• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favorite/greatest bullshots in gaming history

Cess007

Nobody forget:

fd1ckNm.jpg

Good thing i never saw those photos before. If i've see them when the N64 was launching, i would have been damn pissed the game was cancelled (not knowing of course, they were such obvious bullshots)

Still think the final KZ2 game looks far better then that trailer.

I wouldn't go that far, but I'd still say Guerilla did a phenomenal job with the final product, especially with a world of doubt surrounding the actual reveal of Killzone 2. Game looks absolutely stunning and it's amazing how close it actually came to the CG-Target demo.

Motorstorm, on the other hand... not even fucking close.

Then again, I think concept videos should be excluded as 'bullshots', as most of them clearly state they are concept demos and/or give disclaimers that the final game is subject to change, but we're talking technicalities here. :p

When I think "Bullshot" I think of this image specifically.

tres01.jpg

When that shot was shrunk down and put in magazine previews, it looked incredible. As crappy as it looks blown up, I don't think there is any part of Trespasser that looks that good.

Trespasser.

That game was ambitious but, ultimately, just not able to reach it's potential. If the AI and physics had been as promised, who knows? It could have been amazing.

Omega

Banned
i fell for this one so badly back in the day. still hurts to this day

i thought it was possible too. Maybe not at first, but i figured it could be achievable.

I couldn't help but laugh when they showed off the Ignite engine at the last E3. Come on, did they really think anyone would fall for that again?

Maybe 2K could achieve it with NBA, but we'll never get a football game that good looking.

Unfortunately people need real teams in their sports games, so 2K could never just make up a league of all original teams and create a new football game.

TnK

In the future, I have a feeling FFXV's screenshots from the trailer will be posted here.

Can't imagine how the PS4 will handle some of the intense scenes, let alone my really beefy PC.

DOWN

Banned
I wouldn't go that far, but I'd still say Guerilla did a phenomenal job with the final product, especially with a world of doubt surrounding the actual reveal of Killzone 2. Game looks absolutely stunning and it's amazing how close it actually came to the CG-Target demo.

Motorstorm, on the other hand... not even fucking close.

Then again, I think concept videos should be excluded as 'bullshots', as most of them clearly state they are concept demos and/or give disclaimers that the final game is subject to change, but we're talking technicalities here. :p

Except those demos were from when Sony showed off reels that they said were all running in real time on PS3 as a show of what games would be coming. These weren't touted as CGI trailers. They were supposedly upcoming games in progress. Guerrilla later explained that they were asked to make that short "target render" way before they had much of a game in mind. Thus, it was a CGI (they avoid using any terms besides "target render") replica of what they wanted to make, but not what they could make.

And while Killzone 2 is still a top tier graphics powerhouse on consoles, it is absolutely not as technically impressive as their debut trailer. It did improve artistically, at least.

People are fine when they state that it's a concept video.

Problem is, Sony was outright saying that was real, and you had people believing it was running on PS3. So that takes it straight to bullshot territory.

StuBurns

Banned
I can't believe anyone thinks that Zelda demo is bullshit, it looks like a HD Remaster with some niceish lighting. If the game doesn't look a lot better, I'd be very surprised.

repeater

What makes it even worse is the horrible framerate and audio that sounds like it's being played on a Skullcandy earbud held up against a tin can.
Comically enough, none of these - admittedly very severe - technical flaws were even half as disappointing or frustrating as
DAT GODDAMNED ROLLING BALL PUZZLE

Warewolf

Yeah.... It still won't produce CGI like graphics in 5 years time.

I don't know what the Order looks like to you but if that gameplay footage is to be believed, I've certainly never seen a higher fidelity game. Christ, it looks better than some CGI I've seen.

Ryse was a launch game for the "inferior" system.

I mean, come on man, five years? Are you even thinking?

trixx

Crysis2-1.jpg

Okay, technically not really a bullshot. But the amount of discussions it sparked on some forums was hilarious.
Watch the cutscenes ;) They're real time and they're exactly like that.

hahaha what in the world? The redsteel one has me dying as well.

Halo 2 announcement. Bungie said the trailer was running real time on the original xbox... Even a lot of modern games have worse lighning than this old stuff.
Realtime reflections on the visor would still be an amazing feature for the visuals

halo2_x02_trailer_05.jpg

halo2_x02_trailer_06.jpg

halo2_x02_trailer_02.jpg

halo2_x02_trailer_07.jpg

Horp

I don't know what the Order looks like to you but if that gameplay footage is to be believed, I've certainly never seen a higher fidelity game. Christ, it looks better than some CGI I've seen.

"I think X looks just as awesome Y" is not the same thing as "X is technically equal to or superiour to Y".

The Order looks pretty cool, but it's not most technically advanced game ever. If by fidelity you mean artstyle, then I can't argue against you (it's a matter of taste), but if you mean "technically advanced", then you're wrong.

That Motorstorm screenshot shows techniques and a level of image quality that I bet my left thumb will not be achieved on the PS4.

Edit:
Some of those techniques are:
* Fullscreen (not per object) DOF with extreme resolution scattering
* Extreme resolution and extreme fidelity motion blur
* No aliasing whatsoever
* Particle effects that doesn't resemble anything that can be done in realtime today.

You see, these things above, they require a certain amount of processing power to do. There will be new tricks and cheats developed which will make you go "this game looks the most awesomest ever", but they will not be more technically advanced than this screenshot. Because for the trained eye, they will not be of the same quality. Cheating will never be as good as the real thing.

DOWN

Banned
Halo 2 announcement. Bungie said the trailer was running real time on the original xbox... Even a lot of modern games have worse lighning than this old stuff.
Realtime reflections on the visor would still be an amazing feature for the visuals

The reflections were in the Halo 3 E3 premiere and then scrapped there, too. I miss those old Halo days though.

To be fair to Bungie, they were actually trying to build the games to look this way and learned through struggle that they couldn't. It was less of a misleading scenario than the Sony Killzone 2 lie, which Guerrilla was shady about, but didn't personally make the claims of it running on PS3 that Sony made.

DOWN

Banned
I always wonder why Intel had to kill that beauty Project Offset, since it seemed like the closest strive towards CGI impressions an engine had gotten until pretty recently.

I highly disagree with those games looking anywhere close to what Motorstorms bullshots and trailer produced. Yes I am thinking (and have actually studied 3d modelling for 2 years before finally dropping out... I'm an expert!) Horp said all my thoughts well. The stuff we see in those bullshots is still quite far away from what we will get this gen.

DOWN

Banned
Maybe I'm jaded by the arrival of the new gen, but am I the only one who doesn't think Dark Souls II ever looked like it was pushing boundaries? Is the disappointment just that it looks worse than expected, or did people think it looks worse than a graphical savior of a last gen title?

I highly disagree with those games looking anywhere close to what Motorstorms bullshots and trailer produced. Yes I am thinking.

The Order: 1886 is pretty stunning though. I'd have to say it has closed the gap more than almost any other game to date.

the-order-1886-012814-1.jpg

213372bu

Banned
You mean a bullshot except for the part where it clearly states "Concept" at the top of the picture? If people don't know what a bullshot is, they should just admit it.

Yeah no, the first one is a shot from a CGI render meant for TV. It was never shown off as gameplay/ingame. The second is artwork it even says so in the top right.
Haven't played OoT 3D and my memory of the original is too vague.

Neither of these is a bullshot.

Derp. Linked the wrong pictures. I'll get the ones I was talking about now.

Top Bottom