• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve soft launches Source 2 with Dota 2 port, Dota 2 Xbox reticule found, L4D3 refs

Mman235

They finally added a god-damned lighting preview!?

OMG it's happening.

9p695rE.gif

Bricky

Oh Valve, you sly bastards better announce something at Gamescom if you start teasing us like this.

And I could totally see them launch the engine with just ports of all their major Source games, which would actually be kinda awesome.

MayMay

Banned
so, why are people so excited about this? having a new engine doesn't mean that there is a new valve game coming soon.

We're one step closer to a new Valve game now.

Also, new Source 2 Hammer editor that replaces the old broken piece of crap that is the Source 1 Hammer is a biiiig exciting improvement lol

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Source is one my favorite engines ever. Not only for the games, but the aesthetics makes me feel cozy for some reason. Needless to say, I can't wait to see what masterpieces Valve crafts with Source 2.

UGH FINALLY. After using the Source Engine for 10 years, they have finally updated their interface to at least match most modern editors. My friends who do workshop content pretty much confirmed most of the news floating about. It's the Source 2 tools skeleton. It doesn't really use BSp brush geometry - you can, if you really want to - since it's now fully mesh based. Apparently there is some weird stuff like import in .obj files and messing with the vert/geo inside the editor.

Will keep my eye on it, but since I never made stuff for DOTA in Hammer I'm going to wait before plunging back into it. Valve has broke my heart too many times breaking their engine bases and tools over the years.

baterism

Realllly excited about it. Besides L4D3 (no, I don't care about HL3 sorry), I'm so looking forward for games from another devs.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

As at the time of last year's second JIRA leak, L4D3's cabal had more sub-groups whereas Half-Life 3's just had a core team -- this suggests that L4D3 is further along in development, plus there's the various references to L4D3 in code here and there versus nothing for HL3 (although every once in a blue moon a reference to Episode Three rears its head). I feel confident in saying that HL3 won't be announced until 2016 at the absolute earliest whilst L4D3 could hit in Q4 next year.

strafer

As at the time of last year's second JIRA leak, L4D3's cabal had more sub-groups whereas Half-Life 3's just had a core team -- this suggests that L4D3 is further along in development, plus there's the various references to L4D3 in code here and there versus nothing for HL3 (although every once in a blue moon a reference to Episode Three rears its head). I feel confident in saying that HL3 won't be announced until 2016 at the absolute earliest whilst L4D3 could hit in Q4 next year.

I think they're just scared of when they announce it the code will get stolen again.

They don't want HL2 repeat.

JaseC

I think they're just scared of when they announce it the code will get stolen again.

They don't want HL2 repeat.

I don't think a formal announcement would make much of a different on that front -- it's not secret at this point that Valve's working on the game to some extent.

I don't think a formal announcement would make much of a different on that front -- it's not secret at this point that Valve's working on the game to some extent.

are you sure

because people seem to think it doesnt exist all the time for some reason i can never figure out

ekim

Maybe those are indeed some ancient leftovers. L4D and L4D2 were Xbox exclusive, and EA did the ports of all others games except Portal 2. Was Dota 2 running on the Portal 2 engine? If not I guess it makes sense that Playstation is nowhere to be found then

I checked the engine.dll from L4D2 and whereas some of the references are indeed leftovers some of the mentions seem to be new.

These are the ones only available in engine2.dll:
Dedicated Server for Xbox. Not using STEAM.
---
XboxSystemInterface001
---
CXboxSystem::EnumerateAchievements
c:\buildslave\source2_dota_rel_win64\build\src\engine2\xboxsystem.cpp

are you sure

because people seem to think it doesnt exist all the time for some reason i can never figure out

You guys underestimate the power of appeasing fans through official messaging and how it effects public perception.

Nothing we know of HL3 has been official. Gabe saying Ricochet 2 on some podcast is not going to calm down people. On the other hand what Valve have been officially talking about for a while now are Dota and Steam Machines (and TF and CSGO through their blogs, they certainly don't drum them up as much as the former two). Of course people act the way they do. They're feeling left out.

When this was officially launched I expected something that was a barely modified version of the current hammer tools. It would severely limit who could create things and hamper the scene but would be enough to make people happy as the dedicated people could still create some powerful things.

What we got, is so beyond that. People are creating things in literally 15 minutes that are making the existing mods (that people spent months creating) look like amateur hour, and the barrier for entry on creation is extremely low.

This is going to be a really exciting thing for years.

lol 2cute it's like you read the OP and thought it content from GAF

i kno rite

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This would explain the slowdown in output of Dota 2 updates that they were otherwise very good about handling.

This is smart though, with a much better tool chain this should help them support the game long term.

I'm curious to see if they also port TF2.

JaseC

You guys underestimate the power of appeasing fans through official messaging and how it effects public perception.

Nothing we know of HL3 has been official. Gabe saying Ricochet 2 on some podcast is not going to calm down people. On the other hand what Valve have been officially talking about for a while now are Dota and Steam Machines (and TF and CSGO through their blogs, they certainly don't drum them up as much as the former two). Of course people act the way they do. They're feeling left out.

Do you really think that Valve formally announcing HL3 would see a marked increase in attempts to steal it? The people with the interest in the game and the know-how to have the inclination to do that are already doing it -- either because they want news or they read up on the JIRA leaks last year and realised it exists in some form.

Edit: I get the feeling you read my post but not the context.

This would explain the slowdown in output of Dota 2 updates that they were otherwise very good about handling.

This is smart though, with a much better tool chain this should help them support the game long term.

I'm curious to see if they also port TF2.

well

Would internally mean it's only for testing purposes though?

Edit: I get the feeling you read my post but not the context.

Second part of your post and Steve's response to that.

LDAF

New Hammer looks very nice. Maybe it'll be a little easier to make custom content now. :) Also excited to see what Source 2 brings!

JaseC

So you're responding to his comment specifically? "You guys" creates the understanding that your response is intended to address both of the posts you've quoted. If you were using my post to establish the context of his comment, then I would advise wrapping one in the other, like this:

are you sure

And not using the plural form of "guy". ;)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
well

Would internally mean it's only for testing purposes though?

Yeah, I'd say it would ultimately depend on if they release the new version to the public.

If they keep the old one around they're not gaining the efficiency upgrade for their actual content support.

I'd guess that L4D2 is definitely a dead end that was just used for experimentation for L4D3 for example.

TF2 is kind of an interesting one since that one dates all the way back to having DX8 support, so moving to Source 2 might actually cause it to not have 1:1 support on all the same systems, whereas I think Dota 2 requires DX 9.0c at least.

So you're responding to his comment specifically? "You guys" creates the understanding that your response is intended to address both of the posts you've quoted. If you were using my post to establish the context of his comment, then I would advise wrapping one in the other, like this:

And not using the plural form of "guy". ;)

Both, because HL3 being an open secret is not trivial to everyone. I mean you see what gaffers post about it. But yeah, going to bold it.

JaseC

TF2 is kind of an interesting one since that one dates all the way back to having DX8 support, so moving to Source 2 might actually cause it to not have 1:1 support on all the same systems, whereas I think Dota 2 requires DX 9.0c at least.

I don't think Valve would sweat over killing DX8 support considering the latest hardware survey stats:

steamdx2rans.jpg

Both, because HL3 being an open secret is not trivial to everyone. I mean you see what gaffers post about it. But yeah, going to bold it.

What you said has absolutely nothing to do with my post, though. "Sure, it's no secret, but people would appreciate confirmation!" is something I agree with, but it's completely and utterly outside of the context of the topic of a formal announcement and the increased likelihood of the game's code being sought after.

Top Bottom