• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT6| We Only Build in Black. And Sometimes Very Dark Grey.

Hmm I'm having trouble deciding between the Saturn V and the Batwing. Obviously the Saturn V is a much better value, but I kind of like the look of the batwing more. Looks really badass. I want to get the Saturn V first since lego ideas sets have a more variable lifespan (could only last 6 months with supply issues like the Exo Suit for all we know). I could probably just pick up the batwing a year from now for 40% of if I really want it.
Saturn V now. Batwing will be easily found and discounted. Probably earlier rather than later.

Plum

Apparently the Carousel is up for early VIP access in the U.K. I'm skipping it and will be getting the Saturn.

Talking about the Saturn, it'll cost about £110, right? Looking at getting that alongside the Detective's Office as my Summer sets.

_Rob_

You're all enablers, so hopefully you can help me out!

I'll be getting a significant wage bump in the near future, to celebrate I'm considering grabbing the Assembly Square; convince me this is a good decision Lego GAF!

I'm getting the Carousel, and the Saturn, but not with that Star Wars promo! Has anyone heard anything about that tote bag for the UK? Or anything else at all, promo-wise?

Will just wait for now, I guess they're not going anywhere

I'll be getting a significant wage bump in the near future, to celebrate I'm considering grabbing the Assembly Square; convince me this is a good decision Lego GAF!

Assembly Square is one of the best modulars, so yes. However, if you have no others, you will have to buy them too. The design is made to have other houses on the sides.

I still haven't built Assembly Square, but the small amount I've read about it suggests it might be a slightly more fun build if you build some of the others first.

Get it, just not first.

I still haven't built Assembly Square, but the small amount I've read about it suggests it might be a slightly more fun build if you build some of the others first.

Get it, just not first.

Well, there is tons of fan service so it helps if you're already a fan. But out of the currently available modulars I think only Parisian Restaurant is better. (and I still think it will be gone next)

willp2003

I'm getting the Carousel, and the Saturn, but not with that Star Wars promo! Has anyone heard anything about that tote bag for the UK? Or anything else at all, promo-wise?

Will just wait for now, I guess they're not going anywhere

Nothing in the May-June calendar about promos, but you never know they might surprise us.

Nitemare1

Got my Snowspeeder the same day they said backorders would be shipping out. Even got R2. I really wanted one and was afraid they would be all gone with the first batch.
Its gonna be a Lego long weekend. Woo!

_Rob_

Assembly Square is one of the best modulars, so yes. However, if you have no others, you will have to buy them too. The design is made to have other houses on the sides.

I don't have any other modulars, in which case would you suggest I'd be better starting with one of the others?

Ryuuroden

Research Institute fiasco? Are you implying we should order the Saturn V ASAP after launch?

That is exactly what I am implying. I think the interest in this is huge. The biggest question will be how much will price be a deterance, based on the lack of price complaints this time around, I think they hit the sweet spot which leads me to believing this is going to be huge. There is an absolute fuck ton of non Lego enthusiast interest in this and I have no doubt it will get mainstream free news advertising just like research institute. Do I trust Lego to make the correct decision on supply of this? Based on past, I can't. It might be reasonable to think they "might" actually overproduce it like they have in the past with new stuff that shares similarities to older sets they didn't make enough of. Case in point, Lego movie vs Lego Batman movie.

I am not going to risk it though. The price is not something absurd that I have to save up to pay for.

Ryuuroden

I don't have any other modulars, in which case would you suggest I'd be better starting with one of the others?

Sorry for the double post, I'm not sure how to quote edit this into my other post (on my phone). I recommend you get the Parisian restaurant and then if you like it get detective office. After that either get brick bank or assembly square. I guarantee you'll get them both anyways if you end up getting the first 2 mentioned. All 4 go together really nicely and the thing is Parisian restaurant is still the best of them all, it's also one of the oldest and you definitely don't want to miss it if it turns out you like modulars. It's half the price of assembly square so it makes it a great entry set.

The thing is, if you like assembly square,you are going to want the rest and I would hate for you to miss out then on what is generally considered one of the legendary lego modulars that is actually still in production. Parisian restaurant is pretty much the consensus gold standard modular even though we argue over the placement of all other modulars on the list. That says a lot about it's quality.

_Rob_

Sorry for the double post, I'm not sure how to quote edit this into my other post (on my phone). I recommend you get the Parisian restaurant and then if you like it get detective office. After that either get brick bank or assembly square. I guarantee you'll get them both anyways if you end up getting the first 2 mentioned. All 4 go together really nicely and the thing is Parisian restaurant is still the best of them all, it's also one of the oldest and you definitely don't want to miss it if it turns out you like modulars. It's half the price of assembly square so it makes it a great entry set.

The thing is, if you like assembly square,you are going to want the rest and I would hate for you to miss out then on what is generally considered one of the legendary lego modulars that is actually still in production. Parisian restaurant is pretty much the consensus gold standard modular even though we argue over the placement of all other modulars on the list. That says a lot about it's quality.

Thank you for that, it sounds like a sensible choice to me. (Although I think I hear my wallet wimpering...)

DonShula

Just realized I'm off the week containing 6/1. Kids' first week of summer break and I promised them a trip to the Lego Store.

That rocket is three feet tall...

DonShula

It's really hard to be continually excited about building for 4-5 evenings in a row. By the time I got to BB, I just wanted it over with.

Gotcha. So it was just the repetitiveness and not that one made another less enjoyable because of the similar builds. Just making sure.

I keep flip flopping on whether I want to get the Saturn V or not, since space is becoming a problem. Will be moving soon though so maybe I should just add it to the backlog. Hm...

mclem

Talking about the Saturn, it'll cost about £110, right?

Just from talking around my friends - which in my circle of friends means that most of them have science and engineering backgrounds, I suspect the Saturn's going to be pretty big - non-Lego fans are seriously considering picking it up. It's a good price, a decent size, and it's showing appeal outside the AFOL family.

If Lego can get the word out there - and I suspect Lego fans are assisting in that (I certainly am!) - they should do well off it.

Edit: Basically, the same point as Ryuuroden, although I didn't consider the possibility of stock issues as a result.

Osahi

So tempted to just order the carousel now, in stead of waiting on a double VIP offer. Have some disposable income at the moment after I got funded for one of my film projects (and chances are another project will get the go too), so it wouldn't hurt at all :p

Saturn V is day one though, that's a given. Been a while since I was so looking forward to a set.

Plum

That is exactly what I am implying. I think the interest in this is huge. The biggest question will be how much will price be a deterance, based on the lack of price complaints this time around, I think they hit the sweet spot which leads me to believing this is going to be huge. There is an absolute fuck ton of non Lego enthusiast interest in this and I have no doubt it will get mainstream free news advertising just like research institute. Do I trust Lego to make the correct decision on supply of this? Based on past, I can't. It might be reasonable to think they "might" actually overproduce it like they have in the past with new stuff that shares similarities to older sets they didn't make enough of. Case in point, Lego movie vs Lego Batman movie.

I am not going to risk it though. The price is not something absurd that I have to save up to pay for.

I know I am. Even my friend who has no lego at all is getting one.

Just from talking around my friends - which in my circle of friends means that most of them have science and engineering backgrounds, I suspect the Saturn's going to be pretty big - non-Lego fans are seriously considering picking it up. It's a good price, a decent size, and it's showing appeal outside the AFOL family.

If Lego can get the word out there - and I suspect Lego fans are assisting in that (I certainly am!) - they should do well off it.

Edit: Basically, the same point as Ryuuroden, although I didn't consider the possibility of stock issues as a result.

Thanks! I'll make sure to get it ASAP then. Though I thought Yellow Submarine would be really hard to find and it wasn't so hopefully it shouldn't be bad. Shame there doesn't seem to be a way to get it early in Britain, and I'm away from my local Lego Store when it comes out. Guess I'll have to take a chance.

I haven't bought many Lego sets lately (especially since we're trying to move before the end of the month) but I was at WalMart last night and saw they had the K-2SO buildable figure (the only one I've ever wanted) for $13. I will build him today at work. :)

I stopped by a Walmart today after hearing about some good clearance deals. Picked up Volcano Base and Eclipse Fighter (yay Dengar) for half off.

Ponn

Banned
I keep flip flopping on whether I want to get the Saturn V or not, since space is becoming a problem. Will be moving soon though so maybe I should just add it to the backlog. Hm...

Definititely buy it day one. This is one of those sets that could be a "I really regret not purchasing that". It also has a really nice footprint for people with space issues. I love my Tower of Orthance for that reason, Lego needs to make more tall vertical sets and think about us AFOL's with space issues.

I got 6 fig packs with my recent WW set order from Lego Shop. I was pleasantly surprised

qXCIgCJ.jpg

No doubles and I actually got some I wanted. Really this only leaves two must have ones I need to get left, Highway Man and Corn Guy. I will probably get a couple more packs with my Saturn V order and then bricklink after that if I don't get them.

Sorry for the double post, I'm not sure how to quote edit this into my other post (on my phone). I recommend you get the Parisian restaurant and then if you like it get detective office.
You guys are really the greatest filthy enablers. I have thought about getting the detective office because of the modulars that interests me the most, but based on your rec, I'll consider Parisian for my first modular, pending a pay raise that I might be in for soon. But that has to come first--new car payments sadly come before upgrading the class of Lego sets I buy.

rallaren

Well I got AS as first modular (and first set over 2500 pcs). I would have liked to build something else first like parisian, detective or brick bank.

( I still have only built half of AS, like a month in)

It's really hard to be continually excited about building for 4-5 evenings in a row. By the time I got to BB, I just wanted it over with.

I'm trying to maintain my passion for the modulars but still haven't pulled the trigger on BB or AS. I've run out of room to display them so the difference between 7 modulars and 9 is kind of negligible.

I haven't bought many Lego sets lately (especially since we're trying to move before the end of the month) but I was at WalMart last night and saw they had the K-2SO buildable figure (the only one I've ever wanted) for $13. I will build him today at work. :)

I've curtailed my spending in a serious way. Looking over the last few years, my Jan-May LEGO purchases played out as follows:

2013 - $764
2014 - $875
2015 - $2134
2016 - $995
2017 - $526

I'm definitely on a downward curve.

That having been said, I bought K-2SO and it's a fantastic character. Second only IMO, to Grevious.

I'm trying to maintain my passion for the modulars but still haven't pulled the trigger on BB or AS. I've run out of room to display them so the difference between 7 modulars and 9 is kind of negligible.

I've curtailed my spending in a serious way. Looking over the last few years, my Jan-May LEGO purchases played out as follows:

2013 - $764
2014 - $875
2015 - $2134
2016 - $995
2017 - $526

I'm definitely on a downward curve.

That having been said, I bought K-2SO and it's a fantastic character. Second only IMO, to Grevious.

Are you talking about the actual characters or their Lego model here though?

As far as Constraction goes though, Grievous is still King, can't wait for the Scout Trooper either, on his bike he may be able to dethrone him.

gsrjedi

I stopped by a Walmart today after hearing about some good clearance deals. Picked up Volcano Base and Eclipse Fighter (yay Dengar) for half off.

I just picked up Eclipse Fighter ($20) and a StarScavenger ($25) at a Fry's Electronics last night.

Built my $28 Buckingham Palace last night. The assembly method for the windows was super tedious, but it came together nicely

Are you talking about the actual characters or their Lego model here though?

As far as Constraction goes though, Grievous is still King, can't wait for the Scout Trooper either, on his bike he may be able to dethrone him.

You're right; I phrased that strangely. I meant the Constraction figures, not the actual film characters.

I will be curious to see Scout Trooper in person. That character on the Endor speeder pretty much defines what comes to mind when I think "Star Wars". We had a betamax copy of ROTJ when it was still in the theater so like it or not, that will always be the SW high point for me.

And my afternoon/evening is set.

Post pics of those sweet nano-nauts!

I just picked up Eclipse Fighter ($20) and a StarScavenger ($25) at a Fry's Electronics last night.

Built my $28 Buckingham Palace last night. The assembly method for the windows was super tedious, but it came together nicely
Niccccce.

Mine apparently might not get to me until Monday. :(

Finished bag 3. This thing has the most insane SNOT work I have seen.
Yes, there is a lot of repetition, but the way the curve of the cylinder is done is so cool.

Top Bottom