• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Yakuza 0, aka what black magic makes this so amazing

Humdinger

Each one really does have a particular use. I ended up focusing slightly more on the style that I liked more than the others, but never neglected any style too much.

The amount of money needed to upgrade increases fairly quickly, so you might as well spread out. Even if you don't really use one or the other, some upgrades (like the max health increases) are global.

Thanks, guys. I'll spread it around.

Just finished the second side mission, the one about the yanki band. Hilarious.

I really like this game's sense of humor. It's been a long time since I laughed this much when playing a game. And I'm sure I've just scratched the surface. It's a crazy balance between intense melodrama and completely silly side missions.

It's a crazy balance between intense melodrama and completely silly side missions.

That sums up the series perfectly. Its one of the only games I can think of where you go from a really badass brawl between you and dozens of goons topped off with an awesome encounter against someone like Kuze, to some really crazy side stories (and 0 especially has some of my favourites in that department).

Jimrpg

That sums up the series perfectly. Its one of the only games I can think of where you go from a really badass brawl between you and dozens of goons topped off with an awesome encounter against someone like Kuze, to some really crazy side stories (and 0 especially has some of my favourites in that department).

There are some REALLY crazy fights in this one.

The one where you're in the construction site, and there's a dude with a circular saw that was totally NUTS. I mean how invincible is Kiryu, that's totally CRAZY.

Just finished the first chapter, really impressed so far.

Super stoked to be playing a Yakuza game within it's release year for the first time.

xrnzaaas

The amount of money needed to upgrade increases fairly quickly, so you might as well spread out. Even if you don't really use one or the other, some upgrades (like the max health increases) are global.

How about the bosses? Are some of them vulnerable only to certain fighting styles or can you finish all of the boss encounters using only your favorite style? I have tried three I've already unlocked, but the Brawler style is by far my favorite one.

jdstorm

Banned
How about the bosses? Are some of them vulnerable only to certain fighting styles or can you finish all of the boss encounters using only your favorite style? I have tried three I've already unlocked, but the Brawler style is by far my favorite one.

You could Hypothetically beat every boss with your favourite style, but each different style has a different purpose and some are better for boss fights then others.

Bosses are vulnerable to any style, but certain styles do work better against certain bosses depending on the situation you find yourself in - for example the second chapter boss is in a room with tons of chairs, tables etc. so the beast style tears him apart as you just maneuver the fight to where these weapons are and just slaughter him by smashing several chairs and a table over his head!

Its worth noting that Kiwami actually does have certain points where bosses get stunned and can only be harmed by heat moves in a certain style. Else they heal and get a bit of health back.

There are some REALLY crazy fights in this one.

The one where you're in the construction site, and there's a dude with a circular saw that was totally NUTS. I mean how invincible is Kiryu, that's totally CRAZY.

Yeah, that part was really awesome, kinda reminded me of Resident Evil 4 for a moment, though thankfully without the risk of instant death! Now that I'm finally at the end of Zelda I should be able to start my English playthrough of Yakuza 0 this month, been a long time coming, and it'll be nice to replay it in English this time.

Humdinger

Well, I'm a fan. I'm in Chapter 4 now, and it just keeps getting better.

I find it very hard to describe this game to other people. I try... "It's a brawler with fun, accessible combat. You can pull off all kinds of crazy moves. The story line involves organized crime families, and it's melodramatic but also seems self-aware and doesn't take itself too seriously. In between melodramatic story missions, you do a variety of ridiculous and often funny things, like direct a TV episode or pretend to be a boyfriend. There are also a bunch of mini-games. And people stop you on the street and give you Kleenex. The voice acting is really good, and the translation is full of American slang, which makes it sound even sillier than it probably did in the native Japanese. The game has some seriously nasty people in it, along with absurdly childlike people. There is an innocence to it, but also gravity and cruelty. It's ... uh ... a mix of all of that."

Which just leaves people confused. I heard that kind of stuff before I played it, too, and I'd just go, "Uh, okay..." and be confused, too.

I don't know. I think it's one of those games you have to play for 5 or 6 hours before you really get it.

Anyhow, consider me a member of YakuzaGAF. It's a really unique and fun game. I'm glad I listened to you guys and gave it a chance.

I'm bummed that it isn't selling as well as it deserves in the US, but I can understand why. First of all, I think it's a hard game for Western audiences to wrap their heads around (see above). Second, it has some PS3 qualities that make it seem a bit last-gen. I'm okay with that stuff -- I think it adds to the charm -- but a lot of people will turn away, based on that. And I suppose a lot of mainstream Western gamers won't give Japanese games a second look.

Oh well, I'm glad I found it, anyhow. Thanks again, YakuzaGAF. You've made my gaming year more fun, and you've helped me discover a great game series I wasn't aware of.

SephLuis

Which just leaves people confused. I heard that kind of stuff before I played it, too, and I'd just go, "Uh, okay..." and be confused, too.

I don't know. I think it's one of those games you have to play for 5 or 6 hours before you really get it.

Anyhow, consider me a member of YakuzaGAF. It's a really unique and fun game. I'm glad I listened to you guys and gave it a chance.

I'm bummed that it isn't selling as well as it deserves in the US, but I can understand why. First of all, I think it's a hard game for Western audiences to wrap their heads around (see above). Second, it has some PS3 qualities that make it seem a bit last-gen. I'm okay with that stuff -- I think it adds to the charm -- but a lot of people will turn away, based on that. And I suppose a lot of mainstream Western gamers won't give Japanese games a second look.

Oh well, I'm glad I found it, anyhow. Thanks again, YakuzaGAF. You've made my gaming year more fun, and you've helped me discover a great game series I wasn't aware of.

Welcome to YakuzaGAF (someone will bring the GIFs) and you already completed the rite of passage for every Yakuza fan:

1) Try to explain these games to someone else and see their reaction.
2) Lament the series sales.

You're probably stuck for life now with the series.

Wadiwasi

Banned
Welcome to YakuzaGAF (someone will bring the GIFs) and you already completed the rite of passage for every Yakuza fan:

LOL. I wish I would have taken a picture of my brother's face when I was trying to explain it to him. He saw the game case at my place and was curious.

I've finally started my English playthrough on 0 this week. So great to see it in English, its great to play it through again, I'm picking up on little things I missed on my first run. Though I have spent most of my time playing mini games - finished up most of the Mahjong related challenges (I've had excellent luck so far!) and played tons of Outrun - the Sega club girl challenged me to beat her score, I ended up beating the game on route B! Kinda felt bad about destroying her score :(

I just love playing through this series - from purposely trying to win fights using as many different heat moves as possible, to 100%ing the completion list... Can't see me completely finishing this before Kiwami is released, but I am really looking forward to replaying that in English as well.

GenericUser

I not often share the same opinion on games with GAF, but Yakuza 0 is amazing no doubt. Herewith, I officially apply as a member of the GAF Yakuza posse.

Its maybe the best singleplayer game I played in the last 5 years (at least). The characters are likeable, the story is facinating and really well told and the gameplay is addicing as hell.

My singelplayer Game of The year, easiely. Kiwami can't come soon enough although Yakuza 0 is that deep, that I have no fear I'm running out of Yakuza Gameplay anytime soon.

Sega should release a Demo, so that peole on the fence have a chance to check it out and fall in love with it.

I not often share the same opinion on games with GAF, but Yakuza 0 is amazing no doubt. Herewith, I officially apply as a member of the GAF Yakuza posse.

Its maybe the best singleplayer game I played in the last 5 years (at least). The characters are likeable, the story is facinating and really well told and the gameplay is addicing as hell.

My singelplayer Game of The year, easiely. Kiwami can't come soon enough although Yakuza 0 is that deep, that I have no fear I'm running out of Yakuza Gameplay anytime soon.

Sega should release a Demo, so that peole on the fence have a chance to check it out and fall in love with it.

Sega actually do release demos for the games in Japan. No idea why they don't bring them over though, the last one I think was brought across was for Yakuza 4, which actually cut half of the Japanese demo out. The English demo had four battles (one with each character), while the Japanese version has that and a portion of Chapter 1. Ishin, 0 and 6 all got demos, Kiwami did not (guess because its a remake and not a new game).

GenericUser

Sega actually do release demos for the games in Japan. No idea why they don't bring them over though, the last one I think was brought across was for Yakuza 4, which actually cut half of the Japanese demo out. The English demo had four battles (one with each character), while the Japanese version has that and a portion of Chapter 1. Ishin, 0 and 6 all got demos, Kiwami did not (guess because its a remake and not a new game).

It's so dumb, to present this game in such a form. Sure, the brawling is cool, but I'd imagine a full version of the game restricted fo 5 hours would help a lot more. Maybe not starting from the first chapter but a later chapter when the heat picks up.

I guess this would hook people instantly. Sega doesn't like money as it seems.

Humdinger

lol, thanks. Good to know it's all just a part of the process.

I already got the gif/knife when I got the game, so I'm good. I don't think I was really on board at that point yet, but I am now.

As for the explanation, I think I'll just keep it simple. "It's a fun brawler with a great story, lots of humor and heart, and plenty of weird things to do."

Welcome to YakuzaGAF (someone will bring the GIFs)
GCc7tfe.gif

Humdinger

lol, thanks.

p.s. I have to say, one of the things that I like about Yakuza is that the community itself seems so friendly and helpful. I think that's kind of rare to find on a videogame forum. I think it does the game a real service, too. It sort of makes me feel friendlier toward the game, if that makes any sense.

It's so dumb, to present this game in such a form. Sure, the brawling is cool, but I'd imagine a full version of the game restricted fo 5 hours would help a lot more. Maybe not starting from the first chapter but a later chapter when the heat picks up.

I guess this would hook people instantly. Sega doesn't like money as it seems.

It would make sense, but then again especially back then Sega seemed pretty clueless as to what to do with the series. At least they didn't butcher 4 like they did with 3!

6's demo (the second one) wasn't all that great outside of exploring the city and doing the couple of activities the game lets you do - they'd be better off as you mentioned taking a bit from a later chapter just so you can be slightly levelled up, take part in a couple of more interesting fights and take part in a couple of side stories and mini games. They are at least on the right track with 0, so hopefully they take that momentum and keep it up with Kiwami and 6. I'd love to see them do well and have the series break out even more in more countries.

Arklite

Just unlocked the cabaret club, I'm going to spend many hours on this.

Yeah it's great, I never expected to like it. Yakuza 4's cabaret stuff was a complete bore, but 0's manager mini game is a blast. I think a big part of it is getting to 'own' parts of the city and advance on competitor turf. Tying this and the real estate game with a gang turf narrative and climactic brawls is perfect.

Humdinger

Two minor questions:

1. What is that coke-bottle-looking icon that pops up on my screen once in a while? I can't figure out what it's trying to tell me.

2. Why do people on the street keep handing me tissues? In real life, I have a cold right now, so maybe it's just genius AI programming, but I have a feeling I'm missing something ... an inside joke, maybe? A Kombucha custom?

Two minor questions:

1. What is that coke-bottle-looking icon that pops up on my screen once in a while? I can't figure out what it's trying to tell me.

2. Why do people on the street keep handing me tissues? In real life, I have a cold right now, so maybe it's just genius AI programming, but I have a feeling I'm missing something ... an inside joke, maybe? A Kombucha custom?
1. Does it have a colour glowing in the background of the icon? That means you're drunk. Sauced. Pissed. Bent. Blasted. Buzzed. Flushed. You get the idea. Being drunk affects some stuffs and even enables some new heat moves/abilities. But I believe enemies are more aggressive when you're drunk (or some such downside).

2. That's pocket tissues which is an actual and very common way of advertising in Japan. Instead of handing out business cards or other items which most people discard almost immediately, pocket tissues containing advertisements for local establishments are actually useful things that people keep on their person and they're cheap to manufacture. http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2007/08/21/reference/pocket-tissues/

Two minor questions:

Have you been drinking right before the icon appears? As after you have an alcoholic drink you'll have an icon like that appear on your screen - depending on the colour of the icon it shows how drunk you are (blue = buzzed, red = shitfaced!). When you upgrade the characters more you can get them drunk and get certain stat boosts in battles.

As for the tissues thing, its some king of custom, but someone far more well versed in that could explain it far better than I ever could.

HeeHo

Have you been drinking right before the icon appears? As after you have an alcoholic drink you'll have an icon like that appear on your screen - depending on the colour of the icon it shows how drunk you are (blue = buzzed, red = shitfaced!). When you upgrade the characters more you can get them drunk and get certain stat boosts in battles.

As for the tissues thing, its some king of custom, but someone far more well versed in that could explain it far better than I ever could.

I thought they were intentionally giving them out so you can pass the search done by your future cop buddy. When you hand him the tissues, he makes some kind of comment that there is no way you're suspicious if you just have tissues in your pocket. Although, I have never given him anything but tissues, so I wouldn't know.

I thought they were intentionally giving them out so you can pass the search done by your future cop buddy. When you hand him the tissues, he makes some kind of comment that there is no way you're suspicious if you just have tissues in your pocket. Although, I have never given him anything but tissues, so I wouldn't know.

The cops responses are disappointing now you mention it. As a joke I gave him one of two guns (empty) I had on me at the time and he didn't react at all. Pretty lousy cop!

No, it's just a marketing thing that happens in Japan

He'll say just about the same thing if you hand him over other stuff.

IpsoFacto

Oh, dear God, this game has been stuck inside my PS4 for at least two solid months. There's so much content here that I'm just going nuts. Goro Majima is an awesome character, as he was when I played the original way back in PS2. Kazuma Kiryu is also pretty good. While the story is a crucial focus, you are always rewarded for stepping outside the main story and mess around with sidequests. As as well as side activities.

Oh, and Cabaret mini-game with Goro is basically crack...so addictive.

Zemm

It's my first Yakuza game and I've just completed chapter 14. It's my game of the year so far and I don't think there's anything that's going to top it. Great characters, great story.

It's my first Yakuza game and I've just completed chapter 14. It's my game of the year so far and I don't think there's anything that's going to top it. Great characters, great story.
It's soooo good. If it was my first yakuza game it would probably be my goty too.

Peroroncino

lol, thanks.

p.s. I have to say, one of the things that I like about Yakuza is that the community itself seems so friendly and helpful. I think that's kind of rare to find on a videogame forum. I think it does the game a real service, too. It sort of makes me feel friendlier toward the game, if that makes any sense.

Well that's simple.

We need every single person we can get to buy the game so the next one will get translated, ergo, we're friendly to everybody. It may seem nice, but in reality all of it is born from a selfish reason of wanting to play the next title.

;)

Humdinger

1. Does it have a colour glowing in the background of the icon? That means you're drunk. Sauced. Pissed. Bent. Blasted. Buzzed. Flushed. You get the idea. Being drunk affects some stuffs and even enables some new heat moves/abilities. But I believe enemies are more aggressive when you're drunk (or some such downside).

2. That's pocket tissues which is an actual and very common way of advertising in Japan. Instead of handing out business cards or other items which most people discard almost immediately, pocket tissues containing advertisements for local establishments are actually useful things that people keep on their person and they're cheap to manufacture. http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2007/08/21/reference/pocket-tissues/

Ah, thank you. That makes sense. Yes, I was probably drinking before I saw that icon. And interesting info about the tissues. I did not know that about Japan.

If you're already getting emotional then the ending might Fuck you up.

I survived Nier Automata, I say bring it on.

Seriously though, I am up to chapter 10 now and the main story is really ramping up and makes me anxious to see how it plays out.

That is unless I can stop myself scouring the maps several times over every time I free roam, I might not get to see the ending anytime soon.

Fuck, that scene where (upto chapter 10 spoiler)
Nishiki tried to kill Kiryu to spare him the Yakuza's punishment. What a bro. Also Lee
;(

Soar

Ok, Yakuza just made me weep.

I did not expect that.

Yeah same. Really liked how it hit both the wacky notes and could still carry the emotional ones so well. It's like real life!

Seriously though, the best Japanese drama series I have played through.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Game is sitting in my PSN cart right now. Got super burned out hard on the series a few years ago playing through Y1-3. But the consistent love for this prequel is pushing me to go back in.

capnjazz

Neo Member
This is also the entry that got me into the series. I preordered Kiwami on the PSN store and can't wait to play it. I haven't enjoyed a story in a video game like that in a long time.

dralla

I finished this over the weekend. Clocked in about 70 hours. Are there any good side missions I should check out that I may have missed?

I finished this over the weekend. Clocked in about 70 hours. Are there any good side missions I should check out that I may have missed?

Almost all of them are good. But the "Doll Girl" and the cult one in particular were really fun. Both of those are for Majima btw. Oh and don't forget the one that a girl asks you to be her boyfriend, the responses in that quest are hilarious. And don't forget the Obatarian quests.

From Kiryu's side you might wanna check the "Miracle Johnson" quests and the one with the kid that wants a "magazine". Also, I liked the fortune teller and dominatrix one.

Just do all of them man. They are all great.

dralla

Almost all of them are good. But the "Doll Girl" and the cult one in particular were really fun. Both of those are for Majima btw. Oh and don't forget the one that a girl asks you to be her boyfriend, the responses in that quest are hilarious. And don't forget the Obatarian quests.

From Kiryu's side you might wanna check the "Miracle Johnson" quests and the one with the kid that wants a "magazine". Also, I liked the fortune teller and dominatrix one.

Just do all of them man. They are all great.

I've done all those. I was just wondering if there were any good ones that are particularly difficult to find/easy to miss. I think I'm missing about 30 sub-stories so I've done quite a bit of them but haven't found any more

Top Bottom