• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vice Principals - Danny McBride & Walton Goggins - Season 2 - Sundays on HBO

Yeah love that the show is back, lots of fun little amazing moments. I am so happy to have a good comedy show with a definite beginning and end, we need way more 10-20 episode series that don't drag on and on, especially in this day and age of binge watching.

Great first episode can't wait for more Gamby and Russell fuckery. Anyone else think about the new Halloween sequel during that opening scene?

Ultimadrago

I've never heard of this show before. I happen to be near the end of my The Shield rewatch so "Walton Goggins" caught my eye in the title. I may check it out from the first season as I love good, black comedy!

ovwz1pi.gif

Does anyone know what the song was on the kid's boombox at the end?
There are listings here, but no one has posted that particular song yet.

- HBO interview: Danny McBride Says Season 2 Will Push Neal Gamby to His Limits
What does it take to balance the darkness and emotion of the series with its unique comedy?

DANNY MCBRIDE: When we write it, we never approach it as a comedy. We approach it as a drama. Ground the characters. Ground the story. When I was growing up, I’d see comedic films and I would always laugh at the first half of them, but be bored in the last 20 minutes. Because I wasn’t invested in the story enough; I was just laughing at the jokes. So for us, it was a matter of keeping people entertained the whole way through -- beginning to end -- and not just turning the climax into a one-off joke just to get it out of the way. We approached this like it was a drama and then found the comedy in people taking what they want so seriously.
- HBO interview: Walton Goggins Is Excited for Russell’s Journey
HBO:
Since both seasons were shot simultaneously, did you have a sense of Lee’s backstory when working on Season 1?

WALTON GOGGINS: For me, Season 1 was so well-written that I was just responsible for filling that in. What these guys [creators Danny McBride and Jody Hill] accomplished on paper allowed me to imagine who Lee was and why he was in that much pain. I didn’t really know until later about some of the things that are explored in Season 2.

- The Wrap: ‘Vice Principals’ Star Kimberly Hebert Gregory Talks ‘Filthy’ Premiere Tattoo, ‘Heartbreaking’ Season 2
Among the more memorable moments in Sunday’s Season 2 premiere was Belinda revealing that she has a tattoo of Gamby and Russell holding hands while, uh, eating feces. Needless to say, Gamby refers to the tattoo as “filthy.”

Gregory told TheWrap that an artist created a number of temporary tattoos as options for her to wear, but the one that viewers saw was the obvious winner.

“That one was the icing on the cake — I loved it so much,” she said. She added with a laugh, “I wish I actually could have taken one with me, worn it on the red carpet.”

Did she keep the tattoo after she was done filming?

“Absolutely not! I was like, ‘Can we get the rubbing alcohol? I cannot walk out into the world with this on me. Not possible!'”
The creative team behind “Vice Principals” has previously announced that the show would end after two seasons and, according to Gregory, this is still the plan, despite the show being one of HBO’s highest-rated comedies.

“[The network] talked about that while we were shooting [Season 2] — and [creator] Jody [Hill] and the producers are very clear that they came to this with a movie idea — that the two seasons would meet their requirement of telling that full story that they wanted to tell,” she said. “Would we love a third season? Absolutely, but that’s not in the works.”

Bring in Stevie Janowski to teach music at North Jackson for S3 imo.
No no no no NOOOOO

I can't be the only person that detests that character, can I? Eastbound and Down would be up there with the top TV comedies of all time if it wasn't for him.

Who am I kidding, it still is.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
No no no no NOOOOO

I can't be the only person that detests that character, can I? Eastbound and Down would be up there with the top TV comedies of all time if it wasn't for him.

Who am I kidding, it still is.

0572_awjgm.gif

stevie the best

- Danny McBride talks the second and final season of 'Vice Principals'
It's been a year-long wait for fans of the series, even though McBride revealed that the entire season was completed long ago.

"When the first season aired, we had just turned in the last episode of the whole thing," McBride, 40, told Peter Travers. "So even when it was done, I remember I emailed HBO. I was like, 'Come on, can’t you just give it to them next week and just put it back out there?' They were like, 'No, we’re waiting a year.'"
McBride, who was once a substitute teacher, said that some parts of the show stem from his own real-life experiences.

"Before I did 'Eastbound,' I was a substitute teacher and I was just fascinated with the idea of stories that took place in a school because I had obviously been a student and had no idea, no concept that there was all this other stuff happening in the teacher's lounge," McBride said.

"It’s very rare to have these places where so many people that are different have to be under one roof," he continued. "There’s all these things that are happening that are like one whole section of the people have no idea that the teachers are going through it. And the teachers have no idea that the students are going through it. And it just seemed like an atmosphere to go and create something and bring different types of people together. And it also kind feels that it could be looked at as a kingdom ... what these guys are battling over is ultimately a throne."
Full video interview via the link.

Ogodei

Huh, maybe this is finally a moral turning point for Gamby, while Russell goes further off the rails.

Goggins absolutely killing it with the laughs this episode.

Interesting episode. One would think that firing six teachers would really grab the superintendent's attention... I'd like to see how that plays out..
I can’t imagine he lasts too much longer as principal if he keeps this up. Maybe he loses his job and gets really unhinged.

Socreges

Banned
Tbh I didn't really like that episode. Very few funny moments and just a lot of Lee being an asshole

Oh well. I'm sure it's just a brief lull

The dramatic turn at the end actually worked really well for me. As someone who has had to take care of a terminally ill parent it made me a little emotional to see Gamby show the kid some kindness.

I know it was done at the same time, but this season seems way funnier. I'm laughing a lot more. Maybe because they're not actively victimizing an african american woman in a position of power all episode lmao

Top Bottom