted a job listing on youtube and looking for real talent.
Company did $100 million in revenue last year so pay should not be the problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m9SOmF0Cpo

I was always really impressed with just how much Drew stepped up after Ryan passed away. He never seemed the most confident guy infront of the camera back then but he did it all anyway.

The Whiskey Media basement was really the best of times wasnt it?

Jeff, Brad, Vinny, Ryan, Alex, Rorie, Patrick, Drew, Dave, Alexis, Will and Norm. All under one slightly leaky roof.

That was a crew

The biggest shock from the Drew news is the Jason hate. Fuck that noise!

It's not hate. He's great behind the camera, his tricaster stuff was genuinely hilarious, he's also decent in front of the camera as part of the team, but as a main guy for however long it takes for the new hires to arrive it's not the best situation.

Could you imagine Jason as part of Game Tapes or Demo Derby?

Let us all remember Drew at his best:

A wall butt story.

It really doesn't feel like (nearly) three years ago. I still vividly remember playing Dark Souls 2, in the poison swamp area, when I heard this story.
What are some of your guys favorite Whiskey media era GB videos (TNT, etc)? Obviously fortune Street, but besides that?

What years were the "Whiskey-era"? I've never been quite clear, having gotten into GB some time later.

daveo42

Banned
Yeah, that is really strange.

Has to do with open reqs from HR and fiscal year budgeting/planning. You basically have a budget for a specific number of FHEs (full hour employees) and usually cannot open a req until the former position if vacated. The only times when job openings appear without anyone leaving are when you are budgeted for a new person. Not really a strange issue, just corporate policy.

Zaph

Strax

Has to do with open reqs from HR and fiscal year budgeting/planning. You basically have a budget for a specific number of FHEs (full hour employees) and usually cannot open a req until the former position if vacated. The only times when job openings appear without anyone leaving are when you are budgeted for a new person. Not really a strange issue, just corporate policy.

You say this like it's everywhere like this. I've never heard of it before so it's strange to me.
But mostly stupid and inefficient.

daveo42

Banned
You say this like it's everywhere like this. I've never heard of it before so it's strange to me.
But mostly stupid and inefficient.

Corporate America is totally like this tho. Totally not a Giant Bomb thing, this is a CBSi restriction.

Source: I've worked in a large corporation (Fortune 500) for the past 11 years and have worked closely with our budgeting and finance teams in years past.

The Whiskey Media basement was really the best of times wasnt it?

Jeff, Brad, Vinny, Ryan, Alex, Rorie, Patrick, Drew, Dave, Alexis, Will and Norm. All under one slightly leaky roof.

That was a crew
This has me thinking about how Giant Bomb's "supporting cast" has withered, how much they helped rounding out the site. Even during the CBSi days, they still had a decent rogues gallery around to pull in help when they needed extra manpower on short notice with Dave, Alexis, Ian from engineering, and Danny and Mary from Gamespot. Now they're all gone, and there haven't really been anyone to replace them.

Well, there's Rorie, I do appreciate his weird humor, but he's trapped in the support dungeon all day and keeping up on games isn't really his job, and Peter Brown, who's fine, but there's obviously a limit to how much of his time they can take up. I think they need to do more than just replace the missing GB staff, maybe, as Jeff once talked about, getting a dedicated person to book guests and such would be the solution. Though given the speed CBSi works at I'm not holding my breath for that happening any time soon.

I really hope demo derby keeps going.
Still shocked about Drew will miss him, But I am sure whatever is next for him will be cool.

I really hope they get new blood in GB West soon. At least before bread leaves.

Nero18

This has me thinking about how Giant Bomb's "supporting cast" has withered, how much they helped rounding out the site. Even during the CBSi days, they still had a decent rogues gallery around to pull in help when they needed extra manpower on short notice with Dave, Alexis, Ian from engineering, and Danny and Mary from Gamespot. Now they're all gone, and there haven't really been anyone to replace them.

Well, there's Rorie, I do appreciate his weird humor, but he's trapped in the support dungeon all day and keeping up on games isn't really his job, and Peter Brown, who's fine, but there's obviously a limit to how much of his time they can take up. I think they need to do more than just replace the missing GB staff, maybe, as Jeff once talked about, getting a dedicated person to book guests and such would be the solution. Though given the speed CBSi works at I'm not holding my breath for that happening any time soon.

These things naturally get harder as the organization grows and becomes part of a corporation, you can't really just ask people to show up without pay and stuff.

Hate to triple post but I just finished Chapter 8 of Yakuza 0 and HOLY FUCK, this game is good.

GOTY 2017 frontrunner.

uyiaymcpiujq.gif

wlfffnu90.png

My jaw hurts from all the cringing I did while reading the Drew thread over in Gaming.

Well...

Got the #27 banner ready

MHYJgJt.jpg

I'd stick by GB even if it was just Jeff. I've jumped on this ride because of him and Ryan way back when at GS and there ain't no getting off this ride for me. In it all the way.

Hasney

These things naturally get harder as the organization grows and becomes part of a corporation, you can't really just ask people to show up without pay and stuff.

Yeah, it also seems like a lot of the back end staff are more generalised too looking at the job postings. There are some site specific jobs, but a front-end developer will work on all the brands.

Everything before March 2013

It's kinda two things:

The start of GB in the Sausalito office, aka Basement-era, circa 2009 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHxIQe4Hzw8

Then the main Whiskey-era when they moved to SF at the end of 2011 and we saw more involvement from the other sites because they were all in the same room https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZSHPhPTChI
Thanks. That's later than I thought!

I must have been casually following GB for far longer than I thought, because I know I was eagerly watching QLs even in 2012. Don't think I went Premium until later, though, which is when I'd started to have some semblance of understanding for behind-the-scenes stuff.

Giant Bomb needs to release an official timeline, with various milestones and stuff so I can keep track of everything.

I'd like to think that this all ends up with Jeff on his own sitting on the set, pulling out an elaborate horn, blowing it and yelling "to me, my Whiskey Media Brethren!" and then everyone just flocks back onto the set and we'll have the second coming of Whiskey Media.

Thanks. That's later than I thought!

I must have been casually following GB for far longer than I thought, because I know I was eagerly watching QLs even in 2012. Don't think I went Premium until later, though, which is when I'd started to have some semblance of understanding for behind-the-scenes stuff.

Giant Bomb needs to release an official timeline, with various milestones and stuff so I can keep track of everything.

Yea I just started following last year, its fun to go back and watch old videos which is why I am asking :)

Penitentiary Body

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLOCZ8QV3so

This stream was something special.

Thanks, I will check that out!

Random PC Game is still the best video series on the site. Outside of Jeff and Vinny and Jeff and Ryan, Vinny and Dave were the best duo.

I can definitely agree with that from the handful I have watched. They are easily some of my favorite videos so far :)

Give Jason time. He wasn't really a on camera dude before GB and after Patrick and Drew I think we have learned some people just need to grow into the role over time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom