• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vice Principals - Danny McBride & Walton Goggins - Season 2 - Sundays on HBO

k9g264p.jpg

Vice Principals is an American television comedy series starring Danny McBride, Walton Goggins, Georgia King, Busy Philipps, Kimberly Hebert Gregory, Sheaun McKinney and Shea Whigham. The co-creators are Danny McBride and Jody Hill. The second and final season will premiere on Sunday, September 17, 2017. Season 2 consists of 9 episodes.

The first season is a hilarious dark comedy in the vein of Eastbound Down. Similar to other McBride/Jody Hill work, the characters seem thin at first glance, but there's a lot more going on down under the surface.
HBO said:
From Danny McBride and Jody Hill, Vice Principals is a dark comedy telling the story of North Jackson High School, and the two people who almost run it -- the Vice Principals. The series stars Danny McBride and Walton Goggins as the school administrators in an epic power struggle for the top spot of school Principal. Told over the course of a single school year, the first season takes place during the fall, with the second and final season to covering the spring term, each with nine episodes. Joining McBride and Hill as executive producer and director is longtime collaborator David Gordon Green.

Trailers and Videos:
Posters and Promo Materials:
High Res version of the poster

G1VIypB.gif

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Kicking myself for missing out on the season 2 premiere at the Alamo Drafthouse over here.

GDOxqBm.jpg

I would've used that lunchbox.

dickroach

ooOOooh. legit forgot about this show. stopped watching season 1 after two or three episodes for no good reason. will binge that this weekend.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
I think Im going to wait it out and binge watch this season.

Kicking myself for missing out on the season 2 premiere at the Alamo Drafthouse over here.

GDOxqBm.jpg

I would've used that lunchbox.

Damn... That's awesome. I try not to do premieres like that for TV shows because I have to wait longer than other people for new episodes, but that would've been worth it.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
So, the shooter has to be either Lee or Ray, right? It's obvious the actor under the mask was a (smaller) guy, but it would be great if it was Ms. Abbott.

Ray would seem kinda out of left field for me. I'd prefer he remain a nice guy, just to infuriate Gamby.

- Warming Glow: Danny McBride And Walton Goggins On Syntax, Decor, And The Beginning Of The End For ‘Vice Principals’
You said that there was going to be a different vibe between Jody Hill (the season one director and co-creator) and David Gordon Green (who directed the season two episodes). What has been that difference?

McBride: I love both of those guys as directors. They both have incredible strengths and it’s hard to even put into words how they approach it differently. I remember being surprised when we were filming the first season of Eastbound. That was originally just going to be Jody directing that whole season and he was editing Observe and Report. The schedule wasn’t going to work out. So, I needed to fill a hole for a few episodes, and so I reached out to David to see if he’d want to come direct.

I remember when we were shooting that first episode that David did, that second episode. It was pretty crazy to be like, “This is crazy.” This character amongst all these different dudes. All these different things that I wasn’t anticipating. I think it became what was cool about Eastbound. Even for a viewer, if you’re watching those shows, I think you try to guess whose name is going to appear at the end of that episode. Which director was this? I liked the idea of doing that with these seasons here, of letting each of these guys just own a season and have their tone and their process be at work. I’m desensitized because I just know these guys so well. [To Goggins.] It’s probably easier for you to identify how these guys are different.

Goggins: Yeah, I think Jody has this real cerebral quality to him. What I mean by that is this real specificity, visually speaking, and he sees things and he breaks them down. From all of these detailed shots that Jody is pretty famous for… I think, anyway. And the way he tells a story: in parts and in a whole. With David, it’s just a little different. His is more visceral, you know? He just kind of finds his way around something before he finally goes into it. Jody knows exactly what he wants. David finds what he wants within the exploration of the scene.
More singing from you in season two?

Goggins: There’s some.

McBride: [Laughs.] There is some singing.

Goggins: There’s some singing and some dancing.

Some “Busted By Lee Russell.”

McBride: “Busted By Lee Russell” should be the single, right?

Was that in the script [in season one]? Or was that something that you guys came up with on set?

McBride: No, he came up with that.

In the scene or beforehand? How did that work?

Goggins: Just kinda in the thing. I mean, I do a lot of my improvisations kind of away, just to myself.

McBride: That’s what you’re doing when I see you in your car weeping. [Laughs.]

Goggins: Yeah, that’s exactly what I’m doing. I just kind of write down these ideas where things might be able to go whereas a lot of people are so quick-witted and can, in a moment, go “Here. Here. Here. And here.” I have to give myself a road map in order to reach a valley on the other side of that mountain. It really works for me. Once the writing is so good, it becomes so specific. It becomes very easy to think in the way that these characters would think. But I can’t fucking stand this. Excuse me for saying that… but you know how I really feel. I can’t stand when I listen or watch an actor improvise in a masturbatory way when you’re just saying things that are cute, that are so outside of anything that the character that you’re playing would ever say.

McBride: You’re just trying to make the crew laugh.

Goggins: Yeah, you’re trying to make the crew laugh or you just want people to look at you. I can’t stand that. I have a real problem with that because I do believe that it’s a sacred space that you create and to come from a place of truth should be what you try to say whenever you open your mouth.
Creatively, what are the benefits and the drawbacks of going into this saying “Okay, this is 18 episodes. This is two seasons and then we’re out?”

McBride: I think the benefits are enormous. To me, that’s the one drawback of television is that you could start writing something, and if people lose interest in it, you might not be able to complete the story that you set out to make. And, if suddenly an actor’s deal can’t close and you gotta suddenly… “Oh! I gotta write this character out and I didn’t anticipate that.” I think making it 18 ensured that we’d be able to create exactly the story that we intended to do. And I think, as a viewer, I don’t necessarily want to sign up for something that I’m gonna have to fucking wait ten years to see how it ends up. I like the idea of having something that’s going to be finished and I know that it has a beginning, middle, and end. I like that.

It’s a lot closer to the UK model. It just hasn’t taken hold here for some reason. Is it enticing at all when you’re in the middle of it — writing, creating, doing the show — to extend it and go a little bit further?

McBride: This story has an ending to it. It really does. What we set up in this… what we set up from episode one, it has a conclusion to it. I think there is a part of me that is completely content with what we’ve done. I did have an incredible time on this and I had an incredible time with Walton, and with Kimberly [Hebert Gregory, who plays Belinda], Georgia [King, who plays Amanda], Edi [Patterson, who plays Ms. Abbott], and the whole gang. That makes me feel like, “Well, could I do more?” But, I think if we ever did more, I would almost have to do it exactly how we did this, where it wouldn’t just be another season. It would have to be a completely other story that has its own set amount of episodes that completes that tale. I think that would have to be the way to crack it if you ever were to.

I know that season 2 will be the last season, but is there a reason why?
They felt it was a self contained narrative. There's a few recent interviews where they address this.

Was it originally supposed to be only one big season?
I'm not sure how they intended it to be distributed, but they filmed the whole thing (18 episodes) at one time.

Ogodei

I managed to see a marathon of the entire first season (sans a chunk of episode 1) on HBO2 a few months back, so i'm looking forward to this. McBride is kind of hit or miss for me (loved him in Tropic Thunder, hated in Thirty Minutes or Less and The Heartbreak Kid, but i suppose he's only as good as the material he's given).

- NY Times: Danny McBride Is Not Who You Think He Is
“Vice Principals” began as a movie script before you and Jody turned it into a two-season series.

We didn’t look at this like a traditional television show. We did look at it like a novel. These seasons continue the story but thematically they’re made to stand on their own. Where the first one pulled from a lot of clichés and tropes from your ‘80s high school movies, this one is a mystery, a whodunit, a [expletive] weird Brian De Palma movie.
You’re working on a new HBO show.

That’s still tight under wraps. But this second season of “Vice Principals” is pushing us emotionally into different territory, and the next project will definitely push us further into finding new ground to make people feel uncomfortable.

- Vox review
McBride and Hill have said that where the show’s first season was more in the tone of high school auteur John Hughes, season two will align more with the blood-soaked, vengeance-strewn tales of Brian De Palma, and in the season’s first seven episodes, this shift in direction is very clear. Gamby, in particular, has a big score to settle, and he’s not inclined to give up, ever.

Beyond that, Vice Principals season two is beautifully shot by director David Gordon Green, and the performances (especially from Goggins) carefully walk the line between funny and infuriating. Vice Principals never tips its hand as to how you should feel about its central characters. Instead, it insists you understand them, before they plunge over the cliff. The show isn’t for everyone, but it is, decidedly, for me.

- Vice Principals Season Two Is a Comedic Achievement, If You Can Make It Through Season One
Vice Principals was originally conceived as a film, but then turned into a TV series with specifically two seasons. What impact did a two-act structure have on the story?

Danny McBride: When we were looking at opening it up to tell it over the course of two seasons, we were looking at it like it was a first semester and a second semester. These guys embarked on this devious, reprehensible quest in the first season, and they achieved what they set out to do. The second season is about them getting what they asked for and how that plays out for both of them. We said it’s like Crime and Punishment. The first season is the crime and the second season is the punishment.

There was a certain criticism in early reviews that it was unclear if the show was indicting the actions of these characters. And I felt that as I watched the show in real time, but then it all clicked with that final shot of season one, pun intended, with Gamby bleeding out on the pavement. The indictment came, but you wanted to give the audience the experience of sitting in that feeling as long as possible.

Walton Goggins: [Clapping] Well done, you.

DM: Our hope was to use people’s knowledge of what they’ve seen in other movies and shows against them, presenting these guys like they’re the heroes, and instantly, in the second episode, having them burn down their boss’s house. It keeps you, as an audience member, not sure of what you’re rooting for or what you want to have happen. It’s why we didn’t make it as a feature: In an hour and a half, we felt like you could see the writing on the wall, but spreading it out over 18 episodes, you’re allowed to take these detours and explore other characters and it suddenly makes you feel conflicted about where it’s heading. The type of comedy Jody and I have created before is not stuff you can give to a test audience. The average person isn’t necessarily going to gravitate towards it, and I think that’s because there’s a lot more going on than would appear.

You’ve said you wanted to make something edgy. I often think about how some complain that people are too easily offended nowadays, but for comedy to be truly edgy, it demands somebody be offended. If no one’s offended, what’s the edge? How do you feel about people being offended by the show, about people who might’ve dropped out after an early episode?

DM: One thing Jody, David, and myself talked about with this show that we thought was cool is that we were seeing a lot of trends in theaters. Even the biggest movie in the world has its weekend, but after that, there’s all these other things to occupy your time. With TV, it owns you if you’re into it for ten weeks. A lot of the biggest cultural experiences that I’ve had were with Lost, Sopranos, Six Feet Under because I spent a week in between episodes hypothesizing and wondering where it was going.

What I didn’t see happening was that people would make such assumptions about what we were saying. It was crazy to read reviews and think, Man, this critic has only seen two episodes and they think that they know more about our characters’ intentions and where the story’s going than we do. And they feel so bold that they’ll go on to say they didn’t watch any of the other ones! We did talk about, “Man, I wonder if this show would’ve worked better out the gate if it had been available for people all at once to go at their own pace.” But then again, you work yourself into the idea that someone spins it out on a weekend and they’re on to the next thing.

It’s a give-and-take. Forcing people to watch it week over week and building that tension about the end goal is a more satisfying experience, but it means some people will lose out. A lot of both seasons is showing how bad these characters’ home lives are. How do you walk a line of explaining their behavior, but not necessarily justifying it?

DM: Ultimately, we’re not asking the audience to show sympathy for these guys. We’re just presenting what their story is. That’s the thing that’s most frustrating about these characters: You will see something in them that you might identify with, and then they still do shit you don’t want them to do. It’s not justifying behavior. It’s just making you frustrated at the way people are. It’s a character study, as much as Taxi Driver is on Travis Bickle. At the end of that movie you’re not like, “Man, isn’t he so sympathetic, these things he did?” It’s a fucked-up journey!

WG: I don’t wake up in the morning, judging this person. That’s not my job. I don’t have to fall in love with him or condone his behavior. My job has been around for thousands of years, man. I’m a storyteller and I try to look for stories that challenge me. For me, Lee Russell and Neal Gamby start off in such an emotional hole. They’re six feet under before they even step out of bed in the morning. I was just really, really curious about the source of this pain and their desire to share it with someone.
More via the link.

Top Bottom