• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looking - Season One - THIS ONE'S FOR THE GAYS!! - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
I liked the finale. I felt that the sexual tension between Patrick and Richie, as well as Patrick and Kevin were both palpable, but for totally separate reasons. Obviously Kevin has not been painted in the best light, but I don't find him irredeemable. Patrick was put in a horrible position, but he also handled it very poorly. What I hope for from season 2 is that we get to see things from Richie and Kevin's perspective more, as opposed to always having everything be from Patrick's perspective.

As for Dom and Lynn, I love them together. Their relationship is very quite, but I find it incredibly sexy. The look on Dom's face when he was looking for any sign that he was back in Lynn's confidence was heartbreaking. I hope to see much more of that relationship in S2.

And Agustin? Eh, I just don't care for him at all. I don't think he's learned anything from his mistakes with Frank. The way he always retreats into his self-indulgence when things go bad just shows how selfish and conceded he is.

Overall I think this show has shown a lot of progress. I truly do feel invested in the majority of the characters, and I am so glad that this will be back for another season. Too bad we have to wait so long for that though. :(

kirblar

Drugged out Augustin is likable? Huh. Definitely brave of the show to tackle his character's depression as a plotline and take him to the depths that most shows would gloss over. Felt emotionally honest about the subject (definitely have friends who have self-medicated like that) in a way that I haven't seen in media.

Patrick is starting to grow up, expand his boundaries....and screw up huge. Neither Kevin nor Richie is likely a good fit for him. Both he and Augustin are trying to figure out what they want and who they are. I know I went through this (and am still going through this) and yes, although it's "fairy tale", its also feels true-to-life. These are things that people go through, and stumble through without a guidebook.

Curious where Dom's story goes. It feels like it's dangerously close to paralleling the Kevin/Patrick awkward workplace stuff, so I suspect it'll go in a radically different direction.

AV club commentator rightfully brings up that Kevin/Patrick proooobably weren't using a condom. I bet Patrick goes totally on edge about that at the beginning of next season.

scarlet

TOVEY HHHNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGG

My fave episode by miles

Good God, this finale. They describe my whole relationship in this episode

;_______________;

I'm kind of upset because to me Patrick has hit a dead end. I don't think Richie would take him back after what he did (which means he will not tell him, but he'll find out later anyway).

Obviously Kevin is not the way to go either, he won't dump his boyfriend and will just want to mess around with Patrick.

And since they've been promoted to regulars this "conflict" will probably go on all season long. I know the show is supposed to be a reflection of reality but it sucks when you've kind of been there :'(

Who knows what will the writers do anyway...

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I hope Frank is in the next series because he was spitting some truth to Augustine and I loved every second

Bladenic

I've never liked Kevin that much, certainly not more than Richie. I feel like in the past two episodes they tried so hard to make Richie seem like an asshole (and completely against how he was shown before). But I'm not sure what the intent was with Kevin (haven't watched the Inside The Episodes insights), because to me he's a borderline rapist and Patrick should actually file sexual harassment charges. What a dick.

mantidor

Drugged out Augustin is likable? Huh. Definitely brave of the show to tackle his character's depression as a plotline and take him to the depths that most shows would gloss over. Felt emotionally honest about the subject (definitely have friends who have self-medicated like that) in a way that I haven't seen in media.

Patrick is starting to grow up, expand his boundaries....and screw up huge. Neither Kevin nor Richie is likely a good fit for him. Both he and Augustin are trying to figure out what they want and who they are. I know I went through this (and am still going through this) and yes, although it's "fairy tale", its also feels true-to-life. These are things that people go through, and stumble through without a guidebook.

By self-medicated you mean drugged? I thought that was like extasis or something.

I agree that those kinds of plots are rarely tackled in dramas outside indie stuff but it is still hard to watch. It is very real unfortunately, I know people close to me who are right at the edge of that situation as well.

Also by fairytale, I meant the "it's unbearable to be around you and not kiss the fuck out of you" part, that dialog was completely out of place given the tone of the show, who says that in real life? The situation itself is real, it's more the way it was presented.

TOVEY HHHNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGG

My fave episode by miles

Good God, this finale. They describe my whole relationship in this episode

;_______________;

If this is not an exaggeration you should really reevaluate your life. :p

I really hope that kind of thing isn't common among gay people although the gay relationship thread would say otherwise D:

kirblar

By self-medicated you mean drugged? I thought that was like extasis or something.

I agree that those kinds of plots are rarely tackled in dramas outside indie stuff but it is still hard to watch. It is very real unfortunately, I know people close to me who are right at the edge of that situation as well.

Also by fairytale, I meant the "it's unbearable to be around you and not kiss the fuck out of you" part, that dialog was completely out of place given the tone of the show, who says that in real life? The situation itself is real, it's more the way it was presented.
With 30 minutes subtlety is not something they have much time for. The line worked, though, because it showed how self-centered Kevin is here.

mantidor

With 30 minutes subtlety is not something they have much time for. The line worked, though, because it showed how self-centered Kevin is here.

That's the other thing, the 180 they did on Kevin, for six episodes he's the cool successful boss that flirts innocently with Patrick and suddenly at the end he is a self-centered, nasty prick who cheats on his boyfriend that just decided to moved in to the same city with his employee who was in a fragile emotional state, that's sociopath territory.

I'm not making excuses for Patrick, he messed up, but his mess is more realistic, he wasn't even sure if he had broke up with Richie or not.

kirblar

That's the other thing, the 180 they did on Kevin, for six episodes he's the cool successful boss that flirts innocently with Patrick and suddenly at the end he is a self-centered, nasty prick who cheats on his boyfriend that just decided to moved in to the same city with his employee who was in a fragile emotional state, that's sociopath territory.

I'm not making excuses for Patrick, he messed up, but his mess is more realistic, he wasn't even sure if he had broke up with Richie or not.
The internet history/solo meetings at the office start getting a much more troubling shading due to the power imbalance in their relationship. Yes, there was a connection there, but after Patrick decided to move on from it, Kevin refused to do so in a much more overtly manipulative way. The last episode hinted at this when Kevin didn't tell Patrick he'd be at the wedding, and now this cements it. It's going to end very badly. It always does.

Empty

good finale. i was a bit worried things would go too well for patrick - i think he's charming and endearing despite his issues but he's not that desirable to have both guys throw themselves at him - so the richie ending was welcome. looking forward to seeing his character in s2, he's wonderful.

i think they can redeem augustine in s2 by showing him rebuild his life from scratch which generally is something i find satisfying to watch

T.O.P

Banned
Screw Kevin and screw Patrick

Team Richie (and Dom) here

Augustine doesn't exist to me

I'll watch season 2 for Dom and probably nothing else, it's the only character that grabbed me so far

someday

Banned
I've mostly enjoyed this show but I would be ok with it just being focused on Dom, Richie, and Frank. They are way more dynamic characters with interesting things to say.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
(first run Sunday) Ratings for Looking so far:

Episode 1 - 338K
Episode 2 - 286K
Episode 3 - 183K
Episode 4 - 446K
Episode 5 - 505K
Episode 6 - 519K
Episode 7 - 433K
Episode 8 - 425K

royalan

Patrick failed the gay Bechdel test. Every episode.

God, I can't remember a Queer as Folk character that was this one-note.

KingKong

I know they want a show about gay people being basically 'normal' but does it have to be so boring? It felt like 80% of the show was about really uninteresting relationship drama, which is too bad because the other 20% was pretty good

That Augustin is depressed should be obvious I guess for how much wicked witch/Betty Draper vibes he gives off, but while Betty is by turns likable and horrible, they're not as successful here at straddling that line. I did feel bad for him this time though. Like even when Frank criticized his artistic ambitions, on the one hand it seems obvious, but the cruelty still stings.

Patrick needs to stop being such a fool. It can be fun watching the ingenue turn into a steel tempered and worldly character, but that really isn't happening.

scarlet

I really hope that kind of thing isn't common among gay people although the gay relationship thread would say otherwise D:

Lol, a lil bit tho.

And I'm reevaluating my life :)

T.O.P

Banned
lol, that was the finale? I was still waiting for the show to start!
Denzel-Washington-Boom-Gif.gif

Nope, pretty common from my experience. I've talked with a ton of guys over the past few years, and I find people generally don't know what they want, or just want what they can't have.

Though I tend to talk to and meet guys in heavily populated areas, so that kind of attitude might be more common.

kirblar

Nope, pretty common from my experience. I've talked with a ton of guys over the past few years, and I find people generally don't know what they want, or just want what they can't have.

Though I tend to talk to and meet guys in heavily populated areas, so that kind of attitude might be more common.
You can't have kids. Then what? Everyone basically mid-life crises-es early, imo, because you don't even have that milestone to work off of.

Tomodachi

I think it's very common and not only among gay people. Most people don't know what they want from life or other people in modern society.

Toadette

Banned
so i just finished season one is was good the show pace is very slow i still liked it QAF was better or is that just me remembering all the sex scenes

anyone i like the hole cast except Agustín wtf dude messing up his hole life

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I wonder what the ratings for Enlightened were. :(

Season 1:

Episode 1 - 210K
Episode 2 - 198K
Episode 3 - 231K
Episode 4 - 134K
Episode 5 - 95K
Episode 6 - 155K
Episode 7 - 117K
Episode 8 - 151K
Episode 9 - 189K
Episode 10 - 263K

Season 2:

Episode 1 - 300K
Episode 2 - 202K
Episode 3 - 247K
Episode 4 - 204K
Episode 5 - 217K
Episode 6 - 272K
Episode 7 - 126K
Episode 8 - 220K

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Season 1:

Episode 1 - 210K
Episode 2 - 198K
Episode 3 - 231K
Episode 4 - 134K
Episode 5 - 95K
Episode 6 - 155K
Episode 7 - 117K
Episode 8 - 151K
Episode 9 - 189K
Episode 10 - 263K

Season 2:

Episode 1 - 300K
Episode 2 - 202K
Episode 3 - 247K
Episode 4 - 204K
Episode 5 - 217K
Episode 6 - 272K
Episode 7 - 126K
Episode 8 - 220K
KWRhIRy.png

Do we have any idea if Scott Bakula is going to be available to appear this season?
He'll be back. Interview from yesterday:
TV Guide Magazine: And you're going to keep doing Looking at the same time. How can that work?

Bakula: I wanted to give them the opportunity to write me out of Looking — I'm not a contract player there — but I'm a big fan of that show. So I said, "If you choose to bring me back, maybe we can work something out." Logistically, it's going to be crazy and involve some Saturday shooting, but they'll work around me.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Wow! He lost weight! Good for him!

Oh my God, Danny DeVito! I love your work!

avasifulunyfoawye
I didn't even recognise him until you said that

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Crossbones actor Chris Perfetti is set to recur on the HBO dramedy in the recurring role of Brady, an opinionated San Franciscan who writes for the weekly paper when he’s not busy managing its classifieds. He’s also set to romance a current series regular whose named I’ve been asked not to reveal.

Former Late Night With Jimmy Fallon personality Bashir Salahuddin, meanwhile, will recur as Malik, an activist-type who is working his way up in the San Francisco mayor’s office. Similar to Brady, Malik is poised to sweep one of the regulars off his/her feet.

4iw24gN.jpg

Source

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom