• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rapstah

I program for work, I program for fun, and yet I'm terrible at strategy games. I appreciated the concept of Frozen Synapse, I liked supporting it, I probably own SpaceChem, and yet I don't know that I would actually like playing it.

I don't know what makes me so terrible at strategy, but I do like the IDEA of strategy games, lol.

SpaceChem is way more of a puzzle game than a strategy game. In fact it's more like programming than it's a strategy game.

Nabs

I program for work, I program for fun, and yet I'm terrible at strategy games. I appreciated the concept of Frozen Synapse, I liked supporting it, I probably own SpaceChem, and yet I don't know that I would actually like playing it.

I don't know what makes me so terrible at strategy, but I do like the IDEA of strategy games, lol.

Spacechem is a programming puzzle game

Blizzard

Banned
SpaceChem is way more of a puzzle game than a strategy game. In fact it's more like programming than it's a strategy game.
Perhaps the only type of game I'm worse at than strategy games is puzzle games (and maybe action games, FPS games, MOBA games, and any other type of games).

I tried Rush or whatever that block flippy game was and I don't think I ever managed to figure out the puzzles once they got more complex in order to get a magic potato. =(

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

Yeah, I had a similar problem. I just tend to stick with something through a crazy maniacal gaming spree, and then I overcome most problems. Like I tried getting into DF a dozen times, and at one point I had enough and sat myself down for 30 hours on a single weekend just to finally understand the basics. After that it just ... worked for me :)
Guess its a big help if you have someone who can explain the basics to you in an easy fashion, which is why I try to help people ease into these games.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Perhaps the only type of game I'm worse at than strategy games is puzzle games (and maybe action games, FPS games, MOBA games, and any other type of games).

I tried Rush or whatever that block flippy game was and I don't think I ever managed to figure out the puzzles once they got more complex in order to get a magic potato. =(

Oh god, yes. Rush is still making problems for me, too.

SpaceChem's pretty cool, although I got burnt out on it after five hours or so. I think I'd go back to it for a bit if they added in the ability to save different solutions for experimentation purposes.

Toma

SpaceChem's pretty cool, although I got burnt out on it after five hours or so. I think I'd go back to it for a bit if they added in the ability to save different solutions for experimentation purposes.

Why isnt that included anyway? Seriously annoying. Shouldnt be that hard to put into, someone needs to bother them via Twitter or something.

You have certainly done a nice job of this here.

:)

Nabs

I got stuck on the 4th planet or so and decided it was best to just forget about the game for a bit. It was becoming a problem.

Toma

I got stuck on the 4th planet or so and decided it was best to just forget about the game for a bit. It was becoming a problem.

I actually havent finished it either, but I definitely got my moneys worth from the purchase.

Edit: But I finally want to upgrade my avatar pic :p Migh as well give it another go on the weekend to finally get to the next level.

Dambrosi

Banned
I bought SpaceChem because Toma told me to. Got to the end of Planet 4 and stopped (mo' gaems, no time).

I'm thankful for the experience, but I also remember it being cheaper last year in the Summer Sale. Still, I'd say it's worth it at this price.

mannerbot

I bought SpaceChem because Toma told me to. Got to the end of Planet 4 and stopped (mo' gaems, no time).

I'm thankful for the experience, but I also remember it being cheaper last year in the Summer Sale. Still, I'd say it's worth it at this price.

I remember buying it for $5 during the summer sale, but I do think it's been 75% off since then.

gdt

Picked up Blur. I'll try it out tonight. Been trying to add a racing game for a bit now. BUT Dirt 3 doesn't work or something on my system. Even though the settings are correct, and fullscreen, it pops up in a small window. And half the time it locks up my system until I get rid of it.

Nabs

Picked up Blur. I'll try it out tonight. Been trying to add a racing game for a bit now. BUT Dirt 3 doesn't work or something on my system. Even though the settings are correct, and fullscreen, it pops up in a small window. And half the time it locks up my system until I get rid of it.

Press Alt+Enter when it launches in a window

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So for the X3 stuff... I notice the latest one came out in Dec and it's already on sale half price with the others. Looking at Rebirth, it seems much better looking. I guess more stylized and pleasing to the eyes than realistic. For a game that is mostly management and staring at stuff, aesthetics are more important to me than they would be with other games. It also says to be even easier to get into while continuing to expand things based on community interaction. With that in mind, any reason to get X3 other than being impatient for some space management action?

cicero

So for the X3 stuff... I notice the latest one came out in Dec and it's already on sale half price with the others. Looking at Rebirth, it seems much better looking. I guess more stylized and pleasing to the eyes than realistic. For a game that is mostly management and staring at stuff, aesthetics are more important to me than they would be with other games. It also says to be even easier to get into while continuing to expand things based on community interaction. With that in mind, any reason to get X3 other than being impatient for some space management action?
There are plenty of reasons. To quote myself:

GAF Thread - In Praise of X3: Terran Conflict.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=349919

SA Thread - X3: Terran Conflict - Like Freelancer on steroids.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2985240

Youtube - X3: Terran Conflict Tutorial.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2BC4835802365FF1&feature=plpp

Youtube - Let's Play X3: Terran Conflict.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBE809F7969C44DDB&feature=plcp

Only $10 for the X3 Terran War Pack. You should be asking, "Is there any reason not to get this?"

Toma

Spacechem made my head explode. What is a flush? Why do waldos do nothing you expect them to do? POS help system explains nothing.

Offer stands. If you want to give it another try, contact me via PM and I'll give you an easy introductory tutorial (preferably via Steam chat). The tutorial/help system IS definitely the weakest link in this game though.

So i got an email from indieroyale for the april fools bundle, and it says the game "hack, slash, loot" is a steam key, but i cant find it on steam as that is the only game I want in the bundle. Anyone have any insight on this?

mannerbot

So i got an email from indieroyale for the april fools bundle, and it says the game "hack, slash, loot" is a steam key, but i cant find it on steam as that is the only game I want in the bundle. Anyone have any insight on this?

In the past, IndieRoyale's had a special setup where you can redeem keys on Steam without the game being available to the general public. Some of these games later become proper Steam games (for example, Really Big Sky and Scoregasm).

amrod

its store page isnt up yet... but you can install and play it

its 9mb

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
In the past, IndieRoyale's had a special setup where you can redeem keys on Steam without the game being available to the general public. Some of these games later become proper Steam games (for example, Really Big Sky and Scoregasm).

And the Blackwell games as well.

epmode

Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion up for prepurchase - http://store.steampowered.com/app/204880/

$39.99 (which seems rather high? it's an expansion right?)
Standalone expansion. Translation: We know it'll only really sell to fans of the original game but we want to charge more anyway. At least it's more substantial than Diplomacy and Entrenchment!

BTW, if you already own Sins on Impulse, you can get Rebellion for $30 by ordering straight from Stardock. It's Steamworks so it works out.

graywolf323

Standalone expansion. Translation: We know it'll only really sell to fans of the original game but we want to charge more anyway. At least it's more substantial than Diplomacy and Entrenchment!

BTW, if you already own Sins on Impulse, you can get Rebellion for $30 by ordering straight from Stardock. It's Steamworks so it works out.

Dice

There are plenty of reasons. To quote myself:

Only $10 for the X3 Terran War Pack. You should be asking, "Is there any reason not to get this?"
The reason would be something better playing and not as stale-looking and more expansive coming out soon for likely not much more and also likely to go on sale relatively soon afterward considering franchise sale patterns.

Basically, it looks interesting, but I have a lot of games to play. If the next one will render this one irrelevant, it's not saving any money even to get it on sale. I would have a window to play it before it gets upgraded in the next game of the franchise, but if I play it out that quickly (fans have had over 2 years to soak it in) then it could have a burnout effect, diminishing the experience that the new game could have been.

Alternatively, if I pace things more slowly so I'm not burned out and wait to pick up the next one at a super cheap price, I may then be in a similar situation again looking forward to the next installment after that one. So then, knowing that the path of spending less now could end up being a case of spending more truly and diminishing overall impact of franchise experience, why would a newcomer get X3 instead of waiting for X Rebirth?

Yes, SpaceChem is on sale! I quite enjoyed the demo.

Anyone else secretly hope to be felled by some illness that renders you bedridden for weeks so that you actually have time to PLAY all these games?

The reason would be something better playing and not as stale-looking and more expansive coming out soon for likely not much more and also likely to go on sale relatively soon afterward considering franchise sale patterns.

Basically, it looks interesting, but I have a lot of games to play. If the next one will render this one irrelevant, it's not saving any money even to get it on sale. I would have a window to play it before it gets upgraded in the next game of the franchise, but if I play it out that quickly (fans have had over 2 years to soak it in) then it could have a burnout effect, diminishing the experience that the new game could have been.

Alternatively, if I pace things more slowly so I'm not burned out and wait to pick up the next one at a super cheap price, I may then be in a similar situation again looking forward to the next installment after that one. So then, knowing that the path of spending less now could end up being a case of spending more truly and diminishing overall impact of franchise experience, why would a newcomer get X3 instead of waiting for X Rebirth?

Rebirth doesn't even have a release date at this point, and the X3 line is a lot different from what Rebirth is going to be.

RetroGreg

You can redeem Hack Slash loot on Steam ok, but your grid view will be tarnished with the little icon........I WISH I KNEW THIS BEFORE, lol.

Dambrosi

Banned
It's called unemployment. On the positive side, SpaceChem is a lot of fun!

Unfortunately, those afflicted with the condition, also known as "Career Dysfunction Disorder" (including me ;__;), suffer from a rapid wasting away of monetary muscle, and so often have to wait until such games are "on sale", since their fiscal organs cannot digest full-price products.

It used to be that the condition was easily cured, but these days, there's not enough liquid money serum to go around, and won't be for a long while.

:p

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Gabe Newell speaks!

(Courtesy of DrForester)

All makes sense now

5ZYum.jpg

Dice

the X3 line is a lot different from what Rebirth is going to be.
I can't seem to find much information on Rebirth. It does say "radically different design" at one point but the rest it says makes that sound like it's just such an improvement/overhaul that you have to call it "different" so people can expect that. I see stuff about combat being better, deep trading still being a major thing, travel being sped up, and long-time fans being pleased, but nothing that would make it seem like it will be a whole different concept. Are there some info dumps from the dev that I'm missing?

Edit: nm, discovered their forums, reading...

Edit 2: Okaaaay... After reading their main threads, it looks like the changes are consolidating currently separate systems into single systems that also open up many freedoms, to do the same things and more with less hassle of jumping around between separate tasks. It seems like a knowledge of X3 systems will function as a "college education" for the sort of captaining dynamics you'll work with in Rebirth. Thus... I'm getting it!

I wonder if I'll play it.

Dice

BUT WAIT... The X3 Terran War Pack was $5 in the Christmas sale. Maybe I should wait for summer sale...

Not Steam related but my Battle.net account got hacked and banned in a day :(

It's not a big loss because I only had WoW (wich I only played for a month in 2009). It still angers me of course, I changed every password I had just for precaution.

Thank God Steam Guard exists.

Card Boy

Banned
Not Steam related but my Battle.net account got hacked and banned in a day :(

It's not a big loss because I only had WoW (wich I only played for a month in 2009). It still angers me of course, I changed every password I had just for precaution.

Thank God Steam Guard exists.

If you have an iOS device or Android based phone, the Battlenet authenticator is free. Or you can buy a physical USB authenticator off the Blizzard store for under 15bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom