• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Feud: Bette and Joan |OT| I promise it's not just for gays

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcfrank

"Whats your name?"
"Sylvia"
"Well, Fuck off Sylvia"

Had to pause the show to laugh for 2 minutes after that exchange. Sarandon is killing it on this show.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight!

And the Winner Is... (The Oscars of 1963)

Bette is on track to win a record-breaking third Best Actress Oscar and Joan and Hedda launch a clandestine campaign against her.

Man, that was brutal. What a bitch Joan Crawford was.
Terrific acting by Sarandon, that moment where she
loses the Oscar
was hard to watch.

Kas

I saw the first episode a few weeks ago with my mom and I LOVED the attention to detail to the surroundings and sets.

I'm a sicker for period 60s, and this show nails it. Plus, Alfred Molina is so goddamn good in this. Everyone is.

Bladenic

I thought it was weird that Victor Buono didn't appear in the last episode since he wasn't he nominated for his role in Baby Jane too? Unless he didn't show up in real life idk

berzeli

Banned
I thought it was weird that Victor Buono didn't appear in the last episode since he wasn't he nominated for his role in Baby Jane too? Unless he didn't show up in real life idk
I couldn't find anything about him being there. Or not being there.
But it wasn't uncommon in those days for actors to not show up for the awards.
This show is really depressing lol
Hollywood in those days were pretty depressing (well, still is really).

xMaxie77

Neo Member
I can't think of two better actors to play them. But I really hate the ads. The font and the colors are all wrong. I see billboards all around LA for the show - why the fuck are they using a Flinstones-ass font? The ads seem like a real mismatch. That rant aside, I can't wait to see the show. I'm going to a hype viewing of Whatever Happened to Baby Jane at the LA Theater tomorrow. Can't wait!

If Saul Bass inspired the intro sequence, that's all you need to know to understand the posters.

Anyone who's caught up, would you recommend watching Whatever Happened to Baby Jane first or after watching the series?

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
If you're already involved in the show, there's no harm in waiting until later to see Baby Jane - although Feud does obviously spoil some key scenes, if that's of concern to you (personally, I think spoiler culture is absurd and it wouldn't bother me in the slightest). Straight Jacket and Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte should be on your watch list afterwards, as well. I loved the recreated scenes from Straight Jacket in this last episode.

When the show first started out, I was thrilled with Sarandon's role, but man, Lang has absolutely killed in the back stretch here. Either (or both!) could be up for acting awards when the time comes.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Straight Jacket and Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte should be on your watch list afterwards, as well.

Agreed~ The twist in Straight Jacket is fucking nuts!

I loved the recreated scenes from Straight Jacket in this last episode.

That recreated trailer was so fun.

When the show first started out, I was thrilled with Sarandon's role, but man, Lang has absolutely killed in the back stretch here.

She's definitely been given juicier material in the back half of the show, that's for sure.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The penultimate episode is tonight!

Abandoned!

With production of "Hush...Hush Sweet Charlotte" underway, the feud is intensified when Joan learns of a new producer on the project. Also: Bette reveals her vulnerabilities to Bob.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Went into that episode thinking it was the finale, so needless to say, I was a bit confused by the lack of real closure or epilogue, hah. Glad we've got one more to go.

Blader

This show is fucking great.

And Baby Jane is going into my rotation for the next October horror movie marathon for sure.

berzeli

Banned
Olivia de Havilland is a treasure:
The 100-year-old actress, who is played by Catherine Zeta-Jones in the show, responded to The Hollywood Reporter’s attempts to get her to comment on the series, the larger feud between Bette Davis and Joan Crawford, and the 1963 Oscars ceremony at the heart of the series with an email that can only be described as gorgeously dismissive:
“I have received your email with its two questions,” De Havilland replied. “I would like to reply first to the second of these, which inquires of me the accuracy of a current television series entitled Feud, which concerns Bette Davis and Joan Crawford and their supposed animosity toward each other. Having not seen the show, I cannot make a valid comment about it. However, in principle, I am opposed to any representation of personages who are no longer alive to judge the accuracy of any incident depicted as involving themselves.”

De Havilland added, “As to the 1963 Oscar ceremony, which took place over half a century ago, I regret to say that I have no memory of it whatsoever and therefore cannot vouch for its accuracy.”

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The finale is tonight!

You Mean All This Time We Could Have Been Friends?

In the season finale, Joan accepts a leading role on a new film despite her deteriorating health. Later: Faced with a new rival, Bette reflects on her misplaced feud with Joan.

jb1234

Shit, that was depressing as fuck. But I have to give credit to everyone involved (especially Lange). They finally made my heart ache for Joan Crawford.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
What a devastating episode. The season started out with Sarandon as the standout, but Lange really shined in the back half of the season - with the finale being perhaps her best episode.

All in all, it was a good season. Very strong performances, (mostly) accurate period details, fun easter eggs for classic film fans, and it was nowhere near as campy and trashy as I expected it to be when I first heard that it was in development. Murphy surprised me with this one.

I look forward to seeing what they do with Charles and Diana.

Bladenic

Great show but too much Crawford and not enough Davis. I guess Sarandon was too busy campaigning for Bernie or something.

Great series. Particularly enjoyed Alfred Molina in this. That scene near the end when he had finally had enough and ripped into Joan was priceless.

I've got Baby Jane on my DVR and will be watching very soon. Kinda glad the show didn't spoil the whole thing.

Zousi

At the finish line finally. Liked this one quite a lot. That period setting with all it's colorful players worked in this like a charm. Movie buffs who love films from that era should automatically like this. It's always interesting to see some behind the scenes stuff about filmmaking in all it's glory and hardship and Feud definitely managed to deliver on that front.

Acting was also very enjoyable on all fronts lead by Jessica Lange, who once again demonstrated what an gifted performer she is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom