• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Politico on Trump's terrible deal making with Trumpcare.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voyr

Banned
The way I see it, it's not about executing perfectly as it is about gradually constructing a narrative and playing certain sides against one another to create chaos in which he has the advantage.

Wouldn't constructing a useful narrative not include attaching your Presidency to a bill that some/most were already calling Ryancare, so that said chaos between opposing sides isn't your problem?

Or are you just hoping.

studyguy

Anyway April is literally his last month of his first 100 days and Senate goes into recess all of April while the House is on like two weeks in April iirc. Anything that comes down left in his first 100 will be EOs. Bet on it.

mozfan12

Banned
Idiot is still trying to force through his policies as if he were a popular president. His numbers are tanking and not even republicans are eating his shit. Hopefully this will be standard procedure, at least till he is hopefully impeached.

Furyous

If it went through then he's an even worse position given the fact his supporters are just now barely waking up to the havoc they wrought on their own homes:

Trumpcare winds up costing them $3600 in insurance costs per year. Jesus tier cheap plan runs about $90 per month for a single person...
24 million people lose healthcare and another 155 million people that receive health insurance via employer are impacted negatively.
AARP makes sure none of their members vote for Trump again once their costs go up 15%.
The final "WTF, you've really fucked me over" moment comes after these people realize rich people get an estimated $594 billion tax cut over the life of Trumpcare

^^ Imagine all this happening in an election year.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I responded to this in my previous responses to you. Do you want me to just say that he had a plan to win an election so you can continue responding to the rest of what I said, or was this your only response?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that we are in agreement that his presidential win, doesn't speak to his ability to get things done, post election. Which is what started this entire exchange. I thought when you said that the items you listed doesn't mean that he necessarily has a plan, and that you were listing his successes because you were under the impression I said that he was never successful in his life, was just that. But now, him winning an election is significant again?

And we are still back to the point of a list of failures speaking to a strategy of illegal action, poor vetting, and lying to his voters about paying for a border wall, etc, etc. is some how shooting for the stars, or over promising?

I think we're getting our wires crossed a little here. Let's just take it back to the previous post.

There is no need to be cocky, the court system has spoken.

The intent behind that comment is to warn people not to underestimate him like they did during the election. We can't afford to have such short term memory.

. He isn't over proposing, or shooting for the stars. Lets stop the buzzwords, and use factual definitions of what is actually happening.

Yes, he is. I'll give another example. Trump's budget showed cuts to NASA. The actual funding legislation that he just signed is almost the same as last year. In fact, it is slightly larger. Trump is just fine with the outcome, and Democrats think they have achieved a victory for passing legislation that is basically the status quo.

I asked specifically if his inability to get anything done, speaks to a master plan. (in a thread about the presidents latest failure) Which was in response, to you. You're discussing the OP. Which is about the presidents inability to negotiate.

He's already done some things to that effect. Now, granted, not everything is a perfect negotiation that is just according to keikaku. But neither is it all some random bumbling either.

Inherently if hes president, he has won the presidency. Which has nothing to do with actually getting a plan executed.
That has everything to do with a plan being executed. He planned to win the presidency and he did.

You are correct, a list of his previous history doesn't supplement the idea that there is a plan in the works. There isn't one. Just like the GOP couldn't come up with a healthcare alternative in almost a decade. They've won, but no one seemingly planned to do so. His poor vetting also suggests this.He isn't an idiot, he just isn't qualified to be president, and he has surrounded himself with people who don't have american interests as their focus. He is a self proclaimed billionaire, that has no idea how to run the country. Thats the sole take home from his actions which speak louder than all of his words. Hes good at bouncing back from a bankruptcy or two, but that doesn't make him capable of getting things done in the white house. Which would be hard to do, as he is taxing us millions to not even be at the whitehouse.
All valid criticisms, but my caution is that it's still too early to see any big picture results yet. Again, don't underestimate him.

This is why its absurd when people seemingly suggest that there could be some strategy here. If this is what strategy looks like, its not going to work in the White House.
Possibly too early to say yet.

And its going to run counter to the quality of life and stability of Americans.
That we can agree on.

The biggest problem is that Trump has absolutely zero leverage here.

Everyone hated the bill, AARP, the Koch brothers' group, Club for Growth, etc. all came out against it. Trump not giving two shits about the specifics made it impossible for him to mediate the process because nothing they threw in there was actually useful for the end goal. For every Freedom Caucus dumbass he won over by screwing over more people he lost another moderate (and the interest groups ramped up their opposition), and even then the Freedom Caucus realized they could get away with demanding more.

Dude's approval rating is barely treading above the 40s and has been negative almost the minute he walked in the door. When Obama started the process of legislating ACA (which he was involved in from the beginning which allowed him to deal with specific concerns while crafting the bill rather than have it all come to a head at a critical moment), his approvals were in the 60s. They were considerably lower by the time he passed it, but still better than Trump's and by that point they were far enough along (versions had already passed the House and Senate) that the downside of coming out empty handed might have been even worse.

No Congressman worth two fucks is going to die on Trump's hill. Obama had a movement behind him - one that wasn't very efficient at electing people downballot, but his leadership was important enough for Democrats to take tough votes. If ACA survives Trump's presidency and stabilizes he's easily a top 10 president.

Trump is an idiot who was elected by accident pushing a shitty bill that has a 17% approval rating. And now he's trying to pin this on the Democrats. "Yeah, you'll take the fall for stopping this bill that nobody liked and would have drastically reduced the quality of life for millions of people!" Gee, that'll learn us.

Like I don't know if they'll be able to regroup and come up with a repeal of ACA that works for everyone in the party or what, maybe this story still doesn't have a happy ending, but jesus Trump couldn't have fucked this up any harder.

erawsd

As happy as I am to see this whole thing fail, theres something especially disconcerting on the idea that most of the Republicans that sunk this thing didn't sink it because of how bad this would be for the American people or because millions would lose coverage... they sunk it because it didn't fuck us over enough. They wanted to strip out even more of the basic benefits like ER visits, preventive services, and maternity/infant care.

Neo C.

I'm going to repeat myself again, just as I did all last year and the year before: Don't get cocky, kid.

I don't think he (personally) has any great plans, but I can get behind this. Back to work guys, Trump already has done way too much damage and will continue to do so.

Spectone

I always thought it strange that in the USA the presidential election is won by the person who has the most money spent on their campaign. In other countries you need a platform and policies. Trump claims he has policies but they are actually just one sentence summaries of his plans. That would not pass muster in most democracies.

sonicmj1

Yep, it's one thing to make deal from a position of extreme strength where everyone ultimately has one end goal (making money). It's entirely different when the playing field is relatively even, and even more so when everyone there is motivated by a number of different things from ideals to religious beliefs to money to popularity

The other thing about business is that generally there are a lot of different parties that can accomplish any given task you need.

You can piss off a construction company and blow up a deal by playing hardball and it's fine, because you can always find another person willing to build if they think they can make money off it. Heck, Trump has maintained a real estate empire while alienating almost every single major financial institution. It's okay, because there are always more people with money out there.

In politics, you deal with a limited group of people, and you can't walk away from them. If you torpedo one project, that will impact every other deal you make for the rest of your term. That applies to both domestic and foreign policy. You can't bully your way into getting what you want, because you can't realistically exit any of those relationships if they don't go your way.

Trump has been learning that the hard way, first with foreign policy (Mexico and the wall), and now with domestic policy.

What you quoted is nothing at all alike. I told y'all to stop taking Trump so lightly back in 2015 and look what happened. Don't make the same mistake again.
Yeah, that guy saying Trump is playing 4 dimensional chess is totally different from you saying Trump is 4 dimensional chess.
It's premature to discount Trump's overall game plan at this moment, IMO.

Perhaps, but that wouldn't demonstrate to the American public and to conservatives in particular, that the establishment Republican leadership is useless.

Green Yoshi

I keep imagining what a presidential moment will look like for him, it's such a stark contrast of character after someone as eloquent as Obama. Four or more years of this is going to be very tiresome.
"Stupid White Men" by Michael Moore was released less than eight months after George W. Bushs inauguration. Before 9/11 his approval ratings were really bad. Perhaps there will be a turning point for Donald Trump, too.

Oersted

That's some grade A sleuthing right there.

I see you haven't watched Star Wars.

We are reaching a level which is too low even for me, so be aware that this is my last reply to this. Learn using quotes when they make sense. Thanks in advance.

Now humour me again: What was again your point?

Breads

Banned
20-25% of the budget... millions of lives... "little shit".

2020 election? "Big picture".

This is the person you voted to represent your interests you stupid populist fucks.

Permanently A

There are people on /r/the_donald vehemently claiming this was all part of Trump's master plan to get rid of Paul Ryan.

4D chess indeed

jelly

He can't fail upwards anymore, elevator to hell awaits.

Not enough bribes and strong arming the little man. I'm shocked his business practices don't work in politics.

Ha, he called New York Times to initiate interview despite them being "Fake news"

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/24/us/politics/donald-trump-health-care.html?_r=0

“Look, we got no Democratic votes. We got none, zero,” Mr. Trump said in a telephone interview he initiated with The New York Times.

“The good news is they now own health care. They now own Obamacare.”

Mr. Trump insisted that the Affordable Care Act would collapse in the next year, which would then force Democrats to come to the bargaining table for a new bill.

Binabik15

Run with a crowd that'd stab you in the back without blinking. Give them ample opportunity to stab you in the front, Ides of March-style. Bigly deal.

Mr. Sam

What's been plainly obvious to many for a long time: Trump isn't a negotiator or a deal-maker; he's a bully and a conman.

Aselith

Trump wanted to emphasize the political ramifications of the bill's defeat; specifically, he said, it would derail his first-term agenda and imperil his prospects for reelection in 2020.

You guys are really bustin my chops here. Give old Gil a bill, guys. C'mon please I'm begging ya.

Bill Clinton had a string of failures too, but still got reelected.

Bush with full power still couldn't get tax reform done.

But neither of them have failed as obviously as Donald, and they knew where the blame lied.

This is new territory, but if Trump never learns the word "humility" and "compromise", he'll soon wish he lost the election.

Of course, his luck could change. That's why we got to stay vigilant. Don't deny it though: the man is in a hole like we have never seen.

It's all part of the 4D chess game he's playing, baby!
Not saying that I agree with him - but wasn't rentahamster one of the only people that consistently said that trump could get elected on this forum. It certainly appears that trump has no fucking plan and is spinning his wheels but
A/ it certainly appeared that the election was in the bag for Hilary, and while these are unrelated it certainly makes me doubt GAF and my own punditry in general
B/ evil as he is, bannon is not an idiot. And sadly, given how well they are doing elections wise, neither are republicans

But certainly I hope that occam razor applies and that they are going to go from disaster to disaster due to complete incompetence
(Please check my post history before accusing me of concern trolling / being a closet republican)

Haunted

I can kinda see where rentahamster is coming from. He's just saying that democrats should still bring their A game and not underestimate their opponent just because he's a moron.

I think you do need someone like that, a chicken little/devil's advocate type character to keep everyone else on their toes.

Slayven

Bill Clinton had a string of failures too, but still got reelected.

Bush with full power still couldn't get tax reform done.

But neither of them have failed as obviously as Donald, and they knew where the blame lied.

This is new territory, but if Trump never learns the word "humility" and "compromise", he'll soon wish he lost the election.

Of course, his luck could change. That's why we got to stay vigilant. Don't deny it though: the man is in a hole like we have never seen.

He blinked in a game of chicken with the crazies of his party, the crazies that should be his people. He lost a lot of capital this last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom