• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ - Season 3 - Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

ari

Banned
I expected a full blown battle between woodbury and the prison. Other then that, the finale wasn't that bad. Andrea death was surprising. Carl became a bad ass, and the governor became a crazy fucking big bad for next season. Also, the prison became a full blown community that will only bring more characters and plotlines to the story. Good shit.

You'd want to watch a 13 year old facefuck a 27 year old? What's wrong with you dude.

I didn't say that. But thanks for the laugh. :)

He's a child who has spent the last 2 (?) years in the zombie apocalypse, watching his friends and family die one by one in the most gruesome ways imaginable. He's either going to be totally out of control hysterical/crazy or he's going to be stoic and keep it all bottled up. I'm glad the writers took him in the latter direction.

He's still an annoying child actor.

ari

Banned
Lol indeed if you think Walking Dead compares favorably to any season of Dexter outside of the indefensible sixth season. Dexter is far from being a great show, but you don't have to be great to smoke TWD.

Dexter is not better then the walking dead. That is definitely a matter of opinion, but c'mon now.

strobogo

Banned
I will be so pissed it if is revealed next season that the gunshot was Michonne and Andrea somehow lived. The ending was so weird. The last 6-7 episodes was building to this giant battle, with everyone gearing up for war, and instead there was one scene where Glenn and Maggie held off the entire force and they left it at that. Then it actually ends with bringing more people, which seems pretty silly considering The Gov is still around and is obviously going to come back. And that's a ton of food and supplies being given up when earlier in the season Rick gave as little to the new (and much smaller) group as possible. I think the previous episode was better.

Also, I can't believe Rick let that little shit head not only blatantly lie to him, but tell him to go like he was a little dog. Dude needs to show his kid that he's still his dad and is to be respected a bit more, even in a zombie apocalypse. Kind of not the time to be a rebellious kid.

Higgy

Dexter is not better then the walking dead. That is definitely a matter of opinion, but c'mon now.

Of all the shows I watch Breaking Bad, Homeland, Mad Men, Game of Thrones ect ect Walking Dead is easily the worst. Bad acting and horrible writing. Has it's moments for sure but is medicore. If I had to choose between Dexter and Walking I'd choose Dexter.

Of all the shows I watch Breaking Bad, Homeland, Mad Men, Game of Thrones ect ect Walking Dead is easily the worst. Bad acting and horrible writing. Has it's moments for sure but is medicore. If I had to choose between Dexter and Walking I'd choose Dexter.

Dexter has actually redeemed itself of late. Dexter and The Walking Dead are eerily similar. They both feature terrible writing and bad acting. But Michael C Hall is incredibly likable (even as a serial killer) and his performance makes the show worth watching alone. Not to mention that Dexter is illogical and stupid, but at least it follows its own logic.

I roll my eyes constantly at The Walking Dead. Unlikable, stupid characters. Glacial build ups that lead to nowhere. AMC interference that makes a zombie show primarily be set during the day. A revolving door of showrunners. Terrible writing. Ugh.

eso76

I was wondering how the writers would handle teamrick fighting and killing those innocent men and women the governor brought to his side.
Well, there's my answer.

He's a child who has spent the last 2 (?) years in the zombie apocalypse, watching his friends and family die one by one in the most gruesome ways imaginable. He's either going to be totally out of control hysterical/crazy or he's going to be stoic and keep it all bottled up. I'm glad the writers took him in the latter direction.

Ok. Nothing wrong with that. But zero facial expressions in EVERY SCENE. Is he cosplaying or what. See if I had to shoot my mom in the face when I was 12, I'd have been anaconda Rick but 100x worse. To see a 12 yr old boy behave like a coldblooded hitman is dumb.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Ok. Nothing wrong with that. But zero facial expressions in EVERY SCENE. Is he cosplaying or what. See if I had to shoot my mom in the face when I was 12, I'd have been anaconda Rick but 100x worse.

Keeping everything bottled up and being emotionless after everything that happened is a valid reaction though.

To see a 12 yr old boy behave like a coldblooded hitman is dumb.

There was a review of the finale on Think Progress that touched on this a bit. I thought it was interesting so I'll post that part:

The episode’s most self-subversive theme was the disturbing transformation of Carl the likeable badass into Carl the scarred child soldier. For most of this season, Carl’s growing competence at killing has been received by critics and fans as a welcome use of a previously useless character. Maureen Ryan sums up the consensus, which I shared, as: “we trust this kid to take care of post-apocalyptic business.”

But actual child soldiers aren’t efficient killers. They’re children ripped from their families, made into slaves, and tortured until they kill for their warlord masters. The psychological effects are devastating, but varied: some child soldiers, for example, become suicidally depressed and some develop dissociation symptoms that haunt them for their whole lives. Another symptom is that they become violent, especially in defense of the group they were fighting for — just like Carl:

Research shows that former child soldiers have difficulties in controlling aggressive impulses and have little skills for handling life without violence. These children show on-going aggressiveness within their families and communities, even after relocation to their home villages….Former beliefs about ‘right’ and ‘wrong’ actions might clash with current ones, and in order to regain cognitive homeostasis, identification with the rebel group is aspired. Interestingly, this study showed a positive correlation between collective identification and reactive aggression (physical and verbal aggression and anger).

So when Carl murdered the surrendering boy, it wasn’t just creepy because his reasoning (“I did what I had to do”) was identical to the Governor’s stated motivation for killing Andrea and Milton (“you kill or you die”). He was displaying textbook symptoms of a child forced to kill. By inextricably tying Carl’s “badass” turn to such a deranged real-life evil, “Welcome to the Tombs” forced viewers to confront just why it was they were cheering for Carl’s pistol proficiency and what, exactly, that says about their sanitized views about war and redemptive violence.

Pand

I thought "Clear" was fantastic. Notable because the first episode and "Clear"
both feature Lennie James. Take a hint writers.

Both episodes also didn't have a large ensemble of characters to deal with, which is something the writers are clearly struggling with, so they were more focused. But I agree,
Lennie James is awesome.

I feel like we're constantly having the discussion on the quality of TWD, even though it was succinctly stated a while ago by a regular in this thread that, while most HBO shows may be like a fine filet mignon, and TWD is more like a hamburger, it's still a pretty darn good hamburger.

Just think of the Season 3 finale as finding a bone in your last bite of that hamburger.

jerry113

Banned
Can we all at least agree that Bear McCreary does a great job with the soundtrack for this series? I wish they would unchain him a bit, like he did with Battlestar Galactica where the producers basically allowed him to go crazy with the music.

Pand

I feel like we're constantly having the discussion on the quality of TWD, even though it was succinctly stated a while ago by a regular in this thread that, while most HBO shows may be like a fine filet mignon, and TWD is more like a hamburger, it's still a pretty darn good hamburger.

Just think of the Season 3 finale as finding a bone in your last bite of that hamburger.

As long as the quality remains questionable we should keep questioning the quality. Besides, I keep chipping my teeth on the whole meal, yet I keep eating, even though I'm not really hungry, so I guess I must like the taste overall.

Linius

What has HBO to do with that? If you'd ask me the best drama shows on TV at the moment are at TWD's very own AMC.

Knoxcore

I would tend to agree with you, but I still do like The Walking Dead and will continue to watch it. I don't have the game negative feelings as most people here.

I watch the same shows as you with the exception of Mad Men.

Breaking Bad Season 4 - probably the best season in television history.
Homeland Season 1
Dexter Season 1
The Walking Dead Season 3 Part 1
Game of Throne Season 1

That's how I'll rank the best seasons of each show.

As long as the quality remains questionable we should keep questioning the quality. Besides, I keep chipping my teeth on the whole meal, yet I keep eating, even though I'm not really hungry, so I guess I must like the taste overall.

At some point you just need to accept it for what it is. It's not HBO quality, and it never will be. But that's okay, it doesn't need to be. It's still miles better than the junk put on network TV.

What has HBO to do with that? If you'd ask me the best drama shows on TV at the moment are at TWD's very own AMC.

It's a generalization. HBO consistently has the best quality, at least in my opinion, both historically and currently. Sure, there are quality shows on AMC, Showtime, and even a few other networks, but HBO kind of sets the standard.

Both episodes also didn't have a large ensemble of characters to deal with, which is something the writers are clearly struggling with, so they were more focused. But I agree,
Lennie James is awesome.

The writing staff is really inconsistent. The arc for Daryl has been quite nice to watch unfold during these past three seasons; for me I'd like for them to do original characters here on out. You have Daryl on the one hand and then Andrea in the other, they've struggled to fully realize the "comic" version of Andrea in the show. I was waiting for her character's arc to payoff this season but was so horrible disappointed.

To a point I could see the allure that Woodbury had for Andrea. But after visiting the prison crew and learning about what happened with Glenn and Maggie and Michonne; I had a hard time seeing why she would return back to Woodbury. It made no sense. I wanted her to grab a sniper rifle and man a tower for the prison crew during the Governer's raid. What a letdown. Her death had no resonance in the finale.

Knoxcore

It's a generalization. HBO consistently has the best quality, at least in my opinion, both historically and currently. Sure, there are quality shows on AMC, Showtime, and even a few other networks, but HBO kind of sets the standard.

I'm curious what would be the standard today, if HBO sets the standard? Personally, my top three favorite shows today are not on HBO.

Linius

AMC left it's mark with Mad Men and Breaking Bad. Not sure why HBO would be the standard. It's clear that they had and still have a lot of good shows but other networks are making great stuff as well. FX is also very high up there for example.

Ripclawe

Banned
Was it just me, or did Carl tell that dude to drop his gun and instead he insisted on "handing it" to Carl, with the effing barrel pointing pretty damn close to Carl's face? I'd have shot him too. Hershel exaggerated.

Drop the gun doesn't mean come closer and not drop the gun. If the show was going for something other than Carl not shooting, they failed miserably
ibbby5GSp84hQV.gif

raindoc

Was it just me, or did Carl tell that dude to drop his gun and instead he insisted on "handing it" to Carl, with the effing barrel pointing pretty damn close to Carl's face? I'd have shot him too. Hershel exaggerated.

The way Hershel reacted makes me unsure of their intentions with that scene. The kid did look a bit shifty but was that intentional?

same here. kid would've made me feel uneasy too. i like to think that i'd have shouted at him repeatedly to put that gun on the ground, before pulling the trigger - but i definitely saw him as a threat and he did not really make a scared impression on me.
but with hershel's reaction and carl's overall behaviour (trying to be more badass than all the grown-ups) i'm not sure if "the kid" only showed bad acting skills and noone gave a fuck. (Possible Season 4 Spoiler:
meaning that the writer's are going for psycho-carl as an issue Rick has to deal with, something which IMHO has been indicated by Kirkman in interviews following the finale)

Gui_PT

Drop the gun doesn't mean come closer and not drop the gun. If the show was going for something other than Carl not shooting, they failed miserably
ibbby5GSp84hQV.gif

I feel the same way. Feels like the dude was trying to trick them,

But was he really or was the scene just poorly thought out?

Dunlop

They keep clearing out the zombies around the prison and each episode there are dozens more.

Is the prison at the bottom of a hill or something?

MisterHero

It's a shame they had months and that last scene was all they could change.

Milton should have tied himself up. Why the hell would he try to choke Andrea?*

*in before something about Andrea taking her sweet time

Hearing these details gives me a certain amount of hope for the new writer going into season 4.

Pros and cons of the Gimple version over the original version:

Pros:
* The beating scene at the beginning of the episode - nice how it's shot in first person, making you wonder if he's beating Andrea. And then once you see it's Milton, you start to empathize with him and fear what the Governor's going to do as the nature of their relationship has clearly changed... and then as it culminates with the Governor presenting him the ultimatum to kill Andrea or die, the tension is really high (much more than it would have been with the Gov simply shooting Milton out of nowhere). And it gave Milton a chance to actually try to attack the Governor - to grow some balls, so to speak.
* Having Michone, Rick, and Darryl (along with Tyreese) find Andrea - MUCH better than Tyreese randomly finding her. It allows for a more effective scene with the call-back to the "how to use the safety" on the gun moment, and for Michone to be there with Andrea in the end. Much better.

Cons:
* Andrea waiting so freakin long

So, given what he had to work with, I think he did a good job of improving the script.

Cheers to season 4.

I told you guys it was Gimple that did those scenes :p

He was trying to salvage Andrea's character before killing her, which is why they had all the "so what the fuck was going on in your head all season" chatter.

I told you guys it was Gimple that did those scenes :p

He was trying to salvage Andrea's character before killing her, which is why they had all the "so what the fuck was going on in your head all season" chatter.
I said it before but you're right on here. Gimple did a great job asking the questions the fans have been asking and using Milton to do it. He is listening to the fans.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Just finished the finale.

What the hell at that asshole in the woods. Glad to see other people thought he should have thrown the gun on the ground.

Carl is the absolute best. Even better than Daryl.

SickBoy

For what it's worth, it also beat the series finale of The Sopranos (HBO's highest rated show ever).

As far as I'm concerned, it seems inevitable that TWD will eventually transition into films.

Regarding the ratings PR, it's a shame that AMC seems to be doing whatever it can to keep the production of TWD as cheap as possible, while you don't get the sense HBO is in any way worried about skimping on costs with Game of Thrones.

It's hard not to get the sense that the show is a cash cow for AMC and they're doing whatever they can to keep it that way. That said, I have no understanding of the business side of their operations... so maybe HBO can better afford to splash out money for its series.

Yeah, I think the guy in the woods didn't do what he should've... but they needed to re-warn him. From Carl's description of the events to Rick, though, you know he knew it was wrong and that that's what they were trying to portray.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom