• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

Dahbomb

So in honor of Ezekial and Jett... I feel like we should at least put a FAQ section for the OT. Just some questions that usually get asked here and would be a good place to link for people who have no idea about the game.

I guess I will start writing it up. Any questions you guys think should be in the FAQ please post them.

So in honor of Ezekial and Jett... I feel like we should at least put a FAQ section for the OT. Just some questions that usually get asked here and would be a good place to link for people who have no idea about the game.

I guess I will start writing it up. Any questions you guys think should be in the FAQ please post them.

Question one: where is the lock on?
Question two: why are there two dodge buttons?

Beth Cyra

DmC is WAY better than DA2.

As far as gameplay? Yeah sure.

Story and characters? I actually liked some of the things Bioware did with Dragon Age II and what they attempted to do with the story. Can't say I like anything that has to do with Rat Cum.

Still gameplay is what matters in the end.

Raxus

What is DMC?
Where do I start (in the series)?
I am getting my shit handed to me, what am I doing wrong?
WTF is a donte?
Fuck you?

All seem like good questions.

Beth Cyra

Between the OP and your Tips and Tricks most stuff I would think to ask is already answered.

Wii U Port not happening/no word might be good just for all those who ask about Wii U all the time.

That is about it as far as I can think of though.

antitrop

That Dragons Age thread is amazing.

So that is why his hair is like that.
This is the best part I've found:

EmCeeGramr said:
holy shit

tell me, does the game begin with the hero (already a person of minor renown) at their home or otherwise vulnerable place suddenly being attacked due to the actions of a traitor, a mentor figure dying, leading them to accept their destiny and be inducted into a special society, work to convince the unbelieving powers that be of a threat, and recruit a team of multiracial allies and factions to stop the conspiracy of Lord Traitor to unleash Ultimate Evil?

haikira

Controversial opinion around here, i know. But i still can't wait. Love the first demo section and have played through it a load of times. Though i'll admit, i'm not necessarily crazy about the boss.

That machinima exclusive video, showing the cancels, buffering and other stuff was neat. I also liked the Japanese music video.

Yes, the dialogue from the demo boss is pretty awful. But flicking around other videos, like Dante meeting
Vergil
for the first time, the dialogue and voice acting seems perfectly fine and engaging to me.

My only real gripe, is the lack of lock on. But i still can't wait to get this on the PC. It'll definitely help, while i'm waiting for Revengeance.

1. Is this a remake or reboot?

2. What was Capcom's vision behind selecting Ninja Theory as the developer?

3. How is the game play affected/changed without the lock-on?

4. Why have some fans reacted strongly against this game aka do people only hate this game because Dante's hair color changed?

5. Why have other fans favored this game?

6. 60 fps vs 30 fps, what's the big deal?

7. Why are there two dodge buttons?

8. The PC version is coming out, do you recommend getting that over the console version?

9. Has the "DMC DNA" been retained?

Jawmuncher

1. Is this a remake or reboot?

3. How is the game play affected/changed without the lock-on?

4. Why have some fans reacted strongly against this game aka do people only hate this game because Dante's hair color changed?

5. Why have other fans favored this game?

6. 60 fps vs 30 fps, what's the big deal?

7. Why are there two dodge buttons?

8. The PC version is coming out, do you recommend getting that over the console version?

9. Has the "DMC DNA" been retained?

This is actually really good set of questions.

Well after seeing the final boss and ending, all I have to say is: Why in the fuck did Ninja Shit make this game exactly? I'll spoiler this shit for anybody who thinks this game is worth staying in the dark for lol:
-So, Vergil was basically a good guy all the way until the end, yet they made his heel turn so sudden that it absolutely has no impact.

- The fight was fucking lame, not only did it look slow and prodding, not to mention that Vergil doesn't even activate his DT, but the actual arena of the fight is so fucking generic it's not even funny.

- DMC3's final battle was so atmospheric it's not even funny. Amazing music instead of this wubwub shit, flowing water and waterfalls all around instead of decayed shit all around. Not to mention that Vergil was fucking vicious, he was out for blood!

- The brother dynamic was so fucked up, Donte was fucking torturing Vergil after the fight until Kat stopped him. In DMC3 they respected and still loved each other, they wouldn't fuck each other up to get to their means.

So not only did NT fuck up the combat (which was a given since day one), but they couldn't even produce a story that was better than the previous games, while still having worse cutscene direction. I thought that was their strength for fuck's sake?!!

Also, Tameem's insecurity of having Donte saying his own name in every promotional material and even in the goddamn ending is more sad than funny at this point.

And after all the shit that was said by NT on the old Dante's design, they still ended up giving him white hair lol.

Before I forget, I salute the OP for giving this abomination the OT it deserves. Also, lol at the bans.

G-Fex

qlAe1l.jpg

Pachinko

OP- feel free to just paste this with some more editing. I'm terrible with spelling and grammar.

1. Is this a remake or reboot? Alternative universe remake. Like Tim Burtons Planet of the Apes.

Ninja Theory has demonstrated they are a talented developer , able to create interesting worlds in a high definition game space and they expressed interest in creating a new vision for a DMC game for Capcom. Capcoms DMC team was hard at work on dragons dogma and DMC4 underperformed (internal capcom sales goals, which are usually too high anyway).

3. How is the game play affected/changed without the lock-on? The enemies are dumbed down a tad and the combat allows you to control space more smoothly, you don't need to lock on since you can control distance instead (going by the demo), combo's are easier to achieve with less complicated inputs. IE- in dmc4 you had to hit 3 buttons at the same time to launch an enemy, now you need to hit only 1.

4. Why have some fans reacted strongly against this game aka do people only hate this game because Dante's hair color changed? Hardcore gaming nerds hate it when white people make Asian IP's because there's precedent for it ending poorly in the past. There's also dante's overall appearance. He is depicted as a homeless frenchman instead of a silver haired Gackt. Mostly I think it's that, no one really thought there was a problem with the previous 2 installments in the series so this new 'vision' seems unnecessary.

5. Why have other fans favored this game? Some people have played it and want to give it a chance and remember the golden rule of the internet- nothing is louder than an asshole shitting on something it hates - so as usual the hate flows strongly and the non-hatred is kept mostly silent. Others felt capcoms DMC4 was a little underwhelming and want to see what someone else can do.

6. 60 fps vs 30 fps, what's the big deal? The lead developer at ninja theory claimed that DmC has the "feel of 60fps". Every previous DMC title ran at 60fps and it generally creates a more fluid combat experience. Basically ninja theory wanted the game to look very pretty and to do this they had to sacrifice that precious 16ms frame draw replacing it with 32ms. Should you dislike this , you can always go purchase a modest gaming pc and play it at 60 fps. I'm not personally convinced the difference will matter here since the game was designed with 30fps from the get go.

7. Why are there two dodge buttons? Hrm... I don't recall that being the case in my demo playtime but perhaps it's so each hand has access to a dodge ?

8. The PC version is coming out, do you recommend getting that over the console version?If you have a good enough PC then yeah, it's going to be cheaper and look better.

9. Has the "DMC DNA" been retained? In same sense that chicken and frog DNA was used to recreate dinosaurs in Jurassic park , yes.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
-So, Vergil was basically a good guy all the way until the end, yet they made his heel turn so sudden that it absolutely has no impact.

- The fight was fucking lame, not only did it look slow and prodding, not to mention that Vergil doesn't even activate his DT, but the actual arena of the fight is so fucking generic it's not even funny.

- DMC3's final battle was so atmospheric it's not even funny. Amazing music instead of this wubwub shit, flowing water and waterfalls all around instead of decayed shit all around. Not to mention that Vergil was fucking vicious, he was out for blood!

- The brother dynamic was so fucked up, Donte was fucking torturing Vergil after the fight until Kat stopped him. In DMC3 they respected and still loved each other, they wouldn't fuck each other up to get to their means.
Slight correction, friend:

Vergil did activate DT. I understand any confusion though because back in our day, that shit was called Doppelganger.

antitrop

The more and more I think about it, and the more I watch that video previously linked, the more I feel like the omission of a lock-on mechanic is God damned unacceptable.

The more and more I think about it, and the more I watch that video previously linked, the more I feel like the omission of a lock-on mechanic is God damned unacceptable.

The combat is just so clumsy/less precise because of the omission. And the "auto" lock-on aint nothing to write home about either, if the demo is any indication.

Even doing the stinger feels a bit clumsy

chrono01

I played through the DmC demo for the first time, and while I didn't "hate" it, I'm completely underwhelmed.

Yes, as a Devil May Cry game it fails [at least, in my personal opinion], but as an action game, it's..."alright". Given that I just played through Bayonetta [and am currently having a lot of fun with Anarchy Reigns], and have Metal Gear Rising coming next month, I'll be passing on DmC. I might pick it up later on when it drops in-price [which I'm guessing it will, and quickly] but I'm in no rush to play it.

I also have Ni no Kuni for this month. I'll be busy enough as is. ~_~

Top Bottom