• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bill Nye Saves the World Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Episode 1 is the weakest by far, which is sad since it is about climate change and the attitude in this series is very aggressive.

Also, when I got to the Noah's Ark bit and thought it was funny, my mom started in on how we have evidence of an ark.

What? Evidence of Noah's Ark?

N° 2048

Eight episodes in, I'm enjoying it, but as someone who is very into science I'm not really learning much I didn't already know. Preaching to the choir, indeed. It feels like the intellectual level is aimed at people who aren't actually gonna watch it. Or kids, but it's clearly not meant for them.

Still, fun.

Yep. Pretty much falling asleep. They are doing like basic experiments :/

I'd rather just see them talk. No audience too.

JJH

49535993c40bb148950a6d10f1699605f0784781.jpeg

I need to get this setup at home so I can watch it the way it's meant to.

dab0ne

Man, this is a really weird show. I think the live audience part just makes it feel surreal. I guess he's trying something different here, but it's just odd to have him doing science stuff and having an audience react in various ways. The panel discussion, at least in the first episode, wasn't very well done. It was basically just that one dude talking, it might as well have been a 1-on-1 interview. But Bill is as funny and charming as ever. And the Bill Needs a Minute segment where he goes off about climate change denial was raw.

Yeah I don't care for the live audience format but the show itself was passable. Good information presented in a way that felt kinda hokey to me.

Bgamer90

Banned
I really like the show so far. Feels like a typical Comedy Central show/format but will Bill Nye. Not amazing but it's entertaining. I grew up watching Bill Nye too so that definitely plays a role.

namDa65

First episode is very basic. Like other posters said, the information presented is at grade 5 level science even though they want to target adults.

Hope it gets better.

Bgamer90

Banned
First episode is very basic. Like other posters said, the information presented is at grade 5 level science even though they want to target adults.

Hope it gets better.

Yeah, there's nothing too deep. I feel they targeted adults due to nostalgia. This being on Netflix will make it easy for teachers to show it to their students so I'm not really disappointed that the show isn't very in depth. Still interesting to watch and see the points being made though.

N° 2048

Now that I think about it, maybe this show is best watched while cleaning/gaming/working out or something.

Also, man, that guest on the second ep (the film maker or whatever) when talking about alternative medicine.

So extra...

LordOfChaos

Feels like this is targetted a bit younger than I was expecting I guess, thought it was going after the crowd that grew up on him, but it seems aimed a bit younger (how do, fellow emoji kids?). Some of the humour is also forced and the storytelling pacing was a bit off. Enjoyable enough though, hopefully it gets better as it goes.

I thought one of his co-hosts was stupid attractive, go figure, Karlie Kloss is a model everyone but me knew I guess :p

Karlie-Kloss-800px.jpg

Bgamer90

Banned
Feels like this is targetted a bit younger than I was expecting I guess, thought it was going after the crowd that grew up on him, but it seems aimed a bit younger (how do, fellow emoji kids?).

The advertising definitely did ("I'm back!" Videos) but the show itself seems to be for pretty much all ages.

Capitan

The advertising definitely did ("I'm back!" Videos) but the show itself seems to be for pretty much all ages.

it's weird because the humor seems like its aimed at kids, but then out of nowhere he references black tar heroin or says some other adult stuff.

I've got mixed feelings about this show, cause there are a lot of adults in america that need to hear this stuff, but i'm feeling the "preaching to the choir" feeling as well, and i feel like anyone who doesn't believe in climate change is just going to ignore him or not watch it.
I do really like what he's trying to do, though.

Pomerlaw

Feels like this is targetted a bit younger than I was expecting I guess, thought it was going after the crowd that grew up on him, but it seems aimed a bit younger (how do, fellow emoji kids?). Some of the humour is also forced and the storytelling pacing was a bit off. Enjoyable enough though, hopefully it gets better as it goes.

I thought one of his co-hosts was stupid attractive, go figure, Karlie Kloss is a model everyone but me knew I guess :p

Karlie-Kloss-800px.jpg

da fuck

hellooooo lady

My 4 year old nephew is obsessed with the old show, so I put on the new one when I was babysitting him today. Bill Needs a Minute was cracking me up. You know we're in a bad spot when Bill Nye sounds like Peter Finch in Network.

network1976.jpg

Wait for Rachel Bloom's episode 9 song on sexuality. I love it, but it's not for all ages.

Featuring lyrics like:
"This world of ours is full of choice
But must I choose between only John or Joyce?
Are my options only hard or moist?
My vagina has its own voice."

"Cause my sex junk is so oh, oh, oh
Much more than Either-or, or, or
Power bottom or a top off
Versatile love may have some butt stuff"

"Give someone new a handy"

"Who enjoys a Fleshlight in the cold moonlight"

Xater

If you are I tune with what us going on in the world of science this is a really boring show. It's just way too surface level for me. I also really don't enjoy the live audience format. I can't see myself watching more after this first episode.

Watched the first episode...it was ok. Liked his explanation of global warming but I dont necessarily agree about his stance on nuclear. He didn't even let the panelist speak.

Kinda seemed a bit amateurish as well but that's to be expected from the first episode.

Wait for Rachel Bloom's episode 9 song on sexuality. I love it, but it's not for all ages.

Featuring lyrics like:

Finally. A track to rival Jazz Fever

Emerson

May contain jokes =>

Featuring lyrics like:

That shit was honestly painful to watch. It's got absolutely nothing to do with the message, but man it was really rough.

MikeDown

Banned
I love Bill Nye, but can't say I really like the show so far. Don't really like the format, not to mention it seems fairly dumbed down and far to broad. I've only seen the first episode so far, so we'll see if that changes.

Hope it gets better.

Then it's at the same mental level as the people denying climate change ;)

jk

I have been watching the show and i enjoy it. The audience is cheesy and i could do without that but i still like the show. Also, Bill Nye was the last person i expected to have a rap song as his shows theme.

I must be in the minority, because I just watched the first episode and thought it was straight fire. I mean gotdamn, does Bill go off here. Straight to the point, no bullshit. I loved it.

Then I went to the shows IMDB page and saw the reviews and got very very sad for the world. We're fucked, people.

sk3

Banned
I must be in the minority, because I just watched the first episode and thought it was straight fire. I mean gotdamn, does Bill go off here. Straight to the point, no bullshit. I loved it.

Then I went to the shows IMDB page and saw the reviews and got very very sad for the world. We're fucked, people.

It gets worse.

I watch the whole season over the weekend in the background. It's just very basic and corny as hell. Also the audience makes things really awkward sometimes. Karlie Kloss was actually the best part, which is strange for a science show. She always seemed really into whatever report she was giving. Speaking of, the reports were very short. You send someone across the world for a 2-3 minute video? Just burning that netflix cash. I think the show would be better as an hour.

And now I can't even give it 2 or 3 stars. Damn netflix.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
This show is hot garbage... it's not really something my kids will like or watch.. and it's all shit we already know.

The people it seems to be aimed at teaching aren't going to watch.

Then again, call it blasphemy.. but Mr. Wizard was so much better... then again that's nostalgia as I grew up in the 70's-80's.. but the time Nye became a thing I was in High School.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
This reminds me of that Mythbusters B-team show, where you don't really learn anything.

The panels seem pointless, the skits are pretty bad, and they only do anything scientific for less than a minute. That leaves the remotes, which are okay, but they're a tiny part of the show.

Krogan

There isn't even that much to teach, I watched a few minutes of episode 2 and I'm wondering why are they covering such low hanging fruit as using sounds from a guys mouth to cure illnesses. I can't imagine the folks that believe in that shit to even know of this shows existence. The show is capable of interesting stuff like how Venice is trying to solve its rising tides problem and the panel on energy (if Bill would let them answer questions for long enough).

Bgamer90

Banned
Wait for Rachel Bloom's episode 9 song on sexuality. I love it, but it's not for all ages...

I just heard about this earlier. I only watched the first three episodes. I'm really surprised that was on the show considering the tone of the first three episodes. Would love to know what they were thinking with that.

Seems that the show mixes target audiences for different episodes. Doesn't seem ideal/smart at all.

There isn't even that much to teach, I watched a few minutes of episode 2 and I'm wondering why are they covering such low hanging fruit as using sounds from a guys mouth to cure illnesses. I can't imagine the folks that believe in that shit to even know of this shows existence. The show is capable of interesting stuff like how Venice is trying to solve its rising tides problem and the panel on energy (if Bill would let them answer questions for long enough).

That panelist 'discussion' was a joke. Anything that went against Bill's opinion he was straight up "NOPE LALALA UR WRONG LOL" condicendingly

For being so pro-science, his views seem ideologically motivated and not pragmatic.

Tried watching it, turned off the first episode halfway through.

It has the same problem a other fairly recent Bill Nye show-thing had: it lacks good pacing.

What made the original show so good is it was quick, frantic pacing. Bill was hyped up and ready to go, and the editing, while cheesy and obnoxious looking back, helped move things along at a brisk pace. You never spent too much time on one topic, hoping from piece to piece, which built on top of each other for that episodes lesson.

What they're trying to go for here is a much more mature take on that show, which is commendable, but they've slowed it the fuck down. The opening thermometer bit took 2x too long than it should have, because they didn't want to edit it, because they have this live audience gimmick. The correspondents provide interesting takes on the topic around the world, but again, too slow. The kids segments in the original show provided a similar role, doing experiments and showing real world examples, but the new show is trying to be more documentary like rather than fun and educational.

Piggus

Just watched episode 3 and thought it was much better than the first two. I love Bill Nye and BNtSG was my favorite show as a kid, so I'm liking this so far.

Yukinari

Seeing Alton Brown and Bill Nye together is the most genius combination for media.

They need to do a new food show together combining their skills.

The Lamp

My god...never have I seen such squandered potential.

Important content, like the Venice visit and the simple chemistry experiments.

Terribad humor, editing, pacing, and awkward script. Leo DiCaprio's movie does a better job of tackling this issue.

Formless

Watched episode 1 and parts of 2, was cringey for me. I don't really see this being engaging for anybody much less attractive to someone who wants to learn things. Feels aimless and ranty.

tiva

Neo Member
i loved bill nye when i was a kid but i really hate this wil wheaton felicia day geeky nerd culture pandering bullshit that netflix has been pulling lately. also i thought the show format was really weird and didn't work in my opinion. i felt like i was being talked down on. seems like a show for the same brain-dead morons that love the "I Fucking Love Science" facebook page

I think it's generally to teach middle aged uneducated people to stop believing dumb shit.
Many people do believe the shit that the show talks about, there's a reason shows like Dr.Oz are popular.

I mean yeah a lot of us know this shit already, but there are many that don't and just believe whatever is put Infront of them. It's nice to have someone talk against that shit even if I already know and understand what they're talking about.

Piggus

Well...duh? I mean, if you're a climate change denier or anti-voxxor, you probably aren't even paying attention to any science show.

I disagree. The town I live in is very liberal and doesn't deny climate change, but has the second highest vaccine exemption rate in the country and is full of people who are scared of GMOs. I think people in general who grew up with Bill Nye will be interested regardless of their political background or scientific knowledge.

Rizific

i was about to shut this shit off once the very first bit started with that garbage ass "artist" designer. on the 2nd episode and its ok so far. will probably watch the whole series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom