• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Getting On - A dark new comedy from the creators of Big Love - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

UrbanRats

Watched Ep1, i already love the 2 main characters (Dawn & Didi).
And the actress playing the sister at the end was damn good, right in he feels.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
If anyone is interested, the entire original series (15 episodes) has been added to Hulu.

My wife and I have watched about half of it, and so far most of the episodes are either exactly like or mirrored by episodes of the HBO version.

Also, Peter Capaldi (the new Doctor Who) appears in several episodes and directed about half of the series.

Thanks for the heads up! Is it on Hulu Free or is it only for +?

UrbanRats

Up to Ep3, and this is really endearing and fun and frustrating all at the same time, but it doesn't seem to be going anywhere as a general arc, which is weird for a season so short.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Season 2 has begun filming. Here's a picture of Marley, the show's mascot :3

OaPqKGK.jpg

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Season two premieres today!

No Such Thing as Idealized Genitalia

In the second-season premiere, Dr. James' research projects are all over the ward. Meanwhile, DiDi lobbies for a raise; Patsy's "Lean & Green" initiative doesn't go over well; and Dawn finds out what's wrong with her.

Leunam

Vaginal atrophy is not a phrase I ever expected to hear.

Enjoyed the season opener. Preview looked really good, too.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight:

Is Soap a Hazardous Substance?

A hospice program is introduced on the ward, increasing Didi's responsibilities; a medical emergency makes Patsy a patient; Dawn shares news about her future; an alcoholic patient prescribes her own medication.

UrbanRats

I'll get on Season 2 eventually.
S1 was good, but as i said the lack of a stronger arc for the season, made it a bit harder to keep following the show, with all the other shit out there to watch.

Leunam

Dr. James shutting down that alcoholic lady felt good.

Also, Dr. Evilore is sticking around, it seems. I really hope the new nurse hangs for a while, too, but I hope this doesn't squeeze out the main four in any way.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight!

Turnips...North Day...Yes, yes.

A computer server crashes and forces the staff to revert to its old-school ways; DiDi's decision about Arlene's mother-in-law irks Dr. Stickley; Dr. James has trouble communicating with a deaf patient; Dawn buys a cello.

Leunam

There's got to be a gentler way to communicate to someone that you're not in fact having a child. And I'm surprised by the way Dawn took the news. Maybe we'll see it more in the coming episodes, I suppose it hasn't had time to sink in yet.

Also, the lady that Didi interacts with regularly cracks me up. I'm going to pretend to be asleep when I'm old so I can get out of doing stuff.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight!

The 7th Annual Christmas Card Competition

A Christmas card competition turns awkward with an accidental contribution from Dr. James; DiDi is tempted by a visiting doctor; a patient with cancer makes a startling proposal; Patsy and Dawn's relationship comes to a head.

Leunam

The fucking stairwell scene, amazing.

I'm surprised with how many different things they can fit in half an hour. Great comedic bits like Birdie and her stay to more emotional moments like with Dr. James and the terminal patient.

okno

CONES ARE UP!

The ending to Turnips... North Day... Yes, yes, had me in tears. This is a truly spectacular show and deserves so much more attention than it is getting.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Yeah, this week's episode was just great. I hope HBO renews it, but critics are still sleeping on it and ratings are lower than ever. It's apparently really cheap to make though, so who knows?

I should make a post on the Veep thread to get people to watch this. This show is like Veep but with Medicine instead of Politics. Also a lot darker

jmood88

I think I'm one of about 10 people who watch this show, which is a shame, though it's all HBO's fault. The only reason I heard of it last year was because a quick ad popped up on HBO Go and I, for some reason, decided to watch.

I actually had to go to HBO's wiki page to see what all they air (couldn't remember lol) and was shocked by how mediocre most of it is. I'd put Veep up there and The Comeback (and maybe Silicon Valley) but the rest? Blah.

The only ongoing shows HBO currently has that I love are Veep, Getting On, Last Week Tonight with John Oliver, and to a lesser extent Silicon Valley. I never saw the first season of The Comeback so I haven't been watching this one.

Other than that it's pretty dire. I don't think they'll even air a single drama other than Game of Thrones in the first half of 2015.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
For some reason I decided to look up the British show since I remember Jo Brand being on it, and I discovered that Peter Capaldi directed the first two seasons of the show. How random.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The penultimate episode airs tonight!

The Revolving Door Admit

DiDi deals with her younger sister, who's filling in on the ward and trying to impress Dawn; Dr. James encounters resistance to her research methods; an award goes to Patsy's head; the staff are anxious to discharge a particular patient.

okno

The only ongoing shows HBO currently has that I love are Veep, Getting On, Last Week Tonight with John Oliver, and to a lesser extent Silicon Valley. I never saw the first season of The Comeback so I haven't been watching this one.

Other than that it's pretty dire. I don't think they'll even air a single drama other than Game of Thrones in the first half of 2015.

Watch the first season of Comeback, skip this season. I can't handle anymore of Valerie Cherish, it's just painful at this point and not fun.

Can't wait to watch tonight's episode. Ain't even going to read the synopsis.

Can we also get a "what what" for the amazing performance Laurie Metcalf does as Dr. Jenna James? Her mannerisms slay me every time. She's so entrenched in her own world that she can't relate to 99% of people, and when she gets thrust into a situation, such as when the reiki patient asked her to hold her hand, her brain goes haywire trying to understand the purpose of it. Love her so much in this.

God this episode was amazing and the finale looks like its gping to be amazing.

I cannot wait. Has this been picked up for a 3rd season yet?

Leunam

Damn, finale already? I'll take it I suppose.

Nice to see Varla again. Was wondering why she was so different from her appearance last season and then she went off. I love Birdie, she's always good for a quick dash of comedy.

Having Princess come in briefly was a smart way to give insight into Didis upbringing and her character. Moment of brilliance for Dawn as well for handling the Princess and Didi fallout well.

Leunam

It looks like they were just having a departmental pot luck luncheon.

The hair could be any number of things. I don't remember her calling anyones attention to it.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The finale airs tonight!

Doctor Death

In the Season 2 finale, disturbing news about the hospice program is revealed by a whistle-blower, which could jeopardize the staff's future. Meanwhile, Dawn finds herself with two suitors; and DiDi discusses her salary issues with Dr. James.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom