• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ - Season 3 - Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

strobogo

Banned
Beth looks so much better when she's wearing less makeup/less glamorized in general.

Both of them look 100% better on the show than when they're doing media appearances. Going from Maggie on the show to the Talking Dead looked like a different person. So much make up on TTD.

Grisby

Heh:

d38Mzxi.jpg

From Norman Reedus' twitter feed.
Pretty good stuff.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I will be so pissed it if is revealed next season that the gunshot was Michonne and Andrea somehow lived. The ending was so weird.

She was bit. She was dead like Milton no matter what. Rick gave her his revolver which DOES NOT EJECT SHELLS. It was poorly sound-edited. She's dead. Dealwithit.gif and all that.

(FFS, some the mental gymnastics here for what should be a simple ending is getting ridiculous now)

hamchan

If there's one thing Gimple has shown this season it's that he understands how to make characters appealing to the audience.

He made Michonne much better in Clear by actually having her talking and showing some emotion.
He made Merle a badass in his final moments when before he was just a racist unlikable asshole.
He at least tried to redeem Andrea in the last ep, a hard job to do when she has been terrible all season.

Looking forward to season 4 with him at the helm.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Steven Yeun is on the newest "Girl on Guy" podcast (Aisha Tyler's podcast. Haven't listened to it yet, but TWD related, and the podcast is usually pretty decent.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
lol at Hershel's green foot and is Andrea wearing ricks shirt?

Ghost Lori is going to be pissed when she finds out Rick is having sleep overs with Ghost Andrea.

strobogo

Banned
She was bit. She was dead like Milton no matter what. Rick gave her his revolver which DOES NOT EJECT SHELLS. It was poorly sound-edited. She's dead. Dealwithit.gif and all that.

(FFS, some the mental gymnastics here for what should be a simple ending is getting ridiculous now)

I don't know if that's directed at me specifically, but I thought it was an odd ending since the last 6-7 episodes have all been about this big war and the war ends up being one scene that Glenn and Maggie handle on their own. And it happened half way through the episode AND Rick and Gov had a Missed Connections moment. Then Rick decides to take in a ton of people with limited food when the Gov would certainly be coming back to the prison sometime soon. And why didn't the Governor bring a lot more people with him? He was going for a full scale war, but he only took maybe 10 people. Ending with a peaceful, things are going to get better kind of thing when there was zero resolution to the brewing war seemed odd.

someday

Banned
Ok. Nothing wrong with that. But zero facial expressions in EVERY SCENE. Is he cosplaying or what. See if I had to shoot my mom in the face when I was 12, I'd have been anaconda Rick but 100x worse. To see a 12 yr old boy behave like a coldblooded hitman is dumb.

I actually think that Carl's "shutting down" emotions is more realistic for a 12 yr old. I lost a parent at that age and you don't go Rick, you go Carl. I think as a kid you just don't have the life experience to explode emotions all over the place like Rick did, you shut down.
Pretty good appearance on conan
http://teamcoco.com/video/conan-highlight-walking-dead-invades

aOCFXsN.jpg
bidKKor.jpg

these are some deep battle lines you're drawing, salsa

There is NO CONTEST. Maggie is 100x hotter.
I prefer brunettes over blondes, all day, err day.

DatDude

Banned
Okay so I think this was probably worse than Season 2.

It's a shame, because it started off strong, but then it seemed to just hype up this big battle in the finale (which made so many of the episodes week prior feel so much like pointless filler episodes), and in the end the battle fucking suck balls.

Don't know how the comics go, but damn. I was expecting something more than that. Felt incredibly unfulfilling, and just left a bitter taste in my mouth.

For a season that started off strong, it kept spiraling downwards.

I think as a show I'm starting to lose interest.

I mean, what's the point of this show? At first I was incredibly interested since they seemed to have a goal, to find some salvation, some hope in the form of cure. You always felt like you were watching them progress through the narrative.

Now it feels like the whole season was them about fighting with the governor, and that just bored the living shit out of me. Worse than season 2 even.

Also, one last negative point. That product placement fucking pisses me off. It ruins the immersion of the show to see this nice shiny toyota suv in every episode (or what make/model the car is), and what's worse is how in some episodes they would align them up in the jails lot and make it look some commercial. Disgusting, and just takes the believability out of the world.

Overall I'd give this season a generous 5/10. Will probably return for a few more episodes next season, but am preparing the lifejacket to abandon the boring sinking ship.

jediyoshi

Also, one last negative point. That product placement fucking pisses me off. It ruins the immersion of the show to see this nice shiny toyota suv in every episode (or what make/model the car is), and what's worse is how in some episodes they would align them up in the jails lot and make it look some commercial. Disgusting, and just takes the believability out of the world.

This is also why I avoid parking lots and public roads. I get confused for being in a movie.

DatDude

Banned
This is also why I avoid parking lots and public roads. I get confused for being in a movie.

My point being is that it's a very dirty, and scrowngy looking world.

You would expect a beat up pick up truck, or some car that kinda has a aged and dirty look.

All these cars just look straight off the store shelf, and they constantly do a camera focus on the car brand emblem. I mean it just takes me out of it.

I understand they need advertising money, but still, it just annoys me is all.

You would expect a beat up pick up truck, or some car that kinda has a aged and dirty look.

All these cars just look straight off the store shelf, and they constantly do a camera focus on the car brand emblem. I mean it just takes me out of it.

I never once thought about this and I never will. You must not enjoy series that much because there is product placement in every single one of them, with the exception of medieval themed series.

The worst thing about this whole show is that its just wasted potential. When its firing on all cylinders, you get true gems of episodes like where Rick and Michonne reconnect with that crazy guy. Rick and Michonne characters were demonstrated very strongly here, and the brutal act of driving past a screaming hitchhiker was perhaps my favourite moment of the show. When we returned back to the "formula" you get 3 or so episodes of needless plodding and ham-fisted drama that was apparently building to a war that consisted of two people firing shots and the other side running away.

I'm not done with the show, but I really need to know there was a long gameplan here. But the way its going honestly, its shit.

How is the compendium for the graphic novels? A thousand pages in paperback seems rather unwieldy compared to the hardcover collections of three-hundred or so pages. I realize the value in the compendium, but do the size and weight make it a cumbersome read?

How is the compendium for the graphic novels? A thousand pages in paperback seems rather unwieldy compared to the hardcover collections of three-hundred or so pages. I realize the value in the compendium, but do the size and weight make it a cumbersome read?

I didn't think it was too bad but I read it a long time ago so probably just forgetting. I don't think you'll be holding it like a normal book though, placing it in your lap or on a table

Alpende

Holding the compendiums up and reading them is a work out. They're thick as a brick but still a good read though. You keep turning them pages.

Sec0nd

I see you have not seen Fringe. I've got to be honest, I didn't even notice ANY product placement in TWD. Might be just me though. Care to share a screen grab? I'm genuinely interested as to how I might have missed it lol.

Kozak

Banned

Why?

The Walkers don't beat up on the cars.

If they chose to drive beat up pick up trucks it would really take me away from the show.. I hate it when in disaster situations the heroes always seem to choose the absolute worst form of transport.

TWD is a nice breath of fresh air. Remember Glen in the sports car? Thats what I would be driving if I was in a Zombie Apocalypse. Gotta go fast.

Alpende

I see you have not seen Fringe. I've got to be honest, I didn't even notice ANY product placement in TWD. Might be just me though. Care to share a screen grab? I'm genuinely interested as to how I might have missed it lol.

I never notice it either except for their car. That's quite obvious.

All the gov's troops were armed during the (pathetic) prison raid right? Where did their guns go after gov' mowed all of them down? If they were there, why not salvage them? And why not salvage the trucks?

Sec0nd

I never notice it either except for their car. That's quite obvious.

Yeah I've noticed that car but not in a 'Oh damn you product placement' but more in a 'I maybe would've used a different car' way. Didn't really bother me and never occurred to me that it was product placement. Way more subtle than they did in Fringe which was hilarious.

Tom_Cody

Question: Was Randall (the captive from the second half of season 2) ever explicitly linked to Woodbury? This would make perfect sense based on his description of his group he had come from but I don't remember it ever being brought up in Season 3.

I don't blame Carl for shooting that guy. You're told to put down a gun, you stay in one spot and put that gun down. You don't hold it up and out and start creeping towards the guy drawn on you.

Bad editing, writing or....?

Kinyou

I don't blame Carl for shooting that guy. You're told to put down a gun, you stay in one spot and put that gun down. You don't hold it up and out and start creeping towards the guy drawn on you.

I think during Rick's talk with Carl it was made pretty clear that he shot him because the guy was one of the bad guys, not because he made some suspicious moves.

Kind of weird that they didn't make this more clear in the actual scene and have the guy actually drop the gun..

bbdude

I think during Rick's talk with Carl it was made pretty clear that he shot him because the guy was one of the bad guys, not because he made some suspicious moves.

Kind of weird that they didn't make this more clear in the actual scene and have the guy actually drop the gun..

I get the vibe that they are really pushing an "anything can happen in this world now" feel... like they want us to feel this conflicted

Tom_Cody

I find the comments about that scene to be very strange. It was clearly intentionally edited to make the validity of his decision ambiguous.

If the kid had been younger and/or he had directly dropped the gun it would be a no brainer that Carl should not have shot him.

If the kid had been older and/or he had motioned to fire at them (or was even was aiming the gun directly at them) them it would make his action completely understandable.

The director/editor clearly wanted the audience to debate this issue themselves. The clear intention was ambiguity.
I get the vibe that they are really pushing an "anything can happen in this world now" feel... like they want us to feel this conflicted
Right.

ohNOitsRO

What I hated about the finale was how Hershel fucking sensationalized the story to Rick about Carl

"HE GUNNED HIM DOWN, RICK"

"HIS GUN WAS ON THE FLOOR RICK, HE WAS BEGGING FOR HIS LIFE, BEGGING NOT TO GET SHOT RICK"

Stop Hershel - STAHP; or Carl will show you what it means to be gunned down

MisterHero

They can still fix the finale and set up Season 4 if they want to.

Just make the episode a dream Andrea had while she was in the torture room. The dream plays out several observations Andrea made in previous episodes.

-Carl and his group are constantly trapped in horrendous situations. He becomes a psychopath to cope. Andrea has to be there so Carl isn't forced to make so many shitty choices.
-Governor got away, which is worse than him being dead. Since it was a dream, it didn't matter how lame the prison battle was, only the outcomes mattered.
-Andrea died because she wouldn't leave Woodbury. This is the realization she needed.

Then she wakes up, finds Rick's gunbag and shoots her way out of Woodbury. The Governor goes crazy over her escaping that he stays to fight the prison rather than chasing the others. Maybe he kidnaps Hershel and the kids if he has to flee.

Hey, Dallas did it and everyone loves Dallas.

Tom_Cody

Question: Was Randall (the captive from the second half of season 2) ever explicitly linked to Woodbury? This would make perfect sense based on his description of his group he had come from but I don't remember it ever being brought up in Season 3.
Anyone?

MisterHero

Randall said he came from a group of ~30 people. 8 months later, Woodbury is around 70 people. It's possible but I don't think they ever implied it.

Also: the guys in the bar claimed to travel a lot, so it doesn't sound like they were in one place all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom