• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looking - Season One - THIS ONE'S FOR THE GAYS!! - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalan

Just started the episode, but I paused to post this:

Richie is way hotter without the beard. Surprisingly, it makes him look older.

EDIT: Kevin being at the wedding, conveniently after Patrick and Richie have a fight. I want to see Kevin and Pat get together just as much as the next queen....but that was a ridiculous coincidence by any stretch of the imagination.

EDIT 2: YAAASSSS MOM! You TELL him! "It ain't MY damn fault Richie ain't here!"

Ehn. Weakest episode since the pilot, IMO. Felt awfully contrived and all of the conflicts, aside from the one between Patrick and his mom, felt canned. Sorry to see the show dip after several strong outings but this one felt like a victim of the half hour format. I can imagine the ep having been more organic feeling as an hour. Ah well, here's hoping for a strong season finisher.

Bladenic

Yeah I wasn't crazy about this episode either. And while I'm happy Richie will be in S2, I really wonder what his role will be considering they're trying so hard to show how doomed the Patty/Richie relationship is.

kirblar

Yeah I wasn't crazy about this episode either. And while I'm happy Richie will be in S2, I really wonder what his role will be considering they're trying so hard to show how doomed the Patty/Richie relationship is.
Augustin is replaced by Richie. No one ever remarks about it. We are all much happier.

This episode was totally a sleeper outside of Patrick's mom. God I even tried to introduce this show to my friend yesterday to give him an idea of what it's like for me being gay, but upon rewatching even I was bored to tears.

I think I'm done with the show, I hate to say. Doesn't feel like it's going anywhere interesting.

teiresias

Hopefully Augustin goes to Dom's pop-up, gets food poisoning, and dies. Opens' up some amazing drama for Dom's story arc.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Augustin stays being useless.

I was quite surprised at Richie. He seems like quite a chill person so I don't know why he would want to bring weed to the first time he meets someone's family. Thought the whole car argument seemed way too forced as well

Not to parrot the same thing every week but these episodes need to be an hour long because as it is there isn't enough happening in each episode and stories are getting cut off and missing details that could make them richer for every one of the story lines. I REALLY hope they change it next series but honestly I'm not very hopeful.

Tomodachi

Maybe my favorite episode so far.
I didn't like Frank until the moment he left Augustin. He really is the most unlikeable, immature and self-absorbed character in the world. Hannah from Girls is a sweet, empathic woman compared to him. The beginning of the episode, my god, I really would have slapped him if I were Patrick.

Richie was an ass, we don't know how well they know each other at this point so I could justify him leaving ("I told you it was too soon" would be a good reason to go away) but iirc last episode was two months from this one so no, he simply had to be more understanding. I'm starting to like and empathize with Patrick more and more. I don't think I would have been able to put Russel Tovery (and his character, it's great) off. Wooof.

As a side note I always wondered, do you leave voice messages that much in the US? It's really uncommon over here. Or is it just a plot device? Just curious.

Oh and Dom was never more uninteresting than this time. I like him but his plotline is really flimsy.

Hopefully Augustin goes to Dom's pop-up, gets food poisoning, and dies. Opens' up some amazing drama for Dom's story arc.

/dead

kirblar

As a side note I always wondered, do you leave voice messages that much in the US? It's really uncommon over here. Or is it just a plot device? Just curious.
Only when it's urgent. Texting's more common.

Tomodachi

Only when it's urgent. Texting's more common.
I see, so it's probably more of a plot device since it would be definitely less believable to see a character texting and reading the message aloud, or showing the screen with the text on it :D

BTW I don't think anyone ever uses it at all over here (Italy), maybe because it's pretty expensive to check your voice messages when you get one. But we do text a damn lot.

kirblar

I see, so it's probably more of a plot device since it would be definitely less believable to see a character texting and reading the message aloud, or showing the screen with the text on it :D

BTW I don't think anyone ever uses it at all over here (Italy), maybe because it's pretty expensive to check your voice messages when you get one. But we do text a damn lot.
Patrick would call Richie in that situation for sure. He didn't want to be ignored.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
(first run Sunday) Ratings for Looking so far:

Episode 1 - 338K
Episode 2 - 286K
Episode 3 - 183K
Episode 4 - 446K
Episode 5 - 505K
Episode 6 - 519K
Episode 7 - 433K

So I just binged watched the show to get caught up now that it has been renewed, and I really liked it. Like, a whole lot. The first two episodes were rough, but everything since then has been great.

I like pretty much all the characters on the show (even Patrick now)... except for Agustin. He's just awful. I am happy that Russell and Raul are both gonna be regulars next season, (Lauren too) because I like their characters a lot. I hope Scott Bakula is still gonna present in S2, because I think he has great chemistry with Murray's character.

In general, I'm super stoked that the show has been renewed and I can't wait to see more. I'm glad I held off watching until the renewal though, because I would be really sad to get this into the show, just to see it get cancelled.

Mr. F

Banned
So I just binged watched the show to get caught up now that it has been renewed, and I really liked it. Like, a whole lot. The first two episodes were rough, but everything since then has been great.

So it gets better? The first episode left me cold and didn't find it engaging enough to want to continue. Might give it a second chance when the season wraps.

legbone

man i love this show. i really hope it gets a second season (it may have for all i know). i can't figure out who i have the biggest crush on. it changes from show to show. oh to hell with it, i want to jump into a dom/doris/kevin/richie/frank dogpile. patrick and agustin can watch but there's just something about them i can't go with. but i think richie might just be the hottest. hope he grows the beard back though.

edit: yay, i just noticed a post i missed that states it has been picked up for season 2.

Mr. F

Banned
As is the case with most shows, yes, it gets better after the first episode.

True, but I didn't enjoy the characters enough to care seeing what happens to them or if they get better. Like I said, it just didn't grab me. Cool that it got picked up for a second season, though.

royalan

Sometimes I feel like I'm doomed to be at odds with everyone. I'm surprised so many people disliked this latest episode, because I loved it. I thought it was the best episode of the season so far and the first one where there was more that I liked than didn't like.

Getting what I didn't like out of the way, I've been a huge fan of Patrick and Kevin's chemistry up to this point, but their relationship crossed over into cheap fanfiction territory again this episode. Kevin just so happening to be at the wedding (after just so happening to be at the park the week before) right after Patrick and Richie got into a huge fight? Kevin's boyfriend getting just drunk enough for Kevin to sneak off and ambush Patrick in the bathroom? Just too many damn coincidences, and San Fran is small but it ain't THAT damn small. I want to see the two hook up just as much as the next horny queen, but let's not delve into fangirl impatience here. Do it in a way that makes sense, because I was rolling my eyes at every Patrick/Kevin scene this episode, and usually those scenes are my favorite.

Augustin continues to suck, but I give the show credit for atleast punishing him for it this episode. We see asshole/bitchie characters "win" on other shows all the time, but in reality you can't have complete assholes who get nothing but praised/rewarded by all the "good people" that surround them. Eventually, someone's going to call you out for being a total dick, and that's what the entire episode was for Augustin. Frank won major points with me this week; "Oh, so you hiring hookers full-time but YOU can't even pay rent tho??? Ch...time for you to get the fuck out my crib."

Dom continues to be flawless. Sure, his storyline isn't the most steamy, but it's the closest to fullfilling Looking's promise of displaying "Real" gays. That said, I hope his puri puri plans pan out.

My favorite moment from this episode was, surprisingly, a Patrick scene. The scene with his mother. Very redeeming for Patrick' character, and one of the few moments in this show where Patrick came off as a real person (and not the show's naive Mary Sue). A lot of people grow up feeling repressed by their parents, and it's easy to fall into the trap of holding that feeling of repression against them well into adulthood to the point that it becomes a crutch. I believed Patrick when he admitted he was judging Richie based on what his mother might think of him. But I also believed his mother when she insisted that, despite not always being accepting, she was making an effort, had come a long way, and didn't deserve to be blamed for every bad thing in Patrick's adult life. That was a very real conversation, and while I can't relate to it all (my experience with my parents was much different), I didn't need to relate to it in order to think it was a very believable exchange.

kirblar

It's not fanfiction. In fanfiction, Kevin being at the wedding would be a good thing. It's clearly not one. Patrick stops hanging out with him socially after figuring out what's happening, and then suddenly has his drunk boss making moves on him.

royalan

It's not fanfiction. In fanfiction, Kevin being at the wedding would be a good thing. It's clearly not one. Patrick stops hanging out with him socially after figuring out what's happening, and then suddenly has his drunk boss making moves on him.

But it was a good thing. Patrick was totally fine with Kevin being there up until...well...

But really, when I say it's fanfiction I'm not really thinking about how the characters are reacting to what's going on, but more-so the construction of the story itself. It didn't feel believable to me, as the audience, that Patrick would keep running into Kevin, and in ways that seemnvery coincidental to Richie's presence or absence (running into Patrick at the park and meeting Richie; running into Patrick at his sister's wedding...after Patrick and Richie have just had a huge fight). It was just a stretch to me, and seemed obviously concocted by the writers just so we could get that bathroom moment. It was all a little transparent.

mantidor

EDIT: Kevin being at the wedding, conveniently after Patrick and Richie have a fight. I want to see Kevin and Pat get together just as much as the next queen....but that was a ridiculous coincidence by any stretch of the imagination.

Telenovela/soap plot #124, your love interest is at your sister's weeding after a fight with your other love interest, it couldn't be more cliche if it tried. and that drunk kiss? are they for real? it's so odd to watch such an overused plot with serious and "real" acting, I'll take the campiness of soaps, thanks.

This does not happen in real life, if it was actually set up by Kevin, it's even worse, he is now some kind of stalker of Patrick even when he knows they are both seeing other people? waa... fanfiction indeed.

EDIT 2: YAAASSSS MOM! You TELL him! "It ain't MY damn fault Richie ain't here!"

But this redeemed that story arc somewhat, he was being kind of an asshole to his mom and I'm glad that, even if she has obviously made mistakes, she still put him in his place, he can't say nothing against her since she doesn't even know anything about Ritchie, She is also absolutely right there's nothing wrong in wanting someone like Kevin or his boyfriend for him, the pot cookies were such an obvious twist though.

So, in the easter egg department- that guy Kevin was talking crap about?

Probably going to be showing up more in later episodes, given who he's played by.

I'm not the only one who immediately recognized him, right? damn if he looks good with that beard.

Uh, I just realize that Patrick's mom is played by Julia Duffy who also played one half of a couple on Newhart. Of course the other half of that couple was played by Peter Scolari who plays Hannah's dad on Girls.

Funny.

Season finale tonight:
Looking Glass

Patrick hopes to mend fences; Frank reveals his feelings to Agustin; Patrick and Agustin attend Dom's restaurant opening; Dom is surprised by Lynn's guest.

Zero315

Banned
Damn, good episode. That ending got to me, Richie... ( ;_;)

These episodes really do need to be longer. Oh, and Augustin can go cry in a fucking corner for all I care.

royalan

Patrick and Kevin just jumped off a fucking cliff for me this episode.

OMG, THIS IS SO FUCKING RIDICULOUS. Ruined what was otherwise a decent episode.

Might as well just call this a damn soap and be done with it.

sruckus

The Kevin part didn't come off as romantic at all, but maybe that was the point. But I don't see how you can redeem Kevin, which sucks because I want them to be together.

It was interesting Patrick bottomed without issue really with Kevin. I'm thinking that continues to be a reminder that Patrick really does have issues with Ritchie and Kevin for whatever reason cures all of his inhibitions. Also, the beginning just felt forced and a little rapey. They really could have been sexual harassment right there.

And Dom and Augustin and their entire story lines are so boring.

mantidor

Poor Ricardito...

The whole Kevin thing... urhg, what kind of crazy boss would do that? I don't know if I should take it on the fairytale/soap side of him being immediately loved-struck by Patrick, completely ridiculous, or the other more realistic and creepy side that he's taking advantage of his employee using his looks and position of power given how introverted and insecure Patrick is, it's not working that well either way, except for eye candy of Tovey naked :p.

I'll keep an eye on season 2 anyway, I think there's potential in Dom to be something a bit different, and maybe Lin and Richie will fix the mess of the other storylines. The problem keeps being that the episodes are too short for such a big number of characters.

royalan

The Kevin part didn't come off as romantic at all, but maybe that was the point. But I don't see how you can redeem Kevin, which sucks because I want them to be together.

It was interesting Patrick bottomed without issue really with Kevin. I'm thinking that continues to be a reminder that Patrick really does have issues with Ritchie and Kevin for whatever reason cures all of his inhibitions. Also, the beginning just felt forced and a little rapey. They really could have been sexual harassment right there.

And Dom and Augustin and their entire story lines are so boring.

That's exactly my problem with it. Kevin is now nothing but a smarmy perv who'll cheat on his boyfriend without a second thought and relentlessly pursue and invade the personal space of someone who told his ass no. There's just no way to read Kevin as nothing more than a selfish, opportunistic prop for Patrick to learn a lesson from. But that's not real. Richie and Kevin are not real characters.

Kevin and Patrick's chemistry was so good when it served as background tension. You knew it was inevitable, but there was so much gratification in the slow-burn of it all. Watching them circle each other, growing ever nearer, connecting at the perfect moment. Holding off and letting their hook-up be a next season thing at least would have been so much better, and given Patrick and Richie's relationship more room to breathe (so I could, you know, actually give a shit about the inevitable breakup scene - as opposed to the "zero fucks given" that occurred tonight). The soapish way the show smashed those two together in the last two episodes was a type of impatience that most SOAPS wouldn't even fall for.

And I don't even need to click the AV Club review to know they gave the episode a B+ at minimum. That fanboy hasn't given the show a lower grade all season, despite the show being panned almost everywhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom