• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cabin in The Woods - April 13th - Best horror film in years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Futureman

I really don't like horror/slasher films. The movie was okay, but the last 30 minutes are just insane and worth the watch just for that.

Was it ever explained why that black dude who worked at the company worked there.... Yet seemed to have any clue about what they actually did?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I really don't like horror/slasher films. The movie was okay, but the last 30 minutes are just insane and worth the watch just for that.

Was it ever explained why that black dude who worked at the company worked there.... Yet seemed to have any clue about what they actually did?

im assuming because he was brand new. which is why all that shit disgusted him while the others were used to it

Ushae

Banned
I just saw this, have to say it's really good and a great change from the typical horror flick. Wonder if there will be any sequels?

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I just saw this, have to say it's really good and a great change from the typical horror flick. Wonder if there will be any sequels?

I would doubt it, seeing as
the world is basically destroyed at the end of the moves

demolitio

I'm not sure how they would pull it off since the discovery is what made the movie great and that'd be gone for a sequel or at least expected.

I'm not sure how they would pull it off since the discovery is what made the movie great and that'd be gone for a sequel or at least expected.

The thread is long and old so I don't expect you to go searching for it, but in the Art Of book for Cabin in the Woods they talk about the ideas they have for a sequel. Obviously it would be a different hook than the first one, but their plot idea involves
the sole survivor, the intern, is not the ruler of all the gods.
I doubt it will ever get made, but they absolutely have the ideas for it.

big ander

on the surface, a sequel would betray the entire point of cabin in the woods and I would hate that it was being made. but technically I guess it could be pulled off– I have a soft spot for scream 2, for example, mainly because the entire thematic thrust of that film is "isn't this ridiculous that this is happening again? so fucking predictable right? and of course since it's a sequel we do everything in the first essentially multiplied by two. how frivolous of us"

I thought the big hand of one of the Old Gods coming out of the ground at the end was kind of lame. I was kind of hoping for some weird tentacle with multiple hideous heads or something. It looked too much like the hand and arm of a Titan from God of War or something.

on the surface, a sequel would betray the entire point of cabin in the woods and I would hate that it was being made. but technically I guess it could be pulled off– I have a soft spot for scream 2, for example, mainly because the entire thematic thrust of that film is "isn't this ridiculous that this is happening again? so fucking predictable right? and of course since it's a sequel we do everything in the first essentially multiplied by two. how frivolous of us"

Any sort of sequel - which has been implied by Whedon and Goddard - would have to be either incredibly meta or a straight horror film.

I could see a mockumentary spoof, especially since 50% of mockumentaries for the past five years have been horror and sci-fi. Hell, they could even spoof how people make shitty monster mockumentaries.

Friends hyped this up so much like it was the best movie of the year. I admit it was good but there were definitely better movies in 2012.

I thought the big hand of one of the Old Gods coming out of the ground at the end was kind of lame. I was kind of hoping for some weird tentacle with multiple hideous heads or something. It looked too much like the hand and arm of a Titan from God of War or something.

Why wouldn't the gods look like us? Has any society ever worshipped a completely alien-looking tentacled Cthulhu creature? We are made in the gods' own image.

lol, what a ridiculous request...how is saying there are better movies than Cabin in the Woods a bold claim?

I was joking. But his post was weak. He should list a couple movies that he enjoyed more. Why pop into a film's OT just to say it's not worthy of the hype?

Let's look at Terms of Service here:

B. Trolling

Trolling is considered to be the act of purposely being disingenuous to an active discussion. Negative commentary on given topics is by no means disallowed; however, such comments should attempt to be substantiated. No matter your supposed intent, if the forum administrators perceive you as a troll making unsubstantiated comments in an attempt to provoke the community, actions may be taken by the administrators.

My choice of words was apparently distracting you away from my point. I edited it to be more clear.

Why would I say it is not worthy of the hype? Because in my opinion, it wasn't the movie of the year that my friends hyped it up to be. Horror movie? Maybe. Overall movie of the year encompassing all genre's? No way.

I really don't think anyone would argue it was the best movie of any genre in 2012.

Why would I say it is not worthy of the hype? Because in my opinion, it wasn't the movie of the year that my friends hyped it up to be. Horror movie? Maybe. Overall movie of the year encompassing all genre's? No way.

I really don't think anyone would argue it was the best movie of any genre in 2012.

I'm mostly trying to help you become a better quality poster. Your original post was your opinion - you've made that quite clear and I understand you. However, it could have been more interesting if you would have noted a couple 2012 films you thought were better, especially after stating that you thought there were better films in 2012.

Here, I'll even help you out: I do think Cabin in the Woods deserves the hype it has received, but I do not think it was the best film of the year. I enjoyed The Hobbit and The Avengers more than Cabin in the Woods.

I'm mostly trying to help you become a better quality poster. Your original post was your opinion - you've made that quite clear and I understand you. However, it could have been more interesting if you would have noted a couple 2012 films you thought were better, especially after stating that you thought there were better films in 2012.

Here, I'll even help you out: I do think Cabin in the Woods deserves the hype it has received, but I do not think it was the best film of the year. I enjoyed The Hobbit and The Avengers more than Cabin in the Woods.

Even though your post is incredibly condescending, I'll list some films I thought were better.

The Dark Knight Rises
Prometheus
Dredd
Outrage:Beyond
The Raid: Redemption
Skyfall
Django Unchained

Even though your post is incredibly condescending, I'll list some films I thought were better.

The Dark Knight Rises
Prometheus
Dredd
Outrage:Beyond
The Raid: Redemption
Skyfall
Django Unchained

haha I am sorry, there was no offense intended. I hated TDKR and never saw Outrage or The Raid, but I agree with you on the other films being better than Cabin in the Woods.

Cabin in the Woods was a great horror/comedy, but I don't think it did anything that was revolutionary. I feel like it was very similar in tone and quality to 2006's Slither, which is not a bad thing at all.

haha I am sorry, there was no offense intended. I hated TDKR and never saw Outrage or The Raid, but I agree with you on the other films being better than Cabin in the Woods.

Cabin in the Woods was a great horror/comedy, but I don't think it did anything that was revolutionary. I feel like it was very similar in tone and quality to 2006's Slither, which is not a bad thing at all.

Outrage is good if you like Yakuza movies and The Raid is an amazing film that any action fan should see. It's similar to Dredd actually.

Pretty good subversion of horror movie tropes. The last 15 minutes were pretty dumb, though. I was expecting a more meta explanation for the cabin, such as "all horror movies ever made were actually made in this lab" instead of ancient gods.

But still, enjoyable flick.

sappyday

One thing they never explain but I'm gonna assume they were just being double meta was when they say they have an audience. Either this was showcased to actual people (Hunger Games style I guess) or they were just referring to us.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
One thing they never explain but I'm gonna assume they were just being double meta was when they say they have an audience. Either this was showcased to actual people (Hunger Games style I guess) or they were just referring to us.

Presumably the Old Ones are watching the events.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
I can see how this movie would be good if you are someone who hasn't watched a lot of movies.

It isn't scary, it's not that funny, and it has no meaning. What's good about this movie again?

Mr_Zombie

I can see how this movie would be good if you are someone who hasn't watched a lot of movies.

It isn't scary, it's not that funny, and it has no meaning. What's good about this movie again?

I don't agree with you - the movie is good if you do watch a lot of (horror) movies. That's because it plays on popular horror movies tropes, makes fun of them or twist them.

big ander

yeah they meant the gods

that it's good I guess. idk really no need to do a checklist or analysis in response to such a stupid empty post. just for future reference the absolute stupidest way to criticize something is to say everyone who's liked it is a stupid uneducated fool all it does is show how stupid and uneducated you are to the point where you can't comprehend human critical discourse

Coins

Banned
I saw this on Netflix tonight with no idea what it was about. I sometimes put on a slasher flick and fall asleep on the couch so I can have fucked up dreams. This was amazing, though, and I had to watch the whole movie. Whedon delivers again.

AMUSIX

As people have said, the whole thing was put on for the gods, however, you're right that they were being meta.
The 'gods' are the horror movie-going audience. Thus the discussion about how, in the old days, all you needed was the killing, but as time went on, rules became established, and the methods of death had to become more and more involved so that the gods were sated. It also explains the god's form at the end of the movie, and why a good sacrifice (like the one Japan had pulled off) would satisfy the gods for a while.

daviyoung

Banned

Yeh but it has Ripley! OMG so retro, so meta, so awesome.

zoukka

To say CiTW is a horror movie does it a great disservice. It's really nothing more than a better written and better acted version of Scary Movie.

At least that's my opinion.

I can get behind your definition.

It is a smarter, funnier evolution of what Kevin Williamson was doing with Scream.

Smarter? Scream played with tropes, but in the end the movie itself was viewed as a proper slasher and people were scared watching it. Cabin in the woods plays with the tropes also, but in a "hey guys look at me playing with these tropes!" kind of way. It just felt half assed and dumb.

A.R.K

Saw it on NF after reading the hype...this was a horror movie? There was nothing scary in it. And the twist was really stupid and absurd instead how it was being advertised as "smart". Stupid C grade movie just like how 99.99% of horror movies are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom