• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digimon World: -Next Order- |OT| Back To The Digital World We Go...

Kouriozan

I'm having a tons of fun with this game, prosperity is only at 15 with almost 10 hours in already but I like taking it slow.
Will definitely plat this.

kubus

Yes, 3ds version is better.
Yeah, Re: Digitize is the only other one. The 3DS version is basically the "Ultimate Edition" so I'd get that.
3DS version is updated version from PSP in pretty much everyway Ive heard. Unless there are some bad features I havent heard about, go for 3DS version. But like I dont thats the case.

3DS version greatly improved roster, added online multiplayer and even gave big post game quests.
Loud and clear! Thanks all, I'll try and scoop up a 3DS copy then :D.

Oh shit does he act like Gallantmon all the time? This could be wild.

Yeah, his mannerisms are strereotpyical old-japanese/Samurai-esque, he should be nothing like Season 3 Guilmon.

Also, I've added some tips to the second post , if you have anything to add, anything is incorrect or you feel shouldn't be there let me know.

AlanOC91

Average really, Jijimon has probably least average voice actor but lol MachineDRAYmon.

Guilmon's voice actor however holy shit what. Its... not expected.

I immediately saved the game, quit and changed to Japanese voice language. I just couldn't take hearing MachineDRAYmon.

Only thing keeping me on the fence is the price point. $60 USD is steep.

I also have fond memories of World 1. I'd probably get my money's worth. Ugh, need to decide soon.

I've been playing normal difficulty so far and it's been pretty tough.
I think I'll have to invest some time in getting the training facility upgraded if I want to be strong enough to progress the story.
I got one shot by the first Machindramon boss fight and lost again on a second try, though it was much closer. After the second attempt my partners were out of time however...

I really wish they'd put the original Digimon World up on the PSN. With this game coming out, it really seems like the best time to do it. I don't know why they seem so allergic to re-releasing the older Digimon games, especially given the prices they go for now.

That said, I'm really looking forward to playing a 'modernized' version of the gameplay of the first Digimon World. Sadly my backlog is so huge right now that I'm not sure when I'll get around to playing it. Cyber Sleuth was one of my favorite games last year and anything new when it comes to Digimon is always appreciated.

RockmanBN

Grew up only on the second and third game which I enjoyed both games respective genre. The second game being a dungeon crawler with battles like Cyber Sleuth and the third game being more akin to 1v1 Pokemon JRPG. Decided to try out the first game and I had a delightful experience. I enjoyed the raising aspect where good attention would reward you with a stronger Digimon. Only gripe was that it sucked that the Gym upgrades were near end game and that the bonus gimmick was rigged.

Since this is basically a sequel to the first game. Have they improved the gym to make grinding faster?

Also does the game tell you the attributes you need to digivolve similarly like Cyber Sleuth?

Finally, is city building back like the original where recruiting Digimon would slowly show the progress of File city? I heard that aspect was pretty bad in Redigitize.

Grew up only on the second and third game which I enjoyed both games respective genre. The second game being a dungeon crawler with battles like Cyber Sleuth and the third game being more akin to 1v1 Pokemon JRPG. Decided to try out the first game and I had a delightful experience. I enjoyed the raising aspect where good attention would reward you with a stronger Digimon. Only gripe was that it sucked that the Gym upgrades were near end game and that the bonus gimmick was rigged.

Since this is basically a sequel to the first game. Have they improved the gym to make grinding faster?

Also does the game tell you the attributes you need to digivolve similarly like Cyber Sleuth?

Finally, is city building back like the original where recruiting Digimon would slowly show the progress of File city? I heard that aspect was pretty bad in Redigitize.

Yes,Yes[ you have to gain each stat value 1 by 1 though],Yes

I really wish they'd put the original Digimon World up on the PSN. With this game coming out, it really seems like the best time to do it. I don't know why they seem so allergic to re-releasing the older Digimon games, especially given the prices they go for now.

No idea, I thought it might be music licensing or something but they released the Next order & DW1 soundtracks for free in the EU. People have been begging since the ps3 launched.

SegaManAU

Gold Member
Bought this yesterday but can't start playing until my PS4 is unbanned. It was hacked late last year and Sony have been slack with unbanning the console. It's supposed to happen tomorrow.

Not sure if i can't start a game without being logging into PSN and have all my saves and trophies transfer over when I get my PS4 unbanned?

AlanOC91

Level 3 Vegimon are one-shotting me :O

I have one rookie and one champion and his move is doing like 3k damage!

EDIT: Wohoo finally beat him with an Ultimate and a Champion! This game is hard as nails on normal mode. Slowly but surely progressing. Having lots of fun!

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Okay, so Normal = the difficulty of the original World?

Also glad to hear recruitment is more like the original, disliked how the city in Re:Digitized was basically complete from the get-go as opposed to it being slowly rebuilt like in 1.

Can't wait, I get off early Tuesday and have all Wednesday to experience Digimon paradise!

It's the guy who voices mustang in full metal alchemist,that friend in Catherine, etc etc. Not the voice you'd expect a guilmon to have.
I'm more concerned about who voices the old protagonist.

It would have been great if they got Mona Marshall, but I accept the fact that it would have been off-putting.

That said, I'm really looking forward to playing a 'modernized' version of the gameplay of the first Digimon World. Sadly my backlog is so huge right now that I'm not sure when I'll get around to playing it. Cyber Sleuth was one of my favorite games last year and anything new when it comes to Digimon is always appreciated.

I wish they'd put it up too. A couple of years ago they could have argued that there wasn't enough interest, but now, with the sequel coming out, it seems like a wasted opportunity.

PtKid

Banned
I'm a massive fan of the original on PS1 and I'm
Incredibly tempted to buy it, however I am awaiting for reviews before i drop the cash as I have Tomb Raider, Last Guardian and Mafia 3.

Is the game worth it? I wouldn't like to commit a lot of time to it to find it lackluster, specially with Horizon and Mass Effect soon.

Can anyone provide some in depth impressions?

It would be much appreciated.
Thanks

sensui-tomo

Again for people waiting for reviews, this isnt going to be reviewed well. If a score determines if you get this and another game, get the other game. This game is going to be just like the original. I'm getting this day one because its exactly catering to that fanbase. This isnt going to be reviewed as well as cyber slueth. and i'm buying this day 1 and was considering importing it for the vita if it never came out here or on the ps4.

RockmanBN

Again for people waiting for reviews, this isnt going to be reviewed well. If a score determines if you get this and another game, get the other game. This game is going to be just like the original. I'm getting this day one because its exactly catering to that fanbase. This isnt going to be reviewed as well as cyber slueth. and i'm buying this day 1 and was considering importing it for the vita if it never came out here or on the ps4.

Yeah the firat one was very low review wise. At best this will have a low 70s in Metacritic. This style of game isn't for everyone.

ReaperXL7

I'm not sure if anyone here has played them but would this be comparable at all to games like the Monster Rancher series? I used to love those games for a lot of reasons but training and the care aspects were a big part of the draw in this games. I'm going to pick up Yakuza tomarrow and I'm debating on picking this up with it.

sensui-tomo

I'm not sure if anyone here has played them but would this be comparable at all to games like the Monster Rancher series? I used to love those games for a lot of reasons but training and the care aspects were a big part of the draw in this games. I'm going to pick up Yakuza tomarrow and I'm debating on picking this up with it.

Yeah to be honest its kinda like except with a bit more control over what your monster does. If you liked the monster raising aspect of monster rancher this is exactly the kinda game you'll like. (digimon die like they do in monster rancher)

PtKid

Banned

I'm not so bothered if it scores well, all I wanted from reviews is a more in depth impression on the game.
If I think the game sounds like something I will enjoy I don't really care about the "critic" reviews, hell I loved The Order 1886.

Problem with this game is that PS4 version information is sparse.

AlanOC91

Does wisdom not increase strength of "magical" moves? Starting to think it doesn't after some tests.

Bubble Breath does way way more damage with high strength.

Basically I have one digimon with very high wisdom and one with high strength. One has electric cloud and the other has bubble breath.

The one with electric cloud and high wisdom does like 1/8th of the damage of the digimon with high strength and bubble breath.

Yup definitely, it's one of those either you love it or hate it game types. There's so much you need to know to manage the Digimon, stuff that isn't explained well, early game balance isnt great and people generally don't like getting blasted by information/complex systems at the start. It's not a turnbased jrpg anyone can jump into and Digimon can't be evolved & then devolved if you don't like it.
The game is very fun though, but I don't see reviewers giving it enough time since the first couple of hours are difficult.

Does wisdom not increase strength of "magical" moves? Starting to think it doesn't after some tests.

Bubble Breath does way way more damage with high strength.

Basically I have one digimon with very high wisdom and one with high strength. One has electric cloud and the other has bubble breath.

The one with electric cloud and high wisdom does like 1/8th of the damage of the digimon with high strength and bubble breath.

It's in the op, but the manual says this :
Wisdom: Increases chance of
guarding/reduces MP consumed/
boosts critical-hit rate as this goes up

I read that it affects the 150 op moves but I can't confirm that.

Kouriozan

I'm playing in Normal and my brother in Easy, the difficulty between the 2 modes seems to be huge. I'll still play in Normal since I like some challenges.

AlanOC91

I'm playing in Normal and my brother in Easy, the difficulty between the 2 modes seems to be huge. I'll still play in Normal since I like some challenges.

I'd imagine so. Normal is crazy difficult. My progress is crawling at the moment. I'm currently you tasked with going to
the volcano
and currently I can't beat the first random mob in the area.

I think I just need to save up a lot of bits for the training hall upgrades. Already got the stamina one.

I'd imagine so. Normal is crazy difficult. My progress is crawling at the moment. I'm currently you tasked with going to
the volcano
and currently I can't beat the first random mob in the area.

I think I just need to save up a lot of bits for the training hall upgrades. Already got the stamina one.

The story minsters are generally easier than the area mobs on normal, there's tamer skills which help you with training. I just trained up two ultimates at that stage. Although, I train in easy and then move it up when I leave town.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i am terrible at this.

i can defeat enemies in the starting area but whenever i go into the new areas the digimon are too strong for me. i don't know what direction i am meant to go and really don't know what i'm doing. i think i am gonna watch a walkthrough on youtube and play along with that.

AlanOC91

The story minsters are generally easier than the area mobs on normal, there's tamer skills which help you with training. I just trained up two ultimates at that stage. Although, I train in easy and then move it up when I leave town.

Yeah I've started to throw points into tamer skills for training now. There was also an area I had completely missed out on that I was able to handle no problem.
Managed to easily recruit Veemon and Togemon.

i am terrible at this.

i can defeat enemies in the starting area but whenever i go into the new areas the digimon are too strong for me. i don't know what direction i am meant to go and really don't know what i'm doing. i think i am gonna watch a walkthrough on youtube and play along with that.

The initial difficulty jump is terrible, make sure you have at least champions who you have trained up, you should be fine after that. You want to go into the forest which on the left of the village (straight across the bridge as you come down the cliff), recruit the two digimon there and all except
biyomon
in the first area and you should progress in the story.

Once your first set of digimon die it becomes much easier to train them and evolve into digimon you want.

Simzyy

Right, decided to buy this after reading this thread. DW1 PS1 is one of my fav games. I was just hesitant with the Switch so soon and costing a fair bit.

Can't resist the nostalgia.

Is this game as obtuse as the original? As in hard to know where you are meant to go next?

Halabane

OP great write up. I was planning on getting this because I had liked the last titles but this game looks like a PS1 title. I have some nostalgia for this but not that much. For those who do I am sure you will enjoy it. Agree that it may review rough which isn't fair but that's how that game goes. Thanks for saving me some bucks.

Kouriozan

Right, decided to buy this after reading this thread. DW1 PS1 is one of my fav games. I was just hesitant with the Switch so soon and costing a fair bit.

Is this game as obtuse as the original? As in hard to know where you are meant to go next?
Botamon in Jijimon's house tells you where you can recruit someone new, and you get Digimails on what to do story-wise.

Drinkel

About 8 hours in. I didn't think video game nostalgia would affect me much, but as soon as they start playing the file city music and show me the meat farm it got its hooks into me. Finding it quite difficult so far. Some enemies will stand next to each other, showing up as similar level. One of them being no problem in a fight and the other almost one-shotting me. Find myself getting injured a lot and having a hard time recovering HP. Also I'm constantly broke so I'm mostly in the gym training them until they want to sleep so I get some HP back. It''s fun but I can see it being frustrating to some people. I have been evolving my digimon kind of blind and ended up with blue meramon twice, will pay more attention to the required stats in the future. It's nice that they have streamlined the gym somewhat since you have to spend so much time there. From my memory it seems you spend way less time in the earlier digimon forms which Is a bit of a bummer to me, I basically do not leave the gym until they are at least champion form. I still enjoy it a lot because there isn't anything out there that scratches the same itch as this and OG Digimon world. Also the music is really good too, reminds me a lot of Pokkén Tournament.

There's actual story missions which send you to the areas you're supposed to go, there's a couple of times where you might not know where to go, like the start but it isn't that bad. In DW1 if you talk to yuramon she sends you to the main places. It's Botamon in this game who gets that role, but he's broken in chapter 1 since he asks you to go to places which are locked until you get to chapter 2.
I'm close to impulse purchasing this - how difficult is the easy mode ?
Its not easy, especially if this is your first digimon world game, they scaled up difficulty since that was one of the complaints of the original, but it doesn't scale very well at the start forcing you to train up your digimon. Basically easy mode = normal and normal = hard, if you had to rate it in terms of difficulty.

AlanOC91

So you can recruit digimon to your village? :)

Yep same as the original! It also has the same requirement tune as the original. It's part of the addiction!

EDIT: one area I did go wrong on is comparing stats to the original game. Stats max out at 999 in the original but having stats of 400-500 would mean you'd most likely be able to complete the game without issue.

On normal mode in this, stats of 400-500 will mean you will get pulverised. Once I realised that I started having an easier time. My two ultimates have some stats around 1200-1400 now and it's making for easier battles.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
The initial difficulty jump is terrible, make sure you have at least champions who you have trained up, you should be fine after that. You want to go into the forest which on the left of the village (straight across the bridge as you come down the cliff), recruit the two digimon there and all except
biyomon
in the first area and you should progress in the story.

Once your first set of digimon die it becomes much easier to train them and evolve into digimon you want.

thanks! my digimon have evolved to their next forms after a bit more training. i have saberdramon and garurumon (black). i'm struggling to find a Salty Fruit to help one of the digimon out.

Yep same as the original! It also has the same requirement tune as the original. It's part of the addiction!

EDIT: one area I did go wrong on is comparing stats to the original game. Stats max out at 999 in the original but having stats of 400-500 would mean you'd most likely be able to complete the game without issue.

On normal mode in this, stats of 400-500 will mean you will get pulverised. Once I realised that I started having an easier time. My two ultimates have some stats around 1200-1400 now and it's making for easier battles.

Just wait till you see the stats needed for anime favourties , the ultimates especially are crazy, megas I kinda expected though.

Got my first mega.

Platinum Numemon...
. I don't know if I should cry or not. Maybe he will be good.

Same thing happened to me, he isn't very useful early game since you have access to like 2-3 weak poop moves, I spent like 10 days trying to actively kill him, he's resillient af if anything.

thanks! my digimon have evolved to their next forms after a bit more training. i have saberdramon and garurumon (black). i'm struggling to find a Salty Fruit to help one of the digimon out.

It's fairly common, just keep running around the first area .

Got my first mega.

Platinum Numemon...
. I don't know if I should cry or not. Maybe he will be good.

Same thing happened to me, he isn't very useful early game since you have access to like 2-3 weak poop moves, I spent like 10 days trying to actively kill him, he's resillient af if anything.

So is he like Numemon? The "if they're not good enough to be anything else" Digimon? Or is he a legitimate evolution?

Soran

There is a guy doing a walkthrough in Spanish who got the same Digis as you, are you him?

sensui-tomo

so is it safe to assume in terms of difficulty Digimon world next order Medium> easy> DW1> DW :redigitize from hardest to easiest? ( DW redigitized felt very easy when i tried it out, got a ultimate in a short period of time .
And safe to assume that even with the dlc items and being very good at DW original, you should probably play easy until you unlock some tamer levels/ stuff in the town then switch to normal(which feels like a hard mode)?

Legit evolution, assuming he has low requirements for a mega because I wasnt trying to get him either.

That makes sense.

I'm really curious about the adjustment to evolution requirements. Are normal mode requirements the same as hard mode requirements in the Vita version? Or is there more to it?

Top Bottom