• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ducktales (2017) |OT| Might solve a mystery, or reboot history!

Psxphile

What? No Robotica episode?
I mean, if we take that list at face-value they've already dealt with it. But I can also see one of the ducklings accidentally discovering and activating her. But personally I think it's just a reference that's not going to get any screentime. That goes for the other stuff on the list, too.

What are the chances they are gonna a physical release for this? Would love to buy a collectors edition of this
Gravity Falls was one of Disney XD's biggest breakout hits.
Its still doesn't have a Blu-Ray release. I wouldn't expect one if I were you.
That being said, they're certainly making it available on stream everywhere else:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYTeQNRFNno

Ristifer

I adored the "Woo-oo!" premiere and was hoping that it wasn't a fluke. I'm soooo glad it wasn't. Both new episodes were terrific. So many hints and nods so far. Now I just want more. I'm greedy.

e_i

Watched the 3rd episode.
"This isn't a foyer. This is a tomb."
Caged skateboarding chickens had me in stitches.
Ma Beagle is spot on. SPOT ON.
I want to hug Webby. She's so awesome. Her spaziness is infectious.
Louie is the best nephew.
I love the fact that Donald has a bigger role in this series.

Edit: Changed the episode number. It's the third episode, not 1st.

Belfast

They mention her name a couple of times in the show: Quackfaster. She's Scrooge's secretary in the original Barks/Don Rosa comics:

missquackfastere.jpg

They changed her name to Featherby in the old Ducktales cartoon, but given the many tributes to the comics it makes sense to change it back to her original name. Although, of course, her personality in this episode isn't like her old incarnations at all - I'm thinking it might be a bait & switch and they'll reveal her to be Magica, working undercover at the moneybin. This is totally how she would act. The disguises, the smoke/disappearance, the spooky disembodied voice and music, and I swear there was just a tinge of a (cartoony) Italian accent coming through at the end. That would also explain why they haven't talked about Magica at all, even though she's one of the biggest villains. Or they could be saving her for season 2 of course, but I'm betting this might be her, and the Quackfaster name is just a red herring.

Lots of fun references to Don Rosa in the last episode. 'The Life and Times of Delia Duck', and showing the origin of the lucky dime with art very similar to how it was portrayed in Life & Times and the later comic where Magica travels back in time to steal it when he first gets it.

I don't think he's going to be? Project Blatherskite is a reference to his catchphrase and Gizmoduck, and he's probably not going to become Gizmoduck himself since they already have Lin-Manuel Miranda to voice him. I think the intention was more 'insane genius whose inventions always turn out wrong' rather than 'evil genius' in that last scene.

There’s also the brief reference to “magical defenses” for the money bin. That certainly wasn’t a completely off-hand remark concerning one of Scrooge’s most magical enemies. If Quackfaster isn’t Magica, she likely has some connection the mystical arts. And if she *is* Magica, she also just got one of the Duck family to open up that secret room full of artifacts...

Zubz

Banned
Wait, so they got Beloved Character Actress Margot Martindale to be a criminal mastermind? That's absolutely perfect.

I'm definitely digging this so far, though. The characterization's great for each character, even if self-centered Gyro threw me for a loop.

omg, just watched the first (and second?) episode ("Woo-oo!"). Hit all the right tones for me. Love the animation. Love new Webby and Mrs. Beasley. Tennant's voice is great. And that ending! Plus Donald's "I can't keep track of all your sworn enemies" was so perfectly delivered.

Love, love this series so far! Webby thinking Louie
was asking her to kill/take out a guy with a spork
and Scrooge's
"Do you have any idea how many vengeance curses I have on my head?" when defending his $15 million magical defense budget
were the hardest I laughed in the two new episodes.

Gyro's really hard to pin down at the moment. He's either going to
remain a mad, bitter scientist who's just an a-hole and whose creations accidentally turn evil. Or he may end up turning into a full villain by the end of the season.

I don't think they would do anything as dramatically different as the latter. But I appreciate that they've given him more depth to his character, even if that depth makes him very abrasive. I imagine that he's being painted in a negative light so
Fenton Crackshell will seem more heroic and sympathetic when he accidentally becomes Gizmoduck.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
Without spoilers, because I'm hopeful but wary - I was told by a friend whose opinion I value that they really changed Scrooge to not be, well, a scrooge. True?

Zubz

Banned
Without spoilers, because I'm hopeful but wary - I was told by a friend whose opinion I value that they really changed Scrooge to not be, well, a scrooge. True?

It's been more of an "informed attribute" towards everyone but Launchpad. He's very supportive of his family & friends, & his business approach has been bounced off more miserly antagonists, so he seems less greedy by comparison.

I'm sure it'll be more apparent as the show goes on, though.

Possibly? Scrooge is a bit different than his original cartoon depiction, but the creators of this reboot are trying to incorporate more from the original comics. He's not as grumpy as his past incarnations, but he's also less, well, cartoonish and lovey-dovey than his 80s version. Four episodes in, he's actually pretty badass. He's only really gone on one to two adventures on-screen, but all of the references to his past paint him as this larger-than-life adventurer.

One of his best quotes so far is "You kids are nothing but trouble! BOY, have I missed trouble!" He's all about having the kids around because he's been itching for adventure after years of being alone with nothing but his money. He's loving it, even if he knows when to take things seriously. But there's a hint that he may have been
too overzealous or reckless on a past adventure
, and that's why him and Donald are estranged before the show begins.

Here's a decent example that shows his character, but spoils the opening comedy scene for the third episode:
The kids having a dart gun war inside the mansion. It's possible that other Scrooges would have told the kids to cut out that racket and not make a mess inside his mansion. But this Scrooge instead takes away Louie's dart gun so he can give him advice on not yelling at your enemy since it takes away the element of surprise. Then he lets them run around shooting each other while Mrs. Beakley pleads with him to get things under control.
He's very much someone who is all about hard work, but he's not a miser or a penny-pincher. He argues for keeping a lot of expenses with his board of advisers that seem frivolous and excessive, but are actually important to his overall empire/adventuring past.

He's different, but I like this version a lot. He feels like much more of an adventure addict. But you damn well better believe he still loves all his money. He worked way too damn hard to earn all of it.

Taramoor

Scrooge is still a Scrooge, he's just not a stick-in-the-mud.

He's all about the adventure and whatnot until it inconveniences him personally.

"Family meeting. NOW!"

Guzim

I was babysitting my niece last night and I saw episodes 2 and 3. I liked it a lot though it's going to take me a while to get used to David Tennant as Scrooge.

Berordn

Yeah, I know. He must be losing it or something.

I said "this" as in "this show's"

In retrospect that should've been obvious. I haven't had much trouble with understanding him yet, but he's definitely taking a different approach to it than his standard voice it seems.

Never watched the original but this rocks. Man the cast is fantastic (no surprise). They also have some pretty tight and funny writing to work with which helps. Love when the animation of the kids gets really goofy like the car roll.

In retrospect that should've been obvious. I haven't had much trouble with understanding him yet, but he's definitely taking a different approach to it than his standard voice it seems.

He's just getting old. It's like an old rock singer that can't hit the notes anymore and is practically intelligible. The Donald Duck voice is incredibly challenging and vocally taxing, and this is an almost 60 year old dude who's been doing it for over 30 years. I know he has such a history and his performance of the character has been fantastic his entire career, but it's time he retires and they replace him with a younger actor like he did for Clarence Nash. Anselmo can do the same thing Nash did for him and mentor the new guy for a few years in a transitional phase.

Although I could imagine it being an ugly split like the recent Kermit replacement.

Luigi87

"Nice of FunZones to lift the ban and give us all those free tokens--you know, to keep us from suing them."

That line just slayed me.

This was one of those jokes where you know exactly what’s going to happen, but that only makes it funnier. Beakley just continuing to drink tea while watching made it even better.

Donald is awesome on this show. He’s still Donald, but he’s got a protective parent/guardian aspect towards the nephews that makes him very endearing. When he goes apeshit on the Beagle Boys, it’s old-school funny but also kinda sweet. Nobody messes with Donald’s boys.

Boem

Anselmo can do the same thing Nash did for him and mentor the new guy for a few years in a transitional phase.

The way Disney works, I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't already happening behind the scenes. After his firing, Whitmire has been talking on his blog about how Disney tried to force the Muppet performers to take understudies - to replace them if they couldn't perform themselves anymore, and to be able to do more live events without the main cast being present. Whitmire was vehemently against it since they really want to keep it inside the old Henson family of friends, but the suggestion was that this is usual for big recurring Disney characters that are associated with specific actors, and that Disney was annoyed at (among many other things) Whitmire not wanting to play ball.

Not trying to make this into a Whitmire discussion btw, your comment about understudies just reminded me of it.

loved it.IMHO I'm more interested in learning the backstory of Scrooge with Della and Donald than anything else.

From the little we've seen
the boys take after their mom in their mischievous nature, she was shown to be apparently an older sister to Donald who liked to pull pranks on him
. I want to know more but I'm sure the show will only sprinkle it throughout the episodes.

Ristifer

Thank you for these. There were a ton of laugh out loud moments on the show. Webby creepily singing the slogan for Funso's while luring Ma into the ballpit was hilarious.

We also need a gif of when Louie was trying to get into the elevator and the display just showed 'L'. I was laughing my ass off there.

EDIT: Awesome OP!

I liked episode 3 more than episode 2 (we need to establish whether the pilot is episode 1 or episodes 1-2), since episode 3 felt more specifically like a Duck story, but both were great. Webby is seriously a huge improvement over her old version and is a ton of fun. It's great to see that Donald is closer to his comic version, in that he's actually useful when needed, but still comically clumsy. That fire GIF above needed to continue a few more seconds to include Beakley sipping her tea.

Platy

So do you guys think they will play the "i am a spy" in the alfred way to the "actual working for an enemy" way ?

So do you guys think they will play the "i am a spy" in the alfred way to the "actual working for an enemy" way ?

Seeing as Ma Beagle seemed to recognize Beakley, I can imagine them having a past. She was probably some sort of spy, but a "good" one. I was going through the Ducktales/Disney wikis last night, and apparently there was a SHIELD-like spy organization called S.H.U.S.H. in Darkwing Duck. Beakley was/is probably an agent of that organization or whichever similar one was used in the first Ducktales. Maybe she was assigned to Scrooge to keep an eye on him, but stayed with him once she realized he was a good dude.

If the reboot is going to have Darkwing Duck, then they could also incorporate F.O.W.L. as the show's Hydra or SPECTRE. It was SHUSH's rival organization and one of the main adversaries for Darkwing.

Zubz

Banned
Seeing as Ma Beagle seemed to recognize Beakley, I can imagine them having a past. She was probably some sort of spy, but a "good" one. I was going through the Ducktales/Disney wikis last night, and apparently there was a SHIELD-like spy organization called S.H.U.S.H. in Darkwing Duck. Beakley was/is probably an agent of that organization or whichever similar one was used in the first Ducktales. Maybe she was assigned to Scrooge to keep an eye on him, but stayed with him once she realized he was a good dude.

If the reboot is going to have Darkwing Duck, then they could also incorporate F.O.W.L. as the show's Hydra or SPECTRE. It was SHUSH's rival organization and one of the main adversaries for Darkwing.

I really like this "more serious Beakley" approach, but if she's the key to Darkwing getting into this... damn. Doubly so if it turned her into a more-composed, less-violent/sadistic, grandmotherly, kid-friendly Duck Universe version of Brock Samson.

ReiGun

People have pointed out some of the best gags already, but I gotta give props to the running joke with Louie and the elevator. Slayed me every time.

I'm surprised with all the made up locales, Beakley just name drops New Zealand. Now I imagine it being depicted with anthropomorphized kiwis, keas and the like. I want to see that.

Great pair of episodes either way. I don't think you'll see anyone clamoring for old Beakley. She's just an improvement in every single way.

Not

Banned
Seeing that little bulb guy pop out instantly took me back to reading old Scrooge McDuck comics as a kid.

What a nostalgia rush.

Feffe

I'm surprised with all the made up locales, Beakley just name drops New Zealand. Now I imagine it being depicted with anthropomorphized kiwis, keas and the like. I want to see that.

Great pair of episodes either way. I don't think you'll see anyone clamoring for old Beakley. She's just an improvement in every single way.
c19efae84b8d84a40a2f42d0fa5639a4.gif

e_i

Episode 4

Blabbering Blatherskite!!!! Hell yes.
Nutty librarian is love. She's hilarious. "YOU WILL BECOME ONE WITH THE ARCHIVES!"
"This place is filled with lunatics."

Sean C

This has been a very fun reboot so far. I initially wasn't sold on the animation style, but it's grown on me, and the characters all feel well-defined in fairly short order.

Top Bottom