• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vice Principals - Danny McBride & Walton Goggins - HBO Comedy - [update: S2 trailer!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The finale felt so unhinged and on edge, even during the more heartfelt moments, and the scene in the woods was outright mean. Great stuff. Ughhhhh @ the wait until next year for the 2nd half.

Finally caught up. Overall fantastic. The actress playing Dr. Brown is wonderful.

One of my favorite exchanges (can't remember which episode; one of the last few):

Gamby's Daughter: "I thought that (money) was for my college fund?"
Gamby: "Well, once you got into motocross I assumed you weren't going to college."

Hot damn McBride just nails lines like that, lol.

Meier

0764_rvunw.gif

All of those gifs were great of course, but how awesome is this one? Deserves future play.

nilbog21

Banned
You guys really think losing a football game makes it worthwhile to kill somebody?

Or your step daughter leaving your favorite hobby makes yiu want to kill her dad. You guys can't be serious

Definitely couldn't have anything to do with the only person that lost her kids and now her job

Boney

Banned
Man just got done with the season and holy shit was the last stretch fucking brutal.

Actual ending felt weird since you're expecting shit to hit the fan in some way but only has the wild card at the end which was a gigantic tease. Wasn't aware it was just two seasons so I'm all in on the ending and the second season.

McBride as the sympathetic one is weird but I suppose what Amanda said at the end is what it's like and we get to see it too as viewers.

Only scene that just didn't work was when Goggins pushes his mother in law in the dry cleaning. But I loved that woman and surprised he didn't get any major setbacks at home.

Oh as for the shooter? I don't think it's Russel but they'll try to set it up like that since he did record the forced confession to bury Gamby. The man's a sick fuck and if he used the bag of cans to beat the neighbour then I would see it, but seems unnecessary.

The shooter would've shot either or both so I don't think it's any Gamby specific character. I also don't think they made Dr Brown hire someone to kill them since I don't think she'll be in the next season and she wouldn't have the need to resign like that if it was the case. I'm thinking it'll be a student that found out about the shit at the woods or they'll be cheap and make him a new character.

When we came up with the idea for the story, it was completely about figuring out how to do something people had never seen before—something unexpected. Audiences are so fucking smart—they can see things coming from a mile away. On this show, you're not following the heroes. You're following the villains. People might feel like they're rooting for these guys only because they're being presented as the guys you're supposed to root for. But each thing you see them do, it makes you question why you could ever root for them. I think that makes it more interesting.

Exactly why I liked it so much. You see their struggles and fucked up lives and you want for them to turn the situation around. But instead they end up pushing each other towards more and more heinous acts that are not only unjustifiable, they're counter productive to their real needs.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
F3AXeA9.png

Ms. Swift was obviously in on it. She's pure evil.

SlickVic

Loved that finale. Until the final 2 minutes it really feels like they're just wrapping up the show and giving closure. But even if you didn't know there's another season planned, it still strikes you as odd that a show like this would end so neatly, with the main characters getting exactly what they wanted from the start, and without compromise. You almost wonder where they can even go from this point.

And then those final 2 minutes happen. Can't wait to see where they go with this in Season 2.

Matticers

Surprised some people are writing off Belinda. They built her and her story up way too much for them to just have her disappear now. She'll be back next season big time to mess with them.

AEREC

I think Ray did it guys. Honestly. The stuff about the knife was weird, as well as that speech about his step daughter.

The mask the shooter wore was similar to the masks the Percival football players wore, and Ray is an ex-Percival football player. It's gotta be him.

Shooter kinda seems like the guy Brown brought in earlier in the season to evaluate thier jobs.

The Argus

Finally watched the last episode. Wow. Show is really starting to find its groove.

Thinking the perp is either Russel or the teacher Gamby had a relationship with. Too easy to be Dr. Brown.

Was thinking it was Gamby's ex-wife, she didn't seem too pleased about the dirt bike.

- YahooTV: Dressing The Modern-Day Dandy: A Chat With 'Vice Principals' Costume Designer Sarah Trost
You sort of already answered this, but with Russell, the wardrobe’s half the character. Could you go into how he was described to you and what the vision was that you came up with?

He, I think, I don’t have it out in front of me, but on the page [the description of him was as] just sort of some kind of a late thirties clothes horse, but if the clothes came from JCPenney. It was something like that. It was like some kind of super fashionable, but not very expensive, which is kind of where we went, and I think it works out. We do have a handful of more expensive pieces, but the majority of the stuff that he is wearing is actually not incredibly expensive clothing. It’s just all about, which I did say in my interview too, is all about the fit for him. It’s all about making sure that he has very close, very good fit. That is what’s really going to differentiate him. As far as Gamby, his clothing, like, it fits him, but not in the same way, because Gamby’s clothing sort of makes him look like a dump truck.

Right.

Which was on purpose. Both of the styles and both of the fits actually affect their posture and their walk, and that’s something that you really want to achieve with costume design. Walton just brings so much to it. I mean, he really got into it and he loved it. I’m very happy that he trusts me as a human, so that’s good.
Much more via the link.

Just finished watching that finale. Waited a long time this episode for the other shoe to drop, and damn did it drop.

My vote's on Russell.

JeTmAn81

Checked out the free HBO Now trial, catching up on this show. Episode 2 in Dr. Brown's house...talking about things escalating quickly.

Edit: And finished!

So about that last scene...there are two sociopaths on this show, but which one showed himself as a true psychopath already?

sp3ctr3

I just finished episode 6 and I absolutely LOVE IT! I laughed so hard in episode 2 when they go nuts in the principals house.

Will watch the remaining episodes today

Socreges

Banned
Gamby can be hard to watch. I had to pause episode 3 when he was on the bus with the teacher intel because I know he's going to get found out. Rough.

OK I fucking lost it when Lee dropped the clown

Socreges

Banned
Awesome show. Took me a few episodes to warm to it, but I ended up finishing it all within a few days.

I'm guessing I should try EBD now?

Matty77

Awesome show. Took me a few episodes to warm to it, but I ended up finishing it all within a few days.

I'm guessing I should try EBD now?
Yes,yes you should. Powers is more of an asshole than Gamby, not as relatable but it makes it easier to laugh at him.

big ander

Caught up with this last month and it is fantastic. Hill and McBride's style is so singularly funny and mean and human. Can't wait for season 2—which seems to be a ways off, but that'll just give me time to finally watch Eastbound season 4.

Ogodei

Marathoned the show this afternoon because it was on HBO. Caught everything but a chunk of the first episode.

Shit's wild, you start with Neal who's a complete asshole but actually becomes something more as time goes on, even as he continues down the path he started in the first episode, while Lee remains the instigator, the devil on Neal's shoulder, but he has his own softer side (seems to genuinely love his wife, at least).

Belinda's story is really tragic. Aside from moving to South Carolina in the first place as a move to purely spite her ex-husband away from seeing their kids, she really does nothing wrong. Comes on too strong sometimes (like when going after the English teacher in the frame-up), but she never does bad even when it seems like she might, until she gets drunk off her ass on gin, anyway.

Lee's neighbor is the only character who seems totally irredeemable, though.

- Vice Principals Season 2: Official Tease #1 (another copy here if there are region-locking issues)

- ‘Vice Principals': HBO Sets Final-Season Premiere For Back-To-School Time
Ring-ring goes the bell. HBO said today that the second and final season of Vice Principals will premiere just as the new school year kicks in. The angry comedy returns with the first of nine new episodes at 10:30 PM Sunday, September 17.

The show's sophomore year sees the tumultuous school year at North Jackson High continue, and the new semester brings lots of changes. Gamby (Danny McBride) and Russell (Walton Goggins) are about to learn that the only thing harder than gaining power is holding on to it. Kimberly Hebert Gregory, Georgia King, Busy Phillips, Shea Whigham and Sheaun McKinney co-star.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom