• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it safe to go outside during a Solar Eclipse? [Up: OP survived!!!! :D]

TalonJH

When half the earth population is disintegrated, I'll calmly turn to my family's ashes and say, "...Mysterious' dad knew...." before being blown away in a cloud of smoke and ash.

It won't really be dark most places though right?
Depends on where you live.

AudioNoir

Banned
My coworker closed all the blinds in our office. The sun doesn't even pass by our side of the building.

I asked her if she thought the sun might decide to change course today, and she said "you never know".

fyi she's completely serious

giphy.gif

soqquatto

For most inhabitants of the United States, the partial eclipse will be the main event. And there the period during which the incautious may expose themselves to retinal damage.

what is your point? I'm talking about the total eclipse duration. I'm not suggesting anyone should look at the sun without taking the necessary precautions.

AN ECLIPSE EVENT WILL BEGIN IN YOUR CURRENT LOCATION IN APPROXIMATELY 3 HOURS. REMAIN CALM AND FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS. REMAIN IN YOUR HOME FOR THE DURATION OF THE ECLIPSE. ENSURE ALL WINDOWS AND MIRRORS ARE COVERED. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO VIEW OR RECORD THE ECLIPSE. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CONTACT ANYBODY FOR THE DURATION OF THE ECLIPSE. ENSURE YOU HAVE A BATTERY POWERED RADIO AS YOUR POWER SUPPLY MAY BE DISRUPTED. REMAIN IN YOUR HOME UNTIL THE ALL CLEAR SIGNAL IS GIVEN. THIS MESSAGE WILL REPEAT FOR AS LONG AS IT IS ABLE.

JC Lately

Well, you will be without your fire bending for the duration, that is a legit concern. Those water tribe peasants have been getting uppity lately and may try to take advantage.

Seriously though, you're going to be fine. I'll don't know why everyone's acting like this eclipse is the goddamn Purge or something. It's a giant space rock passing in front of a giant space fire. You'll be OK

There is a total solar eclipse somewhere on Earth every 18 months. If there was anything unsafe about them you would have heard about it. Just don’t look at the sun unless you have special eclipse glasses and you’ll be fine.

Kimawolf

Yeah some weird shit will happen for sure. I have an employee who thinks the Purge will happen. Another who thinks this is the best time to find Bigfoot. My own sister is a "witch" and will be doing "witch shit ".

JC Lately

Yeah some weird shit will happen for sure. I have an employee who thinks the Purge will happen. Another who thinks this is the best time to find Bigfoot. My own sister is a "witch" and will be doing "witch shit ".

As a (admittedly shitty, non-practicing) Wiccan myself, this makes sense given the Moon's significance in the Craft.

She ain't going to be summoning Cthulu or some shit. It's basically super-prayer.

danowat

Banned

I'm intrigued as to what "Witch Shit" entails.

Kimawolf

As a (admittedly shitty, non-practicing) Wiccan myself, this makes sense given the Moon's significance in the Craft.

She ain't going to be summoning Cthulu or some shit. It's basically super-prayer.
Yeah but I would rather not chance it. So i told her to be careful.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I was in Tunisia during the 1997(?) eclipse, where it was totality back home and it was about 25% over there.

Seemingly everyone in the country stayed at home indoors that day. The maid who had cleaned our hotel didn't attend work, which was shit because we wanted to give her a big tip, there were changes to who would take us back to the airport, and the roads were dead quiet.

Some people are terrified by such a big celestial event, regardless of the science behind it.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
What is this "Purge" that people keep talking about? Is it some bible shit? If that's what it is, it wouldn't surprise me...it's made even more hilarious considering the eclipse is not going to be visible all around the globe, yet, somehow, this "Purge" will affect everybody? Did I get that right?

Kimawolf

What is this "Purge" that people keep talking about? Is it some bible shit? If that's what it is, it wouldn't surprise me...it's made even more hilarious considering the eclipse is not going to be visible around the globe, yet, somehow, this "Purge" will affect everybody?
The movie The purge. Where people wear weird masks and go pn killing/murder sprees.

VanWinkle

I do actually have an ignorant question. Is it MORE dangerous to catch a glimpse of the sun during the eclipse than it is during any other time? For one thing, I'm afraid that my curiosity will make me look up for a second without me even thinking about it. And for another, I will be driving to work at peak hours and I'm slightly worried that I will be driving and at one point get into the path of the sun.

I know about the movie, but what does this have to do with an eclipse? Are people seriously expecting that other people will go batshit murderous because of an eclipse for no reason?

idk? we got people who think you cant go outside during one. People are weird.

OP, it is going to be incredibly dark and since there are no stars in the sky, you won't be able to see a damn thing. Carry a flashlight and stay woke. Don't be driving either. Traffic lights won't be working and it will be dangerous. I wouldn't take that risk.

I do actually have an ignorant question. Is it MORE dangerous to catch a glimpse of the sun during the eclipse than it is during any other time? For one thing, I'm afraid that my curiosity will make me look up for a second without me even thinking about it. And for another, I will be driving to work at peak hours and I'm slightly worried that I will be driving and at one point get into the path of the sun.
It’s no more or less dangerous to look at the sun during a partial eclipse than it normally is.

People are laughing off the danger thinking “I’ve looked at the sun before, it’s not a big deal” but if you still have functional vision then at best you have caught brief glances of the sun for less than a second. Not anything like staring directly at it trying to appreciate the eclipse.

Nowise10

Its super cloudy outside in Minnesota right now, like you can't see the sky.Does that mean its going to get incredibly dark for a couple hours?

If so, thats still pretty neat

adj_noun

it Iiiisszzzz........safeeeee.....

come......OUt........houwsssssssss

you.....be.....FINeeeeeeee.......

dUring....ecLIPszzzzz.....

we.....WAiiiitiiiinnnnggggggg......

Kimawolf

Your eyes don't feel pain. What you feel when you look at the sun is your pupils constricting to let in less light. During a eclispe your eyes won't dilate and the sunlight will flow in freely and burn your retinas. Or something like that.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Does Gaf actively have an age minimum? I feel like we are getting a lot of 12 year old questions lately.

VanWinkle

It’s no more or less dangerous to look at the sun during a partial eclipse than it normally is.

People are laughing off the danger thinking “I’ve looked at the sun before, it’s not a big deal” but if you still have functional vision then at best you have caught brief glances of the sun for less than a second. Not anything like staring directly at it trying to appreciate the eclipse.

Your eyes don't feel pain. What you feel when you look at the sun is your pupils constricting to let in less light. During a eclispe your eyes won't dilate and the sunlight will flow in freely and burn your retinas. Or something like that.

Thanks, guys. I will avoid it to the best of my abilities. I'm thinking that the sun will be too high up in the sky for me to worry about it while driving anyway.

That's what people mean by "I've looked at the sun before" though...

Top Bottom