• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looks like all digital PSP / PSone games work on Vita now [Not Anymore]

Moofers

Did anyone put Brave Story on their Vita by way of PS3? I have that game and didn't download it to the Vita in time. Wondering if I should even bother putting it on ps3 if it's not going to transfer.

I'm mad about this dumb move, but I got lucky and all my downloads actually finished before they removed it. Got all the PSP and PS1 games in my download list - about 20 or so games in all. My memory card never get corrupted or something.

What would I do if I upgraded to the 64gb card? How can I move everything over?

Making a backup and then restoring on your 64GB should work.

Thank god I downloaded MGS: VR Missions before Sony reversed compability.

Really stupid, now I'm wondering if it even will come back.

Kolma

crap they did...?
*edit
Just looked in store on Vita
VR Missions is there
MGS1 is not

Takao

Banned
Did anyone put Brave Story on their Vita by way of PS3? I have that game and didn't download it to the Vita in time. Wondering if I should even bother putting it on ps3 if it's not going to transfer.

That game was removed from PSN before Vita launched, so probably not.

bigkrev

Alright, found a way to check.
While PSP games do not mention their platforms on receipt sent to your e-mail
Capture_zps1f1ea782.jpg

If you buy a PS1 classic, it shows it's platforms

Capture2_zpscfe6b884.jpg

So if anyone bought a PS1 game like Crash or Spyro in the last few days that wasn't compatable (ie, the people who "should get refunds"), please post the receipt, and it should verify if Sony was actually advertising these items as Vita compatable.

Quoting myself from a few pages ago, but if anyone bought any PS1 game that is now not working in the last few days, please check your e-mail and let us know if it said it was Vita compatible or not!

Moofers

That game was removed from PSN before Vita launched, so probably not.
So was the demo for Phantasy Star Portable, but it still worked. You just couldn't transfer it before the glitch. Brave Story is off the store, but nobody has said if it will transfer from ps3 to Vita or not for those who already have it.

I'll try tonight after work. I got my 16gb all full of PSP and PSOne games from Monday, but I'll delete some Vita stuff I haven't played to make room. Very glad I ordered a 64gb card that's almost here. I will backup my 16gb soon and wait for transfer.

Kolma

So was the demo for Phantasy Star Portable, but it still worked. You just couldn't transfer it before the glitch. Brave Story is off the store, but nobody has said if it will transfer from ps3 to Vita or not for those who already have it.

I'll try tonight after work. I got my 16gb all full of PSP and PSOne games from Monday, but I'll delete some Vita stuff I haven't played to make room. Very glad I ordered a 64gb card that's almost here. I will backup my 16gb soon and wait for transfer.

PSP demo is still on the store, just not PSP2 demo nor the PSP2 game

Megatron

What about the games they do own/control the license of?

Are they still accessible?

Can I still get Gran Turismo onto my Vita?
Sony controls the license of the game but not the hundreds of cars in the game. I imagine that's the problem. Similarily they may own the original crash and spyro games but not the characters so they also dont fully control those licenses.

Well this sucks, I completely ran out of room after putting PSP2 on there and was waiting to buy a 64gb card before downloading the rest of the games I wanted on Vita. Guess that means I won't be retiring my PSP Go any time soon.

Edit: Actually, you guys might want to double check your download list - seems not everything has been blocked yet. I can still download Me & My Katamari via download history despite that not being available on the Vita store.

rav

Damn!
I bought everything on that sale, and I have been working too much to fire up the vita (and charge it)
I saw this thread and was excited to play those games... Hopefully something will happen on the 30th with the ps4 firmware update?

But probably not :(

MikeRahl

Quoting myself from a few pages ago, but if anyone bought any PS1 game that is now not working in the last few days, please check your e-mail and let us know if it said it was Vita compatible or not!

Not to burst anyone's bubble but this is from the sale. Granted a few days before things were unlocked.

as74.png

Hatchtag

Banned
Wow. So now that we know there's not really any reason that certain PS1 and PSP games aren't on Vita, they take them off? Really god damn lame. Hopefully they put them back up, or some shit storm happens or something.

I keep coming back to this thread hoping to see an update that Sony brought back the compatibility (again). Like this is just a bad nightmare that I'll snap out of any moment now. Any moment now

Johnson81

Neo Member
I can't believe they have rescinded this. I bought C&C Red Alert about 3 months ago and hoped it was compatible with the Vita. Unfortunately not. After seeing this thread, downloaded it and it's working brilliantly with a few sound glitches on the Vita. Now I know not to delete it from the memory card, thanks GAF.

Jomjom

Banned

Ah ok thanks! I thought VR always worked? It was MGS that wasn't directly downloadable from the Vita?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
This is fucking bullshit. I sold my old Vita 2-3 weeks ago so I could get a Vita 2000 which doesn't come till May 6, so I missed out. I was even contemplating a 64GB. But now Sony can go fuck themselves. Canceling my pre order (which I had fully paid off btw) and not buying another Vita for long time. Fuck you Sony.
lol

andshrew

The games were clearly labeled as Vita compatible on the web store so if anyone bought them in the last few days and is genuinely aggrieved by this I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to get Sony to refund on the basis the game was mis-sold. It's disappointing that they haven't been more proactive in releasing a statement explaining there was a technical fault with the store and offering refunds.

They certainly haven't fixed everything on the UK store yet. For instance some of 'free' PSP games that came with PSPGo can still be downloaded to Vita when previously they could only be downloaded directly to a Go.

bigkrev

I can't believe they have rescinded this. I bought C&C Red Alert about 3 months ago and hoped it was compatible with the Vita. Unfortunately not. After seeing this thread, downloaded it and it's working brilliantly with a few sound glitches on the Vita. Now I know not to delete it from the memory card, thanks GAF.

Alright, that is interesting. I'm now guessing that those games all failed cert for Vita.

Lesiroth

So if I understand correctly first party games like GT, MotorStorm and WipEout worked fine when the glitch was still active, right?
I can understand SCEA being incompetent enough/not caring to sort this issue with 3rd parties, but the games they published themselves... SMH

Such a disappointing turn of events. Though in the end I now have all the Crash and Spyro games on my Vita, was able to grab the now de-listed Sega Rally Revo (PSP) and now have Motorstorm Arectic Edge on my Vita as well. So I'm not completely unhappy.

So if I understand correctly first party games like GT, MotorStorm and WipEout worked fine when the glitch was still active, right?
I can understand SCEA being incompetent enough/not caring to sort this issue with 3rd parties, but the games they published themselves... SMH
I had Gran Turismo PSP on my Vita before any of this happened, so that's at least transferable through the PS3. Motorstorm no longer works, neither does Wipeout Pure, but Wipeout Pulse will still work and is in fact included in the Vita's PSN storefront.

Orlov

eh I went back to my PSP easily enough when the Valkyria Chronicles 3 patch dropped. I don't have an affinity for DAT OLED anyway.

Ghosting was major problem, colours not so much. Although, I have PSP 1000 and it has by far the worst display of all PSP revisions.

If this has taught us anything it's that having licensed music in games is not as big a benefit as being able to play the game legally later

If this has taught me anything, it's that CFW and piracy will continue to have legitimate reasons to exist, since platform holders refuse to provide basic convenience and proper customer service for their consumers, that Google Play and iOS stores seem to have no issue with.

Wow. I'm glad I bought and downloaded Sega Genesis Collection while I had the chance. Too bad my memory card is only 16GB or I would have downloaded a lot more while I had the chance.

Agent X

Oh, cool..

Tho maybe Sony should have a different licensing, where if you are releasing on PSN, you are also making your content available to all compatible products. Price your content accordingly if you are so afraid of getting extra sales for some reason.

The Vita did not exist when most of these content deals were made

Doesn't matter. There are numerous other precedents in the computing and consumer electronics markets.

Most Android games that are available now were released prior to the Samsung Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8. Should someone who purchases a Samsung Galaxy S5 or an HTC One M8 expect to go to the Google Play store and see a barren wasteland because none of the last few years' worth of games were licensed specifically for his model of phone?

Should someone who walks out of Best Buy with a shiny new PC boot up Steam and see a virtually empty catalog, just because his exact specific model of PC wasn't on the negotiation table a few years ago?

Amazon doesn't need to renegotiate all of their E-book rights individually every time they release a new Kindle.

Apple doesn't need to renegotiate iOS apps individually every time they release a new iPhone or iPad.

If the PS Vita could be considered a "new and improved model of PSP", then they should be able to grandfather the digital distribution rights to new and compatible hardware, just like Apple, Amazon, Google, and Valve have historically been able to do.

Muzy72

Banned
This is fucking bullshit. I sold my old Vita 2-3 weeks ago so I could get a Vita 2000 which doesn't come till May 6, so I missed out. I was even contemplating a 64GB. But now Sony can go fuck themselves. Canceling my pre order (which I had fully paid off btw) and not buying another Vita for long time. Fuck you Sony.
Okay so I may have overreacted a little :lol

I'll still be getting my Vita but damn this sucks. Really wish I waited on selling my original Vita :-/

wilflare

we should keep the tweets going

so let's try
#VITAnoLicenseLock
#EndLicenseLock
#FreeOurGamesOnVita

@yosp
@amboyes
@giocorsi
@shahidkamal

Magwik

Banned
Wow. So now that we know there's not really any reason that certain PS1 and PSP games aren't on Vita, they take them off? Really god damn lame. Hopefully they put them back up, or some shit storm happens or something.

Yeah, no reason aside from not owning any publishing or licensing rights to the thousands of games that currently don't work on Vita.

bigkrev

Doesn't matter. There are numerous other precedents in the computing and consumer electronics markets.

Most Android games that are available now were released prior to the Samsung Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8. Should someone who purchases a Samsung Galaxy S5 or an HTC One M8 expect to go to the Google Play store and see a barren wasteland because none of the last few years' worth of games were licensed specifically for his model of phone?

No, that is ANDROID. It's the same Operating system.

Should someone who walks out of Best Buy with a shiny new PC boot up Steam and see a virtually empty catalog, just because his exact specific model of PC wasn't on the negotiation table a few years ago?

No, that is WINDOWS. It's the same opperating system

Amazon doesn't need to renegotiate all of their E-book rights individually every time they release a new Kindle.

No, that is LINUX. It's the same operating system

Apple doesn't need to renegotiate iOS apps individually every time they release a new iPhone or iPad.

No, that is iOS. It's the same opperating system

If the PS Vita could be considered a "new and improved model of PSP", then they should be able to grandfather the digital distribution rights to new and compatible hardware, just like Apple, Amazon, Google, and Valve have historically been able to do.

Yes, the Vita is not the PSP2, it does not run PSP firmware. It is a new OS. It would not be grandfathered in with previous, different operating systems.

The closer analogy you are looking for is if I have bought games on a Nokia Symbian OS smartphone, and expect them to work on my Nokia Windows Phone OS smartphone. Would you expect them to work the same, even though the maker of the phone is the same?

Darknight

Can confirm game does not work by transferring from PS3. Game is not compatible with VITA at all unless you got in on this "glitch" or use ISO mod/hack on Vita with one of those exploits.

Anyhow this has to be Sony's biggest fuckups of 2014. How can they flip a switch and allow a bunch of old games to work and then block it again? WOW.

If this doesnt happen officially, this will be something gamers will remember forever as a huge letdown/fuckup by Sony.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Looking back at this, we should have known something wasn't right with this. There was no press release from Sony as something like would have been a noteworthy feature.

Suck but...Sony won't be hurt by this.

decaf

Everyone - we should all tweet @yosp to let him know we want this compatibility restored. He commented on the compatibility in a seemingly positive way shortly after it happened. If enough of us bring it to his attention, we might at least get some kind of vaguely official response on the matter.

Was going to buy renegade squadron =(

well now that this has gotten me hyped for some battlefront I see that Elite squadron was compatible and still is via ps3 transfer but its $20 !

I dont foresee any price drop anytime soon either, any chance it may happen soon? Is there any star wars anniversary coming up anytime soon that might put star wars games on sale? May the 4th is coming up but i doubt they would do anything for that would they?

Really wish it wasnt so expensive

jsnepo

I'm surprised none of the so called journalists or media portal websites have reported on this or did they? They should make a follow through with Sony.

Top Bottom