• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ - Season 3 - Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carl is a cold blooded killer now. He killed that other kid with that shotgun.

Carl is going to hit on Beth, she'll say they should "Just be friends", and then Carl is going to shoot her seventeen times with a glock he steals from Daryl's motorcycle. Then we're going to have a story arc of Rick hunting crazy Carl down in the forests which culminates in Rick tracking Carl down to the embers of their burnt home, where Morgan sees Rick reluctantly take out Carl and then he goes crazy, which forces Rick to take Morgan out as well.

This is known.

Did you just spoil the comic? Goddammit. At least you saved me some money.

I had some free time last night and was bored, so below is a list of posters who said they are done with this show (only looked at posts from the time the season finale ended):

I was surprised there wasn't more posters in the list. I guess it really was a case of the vocal minority making such a fuss. I'm interested to see how many show up in the season 4 thread. I would bet at least half of them do...

well isn't this petty.

people can change their minds and decide to tune in to see if the show is any better, especially since a new showrunner is coming in. One who pretty much had the only 2 episodes that can be considered objectively good in the latter half of the season.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Has this been posted yet?

Walking Dead Season 4 Scoop

TVLine has confirmed that the AMC smash has issued a Season 4 casting call for the series regular role of
“Roy Stark,” who’s described as a former army medic who is deeply haunted by his past — pre- and post-zombie apocalypse. As a result, he’s a bit of a loner, although he maintains a charming/self-deprecating/confident public face.

The part calls for an actor in his early 30s to mid 40s.

(comic)
Gabriel or Abraham???

I'm sure some comic reader dickbutt will make a successful "pretend" guess just to feel important.

It would super obvious what they were doing though.

LevelNth

Banned
well isn't this petty.

people can change their minds and decide to tune in to see if the show is any better, especially since a new showrunner is coming in. One who pretty much had the only 2 episodes that can be considered objectively good in the latter half of the season.
Or maybe it should be a lesson in hyperbolic nonsense that people here spew due to the incessant fondness towards negativity at GAF.

We ALL know those people will be back, and I'm betting most will do so just to KEEP complaining about the series.

I mean seriously, NUMEROUS people have actually stated one of, if not the most, disappointing aspect of the finale was the sound of a fucking shell casing hitting the ground... and it's STILL being discussed. I honestly cannot even fathom how someone can even care about something like that, let alone be upset/disappointed by it.

I mean seriously, NUMEROUS people have actually stated one of, if not the most, disappointing aspect of the finale was the sound of a fucking shell casing hitting the ground... and it's STILL being discussed. I honestly cannot even fathom how someone can even care about something like that, let alone be upset/disappointed by it.

I think if anyone seriously thinks that the shell is the most disappointing aspect of the finale (did anyone actually think this?), they're a bit foolish.

However, I think it's just as foolish to cast a blind eye over these sorts of things. At best, it was confusing. It seems more like a sloppy oversight, but I would need to rewatch it, to be sure.

You complain about hyperbole and then say this? I challenge you to find a single post that gives that impression. The shell thing is just a nitpick, not one of the main criticisms of the episode.

hey guys, new to the thread.. I was avoiding it because I hate spoilers and wanted to be careful.

The only comment I have on the story arc of this season is that I think they picked the wrong guy to play the Governor. He just didn't seem as evil as they wanted him to seem. Maybe it was his doughy face, I don't know. He just didnt seem that intimidating even when he was trying to do creepy evil shit.

What I was looking for was someone on the level of Isaak Serko in S7 of Dexter. That right there is a rounded evil motherfucker.

LevelNth

Banned
However, I think it's just as foolish to cast a blind eye over these sorts of things. At best, it was confusing. It seems more like a sloppy oversight, but I would need to rewatch it, to be sure.
Seriously? Seriously??

In what context does it affect the story? The characters? The setting? Not to mention, you can't see anything, so you're guessing based on it possibly sounding like something you've only heard in other TV/movies.

This is a perfect example of where GAF falls in love with its own bullshit to a borderline narcissistic degree. Tell me, what do you think the average viewer's reaction would be to someone saying:

"Hey, wasn't it such a total oversight and super confusing that after Andrea shot herself it sounded like a shell casing hit the ground, when clearly she used Rick's revolver which wouldn't expel a casing?!"

It is laughably absurd.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
What? The Governor was pretty slimy to me. Granted, I haven't read that arc in the comics yet (gotta start that tomorrow) but he seemed alright as an antagonist that keeps zombie heads in fishtanks and a zombie daughter to me.

What? The Governor was pretty slimy to me. Granted, I haven't read that arc in the comics yet (gotta start that tomorrow) but he seemed alright as an antagonist that keeps zombie heads in fishtanks and a zombie daughter to me.

maybe that's the difference. he is WAY eviler in the books, like not displayable on TV (probably even HBO). eviler is totally a word.

Seriously? Seriously??

In what context does it affect the story? The characters? The setting? Not to mention, you can't see anything, so you're guessing based on it possibly sounding like something you've only heard in other TV/movies.

This is a perfect example of where GAF falls in love with its own bullshit to a borderline narcissistic degree. Tell me, what do you think the average viewer's reaction would be to someone saying:

"Hey, wasn't it such a total oversight and super confusing that after Andrea shot herself it sounded like a shell casing hit the ground, when clearly she used Rick's revolver which wouldn't expel a casing?!"

It is laughably absurd.

Holy shit, calm down, guy.

Did I say it affected the overall sstory? I was simply stating, from a technical/craft point of view, the sound cue was confusing for that sequence of events. Sound is an integral part to our understanding of what's being presented.

Please also don't assume that I don't know what a shell falling to the ground/pavement sounds like in real life.

To use your own example of the "average viewer's reaction": as I stated before, several people in the room were confused by the way that scene was edited. Distinct "wait a second" looks were exchanged when that sound effect was used.

In the meantime: chill the fuck out. We're making criticisms of a show that has been criticized outside of GAF for part of this season. This isn't a GAF thing, so stop trying to dismiss everyone's criticism under the flimsy "LOL GAF" defense.

Shut up.

We don't want to give them any ideas. 10 episode arc with Carl trying to win Beth over. They have an awkward kiss and she finishes by saying 'Lets just be friends'.

No.
and he shoots her.

honestly when the Woodbury citizens were coming off the bus, I thought Carl was gonna start gunning them down, Governor style.

THAT would have been dark.

LevelNth

Banned
Holy shit, calm down, guy.

Did I say it affected the overall sstory? I was simply stating, from a technical/craft point of view, the sound cue was confusing for that sequence of events. Sound is an integral part to our understanding of what's being presented.

Please also don't assume that I don't know what a shell falling to the ground/pavement sounds like in real life.

To use your own example of the "average viewer's reaction": as I stated before, several people in the room were confused by the way that scene was edited. Distinct "wait a second" looks were exchanged when that sound effect was used.
Literally could not shake my head enough after reading all this. If you're hanging out with people who honestly feel this way and were so confused as to constitute a 'wait a second look' around the room, then clearly you are in your own element, one I could not even begin to comprehend.

In the meantime: chill the fuck out. We're making criticisms of a show that has been criticized outside of GAF for part of this season. This isn't a GAF thing, so stop trying to dismiss everyone's criticism under the flimsy "LOL GAF" defense.
Love how anonymous posters here are supposed to be free to harshly and often times nonsensically and childishly belittle, mock and criticize the hard work of hundreds of individuals who produced this show, but as soon as you turn that around you are 'dismissing' their opinion, cause all they are doing is providing criticism.

This is criticism on poster's criticisms here, and for some reason the harshness and callousness of language allowed by them to criticize the writers/producers/actors is not allowed by other posters to criticize them.

So excuse me if I don't revert back to 'LOL GAF'.

I agree, although its a travesty man. I liked her character in S1 and S2. they just wrote her to suck so they could more easily kill her off.

I kind of hated her from the start with all that macho bullshit. worst character on the show, well carl is getting up there and will probably be my next most hated character on the show, unless he changes quickly.

Literally could not shake my head enough after reading all this. If you're hanging out with people who honestly feel this way and were so confused as to constitute a 'wait a second look' around the room, then clearly you are in your own element, one I could not even begin to comprehend.

Love how anonymous posters here are supposed to be free to harshly and often times nonsensically and childishly belittle, mock and criticize the hard work of hundreds of individuals who produced this show, but as soon as you turn that around you are 'dismissing' their opinion, cause all they are doing is providing criticism.

Considering the majority of my friends are involved in various levels of video/audio production, yeah, I guess we are a part of an element you can't comprehend. That may make us biased, but there's no crime in appreciating good sound design or recognizing and criticizing bad sound design. Even if the majority accept these kinds of mistakes freely, it doesn't mean it can't be improved or pointed out.

However, as I stated the first time I comment on the sound effect, I'm not even certain of what I heard.

It's also possible to understand and appreciate the people who put hard work into this show, but that doesn't make the show immune to criticism. We praise teams when they put out great episodes, seasons, or series; why not criticize them when they do the opposite?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Beth is the only sympathetic character left on the show. Though, granted, because she's never on the show.

Forget what I said about Hershel; Carl needs to pistol-whip Beth for her god damned church singing. Just out of the blue. As soon as she opens her mouth, Carl approaches and bangs her in the face twice. Best moment in TWD history right there.

Make it so.

I kind of hated her from the start with all that macho bullshit. worst character on the show, well carl is getting up there and will probably be my next most hated character on the show, unless he changes quickly.

I sort of agree, but on a different level I think that Carl's character is realistic. I.e. he didn't have a chance to complete the growing up process before the apocalypse hit. He doesn't have as many past experiences as everyone else to shape him simply because his is very young. Being young also makes him moldable. What he learned in some of his most formative years is that you have to kill or you don't survive, and he didnt really have any mitigating experiences (as the other adults did) to temper that.

IMO Carl's character is a harbinger of the world to come - everyone will learn the lessons he's learned without the benefit of positive historical experiences.

Zabka

This is criticism on poster's criticisms here, and for some reason the harshness and callousness of language allowed by them to criticize the writers/producers/actors is not allowed by other posters to criticize them.

So excuse me if I don't revert back to 'LOL GAF'.

"Criticism on poster's criticisms" tend to be personal attacks, bias accusations, broad generalizations and persecution fantasies. Keeping a grudge list is probably the saddest thing of all.

Forget what I said about Hershel; Carl needs to pistol-whip Beth for her god damned church singing. Just out of the blue. As soon as she opens her mouth, Carl approaches and bangs her in the face twice. Best moment in TWD history right there.

Make it so.

That's sick, they're both underage.

beth > maggie

fuck y'all

Nope.
Beth's gonna die next season, Maggie will live on forever.

Chandler Riggs, the actor playing Carl is fast approaching puberty. As long as he is a character they will need to keep the pacing of the events of the show roughly 1:1 with real life.

This was the primary reason that Walt had to be written out of lost.

Good. Maybe he can fuck off and die already.

That's sick, they're both underage.

In the show, maybe, but in real life, she's 27.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
He's annoying, he always have the same faux-badass stoic face and stare, and he's a child. That's a recipe for slaughter.

He's a child who has spent the last 2 (?) years in the zombie apocalypse, watching his friends and family die one by one in the most gruesome ways imaginable. He's either going to be totally out of control hysterical/crazy or he's going to be stoic and keep it all bottled up. I'm glad the writers took him in the latter direction.

jonezer4

Was it just me, or did Carl tell that dude to drop his gun and instead he insisted on "handing it" to Carl, with the effing barrel pointing pretty damn close to Carl's face? I'd have shot him too. Hershel exaggerated.

Heh:

d38Mzxi.jpg

From Norman Reedus' twitter feed.

Was it just me, or did Carl tell that dude to drop his gun and instead he insisted on "handing it" to Carl, with the effing barrel pointing pretty damn close to Carl's face? I'd have shot him too. Hershel exaggerated.

The way Hershel reacted makes me unsure of their intentions with that scene. The kid did look a bit shifty but was that intentional?

It's a post-legal society bro!

Rick's gonna come to that realisation soon and Hershel won't be happy.

I think it's another case of weird editing or weird writing.
Either we were meant to assume the dude was just putting the gun down normally, and Carl overreacted and shot him.
Or, Carl thought he was taking too long like what was shown, but then why wouldn't he just say that to Rick? Instead, he basically agreed with Hershel that the kid was handing over his gun innocently, but he shot him anyway.

Snake

For a few seconds I actually thought the "kid" was going to try and pull something on Carl, maybe because he wasn't taking a smaller kid or an old man seriously. But even though the show failed to display the events the way they should have been done it's pretty clear that they meant for it to play out so that Herschel was right and that Carl didn't "need" to kill him.

I think it's another case of weird editing or weird writing.
Either we were meant to assume the dude was just putting the gun down normally, and Carl overreacted and shot him.
Or, Carl thought he was taking too long like what was shown, but then why wouldn't he just say that to Rick? Instead, he basically agreed with Hershel that the kid was handing over his gun innocently, but he shot him anyway.

Yeah, I thought the same thing. Why would the dude bother to shoot at Carl, with a pump shotgun, when two people have him lined up in their sights?

jonezer4

For a few seconds I actually thought the "kid" was going to try and pull something on Carl, maybe because he wasn't taking a smaller kid or an old man seriously. But even though the show failed to display the events the way they should have been done it's pretty clear that they meant for it to play out so that Herschel was right and that Carl didn't "need" to kill him.

Yeah, during the actual scene I was sure they were trying to make it a bit dubious, which I was perfectly okay with.

But afterward, they have Hershel make it sound black and white, like the kid gave up but Carl shot him anyway. Really just makes me hate Hershel more than anything, which I'm sure wasn't their intention.

Tom_Cody

AMC's ratings press release putting HBO on blast by comparing Game of Thrones to Talking Dead, lol
For what it's worth, it also beat the series finale of The Sopranos (HBO's highest rated show ever).

As far as I'm concerned, it seems inevitable that TWD will eventually transition into films.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom