• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 | The 'Verse Awakens

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I just for some reason recall them saying they were going to hit 2017 but I could be totally misremembering

Nah, they had been running with 2016 for a while (had it at the end of a trailer and on the pledge page), but when they announced they weren't going to hit that, they didn't commit to a new date. Lots of sites said "probably 2017", but that was just their guess.

Edit: nope, I'm wrong, they currently have it showing 2017 at the bottom of this page.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/squadron42

They haven't put out a release date for SQ42. Never said anything about 2017 being set date. It could come out 2018 or it could come out in 2019 it seems pretty fluid, makes to me in reality. They aren't under no obligation to put themselves in a 'It has to release during this time" box. Just make sure it's polished and something that will turn out to be a solid product. Kind of a double edged sword really. You take a bit more time to maybe make the game better overall. Although on the flipside, taking that time could present some reputational issues given the length and lack of updates, under that theoretical new release time. An the game doesn't turn out as-well, maybe due to the story or gameplay.

I can sense CIG's caution in those regards. Still they're going to have to release SQ42, at least to have a viable product on the market to change the general perception of the studio itself outside the community and show that quality is the standard for their output and justify their hard work. But luckily enough for the community at large, they'll be playing 3.O in the mean time.

Case in point; any date you see is most likely going to be an estimation. Until you see a commercial or advert or tune in during Citizen-con. That's the way you will hear about it. Either way it won't matter unless we hear the words "gone gold".

I hope they will show us their internal schedule for SQ42 just like 3.X to 4.0. Would prove a point.

What's going on with the demo for SQ42 they were hoping to show at CitizenCon last year, and then hoped to show it at the anniversary stream? Was anything mentioned about it after that?

What's going on with the demo for SQ42 they were hoping to show at CitizenCon last year, and then hoped to show it at the anniversary stream? Was anything mentioned about it after that?

This is what their explanation was; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRsF6_lwLas

I totally understand their reasoning for not putting it out into the public. When you compare the relatively negative reaction they got towards the marrow tour, at least outside the community. Even when it was explained beforehand that it was super early stuff. Still they could have informed us sooner that there was a possibility of it missing Citizencon.

How's a OC 980 / 3770K @ 4.5 for running the current build, bit shaky?

I wouldn't put to much stock into the current builds performance. But yeah even with that set-up it will be pretty shaky, so performance may vary. Though it may depend on what mode you are playing. We may or should see some improvements in that area in 3.0.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
How's a OC 980 / 3770K @ 4.5 for running the current build, bit shaky?

Fine for 1080p/60 in single player. The problem is everyone gets lower framerates in multiplayer due to some single-threaded components that are getting bogged down. Those probably won't be fixed yet in 3.0.

Fine for 1080p/60 in single player. The problem is everyone gets lower framerates in multiplayer due to some single-threaded components that are getting bogged down. Those probably won't be fixed yet in 3.0.

Actually it might be "fixed" or at least improved in 3.0 or patched in at a later date. Since they decided to push up other new underlying network components/code like serial variables and the like. So that bind-culling isn't the only thing helping their network infrastructure, that should allow us to play with more people beyond six to fifteen players, without slowing to a crawl.

Should be interesting to see, what StarNetwork 2.0 can handle.

This is what their explanation was; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRsF6_lwLas

I totally understand their reasoning for not putting it out into the public. When you compare the relatively negative reaction they got towards the marrow tour, at least outside the community. Even when it was explained beforehand that it was super early stuff. Still they could have informed out sooner that there was a possibility of it missing Citizencon.

I know that it wasn't shown because it wasn't ready in time and that's fine, but i was under the impression that they were trying to get it finished off so they could show it later on. I remember Chris said there was a chance of it being shown in the anniversary steam but that didn't happen either. Did they say anything about it after that?

You mean the mystical, magical one that was super ready but pulled because it wasn't perfect enough in favor of an extra janky planetary demo?

Still no clue, but we have seen about a minute of what could possibly be parts of it.

I know that it wasn't shown because it wasn't ready in time and that's fine, but i was under the impression that they were trying to get it finished off so they could show it later on. I remember Chris said there was a chance of it being shown in the anniversary steam but that didn't happen either. Did they say anything about it after that?

Nope, but i think they learned a lesson.

Just make it a surprise or have it go unannounced then show it and don't try to hype it up and then not say much of anything about it not being ready, until after the event or during.

iHaunter

I just for some reason recall them saying they were going to hit 2017 but I could be totally misremembering

I remember it being "Aiming" rather than hard-release.

But either way, even back in 2016 I predicted a 2018 release. I hope they delay and don't release it unpolished.

We all remember Mass Effect Andromeda...

elyetis

It was cancelled, not long after CitizenCon but to stay true to their usual habits of waiting till the last second when it comes to bad news, they waited the Star Citizen Newsletter - Holiday Livestream! of December 16th, 2016 to tell us about it.

After we made the decision before CitizenCon that the Squadron 42 vertical slice wasn't ready to be shown publically, we spent some time on reviewing how far off we were and what we wanted to achieve in order to be comfortable showing a full chapter of S42 gameplay. After all the effort we expended for CitizenCon, we didn't want to spend additional developer time polishing intermediate solutions if it wasn't going towards the final product. A slick demo isn't that helpful if it pushes back the finished game, so we decided that the priority should be completing full systems over getting the vertical slice into a showable state.

Nah, they had been running with 2016 for a while (had it at the end of a trailer and on the pledge page), but when they announced they weren't going to hit that, they didn't commit to a new date. Lots of sites said "probably 2017", but that was just their guess.

It says "Squadron42: Answer the Call 2017" on their website at the moment though?

Maybe it's old. Maybe changing that one small line might trigger an overblown reaction from certain people and entire threads might get started based on wild speculation.

Yep that's the bullshit that would transpire. Because SQ42 was delayed again OMG. Even though its been repeated many times. An CIG forwarned that any date is a estimation and has been since 2012. This is the tech world and doing something ambitions on a unmove-able timeline is like oil and water.

Yet people are total fine with other games having more time to be worked on. But CIG can't have that luxury nope...it's bullocks. Though it should be noted that most of the people saying this aren't even backers. They're holding CIG over a traditional publisher owned pit-fire. When they are a private company and are independent like the vast majority of the community wanted and have that flexibility. To finish when it's ready.

Still the hate boner that seems to be cultivated towards this game that boarders on, a derek smart type agenda. Everything that CIG gives as a estimation (regardless of what CR says, with release dates, he's an optimistic at heart. Said so himself to his own detriment). Is somehow then a hard date and if they miss it, something horrible must have gone wrong. It makes no sense.

Some people have a unreasonable hate boner for this project. An this is from a cross referencing aspect. The things people say or project on this game is perplexing. I mean people could assert some real criticisms but release dates on a active development game. With a studio that only been around for 4 to 5 years, as they make two games is nuts.

That's just reminding everyone what the current year is, I'm sure.

No, it was probably the original goal date. But after there was a big positive reaction and engagement from the community in the PU, bare-bones as it is, I am willing to wager that they focused more on the mechanics and PU armature than the raw production work for SQ42. I'm still hopeful, though!

No, it was probably the original goal date. But after there was a big positive reaction and engagement from the community in the PU, bare-bones as it is, I am willing to wager that they focused more on the mechanics and PU armature than the raw production work for SQ42. I'm still hopeful, though!

That's really not true, last holiday stream they said they were still white boxing the campaign missions. Meaning the whole thing was very far off, not to mention major parts of the campaign like AI have been shown to be barely functioning at this point.

KKRT00

That's really not true, last holiday stream they said they were still white boxing the campaign missions. Meaning the whole thing was very far off, not to mention major parts of the campaign like AI have been shown to be barely functioning at this point.

The AI stuff was mostly related to Subsumptions systems responsible for 24h schedule AI though.
We saw that they are testing S42 missions for a while now.
I still think that 2017 is realistic, but i think they wont rush it, just give us playable Vertical Slice mission this year instead and use few extra months to polish campaign more.

Shy

?
My post is pretty self explanatory.

A whole townhall stream about character customisation. And not one subscriber felt the need to ask a very important question.

Apparently a more important question is whether or not you can get fucking cybernetic implants, than about if real life human beings are going to decently represented. FFS.

Like i said. Gamers are scum of the earth.
Yep the bullshit that would transpire. Because SQ42 was delayed again OMG. Even though jts been repeated many times. That CIG forwarned that any date is a estimation and has been since 2012. This is the tech world and doing something ambitions on a unmove-able timeline is like old and water.

Yet people are total fine with other games having more time to be worked on. But CIG can't have that luxury nope...it's bullocks. Though it should be noted that most if the people saying this aren't even backers. They're holding CIG over a traditional publisher owned pit-fire. When they are a private company and are independent like the vast majority of the community wanted and have that flexibility. To finish when it's ready.

Still the hate boner that seems to be cultivated towards this game that boarders on, a derek smart type agenda. Everything that CIG gives as a estimation (regardless of what CR says, with release dates, he's an optimistic at heart. Said so himself to his own detriment). Is in fact a hard date and if they miss it something horrible must have gone wrong. It makes no sense.

Some people have a unreasonable hate boner for this project. An this is from a cross referencing aspect. The things people say or project on this game is perplexing. I mean people could attack some real criticisms but release dates on a active development game. With a studio that only been around for 4 to 5 years, as they make two games is nuts.
That has always confused me (and not just when it's applied to SC) how some games get a free pass on delays but others get absolutely railroaded (unfairly or not)

?

A whole townhall stream about character customisation. And not one subscriber felt the need to ask a very important question.

Apparently a more important question is whether or not you can get fucking cybernetic implants, than about if real life human beings are going to decently represented. FFS.

You know the quesitons about cybernetics are fine and all in the context of not being town hall questions. Like... there are answers already to half of the questions out there that were asked... (CR has said for ages taht death of a spaceman means cybernetics) there is also fucking commons sense. Like... how on earth could you conceal armour under clothing given its bulk? Not even just a technical consideration for engine dev, but a visual and logical /spatial one that your brain can figure out without wasting a town hall question. Those guys were technically-minded and artistically-minded devs... not game designers.. .yet the questions they chose were nigh universally terrible for the crew there.

Here is a cool quesiton that gets to the point of yours and is germane to the people on the panel: "What challenges are you guys experiencing, technically and artistically in rendering different hair types: short curls, long wavey hair? Can we expect our own hair to be well represented in game (I have a 3C hair)?"

That has always confused me (and not just when it's applied to SC) how some games get a free pass on delays but others get absolutely railroaded (unfairly or not)

I do not think I have ever been annoyed by a game being delayed. The only thing that I have felt is a feeling of trpidation as I wonder whether the development is too troubled and teh game is unredeemable mess (read ME: Andromeda).

Shy

You know the quesitons about cybernetics are fine and all in the context of not being town hall questions. Like... there are answers already to half of the questions out there that were asked... (CR has said for ages taht death of a spaceman means cybernetics) there is also fucking commons sense. Like... how on earth could you conceal armour under clothing given its bulk? Not even just a technical consideration for engine dev, but a visual and logical /spatial one that your brain can figure out without wasting a town hall question. Those guys were technically-minded and artistically-minded devs... not game designers.. .yet the questions they chose were nigh universally terrible for the crew there.

Here is a cool quesiton that gets to the point of yours and is germane to the people on the panel: "What challenges are you guys experiencing, technically and artistically in rendering different hair types: short curls, long wavey hair? Can we expect our own hair to be well represented in game (I have a 3C hair)?"
It not just hair though. It's also skin tone. Which i (and other people of colour) can never get right, because there never enough options.

And the question in and of themselves are fine. But it's very frustrating when you're sitting there and not a single important question about whether i'm going to to be able to make someone who looks like me. Is asked.

It's so very tiring.
I do not think I have ever been annoyed by a game being delayed. The only thing that I have felt is a feeling of trpidation as I wonder whether the development is too troubled and teh game is unredeemable mess (read ME: Andromeda).
I can agree with that.

KKRT00

?

Dont you watch AtVs?
https://youtu.be/9R3klQqaR1s?t=491
https://youtu.be/xKRX0ZwzXqk?t=591
https://youtu.be/L4m2nwn5wT8?t=586
https://youtu.be/L4m2nwn5wT8?t=711
https://youtu.be/vQsgKBaYKoo?t=13
there are way more examples of different types of characters in the past episodes.

Maybe people did not ask questions that they knew answers already?

Also do not understand part abour hair as well, as hair is ugly right now (they know it) and many types of hairs are not supported yet.

It's so very tiring.

As far as I know, they are working on black hair and will include it (but perhaps not in the first 3.0 release). I remember someone specifically asking this, maybe even a few months back.
With skin color, that is already pretty evident in the various demos of their DNA system they showed: capability to apply from a wise selection of POC skin color, and facial features to mix and match.

atpbx

It not just hair though. It's also skin tone. Which i (and other people of colour) can never get right, because there never enough options.

And the question in and of themselves are fine. But it's very frustrating when you're sitting there and not a single important question about whether i'm going to to be able to make someone who looks like me. Is asked.

It's so very tiring.

I can agree with that.

This isn't a nit picking point, or a smart arse one so bare with me.

Do you actually try and make a representation of yourself when you have these options then?

Because every time I have these options I never make them look like me, I've been all sorts, white, black, Asian, Hispanic, male, female, long hair, short hair, beards, stubble, piercings, tattoos...

What ever I've felt looks cool at the time. I've never tried to make me outside of when I play FIFA, because I always wanted to be a footballer growing up.

Shy

Dont you watch AtVs?
https://youtu.be/9R3klQqaR1s?t=491
https://youtu.be/xKRX0ZwzXqk?t=591
https://youtu.be/L4m2nwn5wT8?t=586
https://youtu.be/L4m2nwn5wT8?t=711
https://youtu.be/vQsgKBaYKoo?t=13
there are way more examples of different types of characters in the past episodes.

Maybe people did not ask questions that they knew answers already?
I don't remember those. Sorry.
Also do not understand part abour hair as well, as hair is ugly right now (they know it) and many types of hairs are not supported yet.
And i can appreciate, i would just like to know they're aware of the situation.
As far as I know, they are working on black hair and will include it (but perhaps not in the first 3.0 release). I remember someone specifically asking this, maybe even a few months back.
With skin color, that is already pretty evident in the various demos of their DNA system they showed: capability to apply from a wise selection of POC skin color, and facial features to mix and match.
That's very good to hear. Thanks.
This isn't a nit picking point, or a smart arse one so bare with me.

Do you actually try and make a representation of yourself when you have these options then?

Because every time I have these options I never make them look like me, I've been all sorts, white, black, Asian, Hispanic, male, female, long hair, short hair, beards, stubble, piercings, tattoos...

What ever I've felt looks cool at the time. I've never tried to make me outside of when I play FIFA, because I always wanted to be a footballer growing up.
Ohh yes. I'm very particular about making my avatar look like me.
it usually takes me between an hour and forty to two hours to make my guy. it's an obsession, i can't start to play the game till i'm absolutely happy with it. (and even then i still nitpick, afterwards)

which is why i really want them to release the character creator early, so i can take as long as i need to make my guy, then just import him to SQ42 when it comes out. Without having to waste any potential game time on it

While lucky for us the game is in progress and CIG is open and can talk about their issues, if contacted for a story. Without it being top serect. Like they explained in 2015 to Kotaku in thag article. That they did have issues and managment problems and engine holdups and some bad apples within the studio and general growing pains. But they made a effort to work through that and restructure thesmelves to be more proactive and productive. Something that seems to be the case now, abit with a few bumps along the way.

On the flipside, EA/Bioware oddly decided to allow a relatively in-experienced team to make another major franchise in Mass effect.

Instead of Bioware Edmonton, who head moved onto Anthem. There appeared to be tension between the two studios and industry politics reared it's head. A issue that may have been avoided if the studio had done something else more in their wheelhouse. Instead we had a studio a bit over its head going about it all wrong. Before they changed scope in 2015 -way too late-and quickly founf out that. They didn't have the luxury to ask for more time under a publisher deadline.

After spending all that time and money being overly ambitious and backtracking hard.

But unfornately for them it was too late and the PR hype campaign had already begun and they were boned and the suits were betting on the Hype+BelovedFranchise = profit margins.

Sidenote: Its crazy how many armchair financial experts there werd in that thread. Claiming so confident once again that CIG has cash flow issues or whatever else. Because something must be going wrong of course...loans are bad. Its crazy. This is the reason why most studios that will or have tried their hand at open development will do it far more lightly. Being transparent seems to quickly turn into not being transparent enough for those outside the community.

KKRT00

And i can appreciate, i would just like to know they're aware of the situation.
Aware of what exactly? I just wrote that they know that their hair tech sucks and that they will expanding it and hair selection. They even talked about it in this townhall.
Tons of hair have to be included yet.
Generally if they will nail the tech down for extreme cases than making more types of hairs will be quite easy for that as this universal asset across all models, so making additional like 30-40 of them should be fast for as long, as they have good tech and pipeline for it.

Aware of what exactly? I just wrote that they know that their hair tech sucks and that they will expanding it and hair selection. They even talked about it in this townhall.
Generally if they will nail the tech down for extreme cases than making more types of hairs will be quite easy for that as this universal asset across all models, so making additional like 30-40 of them should be fast for as long, as they have good tech and pipeline for it.

Yeah they were pretty quick to note that, they know that the choices are lacking and the quality isn't there yet. But they will improve them, just like with everything else visually and selection wise.

Shy

Yeah they were pretty quick to note that, they know that the choices are lacking and the quality isn't there yet. But they will improve them, just like with everything else visually and selection wise.
Then i stand corrected. My mistake.

Then i stand corrected. My mistake.

I kinda trust them because this lady is one of the actresses in Star Citizen

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4636637/?ref_=tt_cl_t8

This guy in S42

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm5072010/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t28

and this guy that was shown from the first surface to sky trailer

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3142672/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t31

sooo.... it would be bad if they didn't think of skin and hair options.

First iteration?

maxresdefault.jpg

Link to youtube <--------

Star Citizen: Around the Verse - Engine Trails and VFX Particle Effects

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p696daOap78

That GPU particle system is going to be a very, very useful tool/feature in all kinds of areas and ways.

Couple this with presistent damage states, enviroment effects, destruction, personalized item effects and other visual cue's. Shit the rain and storms? Omg.

Looking forward to some Star Wars Battlefront type effects.

Pepboy

?

I agree with the last part -- SC fans are the absolute best at mental gymnastics. Very selective memories anytime a release date gets changed or pushed back. Its almost scary how they can rewrite their memories like the original target date never existed.

I agree with the last part -- SC fans are the absolute best at mental gymnastics. Very selective memories anytime a release date gets changed or pushed back. Its almost scary how they can rewrite their memories like the original target date never existed.

It's not about being "selective" in regards to what is remembered. When estimations are annouced. That's all they are...estimations. Its scary how non-backers or some backers like to forgot. What CIG said in regards to their development being fluid and things being subject to change. Yet some want to behold them to some orignal date on kickstarter, that was unrealistic the minute they changed scope in 2013 and 2014. That's what backers know.

Now of course plenty of backers have and will put them to task. Don't lump every backer into one box.

That pressure is one of the reasons that CIG decided to show us their interal schedule and update it every friday. Instead of us not knowing what's going on.

Shy

That post was in defence of SC, not slam against it.

SScorpio

That pressure is one of the reasons that CIG ha decided show us their interal schedule and update it every friday. Instead of us not knowing what's going on.

Which makes this one of the most open and transparent crowd sourced developments.

I have several other games I've back that are way overdue, and they didn't have direction changes taking the planned small single player game and making a huge universe to play in.

I know the people complaining don't do software development for a living. Everything that's happened is just par for course with development of a large project. Things take longer than planned, or there is some pesky bug that delays a milestone.

The only issue is that there isn't a major publisher holding the purse strings. For better or worse this lets Chris realize his dream, but now that the new dev studios are build and staffed. And with some setbacks, I'm hoping he will continue to take feedback from his team and be able to complete something amazing.

The game realistically will never live up to all of the hype people have built around it, but I'm hoping we still get an great, fun, long lasting game. At least I'm not getting the odd vibes that I got when Sony threw a bunch of money at Kojima who decided to use it to making Norman Reedus run around naked with a baby.

Pepboy

It's not about no "selectively" in regards to what is remember when estimations are annouced. Because that's all they are estimations. Its scary how non-backers or some backers like to forgot. What CIG said in regards to their development being fluid and things being subject to change. Yet some want to behold them to some orignal date on kickstarter, that was unrealistic the minute they changed scope in 2013 and 2014. That's what backers know.

Now of course plenty of backers have and will put them to task. Don't lump every backer into one box.

That pressure is one of the reasons that CIG ha decided show us their interal schedule and update it every friday. Instead of us not knowing what's going on.

Okay fair point. Not all backers are satisfied. And while the website does say something about 2017, I was apparently also somewhat faulty with memory. I was using the target date from a german interview that was later corrected.

But I still think that's different from saying there was no date given. Sure it may not be a confirmed launch date, it may not be called a release date, but if they float 2017 with some caveats then change it, I still think that's a delay. An understandable one, perhaps, and almost certainly a beneficial one given the state of sq 42 last we saw it. But still a delay.

Okay fair point. Not all backers are satisfied. And while the website does say something about 2017, I was apparently also somewhat faulty with memory. I was using the target date from a german interview that was later corrected.

But I still think that's different from saying there was no date given. Sure it may not be a confirmed launch date, it may not be called a release date, but if they float 2017 with some caveats then change it, I still think that's a delay. An understandable one, perhaps, and almost certainly a beneficial one given the state of sq 42 last we saw it. But still a delay.

No biggy we all make mistakes.

I mean at that point what is CIG supposed to do? progress is visbly being made and the game they're making is really freaking ambition. Like without the freedom they have with their independence. The minute things started to get messy and bogged down in 2014 and 2015. That would have been the moment, while under a publisher, that things were going to start getting cut or big changes were going to be made and new mechanics would either be dumped or put on a backburner for the next few years. Just to get the game out regardless.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qOjXfNnhxf0&time_continue=3

Top Bottom