• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First look at 'Annihilation' (Ex Machina director, Natalie Portman)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lexad

I read the first two books and I thought I had stopped liking reading. Then I read something else and just realized the books are a slog.

The unreliable narrators are too unreliable and way t many shifts between past and present without clear traditions. While I respect that this was intention it didn't work for me.

I do plan on seeing this as Ex machina was amazing and I think this will play better as a movie

I love Vandermeer's City of Saints and Madmen and Ambergris novels. I haven't read these books though. There's nothing like his other books out there though, they're amazing.

Garland's come a long way since winning the Brown Trumpet award on Channel 4's teletext masterpiece Digitiser.

Ex Machina was genuinely great. I hope this can live up to that and that Oscar can tear up the fucking dance floor at least one more time.

the second expedition ended in mass suicide, the third expedition in a hail of gunfire as its members turned on one another. The members of the eleventh expedition returned as shadows of their former selves, and within weeks, all had died of cancer.

Maybe they should just stop sending expeditions.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I remember this book series was listed in one GAF thread as having an unbelievably
disappointing non-ending, lol. Like you read thousands of pages with a promise of some resolution, and in the end - nothing.
If I remember correctly that it was that series, but the description is matching.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Haha I can see this movie biting a ton of people in the ass if they go in expecting what it sounds like people are already talking. I'm curious how they advertise this movie as showing it for what it will most likely be compared to what the synopsis reads like should be interesting. I know going into the first book I had a totally different set of expectations thanks to everyone talking about it and it was not what I was expecting when people were comparing it to stuff like Stalker.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
First book was decent, second I couldn't even get through.

I look forward to the film though.

HStallion

should I read it?

Its a fairly short, quick easy read with some decent prose. I finished it in an afternoon but I read fast. I thought it was pretty bad overall and relies on some paper thin characters to act crazy while being confused with everything going on around them. It was not very good and there are much better stories that cover the same ground.

Euphor!a

Banned
So let me get this right, the send one expedition, it is a disaster. Then they send a second and it is a disaster. Then the send a third and it is a disaster... Why do they keep sending expeditions exactly? What is the motivation for not only sending expeditions but for the people to actually join them?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I hope Natalie Portman can play a biologist more convincingly than an astrophysicist, or a senator.
I'm gonna go ahead and say that an Alex Garland movie is sure to have better writing for her to work with than the Star Wars prequels and Thor movies.

HStallion

So let me get this right, the send one expedition, it is a disaster. Then they send a second and it is a disaster. Then the send a third and it is a disaster... Why do they keep sending expeditions exactly? What is the motivation for not only sending expeditions but for the people to actually join them?

Haha yeah this is not the series to go into hoping for concrete answers.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Gina Rodriguez and Tessa Thompson in the same movie....

m74vkYQ.gif

Wollan

It gets explained in the books.
Don't read:
The zone is growing. Also: Participants are fed mostly need to know information. Some people have significant reasons to go there. Others are 'influenced'.

One of the most anticipated movies for me, I loved the book and was deeply worried it'll end up depicted in a half-assed horror flick, but since Garland is writing/directing I have so much faith and the pictures look great.

I agree with most people here, the second book had some bits but it was a letdown (and I couldn't finish the 3rd). Part of me wants to see Authority on the screen, though :/

P.S. When I read the book, for some reason I always imagined the Psychologist character as Julianne Moore, but I can't complain about JJL. Oscar Isaac will make a perfect 'Control' but since this is the 1st book I'm guessing
Lighthouse keeper or husband?

Audible members, if you're planning on spending a credit, it'd be more efficient to buy the Area X trilogy that packages all three audiobooks as one rather than just the first book. You can stop listening after 6 hours to do just the first book, and if you wanted to listen to the other two, it's better to get them all for one credit total rather than one credit each.

Giolon

Well the premise has me interested! If Alex Gardener can get the same quality performance out of this cast as he did for Ex Machina, it would be great!

I think I bought the first book based on this thread, and have fallen asleep no less than 5 times trying to get through the beginning of the audiobook. I really need to power through it.

Donos

Atmosphere is everything in the books. If they don't lock that down, it's going to fail.
It needs Lost Season 1 vibes.

gforguava

Sucks that we won't be getting it this year, my anticipation for this is off the scale. Brilliant books(people badmouthing the sequels are mad) and although it'll be tricky to pull off, Annihilation should make a stellar film.

tbm24

Movie sounds great! Loving the work Gina Rodriguez is getting too.

Just saw delay news, still looking forward to it.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
A bit of a PSA here:
Ignore the fact there are three books. Just read the first one.

I support this, and I enjoyed all of them.

First book was something else though holy moley. I've never read anything quite like it since.

The photos all have massive instagram filters so I have no idea what the film will look.

I was impressive by Ex Machina's setting but not the story nor the ending, but I will watch this movie.

Its a fairly short, quick easy read with some decent prose. I finished it in an afternoon but I read fast. I thought it was pretty bad overall and relies on some paper thin characters to act crazy while being confused with everything going on around them. It was not very good and there are much better stories that cover the same ground.

Sound like Prometheus sans the Aliens.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Tessa Thompson......uggghhh.
Please put in effort with this role, the movie sounds cool, but some of tessa thompsons....stuff has been really "hammy".

karasu

Natalie Portman bores me in anything that isn't Black Swan. She really doesn't make very interesting choices in her portrayals. Everything is just kind of flat. She cries and it's like what a kid does when it realizes that people think it's cute. So phony. I'll watch it to see how the director has grown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom