• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Yakuza 0, aka what black magic makes this so amazing

Im on chapter 2 and im stuggling to see the greatness that everybody is talking about. Ive fallen asleep twice while playing because the cut scenes are so long winded and boring. Oh, go scour the town for 5 different boozes for homeless people? Totally what i would imagine a badass yakuza would be doing!

Also the combat...eh, is just not very good especially considering that so far, its basically the center of the gameolay loop. Why can this boss just tank the same attacks that staggered or knocked him down a second ago? No reason other than now he flashes white when you attack him.

Im still chugging through it slowly and hoping it picks up, but so far this game might be more overrated than Bloodborne here on GAF.
If the game hasn't grabbed you by the end of chapter 3 then I highly doubt you're going to like it.

It's fine, not everyone has to like something. And for Y0 to be more overrated than Bloodborne, people need to have played Y0.

Thanks for the replies. I have almost 5000 fans (Do I need more or do I need to advance the story? ) in the Mars club area and I have done the first Platinum Hostess substory.

I'm at the part where Majima is about to get the cash confetti skill but I have halted story progress on purpose to try and do these substories.

Did you already get the event where you're scooping out Club Mars?

I don't remember the exact fans required to trigger each battle, but I feel like 5000 should be enough in the first area. Once you can engage in a Club Battle, make sure you have enough hostesses in your line-up (You recruit hostesses through substories, the shrine and you can find some on the street that you can recruit with presents.) and that they're well rested and you're good to go.

Also, and this is important, don't do Real Estate and Cabaret Club all at once your first time through the game.

dralla

Im on chapter 2 and im stuggling to see the greatness that everybody is talking about. Ive fallen asleep twice while playing because the cut scenes are so long winded and boring. Oh, go scour the town for 5 different boozes for homeless people? Totally what i would imagine a badass yakuza would be doing!

Also the combat...eh, is just not very good especially considering that so far, its basically the center of the gameolay loop. Why can this boss just tank the same attacks that staggered or knocked him down a second ago? No reason other than now he flashes white when you attack him.

Im still chugging through it slowly and hoping it picks up, but so far this game might be more overrated than Bloodborne here on GAF.

I remember thinking the same thing when I got to that part in the story. It gets a lot better. It takes a few chapters for the game to open up everything to you. Also worth noting that Kiryu isn't a "badass Yakuzza" per say, he's basically a new recruit and down at the bottom of the totem poll of Yakuza. He hasn't made a name for himself yet so he's gonna have to take some shitty jobs. What won't change though are the long cutscenes and dialogue-heavy narrative. If the narrative doesn't 'grab' you soon it might not be your kind of game.

Combat gets a lot better one you start unlocking new styles and abilities. It's rather simplistic all the way through the game though. The flashiness of the heat moves goes a long way in keeping it enjoyable, at least for me it did.

HeeHo

Did you already get the event where you're scooping out Club Mars?

I don't remember the exact fans required to trigger each battle, but I feel like 5000 should be enough in the first area. Once you can engage in a Club Battle, make sure you have enough hostesses in your line-up (You recruit hostesses through substories, the shrine and you can find some on the street that you can recruit with presents.) and that they're well rested and you're good to go.

Also, and this is important, don't do Real Estate and Cabaret Club all at once your first time through the game.

I have a pretty high tolerance for grinding this stuff out. Cabaret club seems like especially important to not try to do all at once though. I legit enjoy the real estate stuff though.

So yeah, I'm not sure what you mean by 'scooping' out club mars? Majima is the manager and I have been doing the mini game (bought all the properties too) to earn more fans, but other than that no other event has triggered. I think I am just under 5000 fans. Do I have to wait to do the rival battles to buy the clubs in the other areas? I have strictly stuck to the Mars area.

I guess I could relax more about all this stuff if I knew what the point of no return was or if I knew if certain substories were completely missable. I only have 3 substories left for Kiryu and 8 left for Majima.

I have a pretty high tolerance for grinding this stuff out. Cabaret club seems like especially important to not try to do all at once though. I legit enjoy the real estate stuff though.

So yeah, I'm not sure what you mean by 'scooping' out club mars? Majima is the manager and I have been doing the mini game (bought all the properties too) to earn more fans, but other than that no other event has triggered. I think I am just under 5000 fans. Do I have to wait to do the rival battles to buy the clubs in the other areas? I have strictly stuck to the Mars area.

I guess I could relax more about all this stuff if I knew what the point of no return was or if I knew if certain substories were completely missable. I only have 3 substories left for Kiryu and 8 left for Majima.

There is no point of no return. Even when the game tells you right before the final stage "Are you sure you want to go on? This is the point of no return!" it's not actually. You unlock a free roam mode where you can finish everything you didn't do. And absolutely nothing is missable. (Save for a couple of trophies, but if you're going for platinum, you gotta play the game twice anyway, because of the unlockable Legend difficulty.)

Scooping out the rival club is a cutscene event that happens after you aquired a certain number of fans (Usually half of what's required to trigger the rival battle.) and enter your club. Majima and his buddy go out and take a look at the rival club, meet their top hostess, beat up a few guys etc.

And yeah, you gotta take down the first club before you can make progress in the other areas.

HeeHo

There is no point of no return. Even when the game tells you right before the final stage "Are you sure you want to go on? This is the point of no return!" it's not actually. You unlock a free roam mode where you can finish everything you didn't do. And absolutely nothing is missable. (Save for a couple of trophies, but if you're going for platinum, you gotta play the game twice anyway, because of the unlockable Legend difficulty.)

Scooping out the rival club is a cutscene event that happens after you aquired a certain number of fans (Usually half of what's required to trigger the rival battle.) and enter your club. Majima and his buddy go out and take a look at the rival club, meet their top hostess, beat up a few guys etc.

And yeah, you gotta take down the first club before you can make progress in the other areas.

Awesome. this game is very forgiving with this stuff.

As for that dude who says this game is overrated, I can understand why you feel that way especially with the quest to get those guys booze, but man, wait until you start getting into the meat of the story (which is actually pretty soon for you), it's seriously good stuff. You also don't get much filler content after you pass that part too. It starts to progressively go into the exciting stuff faster.

I always end up way more into the scenes than I thought I was going to be. What I like about it too is that the main story isn't overly corny or chock full of cliched characters like a good amount of Japanese games I have played. It feels as engrossing as something like the Sopranos or some Mafia movie.

The plot does get pretty stupid whenever guns are involved as well as towards the end imo, and there are some corny bits here and there. The orphanage flashback near the very beginning for example (Do orphans not get to dreeeeeeeaaaaam!!!) or some of the stuff coming out of Tachibana's mouth, but that doesn't take away from most of it.

Also, speaking of corny, I kinda really enjoy the naive saturday morning cartoon "We all learned something today." feel of a lot of those substories.

HeeHo

The plot does get pretty stupid whenever guns are involved as well as towards the end imo, and there are some corny bits here and there. The orphanage flashback near the very beginning for example (Do orphans not get to dreeeeeeeaaaaam!!!) or some of the stuff coming out of Tachibana's mouth, but that doesn't take away from most of it.

Also, speaking of corny, I kinda really enjoy the naive saturday morning cartoon "We all learned something today." feel of a lot of those substories.

Haha yeah, a lot of the substories are kinda cheesy but that sentimental music always gets me. They repeat it a lot but it helps make the scenes more 'tender' or something. I enjoy that big brotherly advice Majima and Kiryu are doling out.

Steiner

Banned
Contrary to a poster on the last page, I've actually found the long-winded cut scenes to be really enjoyable. I'm the type of person who loves Tarantino films for their dialog though. I like getting to peek into these fantasy high-level mob scenes through the conversations and lifestyles of the dangerous men who inhabit them, so I've actually really enjoyed getting to know the members of the dojima clan.

I've also only gotten to do one side activity, that first karaoke tune, but I thought it was really charming. I'm really excited about the way this game and its characters are going to open up.

Freeman76

For me its a mix of lots of things. It has such an awesome story though, I was hooked from start to finish in a way I havent been apart from Shenmue and Last of Us.

Humdinger

It's a masculine game, there is nothing wrong in portraiing women as an object as long as is serves the artistic vision. And of course, as long as your common sense tells you that it's just a game.

I personally love the aura of masculinity in the game. Just straight up making money, fighting against your rivals, treat woman as sexual objects. It fits the game so well I think. It's just plain fun for me to act as a badass.

That's a pretty shallow vision of "masculinity." Being a man = making lots of money, fighting, and treating women like sexual objects?

I actually think Yakuza's vision of masculinity is deeper than that. Both the protagonists have very admirable traits -- e.g., courage, integrity, strong ethical code, compassion, loyalty, sacrifice, etc.. (As opposed to GTA, where everyone is just an asshole.)

As for the approach to sex, I don't think it's "masculine." I think "juvenile" probably describes it better -- at least some of it. But like the other guy said, you have to recognize that it's being played for humor, and the writing is good. I don't mind it. I take it in the spirit intended. It just stands out as different, that's all.

Steiner

Banned
That's a pretty shallow vision of "masculinity." Being a man = making lots of money, fighting, and treating women like sexual objects?

I actually think Yakuza's vision of masculinity is deeper than that. Both the protagonists have very admirable traits -- e.g., courage, integrity, strong ethical code, compassion, loyalty, sacrifice, etc.. (As opposed to GTA, where everyone is just an asshole.)

As for the approach to sex, I don't think it's "masculine." I think "juvenile" probably describes it better -- at least some of it. But like the other guy said, you have to recognize that it's being played for humor, and the writing is good. I don't mind it. I take it in the spirit intended. It just stands out as different, that's all.

Jevenile is a great word for it, actually. It's unrefined and self-serving in the most basic way. In part that can be seen as serving the vision of this setting, and in part it's quite obviously just serving as a kind of shallow guilty pleasure. It's hard to describe, really...

Skunkers

I want to point out since I ran into the same thing, the final confrontation with Mars will not trigger if your next main story mission is at The Grand. So if your next story waypoint is at the Grand, go do that first and then you will be able to finish the Cabaret Club. The reason why is because (light non-story spoiler)
part of the final Mars mission takes place in The Grand, so it can't coincide with a story mission there
. That being said, I think it might be higher than 5000 fans for the last club.

HeeHo

I want to point out since I ran into the same thing, the final confrontation with Mars will not trigger if your next main story mission is at The Grand. So if your next story waypoint is at the Grand, go do that first and then you will be able to finish the Cabaret Club. The reason why is because (light non-story spoiler)
part of the final Mars mission takes place in The Grand, so it can't coincide with a story mission there
. That being said, I think it might be higher than 5000 fans for the last club.

Thanks, that's exactly where my next mission is.

openrob

I just finished chapter 6. I felt like you, the more I played, the more the game grew on me. It's such a weird game that I had to forget my expectations of it and accept it fit what it is.

People are heaping tons of praise upon this particular one. I started playing Yakuza 4 when they gave it for free on PS Plus and quite liked it, but as so many other games it got lost in my backlog.

Steiner

Banned
Ooookay I'm getting pretty fucking pissed off in this
first fight with Kuze. He dodges everything, absorbs blows, and lands every single one of his combos. I've tried bobbing and weaving with rush mode and even running circles around him to catch his back, but I've still failed three times in a row.

Finished it tonight. It just... keeps... going... and ratcheting up the action until it all crescendos rather perfectly. LOVE how they handle the dual protagonists in the final chapter. Anyway, easily one of the best games I've played in forever.

That optional boss of Kiryu's can fuck right off, though.

Ooookay I'm getting pretty fucking pissed off in this
first fight with Kuze. He dodges everything, absorbs blows, and lands every single one of his combos. I've tried bobbing and weaving with rush mode and even running circles around him to catch his back, but I've still failed three times in a row.

Dodge behind him as he attacks, so his back is facing you and just use a 2-3 hit combo with either style. Rush doesn't do as much damage but its faster when you have at least 1 heat level. Use a heat move on him when he's on the ground or when you grab him near a wall. Rinse and repeat. I didn't really have many issues with him using this method, as long as he's got his back to you doing his combo he'll be very vulnerable to your counter attacks.

Whatever you do don't attack him head on, he'll just absorb your attacks (as you've found out), bobbing and weaving isn't so great against him either as he just needs one good hit to combo you.

kenta

Has no PEINS
I'm nearing the end of the game and it's really grabbed me. It's funny because I actually tried the original Yakuza on PS2 after Bebpo kept raving about it here on GAF and it just didn't click with me, so I ended up snoozing on the entire series. But now I'm totally onboard from here on out. Funny how tastes change sometimes

Question on the upcoming Kiwami: does it have the real estate management mini game or anything comparable?

Peroroncino

I'm nearing the end of the game and it's really grabbed me. It's funny because I actually tried the original Yakuza on PS2 after Bebpo kept raving about it here on GAF and it just didn't click with me, so I ended up snoozing on the entire series. But now I'm totally onboard from here on out. Funny how tastes change sometimes

Question on the upcoming Kiwami: does it have the real estate management mini game or anything comparable?

I don't think it does, it's a remake of the first entry after all, it has some mini-games but I don't think there's any real estate managment or anything similar.

Syraxith

I'm currently playing through Yakuza 1 (chapter 5) and I love this game but the clunky combat is really annoying. Does it greatly improve in the later games?

Peroroncino

I'm currently playing through Yakuza 1 (chapter 5) and I love this game but the clunky combat is really annoying. Does it greatly improve in the later games?

Yes, 1 is the worst combat wise.

Luckily the remake incorporates 0 combat system with different styles.

There's a demo in the Japanese store you could try out. It's been a few years so I forget what they let you do.

It's also on Hong Kong PSN, which is easier to navigate as it's in english.

Yooo, mad props for playing them in release order.

Yakuza 2 is one of the largest jumps in combat quality. It adds the ability to attack in any direction without having to turn your character around. If I recall the lock on is better too.

The other games incrementally improve combat. Although some people think the combat hasn't changed enough over time. I dunno, I like it.

It is a shame old stories can't be selected for replay because I wanted to show someone the hilarity of some - or make them do one - but there is no way.

It is a shame old stories can't be selected for replay because I wanted to show someone the hilarity of some - or make them do one - but there is no way.

How about starting Premium Adventure without loading your cleared save? I've never done it but I know it's possible and I'd assume it's there so you can redo all the sidestories and business activities at your leasure.

I just finished chapter 6. I felt like you, the more I played, the more the game grew on me. It's such a weird game that I had to forget my expectations of it and accept it fit what it is.

Yeah, Im trying not to be overly negative and I hope it clicks later on but so far, im having a hard time finding the motivation to pick it back up again. Also, I did forget to mention in my bitch post that the heat finishing moves are super awesome and its kind of funny that a murder is such a big deal in the game when just about every finishing move would probably kill somebody.

Wait

Is this the first game you have ever encountered super armor on attack?

that I can remember short of old ass beat em ups.

Skulldead

The hype here is real, i'm about to hit 70 hours in Yakuza 5 (im at final chapter, but i'm trying to 100% it other then minigame that i keep for much later). I want to open my copy of Y0 !!!

Also, I did forget to mention in my bitch post that the heat finishing moves are super awesome and its kind of funny that a murder is such a big deal in the game when just about every finishing move would probably kill somebody.

WgWQ1_f-thumbnail-100-0.jpg

SephLuis

The hype here is real, i'm about to hit 70 hours in Yakuza 5 (im at final chapter, but i'm trying to 100% it other then minigame that i keep for much later). I want to open my copy of Y0 !!!

Be careful about burnout.

I love the series, but it's a known thing that they can get tiring. Especially coming from Y5 which has a badly paced story and tons of content.

Yeah, Im trying not to be overly negative and I hope it clicks later on but so far, im having a hard time finding the motivation to pick it back up again. Also, I did forget to mention in my bitch post that the heat finishing moves are super awesome and its kind of funny that a murder is such a big deal in the game when just about every finishing move would probably kill somebody.

that I can remember short of old ass beat em ups.
Please start a narrative dissonance thread because surely you are the first person to think of this

Skulldead

Be careful about burnout.

I love the series, but it's a known thing that they can get tiring. Especially coming from Y5 which has a badly paced story and tons of content.

Yeah i got it about half of Y5 (after haruka chapter). I nearly only play yakuza series since last october (all side quest for Amon from y1 up to y5). I think my burnout have pass, also i heard Yakuza 0 was much more fun combat and more challenging then Y5 (this is clearly his biggest weakness)

Steiner

Banned
Just unlocked Beast Mode and not sure if I'll ever use it... It's super slow?

Also holy damn @ Mr. Shakedown. I got owned.

Just unlocked Beast Mode and not sure if I'll ever use it... It's super slow?

Also holy damn @ Mr. Shakedown. I got owned.

Beast mode has to be slow, else it'd be even more overpowered than it already is. At the moment you can hit attack when your in close proximity to a weapon (say a bike, motorcycle, street sign etc.) and pick it up instantly and go into a powerful attack. This can destroy normal enemies in a blink of an eye, even bosses (like the second boss) can get destroyed by it with ease.

Then flash forward to much later in the game where you've levelled it up to the point you have multiple new grab and heat moves with it. Its a brilliant style, and one that can make you pretty much invincible to close range combat if your careful (just don't use it against people with guns, you won't get very far!)

Beast style is ..... beastly.

And I'm personally fine with this thread becoming the OT lite.
At least it's still on Gaming Side!

OldHand

Neo Member
I've gotta thank Jimquisition's review for getting me on board with this (although if I'd read this post first I'm sure I'd thank you guys too).

It's crazy and awesome. Crazily awesome. With this and Horizon what a time for gaming.

Anyone got any views on what the remake of one is going to be like with 0's fighting style and 1's plot?

Top Bottom