• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve soft launches Source 2 with Dota 2 port, Dota 2 Xbox reticule found, L4D3 refs

roytheone

Alright then, this kinda came out of nowhere. I thought Gaben said that they where waiting for the "right" game to launch source 2 with, i guess DOTA 2 is that game now? kinda? maybe?

Still excited though, source 1 was waaaay ahead of its time back in 2004, it probably is the best engine ever made if you factor in the time it came out. Let's hope that source 2 can live up to that reputation.

ekim

uhoh
icon16.gif

TF2 is kind of an interesting one since that one dates all the way back to having DX8 support, so moving to Source 2 might actually cause it to not have 1:1 support on all the same systems, whereas I think Dota 2 requires DX 9.0c at least.

I don't think Valve would sweat over killing DX8 support considering the latest hardware survey stats:

steamdx2rans.jpg

And if they just made OGL the peer as they said they would, wouldn't that negate that problem? Or are these dependencies hard to solve?

What you said has absolutely nothing to do with my post, though. "Sure, it's no secret, but people would appreciate confirmation!" is something I agree with, but it's completely and utterly outside of the context of the topic of a formal announcement and the increased likelihood of the game's code being sought after.

Yeah, you're right. Sorry. It's still not something that you can just bring up without people attacking it. I just recently had an argument with someone after bringing the exact same thing up, lol :/

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I don't think Valve would sweat over killing DX8 support considering the latest hardware survey stats:

steamdx2rans.jpg

What you said has absolutely nothing to do with my post, though. "Sure, it's no secret, but people would appreciate confirmation!" is something I agree with, but it's completely and utterly outside of the context of the topic of a formal announcement and the increased likelihood of the game's code being sought after.

And if they just made OGL the peer as they said they would, wouldn't that negate that problem? Or are these dependencies hard to solve?

Yeah, you're right. Sorry. It's still not something that you can just bring up without people attacking it. I just recently had an argument with someone after bringing the exact same thing up, lol :/
Oh I certainly think it's time regardless. It's certainly not a major sacrifice.

If I had to guess at the main delay on that front it would be that getting a 100% perfect port over takes a little bit longer from an older codebase, whereas Dota 2 was on the newest Source 1 build.

Xpliskin

This doesn't mean anything sadly.

They might just have thought "Hey let's deploy our new tools so that people can use them and so that we receive more reported bugs and stuff".

Obviously they've been hard at work on Source 2 but deploying a fraction of it doesn't really mean an announcement is inbound.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This is also new:
untitledo6bxq.png

Well, I guess it's not conceptually impossible to make Dota 2 work on a gamepad.

They were also attempting an Android port at some point IIRC so there might be some references to mobile in there somewhere.

Hopefully they drop dx9 support and use opengl for all those dx10/11 GPU + XP people, just like UE4, or just use OpenGL across the board and try work closely with AMD so their cards can actually run it properly.

Well, I guess it's not conceptually impossible to make Dota 2 work on a gamepad.

They were also attempting an Android port at some point IIRC so there might be some references to mobile in there somewhere.

Yeah, people shouldn't get hyped for stray lines of code. Valve likes to experiment with everything and anything.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This doesn't mean anything sadly.

They might just have thought "Hey let's deploy our new tools so that people can use them and so that we receive more reported bugs and stuff".

Obviously they've been hard at work on Source 2 but deploying a fraction of it doesn't really mean an announcement is inbound.

I'm confused what you mean.

The implication of the files is that the new version of Dota 2 runs on the engine.

It's not using much in the way of new visual features, but it's running on it.

Nirolak, don't you also want to put this in the title then?

<@VoiDeD> there's l4d3 crap all over the vscript code

just more confirmation

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So basically that 5.5 GB download for the tools was me getting the source 2 engine?

Yes, that was assuredly downloading basically the entire game again since engine swaps require you to download most if not all of a game again.

just more confirmation

I'll see what I can fit.

ekim

Together with the other new references I wouldn't be too surprised if Dota2 comes to consoles.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

I imagine that would work, yeah, although it's not as elegant as Valve's longer-term goal to drop D3D entirely.

Yeah, you're right. Sorry./

No harm, no foul. :)

ekim

just more confirmation

Well the reticule isn't the greatest hint - I just leave that here again:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=124324850&postcount=136

dota_ugc\content\core\soundstacks\soundstacks_core.vsndstck
Code:
"[B]xbox_dashboard_music[/B]"
			{	
				"data_type" "float"
				"value" "1.0"	
			}

dota_ugc\content\core\dev\vgui\materials\hud\xbox_reticle.vtex

dota_ugc\game\bin\win64\engine2.dll

Code:
(Only used when hosting [B]xbox games[/B]). Send clients updates at the same time. This saves CPU because the server will encode and calc deltas on less frames
---
[B]Dedicated Server for Xbox. Not using STEAM.[/B] 
---
XboxSystemInterface001
---
CXboxSystem::EnumerateAchievements
c:\buildslave\source2_dota_rel_win64\build\src\engine2\[B][B]xboxsystem.cpp[/B][/B]
--
gameui_xbox
dota_ugc\game\bin\win64\client.dll
Code:
XboxDialogs.res / resource/UI/XboxDialogs.res

dota_ugc\game\bin\win64\server.dll
Code:
ERROR: CSource2Server::Connect - Failed to connect to [B]xboxsystem[/B]

dota_ugc\manifest\all_shipping_files.txt
Code:
game/dota_imported/resource/ui/[B]xboxdialogs[/B].res@2166751

Disclaimer: some of them are leftovers from S1 but majority of the references in the engine2.dll are new.

Doesn't the Dota spectator have controller support? I could imagine at least that part being brought over to consoles then.

The point being that they brought dota to tablets and decided it wasn't working out so they stopped working on it.

Wasn't that because of performance issues though and not control related issues? Again, spectator could work.

Xpliskin

I'm confused what you mean.

The implication of the files is that the new version of Dota 2 runs on the engine.

It's not using much in the way of new visual features, but it's running on it.

Ah I missed that point.

Yes you're right, Dota2 now at least supports the new formats which means at least part of its new codebase is shared with Source2. Someone should decompile the new exe to tell exactly to what extent it runs on it.

Top Bottom