• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Why are people discussing the ending a week before the game comes out? I know it's a Devil May Cry game but come on.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The cutscenes are unskippable in Dmc!?

THIS IS THE FIRST I'M HEARING OF THIS.

Can somebody tell me what the fuck?

I think/hope that's referring to the smaller transitional scenes like what he showed in the video instead of the full blown cutscenes.

So in honor of Ezekial and Jett... I feel like we should at least put a FAQ section for the OT. Just some questions that usually get asked here and would be a good place to link for people who have no idea about the game.

I guess I will start writing it up. Any questions you guys think should be in the FAQ please post them.

-how long is this game ?
-how many dlc are annonced ?
-Where is bloody palace ? ( i know this one but it's a good question anyway )
-how many characters playable ? ( same as above )

i guess those 4 questions are good to explain in the first post...

The cutscenes are unskippable in Dmc!?

THIS IS THE FIRST I'M HEARING OF THIS.

Can somebody tell me what the fuck?

You can skip most cutscenes in the demo by pressing back/select. There are a few transitional ones which you can't, but those tended to last like 5 seconds.

Dahbomb

DmC Frequently Asked Questions

1) Which platform is it recommended to get DmC on?

A) The PC version appears to be the best one as it supports superior graphics options and can run at the series staple of 60FPS. If you don't have the PC version then it appears that the 360 version is a bit better than PS3 version in terms of performance. However all versions seem to run solid and there isn't a huge discrepancy among them.

2) Why wasn't this game developed on the MT Framework?

A) MT Framework is coded in Japanese and as this game was developed by NT it would've been a very difficult task for them to work on the MT Framework. They were more comfortable using the UE3 so they opted for that instead.

3) Why doesn't the game run at 60FPS?

A) Since NT were more comfortable using the UE3 for development, it was difficult to get the game running at 60FPS without taking major hits on the visuals. NT also wanted to put a bigger emphasis on real time morphing environments, a high point of the game and that would not have been possible with the tech available on the consoles. The game still runs at 60FPS on PC.

4) Why doesn't the game have hard lock on like the previous games? Or why does it even matter that the game has hard lock on?

A) NT wanted to make a more accessible DMC game. Hard lock on is a bit difficult to get into at first and by mapping moves to single inputs like Hightime it allowed for players to get into the groove of things quicker. Plus the series' veteran director Itsuno has stated that he has wanted to make a soft lock on DMC game for quite some time now but has been unable to do due to fans demand. DmC being an offshoot of the franchise allowed them to make the change.

Hard lock on is important for a DMC game because a lot of the game revolves around performing timing specific combos on specific enemies. By specifying the system to lock on to a specific enemy, as long as you are locked on to that enemy you will not accidentally attempt to combo another enemy. This keeps the combat/combos precise no matter the situation. In DmC, the soft lock on system sometimes mistakes which enemy you mean to actually combo or attack. This is especially a problem when dealing with colored enemies where you have to use specific weapon types against specific enemies. Hard lock also consolidated the movelist which allowed you to do more moves with less buttons as compared to DmC as you would be able to use combination of lock on, button input and direction to use various moves. Having no lock on basically prevents DmC from having moves like Shuffle which involve more complex motions like R1 + Back, Forward + /\.

5) Why was Dante redesigned so radically?

A) The redesign wasn't what NT showed Capcom first, their initial design was very close to the original Dante. Capcom wanted something radically different to justify the reboot and to shake things up. NT kept changing the design until the two sides agreed upon a current design. After the initial reveal, Capcom/NT had actually scaled back on the design to make it more palatable for the fans (which included bulking him up, removing his smoking habit etc). The hair color change was also part of the redesign but don't worry about the hair too much... there are costumes to change it.

6) Why is there no Styles system in the game? What is up with this Angel/Demon stuff?

A) The Styles system is replaced by the Angel/Demon forms. Styles don't operate the same way in DmC, they are partially incorporated into the standard combat. You can do moves like Pop Shredder, Quick Drive, Rainstorm, Air Dash, Teleport but they are spread across various weapons and abilities.... most of them operate differently than in previous games. The Angel/Demon stuff is an evolution of a similar system in Heavenly Sword that NT felt very comfortable with. It allows Dante to wield more weapons (5 melee) at one time while having swaps available to him at the touch of a single input. In some ways it's a better system than in DMC4's where you had to press the swap button twice sometimes to get to the desired weapon of choice.

7) Why are there no Taunts in the game?

A) Taunts were removed due to narrative reasons. NT didn't want Dante to be in a non serious mode during a serious fight. It sucks but it is what it is.

8) Where is Bloody Palace? Is it even in the game?

A) Bloody Palace is not on the retail disc but it will be available as a free DLC sometime after the game's release. Bloody Palace is a survival mode that spans 100 levels and supposedly 5 bosses, similar to previous games in the series.

9) How do I acquire the Vergil DLC?

A) Vergil DLC is available only as a pre-order through Gamestop. In Europe it's available as a PSN pre-order. It is available some time after the game's launch. It's about $10 if you want to buy it standalone.

10) How is the combat "dumbed down" from previous DMC games? It looks the same to me.

A) This is not a simple question and the answer is not something that can be put into a few sentences or even a couple of paragraphs but I will try to give a TL;DR version. Removal of hard lock on makes the combat imprecise, it is usually random which enemies you are attacking at some times meaning the attack hit boxes have to extended so that you are hitting something within range. The gravity of the game has been toned down dramatically to allow for easier air combos. The timing for various cancels in the game have been adjusted to allow for easier execution. The overall flow of the combat is slowed down with hit stops in between and after moves. The style rankings do not downgrade in letters even if you are repeating moves and getting your style up is rather easy through abuse of a few mechanics. Final mission ranking are heavily weighted in favor of style points so you can take hours to complete missions, die various times but still get SSS for that mission. There are now 2 dedicated dodge buttons as opposed to the dodge button simply mapped to lock on + the jump button which takes up precious controller space. There is a lag in between weapon swaps so the multi weapon combos aren't as crisp. Weapon balance seems really lop sided on the whole. There are various other reasons that people will provide if you ask this question seriously in the OT but I hope this is a good foundation for people to start on before they get into more serious discussions about the combat.

11) Is this a prequel to the other DMC games or is this a remake/reboot?

A) This is not a prequel to the other DMC games and it does not fall in the timeline of those games. It's in its own alternate universe and is essentially a remake. It's similar to Tim Burton's Batman vs Nolan's Batman.

12) What was Capcom's vision/idea behind selecting Ninja Theory as the developer?

A) Ninja Theory has demonstrated they are a talented developer, able to create interesting worlds and write gripping narratives in a high definition game space and they expressed interest in creating a new vision for Devil May Cry game for capcom. Capcom's DMC director wanted to work on another game (Dragon's Dogma) and thus Capcom felt it was the right time to try something different with DMC.

13) Why have some fans reacted strongly against this game aka do people only hate this game because Dante's hair color changed?

A) First and foremost, most fans have never been comfortable with the idea of NT developing DMC as they have never been known for their stellar combat systems. Secondly most fans felt that this was an unnecessary reboot because DMC4 sold the best in the series and also had arguably the best combat, with issues in level designs that could've easily been rectified with better direction. The Dante re-design was radical and most fans hated it but over time the media has scapegoated this as the prime reason for people hating the game. Most level headed fans see more flaws in the game than just the Dante re-design. These flaws range from issues in the combat/game play, the story/writing, the art style, the linear level design and the framerate.

14) Why are there 2 Dodge buttons in the game?

A) Since you will be holding down the Left/Right Triggers for a majority of the combat, it becomes uneasy to use the middle finger for Triggers simultaneously with the index finger as most people are accustomed to using the index finger for Triggers. Having two dodge buttons allow you to only use your index fingers for playing DmC as you can alternate pressing L2 + R1 or R2 + L1.

15) Why have some fans favored the game?

A) Because despite what you may have been led to believe.... DmC is NOT a bad action game at all! The demo proved to even the most stalwart of fans that DmC was at the very least better than Enslaved/HS in terms of game play and combat. The game is very fun in its combat and easy to get into plus the artstyle is a breath of fresh air for some. Quite a few fans were underwhelmed with the level design, story and characters of DMC4 so they were accepting of something fresh. Some fans are fine with the combat being made more accessible as most of them don't go too deep into the mechanics or delve into the combo video exhibition. DmC does have good combat game play and mechanics because even a DMC imitation usually ends up being a good action game.

16) Has the "DMC DNA" been retained?

A) To put it simply: Yes and No. This is not a simple question to answer because the "DMC DNA" means something different to different people. I feel that in terms of the artstyle it does not retain the DMC DNA at all, in fact that was the whole point. It does not have the gothic artstyle at all which is what the series has been known for. It does not have 60FPS nor does it have hard lock on... two major staples of the franchise. But it does have stylish over the top combo heavy game play and while it is "dumbed down" from previous games it still plays similarly enough that you can say it is a DMC game. It has similar characters like Dante/Vergil but with slightly altered personalities. The basic formula is pretty much the same as previous DMC games but that formula has been taken up by numerous other action games as well (like Bayonetta) so it's hard to say how much of the DMC DNA DmC really retains.

17) What's a Donte or DINO?

A) Donte is the Dante in DmC. DINO stands for Dante In Name Only.

18) How long is this game?

A) Since most of us don't have the game yet, we don't have an accurate number to go by. I have seen people say the game is as short as 6 hours and as long as 15 hours. The most recent completion times have been quoted at 7:30 and a bit under 10 hours. Take these numbers with a grain of salt until we got more accurate times. There are 20 missions in total and bosses have their own missions. 21 Secret missions as well.

19) How many DLCs does this game have? How many playable characters?

A) Right now only 2 substantial DLCs have been announced. The Vergil DLC and Bloody Palace DLC have been talked about already. There is one major playable character which is Dante and Vergil is a playable character via DLC who has his own side missions.

20) Is it coming out on Wii U?

A) There is no information on that yet but as of now it's not coming on Wii U.

21) What type of costumes are available in DmC?

A) As of this time we don't have the full details of the costumes available in the game but it appears that there are both costumes available on the retail disc and costumes available via DLC. Some of the costumes include DmC Dante but with all white hair, Dante in a "Crow" inspired costume, Dante in all black clothes and DMC3 Dante costume.

http://i.minus.com/ibuKrlQ0QlbOGr.jpg

haikira

On the subject of unskippable cutscenes. They definitely can be skipped. He's simply referring to the small 5 second ones. For example, when you destroy the cameras in limbo. Any proper cutscenes in the game, can definitely be skipped though.

While the video i linked, definitely raises valid criticisms. I think there's a few inaccuracies and unfair comparisons.

antitrop

I want smoking beaten up Dante back
Way better than this. And that sucked, too.

On the subject of unskippable cutscenes. They definitely can be skipped. He's simply referring to the small 5 second ones. For example, when you destroy the cameras in limbo. Any proper cutscenes in the game, can definitely be skipped though.

While the video i linked, definitely raises valid criticisms. I think there's a few inaccuracies and unfair comparisons.
He makes a way bigger deal out of the cutscene thing than it is. He made it sound to me like you can't skip ANY cutscenes. We'll see when I actually play the game, but I don't feel like those small interludes are really all that intrusive.

Kyon

Banned
Dante is quite the charmer.

I think he's got Attitude and Badditude.

Could ANYONE? Those 4 DmC spinoff games couldn't.
f58a8b71.gif

Scum

I'm cracking up at the perfect storm of hype killing events that have happened in the last few hours

A mocking OT comes out late but just in time for the ending of the game to leak all while Ezekial45 and Jett, the game's two brightest white knights on neogaf, get banned less than a week before the game's release.

You just can't make this shit up!
5YRcF.gif

Well after seeing the final boss and ending, all I have to say is: Why in the fuck did Ninja Shit make this game exactly? I'll spoiler this shit for anybody who thinks this game is worth staying in the dark for lol:
-So, Vergil was basically a good guy all the way until the end, yet they made his heel turn so sudden that it absolutely has no impact.

- The fight was fucking lame, not only did it look slow and prodding, not to mention that Vergil doesn't even activate his DT, but the actual arena of the fight is so fucking generic it's not even funny.

- DMC3's final battle was so atmospheric it's not even funny. Amazing music instead of this wubwub shit, flowing water and waterfalls all around instead of decayed shit all around. Not to mention that Vergil was fucking vicious, he was out for blood!

- The brother dynamic was so fucked up, Donte was fucking torturing Vergil after the fight until Kat stopped him. In DMC3 they respected and still loved each other, they wouldn't fuck each other up to get to their means.

So not only did NT fuck up the combat (which was a given since day one), but they couldn't even produce a story that was better than the previous games, while still having worse cutscene direction. I thought that was their strength for fuck's sake?!!

Also, Tameem's insecurity of having Donte saying his own name in every promotional material and even in the goddamn ending is more sad than funny at this point.

And after all the shit that was said by NT on the old Dante's design, they still ended up giving him white hair lol.

Before I forget, I salute the OP for giving this abomination the OT it deserves. Also, lol at the bans.

Yep, pretty much how I felt. Also:
That ending was JUST LIKE Enslaved's. Sad to say, Enslaved's was kind of better.

The worst part about the final fight is that they didn't use the godlike-est music that's ever come out of Capcpom's studios and instead went with some generic shit

Dahbomb

The long cutscenes are skippable but the small realtime sequences where you pull the cameras out and stuff aren't skippable.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Hopefully this game avoids that awful boss/level-rehashing crap from DMC4. That shit alone nearly enough for me to qualify DMC4 as a terrible game.

to all of you complaining about the ending

Did you really care about DmC's storyline anyway?

The supposed strong suit of NT storytelling.

Without a good story, what has NT brought to the series that is new or better than what was there previously?

Top Bottom