• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT4| Everyone Else Would Beat Catspajamas

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Increased price for GSL? :f meh. It's still probably worth it but makes me think twice before buying.

Tasteless needs a new shiny blazer.

(I agree that I don't like the price increasing constantly but I suppose it's a necessary burden if we want GomTV to continue to grow)

I'll probably buy the cheapest GSL HQ VOD pass and maybe the GSTL pass if they go back to the old format.

Zzoram

Depending on what GSTL annual costs, this new pricing scheme seems cheaper than 2011 as long as you buy annual.

For 2012, if you pay monthly you get GSL + GSTL + Special Events for $240/year

OR

GSL for $70/year

GSTL annual pricing coming soon.

It's unclear what Special Events will cost individually.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
That was fun, thanks for the help everyone. Corran, I hate you

</3

...<3

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
That was fun, thanks for the help everyone. Corran, I hate you

</3

...<3
SimpsonsHomerSmile.gif

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Lol you know what would have been better? That wrestler frowning then smiling while they're zooming in on him.

Mairu

Depending on what GSTL annual costs, this new pricing scheme seems cheaper than 2011 as long as you buy annual.

For 2012, if you pay monthly you get GSL + GSTL + Special Events for $240/year

OR

GSL for $70/year

GSTL annual pricing coming soon.

It's unclear what Special Events will cost individually.

I don't think it seems cheaper at all unless they have a million more "special events" that the majority of people complain about for players not taking it seriously.

crosspost from gsl thread:

There aren't 12 GSL leagues in a year and I'd MUCH RATHER see improvements to stream quality that they haven't improved for months than access to the higher quality Korean VODs.

Sony Ericsson Global StarCraft II League Jan.
(Finished) Unlimited Completed $9.99
2nd Generation Intel® Core™ GSL Mar.
2011 LG Cinema 3D Global StarCraft II League May
Global StarCraft II League July
Global StarCraft II League Aug.
Global StarCraft II League Oct.
Global StarCraft II League Nov.
(Ongoing) Unlimited Completed $9.99

This is all you're going to get with the $70/$100 ticket. The $70 ticket doesn't include the mobile access OR the dual streams (the latter part bothers me especially). So essentially you're paying $30 more for next year to access the same amount of content you could this year. The only people who are going to care about Korean VODs are going to be BW-diehards or people who want to watch something in higher quality if we're getting the same 1080p content that the Koreans get.

If you look at the total amount of content this year, excluding the Blizzard Cup, the cost for everything (without ads) was $174.84 without having to pay bulk. Next year, the "everything included" subscription comes out to $240.

This is why I am disappointed. Maybe if they said "720P OR HIGHER WITH NON SHIT BITRATE LIVESTREAM NOW" I'd be more inclined to support higher costs.

Striek

Played my first GM player. Namchir (#17 NA). Got raped. I thought he was proxy 2raxing me which was half correct, then I thought maybe he was faking me out or something so I sent my obs on wild goose chase and I wasn't expecting cloaked banshees even though I saw a hellion (I thought 1/1/1 was most likely without cloak). If I had've made a second observer straight away I think I could've dealt with it, but he killed 23 probes before he even pushed. Also I didn't recognise what all-in he was doing (2port banshees) until too late. Bad scouting by me all in all.

If you want to watch a drubbing:
http://drop.sc/70074

Q8D3vil

Played my first GM player. Namchir (#17 NA). Got raped. I thought he was proxy 2raxing me which was half correct, then I thought maybe he was faking me out or something so I sent my obs on wild goose chase and I wasn't expecting cloaked banshees even though I saw a hellion (I thought 1/1/1 was most likely without cloak). If I had've made a second observer straight away I think I could've dealt with it, but he killed 23 probes before he even pushed. Also I didn't recognise what all-in he was doing (2port banshees) until too late. Bad scouting by me all in all.

If you want to watch a drubbing:
http://drop.sc/70074

ur mmr must be really high if you played against a gm player (even if he was fav) >_>

Zzoram

Am right in thinking that gsl is still completely free in korea?

They have WAY more Korean viewers, and they have Korean sponsors and Korean advertisements to support them. It helps that GOMTV plays more than just Starcraft 2 in Korea, so they have more content to attract more viewers and advertising dollars.

The English cast gets much fewer viewers and they haven't secured as much sponsorship money or advertising so they need to supplement it with subscriptions to afford to pay for the English casters.

MrKnives

They have WAY more Korean viewers, and they have Korean sponsors and Korean advertisements to support them. It helps that GOMTV plays more than just Starcraft 2 in Korea, so they have more content to attract more viewers and advertising dollars.

The English cast gets much fewer viewers and they haven't secured as much sponsorship money or advertising so they need to supplement it with subscriptions to afford to pay for the English casters.
Which makes you wonder, just how much money is Tastosis getting?

Deadman

Yeah sure they have more viewers in korea, but they do now have ads before all the vods for the english site, they still get decent numbers of people watching though. I guess i thought that the difference in price would get smaller over time rather than what is basically a price raise.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
IdrA in Korea makes my go :3

Deadman

It would be cool if seeing all the awesome terrans up close would make him switch to terran, but its sadly unlikely.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
It would be cool if seeing all the awesome terrans up close would make him switch to terran, but its sadly unlikely.
He's probably making every Terran player in slayers apologize.

fanboi

Banned
Where in flying fucks do I create my channel on TwitchTV

I have an account, but dont get the channel in xSplit

nilbog21

Banned
striek how did you know he was gm before the game started?

edit: lol all in noob

BTW thanks to SOTG and day 9 for being incredibly boring last night and letting me study

Holden

didn't he just play the GM in a tournament...? you dont just jump to low grandmaster to high grandmaster ( as he said he never played a GM before ).

I played GM players... im no where near the MMR they have; same for elcheris and panda

YAY for promotion
silver-->gold
now i feel like i'm just terrible instead of completely terrible

edit: straight to #1 too, how does that work? I always assumed they would just put you at the bottom of an unfilled league for a mid season promotion. Is it the MMR system guessing around where i would be at this point if i started the season in this league?

Deadman

Ret's stream is awesome, he wins almost every game hes 10-0 today. He just played major 4 times and won 4 times. Gonna be streaming for another 5 hours, with commentary.

YAY for promotion
silver-->gold
now i feel like i'm just terrible instead of completely terrible

edit: straight to #1 too, how does that work? I always assumed they would just put you at the bottom of an unfilled league for a mid season promotion. Is it the MMR system guessing around where i would be at this point if i started the season in this league?

From how I understand the MMR system, your MMR will gradually increase as you win to the point where they will match up up against players in the next league. The system won't place you right away because they want to properly place you within that league. So I'm guessing that you started winning against low Gold players, but then kept winning until you started to plateau against top Gold/bottom Platinum players. That plateau meant you were ready to be placed near (or in your case at) the top of your Gold league division.

Although maybe you just had that many points or that division is new enough that you were placed there.

jasonng

My history from beta to now:

Bronze Protoss --> Silver Protoss ---> Gold Protoss -> Gold Random -----> Silver Zerg --> Gold Zerg ----> Gold Zerg ----> oh come the fuck on Gold Zerg ---> Fucking promote me already Gold Zerg --> Plat Zerg -> Instantaneous Diamond Zerg.

Now I'm debating on pulling a Keikaku and drop to Silver to practice Terran.

Top Bottom