• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - Atlas Rises |OT| Nada, Polo and you no longer fly solo

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Tempted to actually go home and play for an hour over my lunch break XD Have a 1:00 meeting though bleh.
Anyone have a favorite craft? Seems like the Rover is the best bang for the buck.
Seems like there are legit benefits to each. I'm particularly interested in the Rover now for the ability to cruise around on seafloors at a reasonable clip. The Colossus will probably be the most beneficial to my planetary surveying though, for long excursions collecting everything I can.
Yeah, they could probably drop it to $30 or $40, add a bunch of cosmetic stuff as MTs (base furniture, character models, ship decals, etc) and turn it into an evergreen type of game.
I really hope they hold off as long as possible on any kind of premium purchases, MTs or paid DLC, but those would be the right way to do it eventually yeah.

Mr Git

I went to buy a new ship and after transferring all my stuff I went into the technologies section and started dismantling the things. Realised that I could dismantle them and the parts would appear but the technologies stayed. Could just keep dismantling. Filled my new ship inventory with bonus nickel, emeril, chrysonite etc. Cheeky.

Lamptramp

Yeah the reason for the base move is that cactus takes forever to grow. Like ~2 hrs I think I've seen quoted (haven't tried myself) so if you aren't aggressive or don't care about it taking that kind of time, you could totally just plant cactus and go back and do a bit every 2 hrs.

I just really, really want that gd freighter =)

Understood, makes sense. Cheers again!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I went to buy a new ship and after transferring all my stuff I went into the technologies section and started dismantling the things. Realised that I could dismantle them and the parts would appear but the technologies stayed. Could just keep dismantling. Filled my new ship inventory with bonus nickel, emeril, chrysonite etc. Cheeky.
Crazy that they didn't fix that yet. Naughty exploits! xD

Mr Git

Crazy that they didn't fix that yet. Naughty exploits! xD

Oh it's a known one? First time I'd seen it. I very nearly didn't buy the ship as it was gonna be a ballache rebuilding all of my technologies again xD Farming is ace and pretty successful. My last ship cost about 2mil and took forever to get that money. New one cost 16mil and I've made that pretty quickly.

mokeyjoe

Tempted to actually go home and play for an hour over my lunch break XD Have a 1:00 meeting though bleh.

Seems like there are legit benefits to each. I'm particularly interested in the Rover now for the ability to cruise around on seafloors at a reasonable clip. The Colossus will probably be the most beneficial to my planetary surveying though, for long excursions collecting everything I can.

I really hope they hold off as long as possible on any kind of premium purchases, MTs or paid DLC, but those would be the right way to do it eventually yeah.

It's actually a well-balanced trio. I find the Roamer most fun through.

The Colossus is dull as hell to drive, but for a dedicated mining excursion that inventory is great.

The Nomad is the best for water worlds. Nipping around between islands is awesome. And you can even shoot Rigogen, er, Kelp Sacs, from the surface.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It's actually a well-balanced trio. I find the Roamer most fun through.
Right, roamer not rover haha. Does look like a blast.

The Nomad is the best for water worlds. Nipping around between islands is awesome. And you can even shoot Rigogen, er, Kelp Sacs, from the surface.
Awesome protip. I gotta get out of the system I'm in, it hasn't seen a drop of water in millennia..

Think I hit a wall.

I'm at the part of the Awakening's quest line where I'm...
supposed to Use the Galaxy Map to Seek out the Traveler (comes right after the Mind Arc stuff and putting Artemis in the Simulation thingy). Originally it told me to find glyphs for a planet, but it's not showing me WHICH planet. I went back to my home base and found a portal near there and activated it and got the glyph for it. But, now what? There is no marker on my HUD for the questline on my planet and when I use the Galaxy Map, there is no marker on any other planets. There was a green Warp Path to follow for the "Current Quest" designation, which I followed all the way, but it stopped at a system that was not marked with anything quest related.

I scanned the system from space and then landed on each planet there and scanned them again, but nothing is popping up.

I don't know that to do? The quest just keeps showing "Open the Galaxy Map to find the Traveler". But there is nothing being marked for me on the map or any systems planets I go to and scan. And I don't have any glyphs to enter into the portal to travel anywhere.

I also checked the Transporter in my base to see if any of the space stations are marked with (Quest System) but none of them are.

Help! I think the quest line might be bugged.

BTW - I completed all the Base-Related Quests. So that's not holding me back.

-Thanks.

When you break down a part from an old ship does that give you enough resources to rebuild it in the new ship? Ive held off upgrading for a long time because I'm afraid of the extra work I think I'm going to have to do. Mostly concerned about the extra warp reactors.

E92 M3

Yeah the reason for the base move is that cactus takes forever to grow. Like ~2 hrs I think I've seen quoted (haven't tried myself) so if you aren't aggressive or don't care about it taking that kind of time, you could totally just plant cactus and go back and do a bit every 2 hrs.

I just really, really want that gd freighter =)

I wanted to like them all a lot more than i did. The big one has a mining laser that's slower than my pistol one =( I was all excited to take my big mining truck around and excavate, but it seems super inefficient.

I like the hover one for just getting around quickly and farming

That's a good point - the hover craft is very snappy.

I think they just need to make them cheaper to produce. Or you only have to build once and it's always accessible - like the ship.

Would improve QoL a lot.

somme

I think they just need to make them cheaper to produce.
Would improve QoL a lot.

They're already pretty cheap. Just make sure you always carry some dynamic resonators. Heridium is really common and Marrow Bulb is everywhere as well.

Mindlog

Refining my own setup with this info. Sounds like a plan.
My freighter has a massive Mordite farm along with some incidental plants. I could possibly set the ratio that my freighter farm is so large it supplies me with enough Mordite without fueling the trays. - Mordite ✅
Fungus Mold on a toxic world -Fungus ✅
That means all I would need is 8 Cacti per 12 Fungus. And a vault. That's easy. -Cacti ✅

Bonus: This setup lets me run missions and explore while waiting for Fungus to bloom. Also I need to spend a lot of time on a radioactive planet collecting Gamma Root because I have ~100 Glass sitting around not earning me money.

Pretty sure I found my final setup.

Refining my own setup with this info. Sounds like a plan.
My freighter has a massive Mordite farm along with some incidental plants. I could possibly set the ratio that my freighter farm is so large it supplies me with enough Mordite without fueling the trays. - Mordite ✅
Fungus Mold on a toxic world -Fungus ✅
That means all I would need is 8 Cacti per 12 Fungus. And a vault. That's easy. -Cacti ✅

Bonus: This setup lets me run missions and explore while waiting for Fungus to bloom. Also I need to spend a lot of time on a radioactive planet collecting Gamma Root because I have ~100 Glass sitting around not earning me money.

Pretty sure I found my final setup.

Yeah this is like my V2 setup, once I actually get my freighter. Just get farms setup so I can sell like 5-10 explosives every few hours. That's still considerable income.

E92 M3

They're already pretty cheap. Just make sure you always carry some dynamic resonators. Heridium is really common and Marrow Bulb is everywhere as well.

I guess I'm just very cheap :p

Also, I hate that farming is the best way to make the big bucks.

Unicorn

Listening to Austin Walker on Waypoint glow about NMS and what lays in front of the team has me excited and hopeful the devs take this opportunity to really make NMS a long-supported game a la minecraft. It has started to really scratch those itches, but has hints and roots placed for expansion into an elder scrolls experience. Like the race and faction standing - what if those factions had their own branching stories. Races that had guild affiliations so we have a vykeen that is actually driven by market or exploration and not just aggression. The space for procedural + emergent storytelling is widely underutilized.

Austin Walker talked of this as proof of concept for a future game, but I really hope this is proof of concept for the future of NMS instead. I'm sick of sequel culture and with prevalence and acceptance of early access and continually developed games I believe there's space and time for NMS to span a generation of gamers the way Minecraft has and continues to. The rough first year has faded and will continue to only become an out-of-date gripe compared to the package of whatever the current version is for new players.

I guess I'm just very cheap :p

Also, I hate that farming is the best way to make the big bucks.

I hate this too. I wish there was a diff system to min max, like mining, but it's nowhere near as profitable/scalable at the top end.

Would be awesome if the AMUs were way more effective and had huge capacity and you could cruise around collecting them wherever you left them or w/e. Or even if they dumped back to your base automatically somehow?

Idk, but yeah, with you, farming isn't amazing...

Is there a possibility that the online part of the game could interfere with the game and cause lagging? Because yesterday low flight would just rubber band my ship everywhere and the UI was laggy. Today, nothing?

And it's funny, the new controls kind of work...because they match the already slow reaction speed :D

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
...but I really hope this is proof of concept for the future of NMS instead. I'm sick of sequel culture and with prevalence and acceptance of early access and continually developed games I believe there's space and time for NMS to span a generation of gamers the way Minecraft has and continues to. The rough first year has faded and will continue to only become an out-of-date gripe compared to the package of whatever the current version is for new players.
Thumbs up, that's the way I'd like to see things play out as well.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
I'm stuck in my ship! :/

Landed on a rotting planet only to notice extreme toxicity on leaving my ship, not too bad but could only survive an approx 2 minutes out in the open, prepare myself for refueling in quick 1 minute bursts around the ship.

Then the warning comes, extreme weather / storm incoming.

Holy fucking moly, toxicity tramps up to extreme levels, analysis visor estimates time of survival... 19 seconds.... quickly get back in ship.

That was about 40 minutes ago, It's still stormy, I aint going anywhere and I feel like Riddick. :p

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
What's the most ambitious anyone has gotten with the terrain editor tool? I've only played with it a bit. Made some ramps to get the roamer out of some difficult pitfalls. Was wondering how effective it might be at creating a "zoo" for fauna.

NotSelf

What's the most ambitious anyone has gotten with the terrain editor tool? I've only played with it a bit. Made some ramps to get the roamer out of some difficult pitfalls. Was wondering how effective it might be at creating a "zoo" for fauna.

Ya I have yet to see anything very intricate I tried to build a small house or hut but found it to difficult to use and gave up.

Is there a possibility that the online part of the game could interfere with the game and cause lagging? Because yesterday low flight would just rubber band my ship everywhere and the UI was laggy. Today, nothing?

And it's funny, the new controls kind of work...because they match the already slow reaction speed :D

Were you around other players when it was rubberbanding? I've never seen that personally.The UI being laggy is just a performance issue. I've had it since 1.30 on PS4.

Not sure what you mean by "slow reaction speed"? My fighter with the 1.3 flight model (before the 1.33 patch) felt extremely responsive and maneuverable. It finally felt good to fly around. It only needed some minor tweaks for dogfighting.

They've completely ruined the flight handling IMO. It's worse than it ever has been, as not only is there now tons of input lag, but the handling is also almost uncontrollable, especially under boost. It's like they changed some numbers in the code and didn't even bother to test it.

Think I hit a wall.

I'm at the part of the Awakening's quest line where I'm...
supposed to Use the Galaxy Map to Seek out the Traveler (comes right after the Mind Arc stuff and putting Artemis in the Simulation thingy). Originally it told me to find glyphs for a planet, but it's not showing me WHICH planet. I went back to my home base and found a portal near there and activated it and got the glyph for it. But, now what? There is no marker on my HUD for the questline on my planet and when I use the Galaxy Map, there is no marker on any other planets. There was a green Warp Path to follow for the "Current Quest" designation, which I followed all the way, but it stopped at a system that was not marked with anything quest related.

I scanned the system from space and then landed on each planet there and scanned them again, but nothing is popping up.

I don't know that to do? The quest just keeps showing "Open the Galaxy Map to find the Traveler". But there is nothing being marked for me on the map or any systems planets I go to and scan. And I don't have any glyphs to enter into the portal to travel anywhere.

I also checked the Transporter in my base to see if any of the space stations are marked with (Quest System) but none of them are.

Help! I think the quest line might be bugged.

BTW - I completed all the Base-Related Quests. So that's not holding me back.

-Thanks.

This is how the questline is supposed to be going:
- Talk to Nada and put Artemis into the Korvax simulation terminal
- Talk to Nada after you've put Artemis into the simulation (might not be mandatory?)
- When you fly out of the anomaly ship and into space, you get a comms request from Apollo (blue light blinking in your ship's HUD, activate comms with the quick menu etc.)
- After talking to Apollo, you get the quest "The First Traveler - Use a Monolith to learn the location of a Portal" and get a quest marker for a Monolith location (orange hexagon with white exclamation mark)
- After interacting with the Monolith, choose the "Locate a Portal" option, which gives you a new quest marker with the location of a Portal
- As you arrive at the portal, you get the quest "Charge the Portal Glyphs", so charge all 12 glyphs with the various required elements
- Choose the "Request this planet's address" choice by interacting with the portal and you'll get a string of 12 glyphs at the top of the screen which signifies the address of the planet you're on
- You automatically get a quest to contact Apollo at a Holo-Terminus
- Fly to the Holo-Terminus and Apollo asks if you've found the glyphs for your world (say that you have)

Are you sure that's exactly what the quest name is now,
"Open the Galaxy Map to find the Traveler"
? It sounds like you either
haven't gotten the quest marker to a Monolith or you didn't notice it and jumped back to your home base (which was in another system?) Maybe if you jump back to the system you got the quest in, the story would continue (which is a big problem if you don't know where it was, and the game certainly doesn't give you the tools to help you out with that).

But anyway, after you've charged all 12 of the portal glyphs and gotten the unique 12 glyph address for the plane you're on, you should automatically get the quest to contact Apollo at a Holo-Terminus, with a quest marker guiding you to a Holo-Terminus tower. At least managing to find a Holo-Terminus might help out, but you don't have any ways of finding them except when a quest marker is generated by the storyline. Maybe try loading a previous save?

OuterLimits

Only thing really bothering me so far is that landing gear thirst for Plutonium. 3-4 take offs and landings and this thing is empty.

Give me an expensive as shit upgrade which seriously reduces the need for Pu and i will farm days for it.

On Survival, it uses 100% each time.

However, this recent update made it easier even on Survival since you can buy a ton of Plutonium now at Space Stations.

Before the update, I was mainly landing at beacons and launch pads since they don't use any plutonium.

New Experimental patch on Steam:
Fixed an issue where large numbers of portal visits would be added to the player's save, greatly increasing its size and impeding the ability to save the game
Prevented the terrain editor draining in charge when editing empty voxels
Prevented the user being able to edit terrain outside their base radius for free while standing inside their base
Fixed responses made to Artemis and Apollo at times being incorrectly tracked
Prevented the player being blocked from progressing if they decline to enter glyphs into a particular story portal
Fixed instances where Atlas text was appearing as though it came from an NPC
Fixed FoV in photo mode showing degrees as a temperature
Allowed discovery screen to show images from a larger number of visited waypoints
Added a placeholder image in cases where a waypoint image is not available
Allowed scrolling of names on the discovery page which are too long to be displayed
Fixed an graphical issue where a blur effect would be applied while teleporting
Improved prioritisiation of systems you have teleported from when listing your most recent teleport locations
Altered teleporters in space stations to allow you to teleport directly to other stations as well as to your base
Improved ordering of icons on the galactic map to more correctly indicate missions and system information
Increased maximum number of paths which can be rendered in the galactic map
Improved appearance of the message displayed when player's starship is out of range
Fixed warning symbol on broken tech rendering too small
Fixed bug where players were not always being correctly awarded glyphs
Fixed issue in tutorial messaging when the player repaired their pulse drive but nothing else before entering their ship
Added the amount of units you will earn for a discovery to the binocular UI
Added correct emotion anims for various interactions with NPCs

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
While the 1.33 added the d-pad control of switching between different types of storage, it doesn't allow you to move items using it. Hopefully that gets patched in.

New Experimental patch on Steam:
Fixed responses made to Artemis and Apollo at times being incorrectly tracked
Good. This got wonky on mine,
I chose not to tell Artemis about the simulation, but the game briefly acted as if I had.
Nifty.

Diablos54

So I played this for 10 or so hours back when it was released. Thinking I might jump back in and start over. I hear a lot has changed so any tips?

Minamu

I've got a big old hauler so I'd expect the handling to be sluggish, especially on a planet with an atmosphere.
My Hauler B class is much more nimble than a A class Fighter :lol with Explorer C class being the best.

Only thing really bothering me so far is that landing gear thirst for Plutonium. 3-4 take offs and landings and this thing is empty.

Give me an expensive as shit upgrade which seriously reduces the need for Pu and i will farm days for it.
YES!! This would be kingly. I guess it goes against the whole idea of the game but minimizing the grind and mining is the most wanted thing for me :lol

While the 1.33 added the d-pad control of switching between different types of storage, it doesn't allow you to move items using it. Hopefully that gets patched in.
You can though? Mark your item of choice to prepare the move as usual, hover either on an already empty slot in your main inventory, or way outside the inventory area altogether, then press left, NOT right, and you'll go directly to Cargo, when you can point to a slot of your choice and move the item.

How was it before? My idea of how bases should work in the prelaunch times was that lol.
You could only return home to your base before.

Lamptramp

So I played this for 10 or so hours back when it was released. Thinking I might jump back in and start over. I hear a lot has changed so any tips?

If you've only played 10 hours I'd definitely recommend starting from scratch, I'd just do whatever takes your fancy and go from there. I played vanilla and didnt really touch 1.1 & 1.2 so I started from scratch and started with finding a nice planet in a starter system and going through the base building and new "Awakenings" quest, now I'm settling to explore/farm.

Also I finally ended up in a system that was already discovered by someone... If anyone here is Striband, I'm on your worlds touching your fauna :p

How was it before? My idea of how bases should work in the prelaunch times was that lol.

You couldn't teleport from a space station to another space station before. Now you can.

Added correct emotion anims for various interactions with NPCs

This is a good fix also. I noticed that the NPCs will do the "happy" animation no matter what mood they're in.

daxy

Encountered another progress-breaking bug. I traveled to the Atlas interface marked on my map but the when I go to interact with it, no dialog options show up. Apparently this has been plaguing the game since 1.3 and hasn't been resolved yet. Fun!

edit: see below for my solution to this

catilio

Encountered another progress-breaking bug. I traveled to the Atlas interface marked on my map but the when I go to interact with it, no dialog options show up. Apparently this has been plaguing the game since 1.3 and hasn't been resolved yet. Fun!

I believe some other players have encounter this. They say that if you go to the next Atlas interface, this time it works.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
You can though? Mark your item of choice to prepare the move as usual, hover either on an already empty slot in your main inventory, or way outside the inventory area altogether, then press left, NOT right, and you'll go directly to Cargo, when you can point to a slot of your choice and move the item.
Oh, cool. I guess I was pressing right and going through the tech section, and that doesn't work.

Donos

On Survival, it uses 100% each time.

However, this recent update made it easier even on Survival since you can buy a ton of Plutonium now at Space Stations.

Before the update, I was mainly landing at beacons and launch pads since they don't use any plutonium.

Oh boy. F that! Survival is out as option forever. aintnobodygottimeforthat.gif

daxy

I believe some other players have encounter this. They say that if you go to the next Atlas interface, this time it works.

Someone on Reddit posted that this causes you to miss an Atlas seed blueprint--can neither confirm or deny that this is true from personal experience. Why I think what you suggested has worked for some other players is that it's possible they located an Atlas station by having talked to Nada and Pollo.

I managed to get the Atlas interface to speak to me just now.

What did not work: exiting and entering the Atlas station, reloading my save and warping to the system again, reloading my save and making sure I had the Atlas quest highlighted in my quest log when I entered the interface (however, this is an important indicator as explained below).

What solved it: I reloaded a save from before I went to the system with the Atlas station. I noticed that in my quest log for the Atlas path it said that I was free to explore the galaxy. I thought this was strange, because usually it says something about recovering Atlas seeds. I've been exploring in the vicinity of a system that had Nada and Pollo's ship and I'm pretty sure I boarded it at some point to get stuff from them--I distinctly recall asking Nada for help exploring the galaxy. Perhaps I reloaded the save though, because I also remember getting a blueprint for an exosuit upgrade I already had. Whether I talked to Nada already or not, that system was still highlighted in the galaxy map, indicating their presence. I went back to Nada and Pollo's ship and this time I asked Nada for help locating an Atlas interface. Lo and behold, it pointed me to the exact same interface that was already on my map. Prior to travelling there, I made sure to have the Atlas quest highlighted in my quest log. Upon arriving in the system, an indicator from the Atlas quest hovered over the entrance to the Atlas station. This appears to be a key indicator to the interface working, because when I finally got in the interface actually spoke. So, if you arrive at a system with an Atlas station, select the Atlas quest, and there is no _quest marker_ over the station (i.e. it shows the standard red/black Atlas symbol instead of the red diamond-shaped quest marker), the questline probably bugged out and you should to visit Nada and Pollo to get it to work again.

I'm not sure if this happened in the first place because I had asked Nada for help in exploring the galaxy before this. I have a feeling this might be the case since my Atlas quest description said that I should just explore the galaxy (instead of recovering seeds). If that was the case, then I was able to return to Nada and ask for help in finding an Atlas station anyway. If not, then your best shot seems to be to find the two again and ask Nada to point you to an Atlas station.

Unicorn

I'm on the latest experimental Steam patch, but my questline is borked and has been since the update.

For a while I just ignored it, but today I had a gap of a few hours and focused on trying to attain it.

My freighter was an old one and thus did not have a hyperdrive. Spent some time cleaning out my entire nipnip farm there (RIP) to then be able to get a new freighter without losing that investment. Upgraded to one (man it is so much smaller). No update to the quest. Quest reads collect 3 dynamic resonators to craft a theta warp drive for freighter. Okay, I had done that on my previous, but yeah, no hyperdrive. Cue 2 hours of scouring a planet for 1000 solanium. 3 Dynamic Resonators bought. checkbox did not get checked. Fine... I craft a Theta drive.... no update to checkbox.

Anyone? I'm at a loss and feel I just wasted a ton of time chasing something that won't progress. Quest has the golden eclipse ring icon in my Log which I assumed was the new quest...

Worse case scenario, and one I don't want to do, is I could just play in creative to see all the narrative stuff.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Prevented the terrain editor draining in charge when editing empty voxels
Prevented the user being able to edit terrain outside their base radius for free while standing inside their base
Seems cool based on what I have heard complaint-wise about the terrain editor recharge.
Yay. I'm loving the increased profits from the scanner upgrades. :D

Top Bottom