• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA2 |OT15| anime only please

Hylian7

I just spent 15 minutes chasing this pure black horse around just so i could tame her and name her nightmare...
I managed to get the horse I was chasing. I named it Ezalor. I like the way horses work in this game. At first I thought the horse controls were bad, then I listened to the tips on it from the stable. They explained how they follow the path, and if they freak out you have to gently steer them back and soothe. Now my horse is 90 trust and controls much better.

Bottom line: don't try to control horses like OoT and TP, it's nothing like those. Use gentle movements, and you seldom need to jerk the analog stick for the most part other than trying to stop.

I managed to get the horse I was chasing. I named it Ezalor. I like the way horses work in this game. At first I thought the horse controls were bad, then I listened to the tips on it from the stable. They explained how they follow the path, and if they freak out you have to gently steer them back and soothe. Now my horse is 90 trust and controls much better.

Bottom line: don't try to control horses like OoT and TP, it's nothing like those. Use gentle movements, and you seldom need to jerk the analog stick for the most part other than trying to stop.

You can also use LZ and strafe with the horse for more control if you get stuck. And dont forget to feed Ezalor a carrot every once in a while ;)

Hylian7

You can also use LZ and strafe with the horse for more control if you get stuck. And dont forget to feed Ezalor a carrot every once in a while ;)
I haven't even seen and carrots yet. :( I did the strafe thing before but didn't know it was LZ that did it.

I went to the Floria/beach area first, but now in Kakariko.

How good is the tutorial for this game if I want to start playing it? Should I do that first and then some bot matches?

The tutorial is only "bad" in the sense that it doesn't really prepare you for the massive amount of work you'll have to do to learn the various systems in the game. It's fine for getting your feet wet if you're new to MOBAs in general or are coming from a very different one.

Otherwise yes, playing some bot matches and being able to reliably beat Easy bots is probably a good first goal. Your first few online matches will be a mess of smurfs and general awfulness so it's probably good to familiarize yourself with things first.

Hylian7

How good is the tutorial for this game if I want to start playing it? Should I do that first and then some bot matches?
It'll get you started with learning the map, general game flow and other things of that nature. I don't know how up to date they are. They were made pre-7.00 so I have no idea if they take things like shrines into account.

Once you get the hang of it, I would just queue normal queue. The people you get matched with will be on your skill level. Beyond that, just pick heroes you want other than what most considers the "hard no's" for new players: Meepo, Invoker, Arc Warden, Lone Druid, and probably some others I am forgetting. Some are harder than others for a new player. For items, you will likely end up following guides for your first handful of games, but think about what items you buy based on the guide and why they are good on that hero.

Some items to note:

Black King Bar (BKB) - Spell immunity (stuns, slows, etc.). Some spells go through this, each one says whether it does it not. Also makes you have 100% magic resistance, so physical and pure still hurt as long as they pierce spell immunity.
Observer wards - plant them to reveal an area on the map. If you are support (and even if you aren't) and buy and place these, you are leaps ahead of players at your level.
Dust, sentry wards, gem - see invisible heroes. If the other team has someone with invisible, you want these, whichever one works in your situation.

Fevaweva

2 Hotish takes:

Rubick is the most fun hero to watch a pro play.

This new Lone Druid goes against the very concept of the hero and I hope Icefrog reworks him.

Hylian7

2 Hotish takes:

This new Lone Druid goes against the very concept of the hero and I hope Icefrog reworks him.

IMO they just need to redo his talents. Remove the range one and replace it with something that is actually beneficial to the bear. The way he is played right now, he is such a Mary Sue hero. Incredibly boring.

Moppeh

Banned
IMO they just need to redo his talents. Remove the range one and replace it with something that is actually beneficial to the bear. The way he is played right now, he is such a Mary Sue hero. Incredibly boring.

Or just nerf the fuck out of those talents. If people want to play him like Sniper, that's fine, but he shouldn't that fucking strong.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
2 Hotish takes:

Yeah, making him an OP ranged attacker is a bad side effect of all the power creep the new items have brought the game. I think ideally there should be 2 effective ways to play Lone Druid, focus items on the bear or focus items on the hero, so in that respect the hero is the most interesting its been right now because both can generally win you a game.

Unfortunately both of the most viable builds are pretty out of balance right now. The bear needs more viable builds than rushing radiance and knocking down buildings at 15-20 minutes. And the hero needs a viable build that focuses around his ultimate and not just being an OP lightning throwing sniper god.

To be honest I wish they'd just roll back the entire talent system. I fucking hate it. On 99% of heroes levels 10-20 are largely ineffectual supplements to stats the way a minor mid-game items would be. Then at 25 you get a choice between one OP, meta defining, bullshit ability, or some negligible stat boost.

inkls

Or just nerf the fuck out of those talents. If people want to play him like Sniper, that's fine, but he shouldn't that fucking strong.

well unless his bear counterpart's talents get massive buffs there's no way it won't be played over it.

+55 dmg on a ranged hero or +30 dmg to the bear which is really 25 dmg to heroes since the bear's dmg type does 85% dmg to heroes instead of 100%?

-40 respawn type on a carry or +12 armor on the spirit bear?

well unless his bear counterpart's talents get massive buffs there's no way it won't be played over it.

+55 dmg on a ranged hero or +30 dmg to the bear which is really 25 dmg to heroes since the bear's dmg type does 85% dmg to heroes instead of 100%?

-40 respawn type on a carry or +12 armor on the spirit bear?

-40s respawn should just be removed from the hero. it's fucking dumb.

shira

Beyondthesummit
is running a Kiev Hub casting the more popular teams in all 6 Open Qualifiers/Battle/Champion Cups then all the games 24/7 in the Regional Qualifiers starting at:
t1488794400z1.png

Mar 6-7 Kiev Major Open Qualifier #1

t1488967200z1.png

Mar 8-9 Kiev Major Open Qualifier #2

t1489140000z1.png

Mar 10-13 Kiev Major Regional Qualifier

Notable Open Qualifiers:
SEA: MineskiX (Mushi stack), Bazaar (ex-Warriors Gaming)
CN: Ehome (cty stack), VG (end stack), Newbee Boss (xiao8 stack)
EU: Horde (akke stack), Bean (sing stack)
CIS: LQ (funn1k stack)
NA: Veggies (Merlini stack)
SA: Infamous (Benjaz stack), NoT (Kotaro Hayama stack)

*Fnatic have decided not to compete and prefer to focus on TI7 (?)

Yazzees

"esports personalities from other games who try to get into dota for a couple weeks around every major event and then burn out" should be a jeopardy category

Hylian7

So at risk of getting spoiled, and the BotW thread moving too fast, I thought I might ask some questions to the people playing it here:

This is about seeing a thing at Lake Hylia:
Has anyone seen the dragon? I saw it and by the time I could get over there, it already went under the water and didn't come back.

This is around Gerudo Tower:
I saw another dragon similar to the Lake Hylia one, but I couldn't get to it because I hadn't tagged a shrine I could warp to up there, and the tower would have been too low to glide from. I'm willing to bet these will come up as a sidequest somehow, but I'm curious what happens if I ever get close enough to touch one.

Twookie

So at risk of getting spoiled, and the BotW thread moving too fast, I thought I might ask some questions to the people playing it here:

Has anyone seen the dragon? I saw it and by the time I could get over there, it already went under the water and didn't come back.

I saw another dragon similar to the Lake Hylia one, but I couldn't get to it because I hadn't tagged a shrine I could warp to up there, and the tower would have been too low to glide from. I'm willing to bet these will come up as a sidequest somehow, but I'm curious what happens if I ever get close enough to touch one.

I have seen them, but I am not sure what they are. I would imagine some sort of world bosses? they might appear based on
time of day
like some other bosses I won't name.

TUSR

Banned
You don't want to get spoiled about BotW in the BotW thread, so you bring that discussion into the Dota thread?

Demoli

You just have to get to them faster really. They have a patrol area.

Twookie

Sounds reasonable to me? People have very different thresholds when it comes to spoilers.

I think it's reasonable and unreasonable honestly. I don't venture in the BotW OT because I want to get to see all for myself without getting spoilered etc.

At the same time, I don't want anyone to spoil BotW here in this thread either. The spoiler mentioned here is pretty mild at best though, so I wouldn't be mad personally if someone spoiled it to me, doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.

Only reason why I replied to his spoilers was purely because I had already seen what he was mentioning and had a good idea of what he was talking about before clicking on his tag.

Hylian7

Also the mini-guardian things you see all the time are the cutest thing when they use the swords.

Wait, what actually do you want to know? The fun part is figuring out what needs to be done for each one. It will be different situation for all
of them.

Nah, this is about all I need to know.

I had a guess there were four of them, one in each corner of the map.

I have seen them, but I am not sure what they are. I would imagine some sort of world bosses? they might appear based on
time of day
like some other bosses I won't name.

Lake Hylia:
I thought that one was based on weather, maybe it was conicidence that it appeared during a thunderstorm. Oh well, I'll hopefully see it again and figure it out in time next time.

You just have to get to them faster really. They have a patrol area.

Hopefully I see one again soon and can get there. In Lake Hylia I hit the shrine on the island there, so I can get down there quickly if I see it again.

Hylian7

I, for one, enjoy having to avoid Zelda spoilers in the Dota thread.

The OT usually annoys me because so much of the time, people do spoilers like this there:

Holy shit, I just saw that time that I went to
the Dota map
and climbed a mountain and fought
Roshan
and then I stole
Keeper of the Light's horse

Top Bottom