• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: Gamescom to be focused on the PS4's lineup

ki/oon

Japanese devs are going to have to show something for PS4 launch at some point, right ?
The lack of annoucements is really starting to puzzle me, and I just can't see games being announced out of nowhere at TGS in late september and being released within this year…

thuway

Japanese devs are going to have to show something for PS4 launch at some point, right ?
The lack of annoucements is really starting to puzzle me, and I just can't see games being announced out of nowhere at TGS in late september and being released within this year…

I wouldn't worry too much about it :).

Guymelef

Also there are a event before TGS for announce details about Japan.
And still don't know if will be released there this year.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
<looks at my Vita>

Some day my friend. Some day you'll be more than a glorified PS1/PSP/Port player. Some day... =(

Maybe a new trailer for Deep Down?

I expect Sony to detail japanese launch at TGS.

In fact when it comes to games the rumor mill is dry. Like bone dry.

This doesn't bode well :(. I was looking forward to them convincing me I absolutely needed one at launch. I'm sure E3 2014 is going to be great though.

There are plenty of tech rumors though. Rumors of a microsoft upclock that seems shaky but is atleast plausible.

You have my attention. I would definitely like to see this one happen. Better looking/running multiplats will be a great thing. And I want to see a Halo game that blows my mind.

The PS4 will have surprises, this I know as fact. The Xbox one will have surprises, though one of them (indie game self publishing) already came out. I don't know of anymore as fact though... but I find it hard to believe they won't.

I'm interested to see what happens when you plug an Xbox 360 into an Xbox One via HDMI-In. For people that have no cable service like me this could be a way to get some janky BC on our next-gen console.

Ishan

I just want the game that will make me buy a ps4 day one . I know killzone looks sweet and infamous will be the bomb when it hits but I think a new ip like resistance for ps3 would have got me more excited ... Killzone seems to have a great backstory which evidently doesn't get expounded upon ... And I like stories in my aaa games . Basically no interest in bf4 or cod.

Would be happy with the ps3 if friend wasn't moving back to turkey with it ... Seems like ill buy the ps4 and get fifa to play with my roommate. And play indies till infamous ...

May pick up killzone if reviews are amazing but fps on consoles aren't reay my thing. As of now inspite of the neg press so far I'm more interested to see how ryse turns out ... Seems like a great setting ... Although gameplay meh...

Still going ps4 .. I know the first parties will deliver .... Just wish something like the order was launch .... I want my next gen new aaa ip fix at launch god damn it.

Boke1879

Your welcome. Gopher knows more than most of us, but I just want to reiterate one point-

Sony's job at Gamescom is to convince you on the launch line up. They are going to showcase close to final builds of Knack, Drive Club, and Shadow Fall. This is the last stop before the short drive towards launch. I would think of Gamescom as the exclamation point on the paragraph that is E3. There's will be punch, there will be dancing, there will be fireworks.

PS4 is ALMOST HERE :).

Sony Bend's next game
Gravity Rush 2
Killzone Mercenary (IMO is technically a second generation Vita Title)
Tearaway

Those all second generation titles in my opinion.

SHORT drive to launch you say? :D I'm hoping for that October release.

Why do you guys need insiders? Use your heads.

Although I disagree with Thuway on the whole "Be excited for E3 2014".

I'm pretty certain we'll be satisfied with the first gen announcements.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Your welcome. Gopher knows more than most of us, but I just want to reiterate one point-

Sony's job at Gamescom is to convince you on the launch line up. They are going to showcase close to final builds of Knack, Drive Club, and Shadow Fall. This is the last stop before the short drive towards launch. I would think of Gamescom as the exclamation point on the paragraph that is E3. There's will be punch, there will be dancing, there will be fireworks.

PS4 is ALMOST HERE :).

which is lovely, but I expect launch preorders mean most people don't need persuading. But IMO they do need to show/tease what is coming next year, to keep up that demand post-launch. This is the last big show before next year.

Hopefully some new games are revealed. Sony kinda blew their load before e3 with their exclusives.

What's sad is that the narrative around here has been completely the opposite. That Microsoft "blew their load" at E3 and announced all their games, and that Sony would steal the show at Gamescom with a bazillion announcements of launch titles. Both lineups are decent, but if we've seen everything from both companies I'm going with the XB1 for launch.

Boke1879

You'd hope so, Knack, Killzone and Driveclub is a pretty weak launch.

They have a lot in the pipeline.

I don't think it's weak per se. Not when we're getting BF4, AC4, and Watch Dogs as well. That's a pretty strong lineup to bolster a console launch in my opinion. Of course I want more, but we also have to remember Sony needs to space out these launches as well so we don't have months where there are no game releases.

Ishan

I don't think it's weak per se. Not when we're getting BF4, AC4, and Watch Dogs as well. That's a pretty strong lineup to bolster a console launch in my opinion. Of course I want more, but we also have to remember Sony needs to space out these launches as well so we don't have months where there are no game releases.

But I'm a greedy pig who wants them all now :mad: grrr

which is lovely, but I expect launch preorders mean most people don't need persuading. But IMO they do need to show/tease what is coming next year, to keep up that demand post-launch. This is the last big show before next year.

No... TGS is arguably more renowned for announcements than GamesCOM.

I just think it'd be silly if they weren't announcing more 2014 PS4 titles at boths events, because the release titles will be out in a matter of what, 4 or months? Now's time to start marketing more of the 2014 lineup.

HORRORSHØW

I'm fairly certain we know of every major retail title between now and spring on both next gen consoles.

Sorry guys. I hope i'm wrong... but there's not a whisper anywhere about anything else sneaking in, other than PSN/XBLA games.
C'est la vie. As long as they show new gameplay footage from their announced titles (Killzone's MP, The Order's gameplay, updated versions of Driveclub and Knack), as well as a release date, I'm good.

Miles X

True about needing support after launch. I just don't think Knack and Driveclub are going to be anything noteworthy at all, they just have generic throwaway written all over them. I suppose PS4 doesn't need a 'killer app' for launch, being cheaper is their ace in the hand.

Still, I would have thought Sony would have done a better job.

Still BF4,Watch Dogs and CoD will mostly carry the launch for PS4.

Maybe I have just been burned too many times by Nintendo but I'm going into this not expecting anything new.

I was happy to pre order with Killzone at launch and Infamous in April plus they have almost every third party game. I think they may keep every other large game announcement for next years E3.

If they show off 5 brand new big budget IP's then it will be a nice surprise but I won't be disappointed if they don't.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The lack of annoucements is really starting to puzzle me, and I just can't see games being announced out of nowhere at TGS in late september and being released within this year&#8230;

I expect TGS to be Japan's coming out party for next gen and I've heard from a few people that Sony is on great terms with a lot of Japanese studios. GC will be building on the launch lineup/announced games and maybe announcing one or two new ones that appeal more to the European/US market.

Maybe I have just been burned too many times by Nintendo but I'm going into this not expecting anything new.

I was happy to pre order with Killzone at launch and Infamous in April plus they have almost every third party game. I think they may keep every other large game announcement for next years E3.

If they show off 5 brand new big budget IP's then it will be a nice surprise but I won't be disappointed if they don't.
I think inFamous is February.

There could be a decent amount for Vita with it still being a PS4 focused show. Mercenary is coming soon and that looks great plus there could be new titles from Bend, cross platform LBP, a new Assassin's Creed, and a price drop.

None of those really excite me except for Bend's possible showing :(
Really want that rumored Demon Souls 2 on vita or, much better yet, Gravity Rush 2

Infamous is a Q1... So should be out before April!

Although... Yeah, scratch that. Difficult to predict release dates so far off still.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
None of those really excite me except for Bend's possible showing :(
Really want that rumored Demon Souls 2 on vita or, much better yet, Gravity Rush 2
It's still considerably more than they usually show on Vita. I could see GR2 and some JRPGs being shown at TGS.

DS2 on Vita was already confirmed fake. It just used that title for the card battle game unveiled at E3.

qko

When I tried it out in the store, it was the definition of garbage. Dreadful resolution, pixelated graphics and the 3D flickered every single time I would move my device so much that it hurt my eyes looking at it. I had to keep it perfectly straight without the slightest tremor for it to be playable. The graphics on the machine are also very unimpressive and I would prefer not to own mediocre hardware. To me, the 3DS vs Vita is tremendously in the Vitas favor hardware wise and it would be a no-brainer decision which to purchase if Vita gets some better games. Hoping that happens this gamescom. I saw a poll from developers in Europe and many were highly interested in developing for Vita. It was one of the most popular systems for developers.

Indie developers. As in "check out my retro indie game that is an homage to the 8-bit era" kind of developer. I have yet to see an indie game push the hardware limits on any console. I've seen a couple of great looking indie games on the PC, but sure as hell not on the Vita.

The 3DS might not be a graphics powerhouse. But the games are there. As they are on the Vita, but the Vita's problem is that a good game gets released every 3-4 months.

Boke1879

True about needing support after launch. I just don't think Knack and Driveclub are going to be anything noteworthy at all, they just have generic throwaway written all over them. I suppose PS4 doesn't need a 'killer app' for launch, being cheaper is their ace in the hand.

You're right. They won't. Knack will most likely be a PS+ offering early next year, but for some reason I see #DriveClub PS+ edition being huge. There is almost no risk. You can download a free version of the game, and if you like it you can purchase the full game.

It's a smart thing to do. You get people to download it, get people invested and then get people to buy the content. Remember that game is all about the community.

the most we can realistically hope for when it comes to any potential unannounced PS4 games is small PSN stuff or F2P ports from PC. (i'm counting PS2 in that, just in case)

if there's no surprise separate Vita event around GC then i think we'll get a few things here and there at the show, but maybe not at the conference.

Ishan

You're right. They won't. Knack will most likely be a PS+ offering early next year, but for some reason I see #DriveClub PS+ edition being huge. There is almost no risk. You can download a free version of the game, and if you like it you can purchase the full game.

It's a smart thing to do. You get people to download it, get people invested and then get people to buy the content. Remember that game is all about the community.

Yup current plan is fifa psn for free driveclub and indies .... Possible killzone / 3rd party depending on reviews

Ishan

the most we can realistically hope for when it comes to any potential unannounced PS4 games is small PSN stuff or F2P ports from PC. (i'm counting PS2 in that, just in case)

if there's no surprise separate Vita event around GC then i think we'll get a few things here and there at the show, but maybe not at the conference.

I'm guessing eqn is announced for ps4 ... It's revealing in a couple of days and the mmo ppl are frothing over it ... So for sure that's comin over and will probably get teased

I do wish inFamous was a launch title.

It would have made sense to do what Microsoft did and push some current gen games they were making into next-gen games - like Dead Rising. But nevermind!

To be honest with the third party support, it'll still be a great launch lineup.

Europeans will be hungry for new next gen racer. That is my reasoning behind why Drive Club is launch title. Evolution Studios have also fairly solid track record so I am not judging the game just yet.

salromano

I wouldn't worry too much about it :).

I'm most curious about this. While PlayStation 4's launch lineup looks great (Knack is my day one purchase next to Watch Pups), it's the Japan-developed games I'm most interested in. I'm hoping we'll see games like Persona 5, that oft-rumored Demon's Souls successor, or a first-party Sony JRPG at TGS.

This thread just shows how drastically people's faith in Sony have changed concerning the vita's situation.

I remember prior to E3 2012, people (including myself) were actually expecting a GTA game to be announced on the vita. The vita has gone from high expectations to cynicism.

Sony has a lot to deal with when it comes to the vita. Its perception has been tarnished almost beyond repair. Its doom is almost predictable and Sony is doing nothing to put it back on the radar. At this rate, the vita will soon be stripped from shelves and sent into oblivion.

So much potential wasted. I hope we see more retail games beyond tearaway, kz and batman.

It's still considerably more than they usually show on Vita. I could see GR2 and some JRPGs being shown at TGS.

DS2 on Vita was already confirmed fake. It just used that title for the card battle game unveiled at E3.

:( on DS2 but its in the realm of future possibilities I'd like to think. GR2 better be made eventually, though it would be a nice treat if it was announced this year :)

Is it common to annouce new games at Gamescom that are getting released in the same year?
I think we won't see anything unannounced for Ps4 or Vita thats coming out in 2013.
But I guess there is a of 2014 stuff to show.

I hope Vita will at least get 2 new, big exclusives titles.
I am pretty sure we will see what BEND was doing since they released Uncharted GA.

For what it's worth, I would at least expect to see Bend's next game and one additional Ubisoft title (Rainbow Six?) shown.

I bet Bend's next game is multiplatform with either ps3 or ps4. Wouldn't do them much good exclusive anyway. It would be very weird that it didnt show up at E3

My expectations for GamesCom:

1. More polished showing of Killzone: Shadow Fall -- now running on final dev kits, with proper high-def models and textures. First showing of the multiplayer - a showing that HOPEFULLY gets more people extremely excited about the game. Also, more polished showings of DriveClub/Knack.

2. At least one new PS4 IP revealed from an AAA developer -- I think Media Molecule's project is too early, and there's probably a higher likelihood that we get teased by Guerrilla Games' new IP -- but I'm expecting at least ONE, hopefully both but I will not cross my fingers.

3. PS4 launch date revealed for US/EU.

Anything more is icing on the cake for me. Insiders, is this a reasonable expectation? Will my mind be further blown?

Top Bottom