• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive |OT| The bomb has been planted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beepos

Bought from memories of 1.4 on dialup over 10+ years ago.

Either COD has changed the way I play shooters or I was never as good as I thought I was at CS. No matter what I try, at the moment guys just headshot me even If I get the jump on them. Does not bode well for someone who normally aims for upper body mass. (Again blaming COD here, where 3 bullets puts someone down).

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
I hate the PP Bizon. I really hope in the full version Demolition and Arms Race will allow for different weapon progression.

I was a beast in CS. Played hundreds of hours. Weekly practices. Cal-i. After not being very impressed with Source, I bought this version purely out of respect. If this is the best they can do after 10 years, then that's pretty sad. Graphics are still painfully dated. The sound volumes are all messed up. The server browser needs to be taken out back and shot. And these new game modes just segment the community.

This feels like a milking of $15 when they really should be working on CS2.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I own all three systems but I'm gonna go with Xbl I think because I wanna play with controller...

The PC version has controller support.

I was a beast in CS. Played hundreds of hours. Weekly practices. Cal-i. After not being very impressed with Source, I bought this version purely out of respect. If this is the best they can do after 10 years, then that's pretty sad. Graphics are still painfully dated. The sound volumes are all messed up. The server browser needs to be taken out back and shot. And these new game modes just segment the community.

I doubt that; 1.6 and Source already have their fair share of those who prefer server-side mods. Having GunGame and possibly other popular mods as official game types isn't going to change anything.

Wait, no EU PSN information?

Saw quite a few people asking about it on the ps blog and getting no reply, everything else where only seems to reference NA also.

I want to buy this for the 360 as I loved the xbox version back in the day, but I also loved 1.6 and source on pc especially for z-mod, so amazing.

Will likely buy it for console and pc, but console first while the user base is high.

Zeppelin

Valve never understood competitive gaming or what made Counter-Strike great. Seeing this makes me wonder if they ever will.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Native controller support?

2012-08-20_000037hl7g.jpg

;)

I doubt that; 1.6 and Source already have their fair share of those who prefer server-side mods. Having GunGame and possibly other popular mods as official game types isn't going to change anything.

Fine, then make it filter-able in the browser. Trying to find a Classic Competitive server is a pain in the ass. (no, I don't quick-match)

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Nice, although that would be a distinct disadvantage in most MP matches. How is the the bot situation in GO? Is it totally customizable?

There are 3 difficulty levels IIRC. You can also make them harmless, but you can't force them to use a certain weapon like in Source.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
So PS3 has kbm support? Controller people would be easy fodder. Not sure how I feel about that.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
You gotta be fucking kidding. They have owned the Counter-Strike IP for a decade but it being one of the most successful competitive games ever has nothing to do with them. The only thing that they've used it for is to push Steam and putting out Source. They didn't create that scene and they haven't given a fuck about it up until very recently. But yeah, good fucking job on being a decade late to the party.

You can give Valve credit for a lot of things but the absolutely retarded way they have handled esports in isn't one of them.

Jeez.

garath

The only reason I haven't fired this up yet is knowing I'm going to spend more time in the autoexec.cfg than the game for the first few hours. My CS:S config was a finely tuned effort set up perfectly for me.

I want my buy scripts (especially after seeing that strange radial menu), my mouse tweaks and sensitivity and my key binds. sigh.

StuBurns

Banned
UT3 had mkb support too. Why is this a big deal? Step your game up son.
And that community curled up and died practically upon release.

It's nothing about stepping your game up, have you played Counter-Strike? The advantage of mouse look is inline with arm wrestling superman in that game. The 360 version will be fine I'm sure, but no one wants to play against people with such a huge advantage, and even if match making puts people together that are aligned regardless of their interface, it's always going to irritate people that a specific death was the result of a mouse.

And that community curled up and died practically upon release.

It's nothing about stepping your game up, have you played Counter-Strike? The advantage of mouse look is inline with arm wrestling superman in that game. The 360 version will be fine I'm sure, but no one wants to play against people with such a huge advantage, and even if match making puts people together that are aligned regardless of their interface, it's always going to irritate people that a specific death was the result of a mouse.

Picking up 360 ver. Thanks to this post. Which i tottally agree.

And I'll stand by that. But maybe it's better to take that in some other thread. I shouldn't have brought it up.

I have to admit I agree with your sentiments.

Even with Dota 2, they've bought into a game/genre which they had no hand in creating. They've bludgeoned their way into the community as well by offering a $1 million tournament; that will automatically pique interest.

Having said that, VALVe are notoriously consumer friendly; they will continue to support their products for free.

I don't expect the Counter Strike competitive scene to be resurrected after the release of GO. I will get involved once again in the hope I can find some like minded people to play with/against.

Maffis

Is there a way to get the crosshair more visible? I'm having trouble because I can't see my crosshair when there's light in the background.

StuBurns

Banned
Is there a way to get the crosshair more visible? I'm having trouble because I can't see my crosshair when there's light in the background.
There is more than one crosshair, not sure if the other one is better though, I'll check.

EDIT: Not really, try changing the colour though, green won't contrast as much of the maps as the blue.

Celegus

I played way too much Source back in high school and it was great fun, but at this point I have pretty much no interest in a game like this anymore. Hope it at least sells well, so that Hidden Path can get some more $$$ and make me Defense Grid 2.

feel

I've never been votekicked as much as I have in this game and I have no idea why
By any chance was there a round starting at around the same time you decided to type this post that you were supposed to be playing in?

Loving the game so far, wish more of my friends would pick it up. This probably seems like a silly thing to complain about but models of the T's on Office are so bad. Usually character models don't bother me but the butt and the crotch area on the models looks totally ridiculous.

Arnie

Was a huge CS player back in the day, 1.6 and Source, however I don't play PC games anymore. I'll pick this one up on 360 out of morbid curiosity, back when I used to play on PC, the idea of Counterstrike with an Xbox controller made me shudder. I'll give it a look.

All the footage I can find is against bots, which really doesn't tell me anything.

Is there any good 360 footage featuring decent players?

Zeppelin

I have to admit I agree with your sentiments.

Even with Dota 2, they've bought into a game/genre which they had no hand in creating. They've bludgeoned their way into the community as well by offering a $1 million tournament; that will automatically pique interest.

Having said that, VALVe are notoriously consumer friendly; they will continue to support their products for free.

I don't expect the Counter Strike competitive scene to be resurrected after the release of GO. I will get involved once again in the hope I can find some like minded people to play with/against.

Yes, this is exactly how I feel. But I'll leave the thread for those interested in GO now. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom