• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kyrie Irving wants to be traded from the Cavs LeBron blindsided

BobLoblaw

Banned
At best, this is logical decision to forgo the chance at a championship this year in lieu of maybe going to a team with a future of contending, but publicly giving really poor reasons and rumors about real reasons making you look selfish. That's best case scenario.

NBA offseason is crazy.
The craziest I've ever seen. And we're still waiting to see what happens with Melo.

Spinluck

Kyrie is a great offensive asset, but that's about it.

Trash on D
Can't run the offense
Has 0 vision for a PG
Subpar passer

Unless he completely changes his game, he won't be carrying any time anywhere. Cavs offense looked like dogshit when it ran through Kyrie and Bron was resting.

Kyrie was integral in the Finals win, but LeBron is the reason they're there and also the reason they even have a chance. They will get to the Finals again as long as LeBron is himself. East is horrid.

qcf x2

Lol @ Lebron being blindsided. I bet he was thinking about his teammates when he decided to do the Decision and take his talents to South Beach, and yet he has the nerve to react that way when Kyrie wants to make a career move? Lol fuck outta here with that junk. I think he's just salty that Kyrie leaving (if he gets traded) puts more pressure on him to either succeed or stay in Cleveland (IMO both of which won't happen for the foreseeable future).

I do wonder what Kyrie's reason is for wanting to leave though, maybe he's sick of the lack of accountability that Lebron has while he harps on his teammates for not doing enough? Or is it just a pure career move being proactive before Lebron royally fucks over the Cavs and leaves.

Yikes, this is a lot of vitriol based on pure speculation. Let Lebron publicly react first.

Anyone else feel like there's still another surprise left in the offseason? We need a grand finale.

Without Porzingis, the only way this trade happens for the Knicks is a 3 team trade that gets Cleveland a decent PG back in return. Something like this: (hat tip to postingandtoasting, a knicks blog I follow)

DFTOLXnUMAAFMmW.jpg

The Knicks would have to give future firsts to Phoenix for them to even consider this. Like 2 unprotected or just top 3 protected.

This is the only realistic way. Melo plus filler aint gonna cut it.

Without Porzingis, the only way this trade happens for the Knicks is a 3 team trade that gets Cleveland a decent PG back in return. Something like this: (hat tip to postingandtoasting, a knicks blog I follow)

DFTOLXnUMAAFMmW.jpg

The Knicks would have to give future firsts to Phoenix for them to even consider this. Like 2 unprotected or just top 3 protected.

Why would the Suns do this lol .. and Felder lmao

"hey suns, take 2/3 horribly overpriced players, you're welcome!!"

Luol Deng straight up for Kyrie works with the trade machine...would love it if Kyrie ended up with the Lakers, essentially cockblocking Lebron there (and this would cripple Lonzo's development, so won't work).

John Wall for Kyrie also works, as does Boogie Cousins...as does Klay Thompson, lol

Cavs CAN get something for Kyrie, but anyone willing to play with them?

I personally would love to see Kyrie traded to Miami for Goran..Riley's Revenge, ha

DFTOLXnUMAAFMmW.jpg

Worst trade machine ever.

Suns would need to get 10 unprotected firsts for them to even entertain taking this

DFTOLXnUMAAFMmW.jpg

Why would the Suns even get involved if that's all they are getting? They are basically trading Eric bledsoe for trash. Suns have the most assets of those teams if they are getting involved it'll be because they want Kyrie for themselves.

Fjordson

Still hard to believe this is going on. Was definitely one of the most surprising bball headlines I've ever seen pop up on my phone.

And has there even been a generic denial statement from like Kyrie or his agent?

As a Cavs fan, it's sad to hear he wants to be traded now. With LeBron's player option next year, we certainly don't know how that's gonna go, so Kyrie bringing it up now, may allow us more time to get better value.

At the same time, I will always love him as a Player, he's a god damn Champion. Same with LeBron. They'll always be Cavs to me, they'll always be Champions.

dear god help us

jdstorm

Banned
If you are looking Suns/Cavs deal for Bledsoe you would have to include Kevin Love and then find a 3rd team to deal Kyrie too that would have a serviceable Love replacement.

If you could do Kyrie for Boogie straight up and the trade Love for Bledsoe and Warren thats actually a nice upgrade for Cleveland.

However then you have the issue of Lebron and Boogie potentially leaving for nothing in the same summer while having aquired no future assets for either Kyrie or Love is a huge problem.

A lot has changed in the NBA over the last 4 years. One thing that has not changed is that defense is still very relevant.

I actually agree with you. Where my opinion differs is that i think the definition of good defense is changing. Good offenses are changing the game and rewriting both statistical metrics and conventional wisdom on what constitutes good defense.

In the 2016 playoffs we saw OKC with Durant, Westbrook, Ibaka, Waiters ect go 6-1 against two teams with a combined 140 regular season wins while putting up a +15 MOV in wins and an overall MOV of +9

Keep in mind the Spurs regualr season MOV was 11 and the Warriors were at 10. So OKC in the 2016 NBA playoffs was better then the Spurs and Warriors by the same amount that the Spurs and Warriors had been better then the 2016 Charlotte Hornets in the regular season across that 7 game sample. Whats notable about those games is that for the most part especially against the Warriors, known poor shooter Andre Roberson shot well from 3 and went 6/11 allowing Westbrook and Durant more space then they usually had.

Since then teams have only gotten smarter about having as many 3pt shooters on the floor as possible. As seen with the 2017 Warriors and Rockets posting offensive numbers that haven't been seen since the Nash/Amare Suns. Yet in 2017/18 the top teams are looking to push beyond even that with Chris Paul joining the Rockets and OKC looking to surround Westbrook with 3pt shooting after it was nonexistent last season.

In 2017/18 we are going to see year 2 of the Durant/Curry/Klay trio. We are going to see lineups where Chris Paul and James Harden are surrounded by 3 other close to 40% 3pt shooters.

We are potentially going to see lineups with Russell Westbrook and Paul George surrounded by 3 37% 3pt shooters. OKC are about to have a team where you have to either guard Westbrook and or Paul George 1 on 1 or give up an open 3 to a 37+% 3pt shooter.

TLDR: The 3pt shot is OP, PLZ Nerf.

Why would the Suns even get involved if that's all they are getting? They are basically trading Eric bledsoe for trash. Suns have the most assets of those teams if they are getting involved it'll be because they want Kyrie for themselves.

2 knicks 1st rounders pretty much guaranteed to be top 5 with or without kyrie. But you're right anyway that they'd prolly want him. They would have to know he wouldn't ever re-sign with them though

Top Bottom