• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive |OT| The bomb has been planted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zia

Thanks for stepping up and doing the OT, OP!

Former competitive CS player here (CAL-P, Red Bull-sponsored Grrls team), and if you're an old 1.whatever player that's on the fence, and not cynical enough to immediately detest the game while simultaneously unable to articulate why, give it a chance. I didn't enjoy Source until last year, when Hidden Path started on their regular revisions based on community feedback. This version has the benefit of launching with that kind of care. Valve has Volcano doing competitive maps that will be officially supported, they've brought GunGame in-house, they've created a custom zombie model for Zombie Mod. They're launching this right -- a CS game has not had the benefit of launching in the era of Valve as service provider and, though I really enjoy what's there now, if the community embraces the game I think it'll evolve into something really special.

I'm not sure how supportive VALVe are going to be with CS:GO.

It seems as if DotA2 is their focus for the forseeable future as they still have a significant amount of heroes to release.

They could bunch the update and release it in one go.

There is plenty of content for the price.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

It seems as if DotA2 is their focus for the forseeable future as they still have a significant amount of heroes to release.

Valve has almost 400 employees. More than enough to go around!

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I'm surprised to see so many console buyers here. I'm definitely going to try it out on the 360, but I'm concerned about the patch situation on it.

Interfectum

CS:GO is going to have full Steam Workshop support. Expect tons of maps / mods for this sucker (on PC).

There was a massive lull earlier this year where they ignored the CS:GO beta.

Their support for Portal 2 has been fractured at best.

It took them over a year to ship Cold Stream to console.

Don't get me wrong, I want them updates.

Dumb question here, but should I be having slowdown/lag when playing just with bots with graphic settings mostly on medium? Is it just because it's the beta?

Basic specs:

Intel Core i5-480M 2.66GHz
4GB Memory 640GB HDD
AMD Radeon HD 6550M

Bought it out of love for the old versions, I was one of the few people that could enjoy 1.6/CS Source for what they were, put about 700 hours each.

I dont have much time to play anymore but I enjoy that I can play competitive mode and most rounds last about ~3 minutes. Perfect game for quick bouts whenever I find the time.

So far I really like the game, I do miss being able to rush with the AWP in Source but I also understand why they had to balance that.

Also where is the Mp5? :(

I really like the volumetric smoke grenade, it was a pleasant surprise seeing one deployed in Dust tunnels.

This game also makes me remember how special the Source engine is as far as input goes, the mouse movement is so precise and fluid, like surgery, playing BF3 after CS:GO feels horrible.

Rad-

I'm buying this on 360. Dunno why because playing CS on a console sounds hilarious.

...Maybe that's exactly why.

But to be fair, Team Fortress 2 was surprisingly fun on 360. Until Valve killed it with that class lock patch.

This game also makes me remember how special the Source engine is as far as input goes, the mouse movement is so precise and fluid, like surgery, playing BF3 after CS:GO feels horrible.

Not that I've played enough GO, but I feel the opposite in the regards to Source. CS:S just feels bloated; there's a genuine input delay that I don't seem to get with BF3.

Booter

I've been enjoying the fuck out of this beta for a while. Disclosure: been playing cs for ~10 years. I love how they've buffed a lot of the lesser-used guns, the variety is much stronger than I remember it being in source. Office 24/7 maps please.

Graphics are still painfully dated.

I think the graphics in CS:GO are really good.

Dgott

Banned
What happened to "Pre-order on the PS3 and have the demo automatically downloaded to your console over night, ready to play the demo the morning of the 20th"?? Awoke to NOTHING.

Not that I've played enough GO, but I feel the opposite in the regards to Source. CS:S just feels bloated; there's a genuine input delay that I don't seem to get with BF3.

The hit detection on Source was atrocious. I realize it's the same engine, but I will admit that it doesn't seem too bad in GO. It felt pretty solid - although I admit I haven't put many hours into GO, nor do I feel like I want to.

Loving the game so far, wish more of my friends would pick it up. This probably seems like a silly thing to complain about but models of the T's on Office are so bad. Usually character models don't bother me but the butt and the crotch area on the models looks totally ridiculous.

Everyone is hating on the hipster terrorists, rocking the skinny jeans.

DirtyLary

Picking this up on PS3 for sure.

There should be a good competitive community for this game with all the disgruntled Socom players flocking to it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The hit detection on Source was atrocious. I realize it's the same engine, but I will admit that it doesn't seem too bad in GO. It felt pretty solid - although I admit I haven't put many hours into GO, nor do I feel like I want to.

In my experience, CS:S's hit detection is fine on LAN but questionable when it comes to online play. GO seems fine, though, judging from the few online games I've played (~60ms).

feel

Any idea of the framerate on consoles?

If I double dip to play with both sets of friends, going from 120fps to 30fps could be a bit jarring (back and forth between KB&M and Controller is no problem for me).

edit-

DARN, oh well, it'll probably be ok

Mr YuYu

360 for me

Convinced a few of my xbros to pick it up as well, plus the 3 or 4 ex-PC CS buddies I have on my friends list. Really hoping that enough interest for a league pops up.. oh lawd the memories.

Anyone wanna set up a 360CS gamertag?

If anyone feels like doing this. pls add me: Mr YuYu

I would do it myself but i lack the time unfortunatly.

I'm a good teamplayer but have no mic!

And that community curled up and died practically upon release.

It's nothing about stepping your game up, have you played Counter-Strike? The advantage of mouse look is inline with arm wrestling superman in that game. The 360 version will be fine I'm sure, but no one wants to play against people with such a huge advantage, and even if match making puts people together that are aligned regardless of their interface, it's always going to irritate people that a specific death was the result of a mouse.
it seems to be (theoretically) just fine to me:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/08/13/counter-strike-global-offensive-coming-to-psn-august-21st/ said:
Naturally, support for these devices means that different players in the same match might be using different controllers. Players using mouse and keyboard might end up playing against players using a joystick or motion controls. Our matchmaking system allows us to support all of these input devices without disrupting the balance of the game – you’ll be matched against players who perform at your skill level, regardless of what controller you (or they) choose to use.

i'm more concerned about dedicated servers and offline+online simultaneous play tbh.

Wait, no EU PSN information?

Saw quite a few people asking about it on the ps blog and getting no reply, everything else where only seems to reference NA also.

Anyone? Can't find anything on it other than worldwide release on 21st, but there's been some silence over EU.

If it IS being delayed in Europe, then I really wish Sony would speak up about it rather than leaving people confused - not the first time either.

Edit:

Someone asked on the EU Blog about a release this week

Posted on 20 August, 2012 at 3:12 pm by Fred Dutton
This is a question for Valve I’m afraid. As soon as I have some concrete info I’ll be sure to let you know.

Why don't they have concrete info a day before it's supposed launch? If enough Gaffers get it on 360 then I may purchase it on there, plus I have a mic :]

spootime

I think I'll hold off on buying this for a month of so, since I'm getting back into SC2. I have to admit, HPE/Valve did a really really good job with that last patch. Movement feels great, most recoil feels great, and now there's mushroom CT's!

One thing that still bothers me is that it doesn't seem like there is a significant recoil penalty to strafing and shooting at the same time close to medium range. I find that people who have p90's or m4's are often able to just run forward or sideways and hold their trigger down to kill me. Since tagging is mostly gone, its also hard to slow them down. Still though, its a minor gripe but I do hope they change it.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I think I'll hold off on buying this for a month of so, since I'm getting back into SC2.

But it's cheaper now and comes with a TF2 promo item.

Anyway. I've been playing the beta since February, and it's been an absolute blast.

CoolS

There was a massive lull earlier this year where they ignored the CS:GO beta.

Their support for Portal 2 has been fractured at best.

It took them over a year to ship Cold Stream to console.

Don't get me wrong, I want them updates.

Well, since HPE is mainly updating CS:Go, I wouldn't worry about that so much. The big patch was probably delayed for so long to get the game into a "releaseable" game or something". Ther have been a couple of small patches since and I'm sure they will keep supporting it. Have faith man!

On an unrelated note, after all this years I still seem to miss the 100% shots, i.e. the guy doesn't see me and I have enough time to set up my shot. I ALWAYS miss and the other guy kills me -.-

I played the beta for around 40 hours, but I'm not buying GO, too contrived and redundant these days.

I don't play Battlefield or CoD so these are rather bleak FPS times for me.

Maybe you have mouse acceleration and/or v sync on?

BTW its not only the input, is the animations too, the animations in BF3 are beautiful but they get in the way of gameplay for me, too much head bobbing, shaking and crazy movement in general while going to crouch, prone, reloading, etc.

Dont get me wrong, I still enjoy both games, and comparing them is kind of weird/unfair since they provide a very different experience, but as far as the shooting aspect goes, CS just feels way more precise to me.

Is there any report function in the beta? I'm tired of racist kids.

Off as always. We'll leave it there then.

I am itching to play some more. Had a good session yesterday with a few mates. A lot of chat was exchanged with a lot of people sworn at/told to sit down.

Valve shooters are pretty much the same as CoD and Halo in the crowds they attract these days, been so for a long time, just mute all.

Popularity brings the assholes in, inevitable.

CyReN

g5hhQ.png

He better have messed up..

CoolS

Btw. Everyone(!!!!) needs to use the GldSrc commands from the OP. I can actually tell where sounds are coming from now. So awesome!

alf717

Btw. Everyone(!!!!) needs to use the GldSrc commands from the OP. I can actually tell where sounds are coming from now. So awesome!

I think it sounds fine on my 5.1 setup. Is this for headphone people only? Also why does the game say I already own it? I was an early beta person does that mean I get the game free? Or is it a glitch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom