• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vice Principals - Danny McBride & Walton Goggins - Season 2 - Sundays on HBO

New episode tonight:
The King

Gamby's (Danny McBride) search for his shooter leads him into a novelist's graduate-school class; Russell's (Walton Goggins) ire is fueled by an unflattering caricature.

robotrock

Banned
is the sound mix on the new series absolutely atrocious or is it just me? can't remember if it was an issue with season 1 or not. using the HBO Go app

sjboi

is the sound mix on the new series absolutely atrocious or is it just me? can't remember if it was an issue with season 1 or not. using the HBO Go app

I use HBO Go and I always have sound quality problems with almost all of their shows, including GoT — usually really soft dialogue but extremely loud fx/music. Vice Principals is particularly egregious, it has the loudest intro to a show I’ve ever heard in my life.

robotrock

Banned
I watched it on tv and the voices would drop where you couldn't hear them

Yeah I watched this episode live on TV too and had the exact same issue. There's one that was perfectly timed for when Danny McBride was swearing and it totally felt like I was watching standard TV

I think
Ray
is the shooter. The way
he acts in Gamby's shed was weird and I think his main motive is that he Gamby treats his Gale like shit in front of him all the time. Gale may also be the accomplice.

robotrock

Banned
I think
Ray
is the shooter.The way
he acts in Gamby's shed was mysterious and I think his motive is that he Gamby treats his Gale like shit in front of him all the time.

yeah they were definitely playing him up there lol. kind of seemed like he was scared of gamby's detective work.

I think
Ray
is the shooter. The way
he acts in Gamby's shed was weird and I think his main motive is that he Gamby treats his Gale like shit in front of him all the time. Gale may also be the accomplice.
Yeah, that's who I think it is as well. Was acting real suspect around Gamby.

"Frankenstein had a monster? "

Gamby really messed things up with Snottgrass.

"It's perfect for me. The big ones hurt" - Things you never want to hear your wife say.

Yeah, that's who I think it is as well. Was acting real suspect around Gamby.
Definitely felt like they were hinting it. Plus it would make sense to cast a relatively big character actor in that role if it were to become important down the line. But we don't really know anything about Ray that would make that turn make sense. It would be a weird direction to take. He's a guy who's secretly so resentful of Gamby that he's willing to shoot him, but not shoot to kill? It feels unearned and unsatisfying.

Ogodei

This episode did better on the humor side than the last few. Gamby's flailing in front of the class was funny, as was the incident with the fired teacher.

Russell's just careening into the darkness. Damn. He was never nice, but he seemed more sympathetic last season with his troubles at home.

bill0527

Not feeling season 2 at all. Not having a clear antagonist like Belinda Brown to Russel and Gamby is hurting it. The season seems very muddy and no direction. I've invested this much so I'll finish it but I'm not even laughing near as much as I did the first season.

120v

i actually like this season better. seems like everything is set up to where the characters' absurdities can really shine, or perhaps they just finally got in the groove of writing/ad libbing them, i dunno. felt like the first season had a much longer comedic payoff to its detriment

big ander

I thought this was the best episode of the season. And one of the best of the entire series so far.

Each scene was full of funny lines and played with an interesting character dynamic, and the characters were taken seriously dramatically at the same time. I thought seeing more of Snodgrass's perspective was great and much-needed. The opening with her truly distraught undercut by that blunt second hand denial was hysterical/heartbreaking.

Socreges

Banned
Season 1 finale finished with a climax. Season 2 is now setting up different plot points that will, you'd imagine, get tied together in the next several episodes.

For me:

S2E1 - fun, characters reintroduced in new situations
S2E2 - a sudden lull, aimless
S2E3 - still kinda aimless, but funny (imo)

Not feeling season 2 at all. Not having a clear antagonist like Belinda Brown to Russel and Gamby is hurting it. The season seems very muddy and no direction. I've invested this much so I'll finish it but I'm not even laughing near as much as I did the first season.
The 'anti-villain' is gone for now, but the speech about reconstruction imo hinted at what's happening with season 2. In particular, "History is written by the winners" perked up Gamby. I'm pretty confident the season will get better as it goes along.

Solo

It's kind of odd seeing the "not feeling S2" comments, since it isn't a S2 in the classic television sense. This was all written, shot and edited at the same time. So S1 and S2 are basically two halfs of one season, and not 2 separate entities written, shot and cut a year apart like most shows.

And so far it's on the same level of consistency for me, as it should be.

I yelped with laughter when he slapped her mom in the forehead. Funniest shit in years.
WvhUtUo.gif

I am enjoying the season just as much, but it does feel different. David Gordon Green has a very different style, and removing Belinda Brown as an antagonist makes for a big change. So I get why people are comparing the two seasons. The standout for me in the latest episode was that boobytrap montage. "Safety above all else" really got me. What was the caption on the second cartoon? "Racing to the finish?" It felt like a legitimate clue rather than a whiffed punchline. If Russell gets in a bike crash or something next episode then we'll know.

This season has been fantastic. This show is in general and it will suck when it ends. Literally every aspect is great. The cast, the chemistry, the music, the story, the fact that there are moments of sincerity/heart, etc...

Gamby defending his house choice over and over in the scene with his ex wife was funny.

I am enjoying the season just as much, but it does feel different. David Gordon Green has a very different style, and removing Belinda Brown as an antagonist makes for a big change. So I get why people are comparing the two seasons. The standout for me in the latest episode was that boobytrap montage. "Safety above all else" really got me. What was the caption on the second cartoon? "Racing to the finish?" It felt like a legitimate clue rather than a whiffed punchline. If Russell gets in a bike crash or something next episode then we'll know.

I was all ready to zang this post but holy shit you’re right. DGG didn’t direct any episodes in the first season.

big ander

I was all ready to zang this post but holy shit you’re right. DGG didn’t direct any episodes in the first season.
That's a major facet of the way they shot it and are airing it. Season 1 was Jody Hill, Season 2 is David Gordon Green (with McBride directing 1 ep in each half). McBride, Hill and DGG have all talked a lot about how they split it that way so the directors could give each half a specific tone.

That's a major facet of the way they shot it and are airing it. Season 1 was Jody Hill, Season 2 is David Gordon Green (with McBride directing 1 ep in each half). McBride, Hill and DGG have all talked a lot about how they split it that way so the directors could give each half a specific tone.

Very interesting.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
This show is great .... I don't know why but I think that the lady doing security with Gamby is the shooter. I just can't remember how tall the shooter was in that episode.

This show is great .... I don't know why but I think that the lady doing security with Gamby is the shooter. I just can't remember how tall the shooter was in that episode.
Lol! God I love that character. But yeah, I was thinking that could be a possibility as well.

I called that the shooter was Ray before this season started, but the way it made him so suspicious last episode almost makes me think it wasn't him. I don't think this show would give such a big hint/insinuation.

Also, what if the shooter is Bill Murray? No reason needed

Ogodei

She was a completely new hire to North Jackson High after Gamby got shot.

CaramelMarx

Neo Member
I've come to this show late, but having recently caught up I'll say this: I don't think any other show on TV better encapsulates the curdled white resentment of the 'Trump era' than VP. What seemed from trailers to be a lukewarm Kenny Powers reheat is very much its own thing...and Lee Russell is quickly becoming one of my favorite fictional dictators ever.

Top Bottom