• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The lack of new game announcements for the Nintendo Switch.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Why buy a system at launch if you cant wait for 3 months till e3 and its "frustrating" for you ? Come on....unless this is your first launch.

Everyone has different expectations. I remember the first year of the 3DS and Wii U launches and was hoping there wouldn't be a repeat of those month long droughts.

jacobeid

Banned
OP, not hammering on you but these types of threads tend to come up regularly around this time of year each year regardless of system. We are just in the pre-E3 period where everyone is waiting to announce. Give it some time :)

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
If anyone is waiting for big third parties to announce big projects, you will be waiting a while. They are all waiting to see whether the Switch is a viable platform for selling software that isn't Zelda.

Nintendo built the Switch for first party software and indie/mobile developers, don't expect big third party announcements until E3 at the earliest.

emb

I feel like there's too much to play. I mean, how many games can you play at once?
I'm still working through Bomberman, but don't really feel overwhelmed by the Switch library. However, I do feel this way about the game landscape at large. Much has been said already about the onslaught of great 2017 games, including Switch's Zelda. It feels overwhelming to me how many I want to catch up and play just from recent months.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Everyone has different expectations. I remember the first year of the 3DS and Wii U launches and was hoping there wouldn't be a repeat of those month long droughts.

Switch will have a better lineup this year than both of this systems so i dont quite get your point. But yeah everyone has different expectations i guess.

Gartooth

Going by the usual Nintendo droughts this at least looks like their best year since 2014. We will probably get a big Direct at E3, but otherwise the major games until Fall are Splatoon 2, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, and ARMS.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Just wait until E3, Nintendo has never failed to announce big games at E3 when they've needed to the most.

EDarkness

OP, not hammering on you but these types of threads tend to come up regularly around this time of year each year regardless of system. We are just in the pre-E3 period where everyone is waiting to announce. Give it some time :)

Well, announcements don't have to come around E3. We got a Destiny announcement yesterday and will get more information this week. Got some 3DS games announced recently as well. Got a Vita game announced today, also.

Watch Rayman, Skyrim, Steep and FIFA along with Fire Emblem Warriors and Mario Odyssey be the full Winter Switch line up now Nintendo have seen how well it's selling with one meaningful game.

Kudo

You should give them until E3, if E3 is lackluster then its time to panic.
I've got enough games in horizon to keep me busy.

antibolo

Banned
I don't expect any western AAA games out of this thing (outside of what has been already announced such as Skyrim). Western developers have stopped giving a fuck about Nintendo two generations ago, and the Switch isn't going to bring them back.

Best case scenario outside of Nintendo games, is plenty of indies and a decent amount of Japanese 3rd parties. I'd be fine with that.

tl;dr I keep my expectations to a reasonable level

Skyzard

Banned
Yup E3

But lets remember that we have this image for now

55983_1_nintendo-switch-games-lineup-visual-guide_full.png

I remember when Vita games would get posted like this and you'd have a bunch of people delete all the titles that were ports, or just simply scream ports and add a "/thread".

I used to say that these were games on a portable/handheld and so had extra benefit. But nowadays PC to anything portable (except nintendo consoles) via streaming is pretty damn sweet.

yeah reading the op it sounds like hes waiting for the shoe to drop for third party AAA

time to realize the reality of this system

those types of demanding games will be limited if they appear at all

only titles that could reasonably be built to scale for the system could even have a remote chance

Pretty much. Expect indies, some AA possibly and Nintendo games for now.

I just want some fucking Virtual Console news. It took Wii U a bit over 2 months to get it's first Virtual Console release so this better be faster than that.

As the weeks go on, I'm starting to wonder what everyone thinks about the lack of new game announcements for the NS. I know haters can take this idea and run with it, but if you're not into Mario Kart, what's next for you for the system?

We just had a bunch of game announcements a month ago, and we're starting to have a pretty clear roadmap until E3.

April
Lego City Undercover
Puyo Puyo Tetris
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Shakedown Hawaii
Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap
Mr. Shifty
Graceful Explosion Machine

May
RiME
Disgaea 5 Complete
Ultra Street Fighter II

Q2 TBA
Arms
Redout
TumbleSeed

I don't think it's surprising that Nintendo, like every other big game company, hasn't announced in detail what their plans are for the second half of the year.

What might be surprising is that Switch is getting basically the same number of games that PS4 did in the same period of time.

# of games at 25 days
Switch: 28 games
PS4: 24 games

# of games scheduled for first two months
Switch: 35+ games
PS4: 28 games

JaseMath

Stock is being snatched up as soon as it's available. I don't think Nintendo is feeling the pressure of having to reveal titles when the Switch is selling as good as it is. E3 will be the big coming out party so when (if) the initial hype dies down and stock is more readily available, there'll be incentive to purchase for those on the fence, especially looking forward to the holiday season.

MoonFrog

I think we're looking at mostly Nintendo/indie until holiday 2017 at least, with a couple test games, mostly Japanese thrown in. I'm more worried about how the software outlook looks after the "second launch" at holiday.

Will Japanese developers jump on board, linger on the 3DS, go mobile, go PS4 chasing the west?

What further games does Nintendo have cooking for Switch after Mario? What are these new IP/do they exist? What's Retro doing? What's "console" FE? Is Metroid coming back?

Jawmuncher

Only thing I have to say about that image everyone likes to post with all the upcoming "games".

ffqvofq.png

I swear E3 better be pulling no stops. Especially after they cheesed last years with nothing but zelda pretty much.

I think Switch has plenty going for it, and each week I find myself surprised with one or two surprise releases. I've put over 80 hours into various games since launch, and I still don't feel like I'm "done" with what I have.

As many others have mentioned, expecting Red Dead or Destiny 2 on Switch was always setting yourself up for failure.

Edit: As for greater third party support, lets not let the initial success of Switch erase Nintendo's history with third parties. They had great support on Wii, but really hurt their relationships with Wii-U. I'm not expecting any major third party support until at least next fall. That's also very dependent on how well Switch sells throughout this year and most importantly, the holidays.

lyrick

If something fails to meet your expectations, it's a personal failure.

Your expectations are misaligned to the reality of a situation.

PSFan

Lack of Switch game announcements doesn't bother me at all. I have games to play on PS4, 3DS, PS3 and Vita. After, Zelda I have plenty to keep me busy until Mario comes out this holiday. KH 1.5 & 2.5 arrives today, so I'll have that and II.8 to play on PS4. Playing through those will last a while.

Jamix012

If Pokemon launches this year and Splat2n manages to recapture the japanese base, I guarantee we'll see big games from Japanese devs in the near future.

Only thing I have to say about that image everyone likes to post with all the upcoming "games".

ffqvofq.png

I swear E3 better be pulling no stops. Especially after they cheesed last years with nothing but zelda pretty much.
Dino Crisis is never coming back. It's dead Jaw.

Just kidding I'm sure it will return.
As an iPhone exclusive

Kindekuma

Banned
We've got a good list of games coming out already from now until the end of the year. E3 in 2 months should drop a truckload of announcements for 2017 and beyond.

Everyone does have different expectations I guess, or I'm old, or never forgot playing a couple of NES games a year as a kid. Or all three. But a "month-long drought" sounds like an oxymoron to me. I could care less if I don't play anything for a month. I know Mario Kart, Splatoon, Mario Odyssey, maybe ARMS, hopefully Xenoblade 2, a handful of indies I'll be interested in, and maybe a surprise E3 announcement or two could all be out this year. That seems like plenty for me in less than a year. I probably won't even get to all of that.

To be fair, I'm nowhere even close to finished with Zelda yet, either. I understand people tear through these things in a week or two and want something lined up next.

timberger

No offense to anyone, but all this talk of 'waiting for E3' while listing off mostly indies and ports is giving me some serious Vita launch year flashbacks.

MTC100

Banned
There won't be many PS4/XBO titles on the switch and I am glad for that, I have a PC for 95% of those games anyway and wouldn't play them on the Switch.

I'm looking forward to Xenoblade X2, the real Fire Emblem and Mario Odyssey in the near future. With Zelda that's already 4 great games within (probably)the first year of the console and then there's also Splatoon 2, Fire Emblem Warriors and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe to play if you want...

Also: Once the 3DS support dies off, all those game series will wander to the Switch, seeing how well the system does in Japan. So I am not really worried about the lineup at all.

Shiggy

Don't expect more than two Nintendo games a month. This parties will probably only release their kid- and family-friendly franchises.

MoonFrog

ffqvofq.png

What if they give their stage to nothing but Dino crisis?

Gleethor

I own Metal Slug 3, KoF '98, and Blaster Master. I check the eShop on Thursdays to see what's been added. I hope the next Neo Geo game is Metal Slug. I guess the main thing for me is that I've played all of these games already for many years. I was trying to get into FAST: RMX, but the difficulty is taking me out of the game. I have Zelda, but I'm really not interested in playing it. I think I've put in 5 or 6 hours so far. Loved the Splatoon Testfire and would be playing that if it was out.

Not many new experiences so far. Hell, I'd take a Batman game to be honest. I got through the Wii U drought with Batman and Darksiders 2.
I found your problem, OP

EDarkness

I don't have any problems with the system. I got it for split controller gaming and it's delivered. I'm extremely happy with that. I also got it for I Am Setsuna, which I'm almost finished with. I would like to see something else cool coming in the nearish future that is interesting to me. Or I would like to get more information on games that I'm interested in. That list of games is good and all, but there are quite a few games on that list we know almost nothing about. It would be awesome if devs would at least talk about them...that would be enough for me personally.

I'd love to hear more about Redout, but outside of being announced we know nothing about how it's going to play out on the NS.

komorebi

I didn't expect AAA releases from third parties for this system.

My upcoming lineup is Snake Pass, Yooka-Laylee, Mario Kart, ARMS, Rime and Splatoon from now til E3.

With the exception of Splatoon (no way it's releasing before E3) this is one hell of a lineup. I'm excited for all of these plus whatever indies get released in the meantime.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue

Gator86

I don't think this is always true, but here, absolutely. If you bought a Switch expecting anything other than Nintendo titles, a couple indies, and tumbleweeds, you fucked up. If you don't like Zelda, I can't even imagine why you would buy a Switch right now.

Top Bottom