• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age of Mythology coming to steam?

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Never played the expansion but is Isis still OP? Every time I played against my brother he'd just turtle and resist all my god powers until he crushed me with War Elephants.

I only remember the Egyptians being pretty terrible to play in general when the expansion launched. The Atlanteans had a unit (I think it was a mounted anti-archer) that they had zero counter for until the Heroic Age.

Ettie

Hype!

Please please please do an HD edition!

I would imagine "Extended" just means AoM+Titans expansion+The Golden Bug or w/e that one downloadable module was called...

assuming this is the same team/group that brought over AOE2, I hope they take more time in releasing it as AOE2 was a trainwreck when it launched.

Bluth54

Hopefully we'll get Rise of Nations soon, I can't believe we still don't know who bought the rights to the IP from the sale back in December.

Noooooo! My wallet!

No, but really, this is awesome! I have my Gold Editions of AoE2 and AoM right here, and still pre-purchased AoE2 HD. This one will be getting my money too, hopefully they won't come across all the issues they had with AoE2 HD again.

I only played online for a while, since I loved the campaign and the skirmishes so much. Does anyone know the name of that map where one player with lots of mythological creatures had to hunt down enemy villagers in a maze? That one was FUN! If this too gets Workshop, it's gonna be incredible.

If they keep this up with bringing their big games to Steam (Never gave the Halos a fair chance, Gears of War pls), they will have all my love and respect.

Unmoses

I have my old disk somewhere.. loved the campaign.. can't recall how the multiplayer balance is but looking forward to trying it again.. memories....

Despite Microsoft's many transgressions against PC gaming they actually used to be a very good PC gaming publisher believe it or not. Some of the following games they need to re-release:

• Starlancer
  • Freelancer
  • Close Combat series
  • Mechwarrior series - might be tied up to Activision as well though
  • Mechcommander

KorrZ

I still have my disk for this game..sooo good. I would hope that they go for an HD re-master of this like they did for Age of Empires 2, I would definitely buy it!

injurai

Banned
wtf...

I was literally just asking for this in another thread, and nobody told that on the same day this was announced.

Praise Zeus

Ahmed

shut-up-and-take-my-money2.jpg

Number one buyer here. can not wait to crush my friends with golden colossus .

Colossus.jpg

Window

One of my favourite games ever and maybe the one I've poured the most number of hours into. Still have my original CD so will see what this offers before making a purchase but I'm excited.

Brofield

I bought AoE2 HD for the sole intent of parting with my money as an act of goodwill to ensure AoM HD would happen, and I'm glad it paid off. I actually reinstalled the game recently, and despite the muddy graphics and how poorly it transitions to a 1080p screen, the gameplay is still top notch.

I look forward to its release with bated breath.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Excellent, I hope Rise of Nations is next.

oh yes. Ohhhh yeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssss

god, I need to get slaughtered by Nuclear weapons again. My poor guys always got outpaced by the enemy, but it was funny

leroidys

Agreed. There's plenty of bitch about, but the biggest downer for me is that thematically the Atlanteans were just Greeks that played differently.

I spent so much time thinking of what amazing 4th civ they could add. Would it be the Persians with their fire worship? Aztecs with their blood-letting rituals? Carthage and their Pantheon? The Mongols and their nature worship? Druidic peoples of Britain? Sumerians? Babylonians?

Nope. Fucking made-up Atlanteans. And zero new units for existing civs (besides the building/unit Titan.) Such a waste.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm curious as to whether or not new content will be included. "Extended Edition" could very well just mean that the base game and expansion pack are rolled into the one Steam app, but there's also a possibility that it refers to content beyond that which is included in the aforementioned games.

Who cares about Halo trilogy? I mean, sure, some people do, but it's much smaller and less important on PC than damn Age of Mythology annoucement.

Having AoM availability on Steam with improvements is no doubt awesome, but I'd definitely be more excited about seeing a port of my favorite Halo game that hasn't been on PC before (Halo 3) especially if it had similar improvements like Steamworks for multiplayer.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Who cares about Halo trilogy? I mean, sure, some people do, but it's much smaller and less important on PC than damn Age of Mythology annoucement.

It's definitely a bit bothersome to see some people care more about a slow-paced FPS than a deep, honest-to-goodness PC game, but I imagine not everyone in here has played AoM and they don't understand just how great of an announcement this is.

I hope this new release brings a lot of new fans in. It's by far my favorite RTS of all time, despite the disappointing expansion.

Wiktor

Having AoM availability on Steam with improvements is no doubt awesome, but I'd definitely be more excited about seeing a port of my favorite Halo game that hasn't been on PC before (Halo 3) especially if it had similar improvements like Steamworks for multiplayer.

Which is fine, but many people act like AoM is just a stepping stone towards Halo, while in reality Ensemble games are far bigger among pc community than Halo ones are.

DinHerio

Banned
I remember how I visited my grandparents. I had a shitty Dell notebook which overheated every 30 minutes - an hour. I played the whole time this game with a framerate <20 and periodically freezes. When my grandmother asked me to stop playing, I used to answer: "Yes, soon, wait."

After I went home, I had played the shit out of the story mode & bot skirmish. It was the last time for years I vistited my grandparents. I behaved like shit, but I was a kid with a notebook and the greatest RTS of all time.

First day buy.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Seriously? I loved the expansion pack

The Atlanteans were not only a boring pick for a new civ, but they were pretty broken when it launched.

It doesn't matter so much 10 years later, but it was really disappointing to a lot of people at the time.

The Atlanteans were not only a boring pick for a new civ, but they were pretty broken when it launched.

It doesn't matter so much 10 years later, but it was really disappointing to a lot of people at the time.

Hell, the only reason why I really played Titans was because the entire online community of the game practically swapped over to it when it was released. Atlanteans ruined the balance of the game and titans turned matches into races. Didn't also help that Europe had to wait a whole extra month for the expansion that practically killed vanilla AoM's online.

Top Bottom