• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the ANNO 1404 (DAWN OF DISCOVERY) |OT|

bee

Proc said:
I'm still so tempted to buy this. I should just ignore the tages shit shouldn't I.

i have the willpower of a crack head it seems, i was trying to avoid getting it because of the bullshit DRM too. but fuck it, i got it and i'm glad i did too, this games good :D

Google

Guys,

It's fucking retarded to ignore this game simply because of some confused DRM.

It's a fantastic experience, and looks wonderful.

All, please buy it, and issue your complaints to the publisher.

If you don't buy it, you're just doing yourself a disservice, as well as the developer.

Best,

Google

Zzoram

I am ignoring this only partly because of Tages now. It's more because I need to finish Overlord II, Evil Genius, and my M.Sc.

Played the demo earlier, really enjoyed it.

Think I might buy it. Amazon have a really nice looking CE of it:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002DWAZQ2/

10rn24h.jpg

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
The Collector’s Edition, packaged in a large and majestic wooden box, includes:

• Anno 1404 on DVD-Rom

• A 72 Page art book

• A unique panoramic poster

• An old fashioned compass

• A bag containing 6 almond seeds

• An exclusive bonus DVD

That has got to be a first.

Every time I come close to ordering the Wii version I see shots of the PC build and it just hurts. How dumbed down is the kidtendo version from the PC?

Doytch

Don't think it's dumbed down. The non-PC versions of Anno are very very good games that are tailored to that system. They're not sloppy port jobs, and are worth it, especially at the cheap price.

Doytch said:
Don't think it's dumbed down. The non-PC versions of Anno are very very good games that are tailored to that system. They're not sloppy port jobs, and are worth it, especially at the cheap price.
Okay, bought. Those PC shots just look sooo nice that I can't help but be slightly less excited about my inferior version.

Wow, I just saw the Wii version at my local EBGames in Canada, and the box is different!

It's much closer to the PAL box, it's still called Dawn of Discovery, but the box shows that ship with a few people on it, hard to describe. :p It's in a slightly different style from the PAL box though.

Zzoram

DevelopmentArrested said:
where the FUCK is this for sale in Canada. My girlfriend wants it and im getting a little bored of the albeit great Wii version!

Canadians can buy it on Steam if it's not stocked in your local stores.

I started playing 1602 again with my girlfriend. SO GOOD. It doesn't look as great as 1404 but it is so amazing. I love it.

Artchur

I was getting bored with Prototype and RF:G, thought I would get this to get some use out of my comp. Man am I glad I did.. The game is an addictive sinkhole! Graphics look realy nice with everything maxed out... even though I personally spend all my time zoomed out to the max.

Only annoyance so far is that apparently my city building skills suck.. mine never look as nice as the computers tightly packed clusters and efficient roads...

markot

Banned
>_< I want that CE!

But I think one of my quests bugged >.< So I have to restart a level... which is annoying cause they can take 4 hours +!

Flib

Wasn't going to jump on this because of a mixture of the drm and not really having enjoyed the last strategy game I bought (empire: total war). Played the demo last night though, and immediately bought it. It should be criminal to overlook this game, soooo good.

TheExodu5

Banned
Google said:
Guys,

It's fucking retarded to ignore this game simply because of some confused DRM.

It's a fantastic experience, and looks wonderful.

All, please buy it, and issue your complaints to the publisher.

If you don't buy it, you're just doing yourself a disservice, as well as the developer.

Best,

Google

I'm a chronic reformatter. I've lost 2 licenses of Mass Effect thanks to that, and I lost my third one last week when I had to system restore right after a driver install crashed.

I'm not buying one more game with activation limits, ever.

I've played the DS version of this game for a around 8 hours, and im really impressed so far. The controls are great, and so is the gameplay. I'm sure i've already wasted hours in story mode because i expanded my city instead of following the mission objectives. This kind of game is perfect for the DS, and i'm sure this will end up as my favorite game on the platform.

Antagon

Has anyone else had problem with the DRM. Bought it off of steam on a whim, but I can't get past the Tages authentication. When I try to authenticate I get a message that the connection to the server is lost. Same when I try to do it with the html file that it generates.

Antagon

About the activation error: Seems like I made a mistake with my serial and after several failed attempts it is now blocking my requests, even though I'm using the right key now. And of course, I can log into ubisofts forum fine but the support part seems to be broken. Great.

Victrix

*beard*
Antagon said:
About the activation error: Seems like I made a mistake with my serial and after several failed attempts it is now blocking my requests, even though I'm using the right key now. And of course, I can log into ubisofts forum fine but the support part seems to be broken. Great.

I saw someone else run into this exact problem. Contact TAGES directly, they have an activation support email. The person who hit this roadblock had it fixed in a day, while Ubisoft support mumbled something about 'maybe monday'

Good job Ubisoft!

Antagon

Victrix said:
I saw someone else run into this exact problem. Contact TAGES directly, they have an activation support email. The person who hit this roadblock had it fixed in a day, while Ubisoft support mumbled something about 'maybe monday'

Good job Ubisoft!

Thanks for the help, I've send them a mail. I don't really expect a response until after the weekend though, but hopefully I'm wrong.

tengiants

I wanted to get this one but the Steam version has crazy Tages DRM as well? FUCK THAT. I'll wait until it's hacked or I'll be more than happy to buy it if they leave the DRM to Steam.

Antagon said:
And I'm in :D

Same here, bought the pc version yesterday, never tried the previous games.
I've just started the game, seems pretty cool so far (1 hour) and looks really good even at medium settings

Aponi

mjc said:
So the DS version is good, eh? I might pick it up after work tonight.

I've got the DS version and I'm enjoying it. After a few levels of figuring out what was going on I was starting to get bored and find it too easy (granted, I'm pretty sure I've got it set on "Easy" because while I enjoy RTS's I typically suck at them), but about half a level after that they introduced new dynamics that kept it interesting. I haven't played the PC version so I can't comment on which would be better, but I've definitely enjoyed the DS one.

K i bought the game but i cant get it to work..

i install the game. click play , enter cd-key from box and get 'unexpected error 13;13' wtf! does it need to be activated someway? im connected to the internet and everything..

Antagon

DevelopmentArrested said:
K i bought the game but i cant get it to work..

i install the game. click play , enter cd-key from box and get 'unexpected error 13;13' wtf! does it need to be activated someway? im connected to the internet and everything..

It should activate when you enter the cd-key. I'd recommend emailing tages directly (you can find the address at www.tagesprotection.com), they replied to me when I had problems in less then 30 minutes.

Antagon said:
It should activate when you enter the cd-key. I'd recommend emailing tages directly (you can find the address at www.tagesprotection.com), they replied to me when I had problems in less then 30 minutes.
do i need to install tages drives seperately or should it install when i install the game?

also - i get 3 activations/installs. does that mean its for ONE pc? What if i want to install on my other pc? will the same cdkey work?

Victrix

*beard*
Any PC, also it looks like the activations auto-timeout (that is, once enough time has passed, you renew your activations up to 3 again). No idea what that time period is.

I saw the game in the shop today and almost bought it...Then I looked at the recommended specs. I don't have a 3Ghz processor so I decided not to buy it (for now). Just a minute ago I found out that Anno 1701 requires the same but I can play that one without problems...So I may get 1404 anyway. I'm not really sure about the "tages" thing, though. :/

Zzoram

Victrix said:
Any PC, also it looks like the activations auto-timeout (that is, once enough time has passed, you renew your activations up to 3 again). No idea what that time period is.

Interesting. I wonder if they will tell us more about this stuff. I hate activation limit DRM that also scrouds how activations work in mystery.

Zzoram

DieNgamers said:
I saw the game in the shop today and almost bought it...Then I looked at the recommended specs. I don't have a 3Ghz processor so I decided not to buy it (for now). Just a minute ago I found out that Anno 1701 requires the same but I can play that one without problems...So I may get 1404 anyway. I'm not really sure about the "tages" thing, though. :/

Usually if you have a lot of RAM and a good video card, being slightly low on CPU is fine.

Zzoram

Ok I'm going to buy Dawn of Discovery Wii and Civilization Revolution 360 from Futureshop using the $10 off $50+ coupon.

So, apparently, Windows 7 users (like me) can't create an online profile and thus uploading saves and a couple of other things.
Cool

Anyway, except for this bullshit, the game's pretty good

Sleeker

I dont like feeling like an errand boy in this game.

TheExodu5 said:
I'm a chronic reformatter. I've lost 2 licenses of Mass Effect thanks to that, and I lost my third one last week when I had to system restore right after a driver install crashed.

I'm not buying one more game with activation limits, ever.

I must say I agree with you.
I have paper weight copies of Spore and Sim City: Societies because I had to restore my system a couple of times.

I will try to avoid these types of DRM games in the future.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Is this the type of tages that add refreshes the activations after a certain period of time?

With this type of game, i'll generally play it into the ground, then quit playing it for several months, then install it again and play.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Sleeker said:
I dont like feeling like an errand boy in this game.

I must say I agree with you.
I have paper weight copies of Spore and Sim City: Societies because I had to restore my system a couple of times.

I will try to avoid these types of DRM games in the future.
Dude, call EA and ask for more activations or something.

Zzoram

No love for this game? Stores seem to have a few of the Wii copies, but they don't seem to be selling too quickly.

Sleeker

I'm up to the level where you have to battle Kardinal Lucien.
Its all been pretty intuitive and straight forward until this part.

I thought fighting him would just involve some big ships like the rest of the game but instead its this totally fucked up battle camp thing.
Why are they so expensive? why do the soldiers take forever to leave the Keep and go to the camp? Why do the camps take forever to set up? Why is Luciens castle literally impossible to destroy yet it can destroy my camps?

arggggh its such a shit level

markot

Banned
Dont attack the castle, and wait for him to come to you.

You have to delay him really, thats it. Ignore the keep thingy.

Set the camps up in the south in part between the cider/weaver stuff and the main city.

Wait for him to attack, then you can reinforce a camp that is under attack with a camp nearby. Make sure they are close together for this >.< But attack the trebuches so they dont keep flinging crap at ya!

Top Bottom