• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

Log4Girlz

Man this game has the sun-shiniest sunshine. Love the color design and lighting of this game.

I just wanted to say that Alyn Shir looks awesome. I dig the outfit and it would be awesome if we get to hook up with her in the future. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

What outfit?

shaowebb

The mindset of ROLL SON. Its tricky to get in close if you just walk up for kills, but get em turned around and roll in for the range to close too quick for them to notice and its game on. Plus you can loot shopkeepers and townsfolk a lot easier if you put into stealth. Some have some really good gear.

The mindset of ROLL SON. Its tricky to get in close if you just walk up for kills, but get em turned around and roll in for the range to close too quick for them to notice and its game on. Plus you can loot shopkeepers and townsfolk a lot easier if you put into stealth. Some have some really good gear.

Haven't thought about combining the roll when stealthing. Thanks for the tip! I've leveled up a lot of stealth because I really enjoy it in the game.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Far from it, just requires different mindset and playstyle.

The skill isn't super necessary, but the mechanic is great for starting encounters and stealing shit. Doubly so if you have points in Finesse.

Hmmm, I suppose for a stealth oriented character Smoke Bomb is a must, yeah? Because it seems like, 90% of the enemies in Amalur are always grouped together so when you take down one others will be immediately alerted and a grand melee will immediately ensues.

And I don't see how stealing is really useful since money is so easy to get anyways in this game.

What's the most effective weapon set to pair with Daggers? Bows?

vareon

Far from it, just requires different mindset and playstyle.

How would you do it? Enemies just sometimes randomly popped on the ground or grouped in such a way that you either get spotted right away or only get 1 stealth kill before they are alerted. There are times when it worked, though.

Sneaking + blasting a bolt of lightning seems to always one-hit kill an enemy though.

DOA

The only thing I really wish the game had right now (I'm still very early on) is more control config options. I'd really like to be able to switch the run and dodge buttons. X to dodge and O to run would just feel so much better for me.

it's very simple, just buy the PC version (preferably steam) :p

DOA

F!!!!!!!

Beat the House of Ballads boss on HARD (pretty challenging until I restocked) and I got an AWESOME SET DROP only to find myself in a corner beside two PLANT TRAPS that immediately killed me. LOOT LOST.

I beat the boss 8 more times and got nothing close to that set piece :(

ouch, sorry for your loss

Dresden

Kill one > smoke bomb > kill another

That's how it usually goes for me. Sometimes they're grouped in such a way that you can stealth them all, but eh.

Duki

Banned
stealth is kind of useless

not in the sense that it doesnt work or kill the shit out of dudes

but in that just running into dudes and whacking them with a stick or a sword kills enemies so quickly anyway that its far slower mucking about with stealth overall

doesnt hurt you if you like it tho, just kinda slows you down

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Haven't played since the release day, but when I ran Origin today to download the ME3 demo, it downloaded a 90+MB patch for Reckoning. Do we know what has been changed/fixed? Can't find the info on the official site/facebook/twitter. :|

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Faeblades in general has a much higher attack value than daggers, yeah? Considering the "enemies grouped together" --> "stealth kill one" --> "others immediately alerted" ---> "grand melee" circumstances, would it then be better to use Faeblades instead of daggers? The art of assassin also unlocks stealth kills and additional damage for stealth kills using Faeblades, yes?

Rokam

It only took me 40 levels but I finally finished a set of armor geared towards Might. Should end up beating the game tomorrow, sidequests & lorestones included. Will have around 60-65 hours played when I'm done. Still have the crime related achievements left, and the traps one, but I'll pick those up on a second run through.

Faeblades don't get the stealth kill animation that the daggers have (damage is obscene, like 25K obscene), I think they just get crits.

I have stealth maxed out thanks to a few accessories that give me +3. Don't think I really need it that high, but I couldn't think of where else to put the points. It doesn't really feel right having a petite little elf woman banging away at a forge which is why I don't have any points in smithing.

Rokam

Just realized I played the entire way through w/o picking up the compass of fate from the starting area. Went to go see the stats on the Omniblades and saw it sitting in the chest :(.

Rokam

What the hell is the compass of fate?

Gamestop preorder bonus, gives +1 to persuasion as long as it's in your inventory.

Anyone that's finished the Long Overdue task (gathering the 10 books)
seriously 350 gold? What the flying fuck...fuck that guy I'm going to burn down his whole damn monastery

Pkaz01

faeblades look so badass but yea stealth is pretty useless unless you do big damage to a boss but then its worthless because all you need to do is press x and you destroy the group plus the boss and gets extra xp.

Naeblish

So, after respeccing 4 times i'm having the most fun with Greatswords/staffs and the Sorcery skills. Bows are fun too but their damage seems kinda low ( having full points in the first 2 skills). Finesse felt really weak around lvl 8, all that swinging with faeblades where you do more damage from 1 swing with the greatsword, and stealth felt pointless. Gonna give it another try at lvl 24 though, when i can get gambit and smoke bomb.

Currently lvl 16 and just finished House of ballads, what's the recommended level to go to the next zone? I want to avoid fighting all grey mobs.

Man, whenever I need repair kits I can never find them. I go through these like crazy, but there's no rhyme or reason to which merchants stock and don't stock them. They're never where you'd expect them to be - like a shop that houses both weapon & armour sellers and a blacksmith in the biggest city in the game, no repair kits. Super frustrating.

Also, I'm getting kind of annoyed with enemy mages in this game, simply because they can do things the player can't do - like hover above the ground, float out of range incredibly quickly, shoot multiple fireballs in super quick succession, blink teleport out of an attackers combo, etc. Fuck that.

Aselith

So after hitting 10 hours, here are the things I would really like to see fixed as far as the camera goes.

1. Camera improvements - Camera is really poor at following action. I move around a lot and I constantly have to fiddle with the camera to reposition it which is especially bad if you're moving to the side. I think the changes I'll propose next would help this a lot but it would still be great for the default camera to improve also.

2. Change target button moved to the left stick - It is fucking awkward to have the switch target on the right stick in my opinion moreso with the camera problems because I have to stop fiddling with that to keep my guy in view to change target. Much easier to click on the left side and allows you to manipulate the camera while changing targets also.

3. Right stick changed to toggle a behind the back view - Sometimes I want the camera to remain rigidly behind me in this game. I think this would help greatly with camera woes and also make it much easier to keep targets in view as you move around. It is great to be able to move the camera around most of the time but when I'm fighting I'd mostly just rather have it behind me and I'll keep shit in view. I'm playing an archery class and having the camera always aimed straight forward would be much better for me in general playing that class.

What do you guys think of those changes?

Torraz

There's no need to put any points into stealth for stealing.

You can simply go into stealth, get detected, throw a smokebomb and clear yourself of attention instantly.

Grinchy

Banned
Anyone else have this weird issue? When I go to name an item I've just made, it keeps entering the informtion when I hit the space bar. So, I have a few good pieces of gear now that are the first word of what I meant to name them.

I assume it has to do with me using a PS3 controller via motioninjoy. Just wanted to see if anyone else had this issue.

fuuian

Neo Member
Anyone that's finished the Long Overdue task (gathering the 10 books)
seriously 350 gold? What the flying fuck...fuck that guy I'm going to burn down his whole damn monastery

Yeah.
I was expecting a much better quest reward after traversing the kingdom to find his overdue books.

Wallach

Anyone know offhand what the maximum base damage of a staff rod component is? They're better than the component from
Rivener Tarsus
, right?

eshwaaz

The only thing I really wish the game had right now (I'm still very early on) is more control config options. I'd really like to be able to switch the run and dodge buttons. X to dodge and O to run would just feel so much better for me.

It's not what you're asking for, but switching run to the left analog button made a big difference for me. Allows you to maintain camera control while sprinting.

lucius

Amazon just emailed me $20 credit for this game even though I bought it full price, their price guarantee is great. Just preordered Mass Effect 3 which will end up being like $34 with release day delivery since you get $10 credit with that game.

This game is bad for my health. I played almost 3 hours straight and it felt like nothing.

Did a couple of pretty funny quests including Tirin's Secret and Waters of Madness. The latter has multiple endings and one is beyond hilarious
the melancholic one

The quality of the sidequests continually astonishes me. They can be really great at times.

Also, decided to start rocking a Greatsword on my rogue and so far it's been... bananas. Smoke bomb + dat wide swing arc = a whole lot of dead bodies.

TyCcz.jpg

Decided to take this screenshot with my baller Scorpion looking mask

xGjV4.jpg

Hobbun

So, I played a couple more hours last night (felt more like 30 minutes) and I think I am finally hitting my groove with combat. I am on hard difficulty and have had my share of deaths. Mainly just because I’ve been sloppy and was not using my shield/spell effectively.

I started doing the quest
where I had to help an NPC retrieve a relic from Waterfall Cavern (I believe that’s the name). It was pretty easy, especially as I had the NPC’s help. But when I tried to disarm one of the traps surrounding the relic’s chest, I got too close, it went boom and I died.

It was my own doing as I didn’t heal myself before attempting to disarm. The last time I saved was just outside of the cave, so lost about 10 minutes, not too bad. Will pick it up again tonight. I really love this game.

lucius

I am more use to the camera in the game now but I honestly don't see much of a difference from the demo, was that just PR they were gonna fix it in final game?

Maybe it is because I have not played demo in a while but I played it at least 5 hours

scy

Anyone know offhand what the maximum base damage of a staff rod component is? They're better than the component from
Rivener Tarsus
, right?

119 (Ice), 138 (Lightning), 157 (Fire).

Edit: That would be 84 Ice/Lightning/Fire with 35 Freezing, 54 Shocking, or 73 Burning damage if you want specifics.

Carm

I am more use to the camera in the game now but I honestly don't see much of a difference from the demo, was that just PR they were gonna fix it in final game?

Maybe it is because I have not played demo in a while but I played it at least 5 hours

They never stated the camera would be fixed in the retail build. If it's going to be fixed at all, it was always gonna be in a patch later.

Wallach

Nah, they said it was going to be a post-release patch, which we don't yet know how soon is coming.

I think when I hit 109 ability points, I'm going to swap into the Universalist Destiny. I don't really want to do it before then, but the final bonus (unlock all weapon skills for free) just sounds like a neat way to play out the rest of the game.

So Amazon dropped the price of the 360 version by 15 bucks for three days last week. I emailed them and asked if those of us that bought it two days prior get the new price and they said it's not their policy, but they credited my account 15 bucks anyway. This morning I received an email from Amazon stating something to the effect of "Since you bought KOA at full price prior to Feb 12th, here's a code for a 20 dollar credit. Must be used by Feb 12, 2013". So thanks, Amazon. ME3 is now 14.99. I assume all you other Amazon purchasers received the same email.

Hobbun

How do trainers work, exactly?

I understand there are three trainers for each skill (0-3, 4-6, 7-10). But is there a character level limit I can visit a low trainer (i.e. 0-3)?

There are some skills I want to wait on raising, but I don’t want to do so if I come back later (at a higher character level) and find out I am too high level to train that 0 Blacksmithing level.

scy

Worked fine in Torchlight, Borderlands, Sacred 2, etc. Not the case here. I'm sticking with "it's badly designed".

You are literally the only person to say that store bought equipment is too good so I'm going to go with you being wrong.

How do trainers work, exactly?

I understand there are three trainers for each skill (0-3, 4-6, 7-10). But is there a character level limit I can visit a low trainer (i.e. 0-3)?

There are some skills I want to wait on raising, but I don’t want to do so if I come back later (at a higher character level) and find out I am too high level to train that 0 Blacksmithing level.

Those skill ranges are the levels of the skill you can train. If you have 4 in a Skill, the 0-3 Trainer can do nothing for you. Your character level is irrelevant, though a lower character level makes respeccing to get them all a lot easier.

So Amazon dropped the price of the 360 version by 15 bucks for three days last week. I emailed them and asked if those of us that bought it two days prior get the new price and they said it's not their policy, but they credited my account 15 bucks anyway. This morning I received an email from Amazon stating something to the effect of "Since you bought KOA at full price prior to Feb 12th, here's a code for a 20 dollar credit. Must be used by Feb 12, 2013". So thanks, Amazon. ME3 is now 14.99. I assume all you other Amazon purchasers received the same email.
I got this email before I left the house this morning, but when I got to work and was going to enter the code for the $20 credit, it had vanished from my gmail account. I didn't delete it, it honestly just disappeared. WTF Amazon?
Edit: Never mind, I must have swiped the trash button accidentally on my phone, found it. Boy do I feel dumb...

ParityBit

I got this email before I left the house this morning, but when I got to work and was going to enter the code for the $20 credit, it had vanished from my gmail account. I didn't delete it, it honestly just disappeared. WTF Amazon?
Edit: Never mind, I must have swiped the trash button accidentally on my phone, found it. Boy do I feel dumb...

Haha. I feel for you! But you were going to blame Amazon because an email disappeared from your email?

Top Bottom