• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divorce - Sarah Jessica Parker comedy by co-creator of Catastrophe - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I thought this episode was pretty weak. Felt like the show wanted to get its duck in a row for some more amusing scenarios down the line. I mean obviously we know the mediation isn't going to go well so you're just sorta waiting for the other shoe to drop on that idea. The scene with Bryan/Ryan at the office was good though.

Yeah, I thought it was mediocre as well. Liked the bit about the no call list though.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight!

Gustav

Robert hires a lawyer, much to Frances' surprise, so she counters with one of her own. Meanwhile, Frances tries to get the attention of a well-known artist; and Nick is wary of Robert's get-rich-quick scheme.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Catching up on Episode 5. I loved all the scenes with the lawyers. Dean Winters is of course a scene stealer. They got a great supporting cast going between him and Molly Shannon.

Macam

Banned
I'm caught up on this season and it's just so....flat.

It's sort of settled into trying to be a full blown comedy, largely on THC's shoulders, but it's just not that funny. THC feels like he's rehashing a tamer, more predictable version of Jack from Sideways; SJP is just there and seems to lack any sort of emotional or comedic counterweight. Everyone else barely registers as much of a character. The divorce process is the only plot driver and that seems to be meandering around for some unrealized comedic effect.

I want to like this show, and it's not terrible, but it's really lacking in the writing and direction.

I'm still digging it but I agree that it isn't that consistently funny.

I'd say in terms of current HBO offerings it's better than Westworld but worse than Insecure.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Finally caught up. Robert is so thirsty and then he falls ass backward into pussy. Haha. I enjoyed the tiny little glimpses into the supporting characters' Christmas in Episode 6.

Grizzlyjin

I'm catching up again! Haha

Episode 8. I thought Robert was just being conniving with the going to church ploy, but I think he's just completely lost. He went from being kinda goofy and aloof to full blown psycho at the end of this episode.

Felt really bad for Frances. Watching her tank that job opportunity was awkward as hell. Might have been the first episode where someone was 100% sympathetic. Even when she was being catty in regards to Robert's newfound happiness, she immediately admitted it.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Jenny Bicks Joins ‘Divorce’ As New Showrunner

Former Sex and the City executive producer Jenny Bicks is returning to HBO and reuniting with the star and fellow executive producer of the iconic 1998 comedy series, Sarah Jessica Parker.

Bicks has signed an overall deal with HBO. Under the pact, she has joined the network’s dark comedy series Divorce, created and executive produced by Sharon Horgan and starring Parker, as executive producer and showrunner for the upcoming second season. She replaces Paul Simms, who is exiting over creative differences. Filming will start after Bicks takes a few weeks to work on scripts. Horgan, who is juggling two series, Divorce and the Channel 4/Amazon comedy Catastrophe, continues to be integrally involved creatively.

Season one was far from perfect, so I'm okay with them switching things up for season two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom