• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's watch/rewatch Game Of Thrones together from the start

Whoaaa at S02E09!

Tyrion Lannister
getting cut in his face, I was almost afraid to see him go there! And whoa at that ending, that it turned out that Tywin Lannister had overthrown Stannis' invasion.
How the hell did he do that!?

I wonder what Cersei wanted to do with that
liquid she was prepared to feed her son. Like, was it a poison to kill him so he didn't have to live through the horrible nightmare playing out in front of them? I can't remember what 1 drop, 3 drops or even what 10 drops does
?

Tywin teamed up with the Tyrell's who have a huge army so it was easy for them to overwhelm the forces on the beach, especially after the wildfire attack.

Cersei was 100% trying to kill her son to prevent him from the savagery of what an invading army might do to him. I believe the line was "A single drop added to a cup of wine will calm frayed nerves, and three drops will put a person into a deep, dreamless sleep. Ten drops, even diluted into a cup of wine, are fatal"

Season 3 Episode 1
Night's Watch seem to have been decimated. It's hard to get a gauge on who is left defending the wall. Seems like pretty dire times.

Love the gratuitous CG giant at the wilding camp. The fake out with the wildling leader being the second guy is such a cliche move but what can you do.

I have a hard time reading Margaery. Is she actually a good person? Or, is she just doing things to further her position. Based on the nature of GRRM universe I'm leaning towards the latter.

I really don't see where Stannis goes from here. Rebuild his army and attack the same city again? Doesn't seem likely.

Of course Daenerys is saved from her own stupidity again. However, I like that Barristan meets up with Daenerys. He was an interesting character in Season 1, hopefully he livens things up a little bit for her story.

gun_haver

Game of Thrones is pretty much the only show of it's level to have done recasting of fairly major characters. They're kind of forced too if, for whatever reason, an actor isn't working out/can't continue, because they are following the books to a great extent and sometimes the option of rewriting something seems less desirable than keeping a character and putting a different face to it. They haven't had to do it much, but it is pretty odd to see because shows don't really do this anymore. In a show with no source material, they'd just kill the character off.

Pachimari

Tywin teamed up with the Tyrell's who have a huge army so it was easy for them to overwhelm the forces on the beach, especially after the wildfire attack.

Cersei was 100% trying to kill her son to prevent him from the savagery of what an invading army might do to him. I believe the line was "A single drop added to a cup of wine will calm frayed nerves, and three drops will put a person into a deep, dreamless sleep. Ten drops, even diluted into a cup of wine, are fatal"

I thought that Stannis had gotten
Renly's army (thus Tyrell's army) and used them to invade King's Landing?

Also, I just finished Season 2 for the first time and wow was this a great trip. I couldn't stop watching. That final episode had lots of stuff going on. I assume that these
dead people by the end in the North were the White Walkers, and that I have finally seen them wow, didn't expect to see them until season six or seven.

I don't know what to expect from Season 3 going into it, as I have heard nothing about it, but I hope it it up there with the first two seasons.

I thought that Stannis had gotten
Renly's army (thus Tyrell's army) and used them to invade King's Landing?

It's a bit vague but the scene with Littlefinger and Tywin, they talk about recruiting the Tyrell's. I sort of missed that because I was more focused on Arya trying to hide from Littlefinger. You can tell its the Tyrell's because Loras Tyrell is leading the calvary charge. Not an easy detail to pick up in the heat of the moment.

Altazor

keep those impressions coming, guys! :D

S3 was somewhat of a mixed bag for me at first (comparing the source material to what actually managd to get on screen... let's say it was somewhat disappointing) but somehow got stronger and stronger as it went by. Episode 9, however.... oh yeah.

You gotta know, episode 9 of each season is supposed to be the climax - it's like this typical HBO thing where the penultimate episode of the seasons is the one with the big emotional punch and the season finale is more about winding down and setting things up for the next season.
There's a couple of exceptions, though: S7 and S8 are shorter so there won't be an "episode 9" so to speak, and S5's "epic episode" isn't episode 9.

Pachimari

I don't remember Barristan Selmy at all but it's been a year since I watched the first season, so that's probably why. He seems like a cool lad though. And wow have Daenerys' dragons grown faster than I had imagined they would. She's probably gonna be a force to be reckoned with in season five or six I think. Man, I really think she have no rights to the iron throne, she don't even have any allies or stuff in Westeros, and here she wants to come knocking down them gates at King's Landing.

Season 3 Episode 2
Warg huh? The more this series goes on the more fantastical it gets.

James Cosmo is such a badass actor. Loved him in everything I've seen him in. Lots of great Scottish actors in this series.

Bran Stark really grew up between Series 2 and 3. It's quite a "stark" difference when binge watching heh.

More on him, so the raven does mean something? I had almost forgotten about it. Bran is a warg. I wonder if he was born that way or the fall had something to do with it.

Hard to care about Theon at this point after all the dumb stuff he did. Torture away guys.

Looks like Brienne's morals are going to be there undoing by letting the farmer go. No good deed goes unpunished in this world apparently.

I see Gendry had the same thoughts as me on why Arya wasted insta kills on lowly unimportant people.

No Daenerys is a good thing.

TheExodu5

Banned
Season 2 Episode 10

White walkers revealed for real. Why didn't they kill Sam? I wonder if that has any significance.

No reason at all. The White Walker segment in the books is so much cooler. They're not portrayed as slow moving dimwitted zombies like they are in the show.

Altazor

Season 3 Episode 2
Warg huh? The more this series goes on the more fantastical it gets.

Bran Stark really grew up between Series 2 and 3. It's quite a "stark" difference when binge watching heh.

More on him, so the raven does mean something? I had almost forgotten about it. Bran is a warg. I wonder if he was born that way or the fall had something to do with it.

1- yeah, that's one of the things about the saga - magic starts to return to the world after (it's a S1 spoiler, just tagging for those who've just started watching)
the dragons hatched. Or could that be a symptom and not the cause, hm...?
keep on watching!

2- LOL yeah, time waits for no one.

3- It means something, keep on watching ;)

Pachimari

Lol I didn't notice a difference with Bran going straight from Season 2 to S03E01, I shall keep an eye on him. I think it's cool that
he is a warg and can see visions, and that three-eyed raven have always been so interesting. Hopefully they unravel the full meaning of it this season.

They can also kill Theon Greyjoy for all I care. Just end him already please.

I do like Daenerys' scenes in this show but I don't feel like she deserves to sit on that throne.

Season 3 Episode 3
I had a good laugh at how crude the slaver trader is. Now thats "locker room" talk.

The wildings plan seems ill conceived at best. 20 men to take the wall? Even from behind they'd still have to scale a defended wall. One archer could take out most of them.

I see that Podrick is a GAF member.

Man I could go for some brown bread. Glad Hot Pie seemed to have a happy ending even if was a fat little shit in Season 1.

I did a double take when Jaime's hand got chopped off. It happened so fast I wasn't sure what happened.

Altazor

Hot Pie's the best.

Also, the guy who
chopped Jaime's hand
was so much cooler in the book - he was this ugly, evil bastard with a lisp called Vargo Hoat. It was incredibly funny 'cause you contrasted all this evil shit he did (and he was one cruel, sadistic bastard) with the fact that he sounded ridiculous every time he talked.

(actual quotes from the book):

The goat was seated by a cookfire eating a half-cooked bird off a skewer, grease and blood running down his fingers into his long stringy beard. He wiped his hands on his tunic and rose. "Kingthlayer," he slobbered. "You are my captifth."

"That was amuthing, Kingthlayer," said Vargo Hoat, "but if you try it again, I thall take your other hand, or perhapth a foot."

Pachimari

Goddamn at that ending to S03E03. I didn't see that coming, wowza.

I hope one day Arya gets to come back to visit Hot Pie and eat bread with him. But crap what an ugly wolf he had made lol.

But these Lannister children and Catelyn's uncle seemed to pop up out of nowhere. I don't remember them from anywhere. Were they recently introduced or talked about in Season 3?

Lulubop

S4-9:
I've noticed that the 9th episode of a season seems to be the where they go all out, huh? Pretty good, though it felt like the Night Watch had more than a 100 soldiers or the wildlings had less than 100k. Still good stuff, Snow did a lot of redeeming for me in Season 4.

Edit: Next episode Mence says he sent just 400 men for the wall, that makes sense.

I decided to start rewatching S1 yesterday.

Littlefinger is talking normally. No rasp. No whispering. Just talking..... As people do. When the hell did he descend into that voice?

Also S01E03 - Nan's story
Are we ever going to get to see ice spiders as big as hounds?? Damnit, I've been invested for 7 years waiting for these bastard spiders!!

Travo

Hot Pie's the best.

Also, the guy who
chopped Jaime's hand
was so much cooler in the book - he was this ugly, evil bastard with a lisp called Vargo Hoat. It was incredibly funny 'cause you contrasted all this evil shit he did (and he was one cruel, sadistic bastard) with the fact that he sounded ridiculous every time he talked.

(actual quotes from the book):

The goat was seated by a cookfire eating a half-cooked bird off a skewer, grease and blood running down his fingers into his long stringy beard. He wiped his hands on his tunic and rose. "Kingthlayer," he slobbered. "You are my captifth."

"That was amuthing, Kingthlayer," said Vargo Hoat, "but if you try it again, I thall take your other hand, or perhapth a foot."
Saffires!

Altazor

I decided to start rewatching S1 yesterday.

Littlefinger is talking normally. No rasp. No whispering. Just talking..... As people do. When the hell did he descend into that voice?

Also S01E03 - Nan's story
Are we ever going to get to see ice spiders as big as hounds?? Damnit, I've been invested for 7 years waiting for these bastard spiders!!

aw hell naw

I have arachnophobia, so I hope they don't appear ;_;

Lulubop

On 5-7,
Man, Sansa has got it worse than anyone throughout this whole thing.
I hope she gets her redemption.

Season 3 Episode 4
Jaime saving Brienne from rape was an unexpected character move. Has he really changed?

Nice little mindfuck for Theon there. He deserves it.

Jeez, Night's Watch is falling apart. Although what can you expect for a band of murderers/thieves/rapists. Sad that Mormont got killed, I really liked the character.

I really don't see the Hound losing to some dude with one eye.

You have to be kidding me with Daenerys. So she pays for a huge expensive army with a dragon but the dragon immediately kills its new owner and returns to her. So she got it for free without doing anything other than listening to some hilariously over the top insults.

Season 3 Episode 5

The Hound won just as I expected. Kind of crazy how the other guy was resurrected immediately.

Jon Snow and Ygritte sexy time. I was wondering when that was going to happen. I wonder what will happen between them when its revealed he is a spy.

I feel like the guy playing Grey Worm is miscast. An awesome warrior bred since a child shouldn't be some small string bean. Minor nitpick I suppose.

Rickard Karstark is a real piece of shit and is constantly messing things up for Robb.

What was with Bolton's weird fake out with Jaime telling him his family is perfectly fine? It's like something out of a cheesy sitcom. Is that in the book?

Can't say I'm a fan of Queen Selyse. Fanatics aren't really interesting to me. Their daughter though, I'd like to see more of her.

Why is Davos called Onion Knight? I must have missed that.

Crispy75

Season 3 Episode 5

Why is Davos called Onion Knight? I must have missed that.

It's explained in S2E9
On the way to the Battle of the Blackwater, Stannis and Davos talk about it. During Robert's Rebellion, Stannis was under seige at Storm's End, a costal fortress. They'd eaten the dogs, the horses, their shoes etc and were about to die of starvation. Davos, with his smuggling skills, managed to get a shipment of onions past the seige, ensuring that they survived the war. Stannis knighted him in return

It's explained in S2E9
On the way to the Battle of the Blackwater, Stannis and Davos talk about it. During Robert's Rebellion, Stannis was under seige at Storm's End, a costal fortress. They'd eaten the dogs, the horses, their shoes etc and were about to die of starvation. Davos, with his smuggling skills, managed to get a shipment of onions past the seige, ensuring that they survived the war. Stannis knighted him in return

I vaguely remember that conversation, guess I missed the bit about the onions!

Season 3 Episode 6
I'm still unclear how The Wall was even built. How do you "build" 700 feet of ice exactly? Magical ice machine?

Ros getting thrown away to be killed by Joffrey is some serious retribution for betrayal.

Valar Morgulis indeed. What is the tie between Melisandre and Jaqen? I've got to be missing something.

Really liked Littlefingers monologue about "The Climb" at the end. Tied everything together nicely.

Lots of weddings which one will be(later Season 3 spoiler)
The Red Wedding
. I guess I'll find out pretty soon.

NandoGip

S1E6

Theon being brave makes me think thats how his arc will loop back around at the end of the series.
Edit:

Also how did the
Dothraki wind up with the Dragon eggs?

S1E6

Theon being brave makes me think thats how his arc will loop back around at the end of the series.
Edit:

Also how did the
Dothraki wind up with the Dragon eggs?
it was a wedding gift for Dany and Drogo, I think all he said was they came from Asshai

Season 2 Episode 9Great episode. I feel like it was somewhat diminished the scale of things because I watched on my phone but I can see why this would have been a huge deal way back when this episode aired originally.

giphy.gif

Neece

Season 3 Episode 5

I feel like the guy playing Grey Worm is miscast. An awesome warrior bred since a child shouldn't be some small string bean. Minor nitpick I suppose.

The unsullied aren't supposed to be physically big warriors, because they have been castrated from childhood. They are supposed to be on the smallish, petite side, but have great technique/skills and feel no pain/fear, which is what makes them fearsome warriors.

This show should not be watched on such a small screen. Find a "stream" and watch it that way instead while running the ep on your phone or something, so they still get the money.

How would finding a "stream" help me watch it on anything bigger than a macbook air? Not really sure what you are suggesting.

Season 3 Episode 7
The Hound captures Arya. Let's see where this goes. They are kind of made for each other.

Theon gets his cock cut off. Eh, still don't care, he deserves it.

I'm getting quite a bit of ominous foreshadowing with Robb and Talisa. WAAAY too much good stuff happening to them. In this world your luck doesn't last very long.

Daenerys has quite the challenge in front of her to take Yunkai with its million foot high walls. I'm sure there is some stupid Deus Ex Machina that will help her take the city without losing a single soldier.

Jaime saves Brienne again. Seems like they developed a genuine friendship. Although I guess Jaime felt guilt because his lie about sapphires doomed her to that bear fight.

Ithil

Season 3 Episode 1
Night's Watch seem to have been decimated. It's hard to get a gauge on who is left defending the wall. Seems like pretty dire times.

Love the gratuitous CG giant at the wilding camp. The fake out with the wildling leader being the second guy is such a cliche move but what can you do.

I have a hard time reading Margaery. Is she actually a good person? Or, is she just doing things to further her position. Based on the nature of GRRM universe I'm leaning towards the latter.

I really don't see where Stannis goes from here. Rebuild his army and attack the same city again? Doesn't seem likely.

Of course Daenerys is saved from her own stupidity again. However, I like that Barristan meets up with Daenerys. He was an interesting character in Season 1, hopefully he livens things up a little bit for her story.

Fun fact,
the giant is not CG, it's a huge stuntman in a big costume with stilts

Altazor

Season 3 Episode 7
Jaime saves Brienne again. Seems like they developed a genuine friendship. Although I guess Jaime felt guilt because his lie about sapphires doomed her to that bear fight.

That moment was great in the book. I thought the TV version kinda paled in comparison but, eh, at least
the didn't skimp on showing the bear "fight"
Actual quote from the book:

‘Ser Jaime?’ Even in soiled pink satin and torn lace, Brienne looked more like a man in a gown than a proper woman. ‘I am grateful, but…you were well away. Why come back?’

A dozen quips came to mind, each crueler than the one before, but Jaime only shrugged. ‘I dreamed of you,’ he said.

<3

Ithil

Really? The whole time. How exactly did they film him hammering the mammoth tusks/bones in to the ground without CG?

CG was only used to composite him in the scene with others scaled up even bigger than he was, the actual costume is practical

giant-neil-fingleton.nocrop.w670.h448.jpg

latest

Season 3 Episode 8
Of course, Daario Naharis hands the Second Sons to Daenerys without her having to lose a single soldier or even lift a finger.

So the White Walker insta kill is obsidian weapons? Kind of mitigates their fear factor. Although I don't know how ubiquitous that stuff is. Pretty sure Sam left the dagger behind too.

I wonder if GAF has a leech fetish thread somewhere in Community.

lol at "The God of Tits and Wine"

Now that Tyrion is married I don't think Shae will stay with him. I don't really see how that relationship will play out successfully.

Season 3 Episode 9
So finally got to The Red Wedding. That's the last spoiler I know about the series so its somewhat of a relief. I had a feeling it was going to be the Starks who got it. Too much good stuff happening to them in the prior episodes and then there is all the fuckery with Rickard. I guess its up to Bran to carry on the family line although he is in mystical crazy land with his new pals.

Of course there is a easily accessed lightly defended back door to Yunkai. Every city with enormous walls has one of those right?

Jon Snow kills the dude from The Office. He got what he deserved. It'll be interesting to see how Ygritte and Jon interact at the impending battle at Castle Black.

Osha and Rickon split off the group. Jeez, are we going to get yet another side story to follow? Although I guess several other ones just ended with Robb, Talisa, and Catelyn dying.

Altazor

Now you finally reached that point!

I remember being shook when watching that episode. I had been expecting it, obviously, considering I'd read the books between S1 and S2, so I knew what was coming - and while the TV version of that event was a bit smaller in scale than its book counterpart, I think they did a pretty damn good job of translating how
absolutely violent and heartbreaking it is to read
. Had I read the physical version of the book, I would've thrown it across the room, but considering I had an ebook reader... I wasn't going to break that thing, lol
Oh man, the
slow feeling of dread rising and rising until you start to hear "The Rains of Castamere" and you know shit is about to start to hit the fan, then Cat discovers Roose has chainmail. And those cold eyes look at her not givin a shit. THEN all hell breaks loose. Such a good sequence. Harrowing, but good.

Now you finally reached that point!

I remember being shook when watching that episode. I had been expecting it, obviously, considering I'd read the books between S1 and S2, so I knew what was coming - and while the TV version of that event was a bit smaller in scale than its book counterpart, I think they did a pretty damn good job of translating how
absolutely violent and heartbreaking it is to read
. Had I read the physical version of the book, I would've thrown it across the room, but considering I had an ebook reader... I wasn't going to break that thing, lol
Oh man, the
slow feeling of dread rising and rising until you start to hear "The Rains of Castamere" and you know shit is about to start to hit the fan, then Cat discovers Roose has chainmail. And those cold eyes look at her not givin a shit. THEN all hell breaks loose. Such a good sequence. Harrowing, but good.
yeah I thought it was shot really well. The darkness of the room, the building tension, and Arya right outside about to reunite with her family

Season 3 Episode 10
So Bolton is the new Warden of the North? I'm expecting things to not turn out well for him in the end.

Is this whole Greyjoy storyline going somewhere? Theon is permanently broken, Balon is a worthless old hack who sits in his castle in the middle of nowhere. Can't see how this matters to the overall picture at all.

Joffrey is such a miserable twisted bastard. He's gone nuclear. I wonder who will take him out. I'm assuming this is some intentional parallel to the Mad King

As far as I can tell Ygritte was not trying to kill Jon Snow with those arrows. Not sure what her goal was. Try to reason with him? Run off with him to escape the coming battle?

I'm guessing the story of the Rat's Cook was foreshadowing something.

Mhysa? Fuck off.

It's so strange, I loved the first 3 seasons and couldn't wait for the 4th, but in the meantime I just completely lost all interest in the show and never watched another episode again. Is it worth getting back into at all or is it just more of the same?

Definitely watch it.

Seasons 4, 6, and 7 are the high points of the show in my opinion.

Top Bottom