• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vice Principals - Danny McBride & Walton Goggins - HBO Comedy - [update: S2 trailer!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I don't really want it to be Lee though. I found that all of this made them closer as friends, and put everything past. Sure he's a sick fuck, but still, it's what keeps that friendship alive.
I'm betting all of season 2 is them going at it. They had Belinda as a common enemy in season 1, and only each other in season 2.

Kayhan

'Fuck Bill Hayden!'

I watched it yesterday and that ending caught me by surprise. Kind of shifty of Lee to force a confession out of Gamby, was he recording? Really looking forward to season 2.

Well, Lee Russel is a shifty person. Actually, he is a shitty person.

Is he a shoot your supposed friend type of shitty person?

Probably.

Look at this asshole right here

B8Ouszj.gif

Revolver

'Fuck Bill Hayden!'

I watched it yesterday and that ending caught me by surprise. Kind of shifty of Lee to force a confession out of Gamby, was he recording? Really looking forward to season 2.

I can see Lee trying to record a confession from Gamby. "I didn't shoot you but I was setting your ass up."

I'm conflicted about the shooter, might have been Mrs. Brown's fixer guy from the start of the season.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
This was awesome. Finished it up yesterday. Ending was unreal, I love that kind of out of nowhere escalation.

The three prime suspects are Belinda(or notebook guy), Ms. Abbot and Lee. But my money would be on one of the latter two. Belinda is too obvious. Though they could easily pull some other crazy stuff and have it be Ray or someone more random and unassuming. Definitely hope it's not Lee.

TDLink

I think it definitely isn't Lee but they may play the angle where Gamby thinks it is initially. As others are saying, it just isn't Lee's style at all. He's psycho but not to the point of murdering someone. There's been examples in the series thus far of how he does things. If murder was ever on the table he would have just done that to Belinda in the first place.

I think there's no way it's Lee. Obviously it's also not Amanda, Ms. Swift, or his daughter either. It could be almost any other character though and I'd buy it if they justified it with a comedic reason (and I could see that happening with most of them).

Belinda or someone related to Belinda (the PI or her Ex) are all strong contenders, as is Ms. Abbott I think. I view the rest as all having a lesser chance but could still work depending on how they play it.

It's probably Bruce though, obviously.

Completely out of left field guess:

The vice principals at Percival High declaring war on Gamby and Lee, jealous that they have surpassed them as vice principals.

Adds a possible Ray connection too.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Maybe it's the secretary that Gamby had to fire.

You know, as I was trying to think of other characters that might have done it, this thought crossed my mind. She seemed to take losing her job pretty hard, and Gamby is the one that did it (much more bluntly than he needed to, as usual)

So I stopped watching this show after the first 2 episodes because it was kind of disappointing but from some reactions in here it sounds like it gets significantly better. Is that the case?

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
So I stopped watching this show after the first 2 episodes because it was kind of disappointing but from some reactions in here it sounds like it gets significantly better. Is that the case?

Yes. Its only 9 episodes and they go fast. If you have the time try it out.

Grinchy

Banned

If you didn't like the first 2, there's no reason to go back and watch the others IMO.

mm04

This went from dark humor to straight up dark this episode! I hope it's not Lee, but I can see the reasoning for it being him.

TDLink

If you didn't like the first 2, there's no reason to go back and watch the others IMO.

Disagree. First 2 are the worst episodes. I had a friend try the first two and he was going to give up on the show. Convinced him to watch episode 5 (the neighbor and circles) and he loved it. Went back and watched 3 and 4 and then continued on from there.

yeah, danny mcbride said they created it so the beginning fucks with people and makes them think the show is something it's not. i was iffy on it for the first 3 or 4 episodes, but then it changes.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
But why wouldn't he shoot his neighbor? Lee seems twisted, almost an imaginary figure for Gamby in the early episodes. He never seemed to have it in him to cross the line.

I'm going with Lee's neighbor. Even though there's the sidewalk, he's still taller than Danny McBride. No one takes brass knuckles and forgets about it!

It's extremely relevant that the shooter was dressed as a Native American warrior, though, isn't it? That's the school mascot after all. So either it's related to school politics or made to look like it was. The other thing is burning the cars: is it definitely a reference to burning the house or could it be unrelated, since it's also a rather common act of violence?

If it's related to the house wouldn't that mean it has to be someone who knows it was Gamby and Russell who burned it down? I mean it's technically possible Belinda recorded their final conversation and someone else got their hands on the recording, but this someone would need their own motivation for doing it.

Edit: could it be related to the football game? I can't remember if they ended up cheating to win that one or not.

- Esquire: Danny McBride Wants to Keep Pushing the Boundaries of Comedy
It is interesting because it gives some insight to this modern-day Southern sensibility that's a little hard to pin down. It obviously lends itself to comedy, but you really made Neal Gamby into a three-dimensional character. He's got some really terrible tendencies, but there might be a good heart down there that's hidden beneath his shittier qualities. How do you manage to get all of that into your character in a 30-minute show?

I think it comes down to how hard we work on these scripts and how hard we work to make our characters and their worlds three-dimensional. It's very easy in comedy to take a bunch of personality types and give an audience two-dimensional characters and throw in a bunch of punchlines. We liked the idea of doing a show where it seemed like you were going to get a bunch of broad characters—but then doing the unexpected and finding depth in every episode.

Right, it sort of feels like you pulled the rug out from under the audience a bit.

We were really conscious of that. Jody and I are both bored with the current state of comedy. It's so tough to make any edgy comedies these days—people do not show up for them. You can make a superhero movie and make $120 million in a weekend, and then a really good comedy will pull in about $20 million. It just seems like to me that's not the place right now to push the boundaries of comedy—people go to theaters for the expected and for comedies that play it safe. The format of television lets us fuck with the audience's expectations. That's what we liked about this: That people would tune into Episode One and think they know what it's going to be, and then they'll continue and see the slow growth form. It was fun to plot something out that way without following the usual guidelines.

On paper, the premise of Vice Principals is, for lack of a better word, pretty problematic—you have these two middle-aged white guys trying to destroy the career and life of a black woman. They're not heroes in any way. Yet you see some tendencies in your character in which he might be questioning how far he's taking things, the venom with which he's attacking her.

When we came up with the idea for the story, it was completely about figuring out how to do something people had never seen before—something unexpected. Audiences are so fucking smart—they can see things coming from a mile away. On this show, you're not following the heroes. You're following the villains. People might feel like they're rooting for these guys only because they're being presented as the guys you're supposed to root for. But each thing you see them do, it makes you question why you could ever root for them. I think that makes it more interesting.

These two guys are taking this principal job as seriously as anyone on Game of Thrones fighting for the Iron Throne. [Laughs] Yet they're in this small, suburban setting and they're pushing themselves to such extremes, all for this position that they think will solve everything that's wrong in their lives. Ultimately, the show is a tragedy presented as a comedy.

I think one of the funniest things about the show is how these two are so obsessed with maintaining their power—even though they don't really have any to begin with.

A lot of it has to do with how far people will go in order to win. These guys break laws, they do these heinous acts—all in the pursuit of this one job. But all of the characters do things they probably shouldn't in order to get what they want. Even Belinda, moving her kids to South Carolina to get back at her husband. We all compromise our better judgment for the things we think we deserve.
More via the link.

ironmang

Just saw the last episode. Wow, this show man. Reminded me of the gut punches you'd get at the end of some Breaking Bad episodes. Can't wait for S2.

robotrock

Banned
I think Ray did it guys. Honestly. The stuff about the knife was weird, as well as that speech about his step daughter.

The mask the shooter wore was similar to the masks the Percival football players wore, and Ray is an ex-Percival football player. It's gotta be him.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I think Ray did it guys. Honestly. The stuff about the knife was weird, as well as that speech about his step daughter.

The mask the shooter wore was similar to the masks the Percival football players wore, and Ray is an ex-Percival football player. It's gotta be him.

I thought North Jackson was the Warriors, and Percival was Ram related.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom