• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinite Warfare borrow designs from Halo?

Lol ya'll need to check up on your definition of "homage" and "tribute"

No one copies a loading screen to pay homage, and top down copying a character design is a mile past tribute territory.

Lol ya'll need to check up on your definition of "homage" and "tribute"

No one copies a loading screen to pay homage, and top down copying a character design is a mile past tribute territory.

I'm only referring to the Black Ops calling card. The character design is something else, but Infinite Warfare is gonna tank anyway so who cares?

Kalentan

I'm only referring to the Black Ops calling card. The character design is something else, but Infinite Warfare is gonna tank anyway so who cares?

Infinite Warfare is going to tank? Okay. Is this from the same house of belief that BF1 was going to outsell it when BF1 didn't even sell as well as BF3?

Z O N E

Did you guys look at the challenge at all?

It's to play the Arena Ranked mode in Black Ops 3. Guess what the ranked playlist was called in Reach? Arena.

So they made a calling card in reference to the Halo Reach Arena mode.

Clearly when Borderlands 2 made it's Dark Souls reference, it was just stealing. Not tributing or referencing.

Any actual evidence that it's a tribute to Reach? You keep saying it's a tribute, it's a tribute but not once have you posted credible evidence to show that it is infact a tribute.

Kai Ozu

I agree with you OP, the stuff in IW looks very similar to Bungie Halo stuff. And the maps too are kinda laid out like Bungie Halo maps. I kinda like that about this game.

JaseMath

Ill update the OP too:

Jorge from Halo Reach:

jorge.png

Character from IW:

infinguy.png

Loading screen from Reach:

reachloading.png

Loading screen from IW:

infiniloading.png
That's pretty blatant if you ask me.

SaganIsGOAT

While I agree that stealing part of artwork directly is more than just a reference, how do you know MS/343 didn't okay this little easter egg/reference? Maybe Frank O'Connor or Bonnie Ross sent an email to whoever the boss of Treyarch is okaying the use of the image.

Well none of us knows that.

All I know is I proved they literally copied and used parts of Bungies art. The smoke is telling

ookami

Infinite Warfare is going to tank? Okay. Is this from the same house of belief that BF1 was going to outsell it when BF1 didn't even sell as well as BF3?

I'm curious about your source about BF1 not selling as well as BF3.
BF3 had 5 million unit sold globally. BF1 outsell BF4 et BC just in UK chart (just under the 4 millions units from The Division).

Not to forget that people were more inclined to pre-order in 2011 than today, after five years of abuse. :p

Kalentan

I'm curious about your source about BF1 not selling as well as BF3.
BF3 had 5 million unit sold globally. BF1 outsell BF4 et BC just in UK chart.

Not to forget that people were more inclined to pre-order in 2011 than today, after five years of abuse. :p

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=221269605&postcount=4

PAL numbers.

BF3 on it's first week sold 400k.

BF1 sold only 277k on it's first week.

BF1 may eventually turn around and sell more than BF3 ultimately but at the moment it has not.

It should be noted that this is just PAL and BF does sell better in the states. However, even if you add BF1's US sales versus BF3's PAL + US sales, it still was higher.

Madness

Any actual evidence that it's a tribute to Reach? You keep saying it's a tribute, it's a tribute but not once have you posted credible evidence to show that it is infact a tribute.

It is a tribute because they want to 'stan for a company they like. Nothing indicates it is a tribute. It seems like a somewhat obvious copy of Reach concept art and designs as a way to create their own futuristic shooter. Bungie now publishes games under Activision and Halo is perhaps the only other futuristic shooter on the market that has very unique designs at times. There are other things too, there is some bubble shield type thing, active camo etc. They probably were under pressure to innovate their own shooter away from Treyarch and borrowed heavy inspiration from Reach for a futuristic class based fps shooter in a sense.

ookami

meerak

The loading image seems more likely to be homage than rip off. I say that because you'd have to be beyond simple to think that no one who worked on Halo would notice. It's not like these guys are making a little indie game... the visibility is sky high.

As for that generic armour which is based on currently existing lift suits or whatever those are called, well, who cares.

Madness

And there we go! Quoting this again, because people for some reason still think is an IW loading screen.
Even halo has COD references, like "fishstick" controller layout.

That is different. Medal of Honor had a controller layout called Hail to the Chief that mimicked Halo controls. This shown here isn't a reference or tribute as it is straight up looking at and copying assets changing them ever so slightly it isn't 100% the same etc. Nothing wrong it per se. At least acknowledge it though.

whyman

PAL numbers.

BF1 may eventually turn around and sell more than BF3 ultimately but at the moment it has not.

It should be noted that this is just PAL and BF does sell better in the states. However, even if you add BF1's US sales versus BF3's PAL + US sales, it still was higher.

Wait... I'm pretty sure BF1 came out the 21st. That is 3 days ago, can it really count as first week sales?

On topic: I would say it's stealing.

Iorv3th

PAL numbers.

Digital wasn't as prevalent when BF3 came out either.

Arkeband

Banned
If ya'll tried clicking the link about BLOPS3 paying tribute to Halo, you'd see that the Treyarch team were fans of Bungie and sent them a bunch of copies of their games. It's called an Easter Egg - an incidental, unimportant part of the game that they used as a nod to another series the devs liked. They weren't plastering that Reach paintover image all over their promo trailers or advertisements for the game.

Good lord do some of you love a witch hunt.

kaMARfM.jpg

Being fans of another game is not license to steal artwork.

Your energy would be better spent finding proof that they gave permission to use that artwork.

PAL numbers.

Saying "only" is more than a bit disingenuous when we don't know what the digital is. Especially then they clearly made a ploy for that market with things like the Early Enlister edition.

TheYanger

Do people not read or something? The challenge on it's own wouldn't be a reference. It's the combination of the challenge and the art work that make it a reference. How is that hard to understand? I'm thinking people are having trouble understanding that.

Tracing over a random loading screen image with a very vague name reference isn't an homage, it's not using art as a reference, it's just shitty. You can't look at that picture and go "OH THATS A HALO REFERENCE!" unless you're intimitely familiar with the particular reach picture. There are a thousand other ways they could make a picture evoke a feeling of halo for people that don't involve paintbrushing over an actual image from the game.

There is a big difference between a reference to something (usually what is done, such as the control scheme names mentioned above) and legitimately copying something.

Oh shit, you're right! I'm sure the Treyarch artists never thought any of their buddies at Bungie or Microsoft would recognize the image that pops up all over the first page of Google Image's search results when you type "Halo Reach." Nope, it was totally a thinly veiled attempt to cheat their way out of having to come up with some generic sci-fi art for the 300th calling card. But boy oh boy did you internet sleuths show 'em up - they would have gotten away with it if it weren't for you meddling kids!

jenniferlawrenceokay.gif

Carry on tilting at windmills and hunting witches then.

So why is the smoke exactly the same? Oh, because they literally traced over the picture, don't care how good of friends they are that's not something that is generally looked favorably upon.

I've seen more than a few Destiny design choices too.

Mostly the perks on the new weapons drops, plus a bunch of the abilities are straight out of Destiny.

It's a little depressing COD is becoming a hodge podge of other shooters.

Kalentan

You didn't watch/read any of it then did you?

Did you?

As people have pointed out:

1. The 'Griffball' mode, Uplink has been in the series since Advanced Warfare.
2. The video says: "Infinite Warfare", when one of the examples given are from Black Ops 3 (That should tell you how much they researched).
3. On the topic of the Rocket Launcher, have you played Doom? The one in Doom 2016 looks nearly identical and as another person posted in the thread, there is real life RPGs that look similar.
4. The robot that you can get from the MP score streak, if you look at the design, it's basically a bigger version of the Synaptic RIG in the multiplayer. Hardly that they looked at Halo for that when it already matches one of their own designs.
5. The Ring station has been around for far longer than Halo has existed and there is a real life science for them. The comparison is weak as the maps themselves look nothing alike.
6. The Pelican design is hardly original itself, having borrowed it's design from Aliens. Not to mention from another post, the Quinjet from Avengers looks like it. It's a realistic design of a drop ship. As they designed the ships and vehicles based off of their interactions with NASA and the military, they most likely designed it off of that.
They're all an evolution of this:
Except the ones in Halo, Aliens, COD, need to actually work in space.

Arkeband

Banned
It's called a paintover as has been mentioned several times already. Yes, the Treyarch artist who did that literally took the original Reach promo art and painted over it with the express purpose of altering it enough that their lawyers wouldn't freak but to be obvious enough to everyone else in the game industry that it's a nod to Halo. Doing that paintover was actually more work than it would have been to use one of the hundreds of pieces of sci-fi concept art they already had for the game, so they actually went out of their way to create that Easter Egg reference. And yes, any AAA game of that scale will have hundreds if not thousands of pieces of concept art that they could have used, which would have already been created and sitting on their network drives well in advance of the UI team making all the random calling cards (the fact that AAA projects generate so much concept art is the reason collector's art books are a thing).

You might want to put up your jennifer lawrence ok.gif's up for your own posts, buddy.

I get it, you don't want the reputation of CoD tarnished by their acts of IP theft, but spinning their thievery as some labor of love is so overwhelmingly ridiculous.

Artists can reference other artists without copying and pasting. The entire "it was a tribute" defense sounds like the Melania Trump defense force trying to quantify just how much of her speech was original vs. stolen - if anything is stolen it's theft.

clav

What's up with the 10+ minute commentary with a lot of fluff in order to get higher paid ads?

That other thread regarding a 10+ minute video analyzing 6 seconds of footage Super Mario Switch had that same problem, too.

Why do people post clickbait?

Arkeband

Banned
Nah this one is better. You obviously don't have a clue anyway. Go put the earplugs back in and play detective though, without you Bungie would have never known Activision was stealing from it!
<obnoxious meme gifs>

Wikipedia:
On April 29, 2010, Bungie announced that it was entering into a 10-year publishing agreement with publisher Activision Blizzard. Under Bungie's agreement with Activision, new intellectual property developed by Bungie will be owned by Bungie, not Activision, in a deal similar to the EA (Electronic Arts) Partners Program.

Halo: Reach release date: September 14, 2010

If your post was intended to make it seem like they were 'stealing from themselves', it seems like their publishing agreement was set up to protect against this very situation.

They're tributes, they even have a rocket launcher that looks like the Halo 5 one and is called "Spartan." Gameplay is still super different from each other, which matters the most.

Justinh

Really? Well I guess we hit rock bottom then.

I think I see what you're doing, but then again I got brain damage so I might be imagining things (not since the day I was born though).

I really don't know how to feel about this. I'm not sure where we draw the line between copying someone else's work and paying homage/being inspired/making a tribute to something. I'd imagine if it were the latter, then they'd gladly say so (Man, I wanna watch Yojimbo again now lol). Maybe someone will straight up ask them and they'll say that's what it was.
I'm guessing if Bungie cared, we'd know by now but I dunno.

Yeah, because centrifugal space stations were concieved by Halo...
dd_STorus1a.jpg

STANTRUS.jpg

Ofc not lol ;) but obviously Halo popularised them AND regarding the amount of inspiration in this COD took from Halo it's clear that this ring was not put there random.

There is also a space elevator too you know.
14708252_10210404501561526_4295510600576403291_n.jpg

ODST first then COD

Wait...Halo did not create the space elevator rights? (joking of course)
Strange though that all these elements are almost identical to the one in the Halo universe.

Also the Space Marine faction is called UNSA in this Call of Duty, in Halo they are called UNSC.
Something else?

it is comical how up in arms people are getting about this (the calling card thing)

bungie doesn't give a shit so why should you? calm the heck down

the jorge knockoff is pushing it though, you won't find me defending infinity ward on that one

Kalentan

Ofc not lol ;) but obviously Halo popularised them AND regarding the amount of inspiration in this COD took from Halo it's clear that this ring was not put there random.

There is also a space elevator too you know.
14708252_10210404501561526_4295510600576403291_n.jpg

ODST first then COD

Wait...Halo did not create the space elevator rights? (joking of course)
Strange though that all these elements are almost identical to the one in the Halo universe.

Also the Space Marine faction is called UNSA in this Call of Duty, in Halo they are called UNSC.
Something else?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_elevator

It's been a concept since 1895. It's not like Halo popularized that.

Also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_elevators_in_fiction

The UNSA... Yeah it's similar but that's also because both are part of the United Nations. There isn't much else they could have done more so since they don't want to remove all connection to the past. (I.E. UN is a concept right now, therefore it would still exist 110 years from now.)

Also to be fair, Halo itself isn't in the naming. UNSC is a real thing. United Nations Security Council.

In fact...

Guess what game series is this from?

Top Bottom