• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forget about physics - the official Dissidia Final Fantasy thread

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Urban Scholar said:
:lol Hey Fuu, where have you been?
Hey there Urban. Just Pushing some real life projects forward and generally staying away from the internet. Managed to get some playing time lately and felt like dropping by. :)

Props on the official thread, it helped me understand the battle system a bit more.

Fuu said:
Hey there Urban. Just Pushing some real life projects forward and generally staying away from the internet. Managed to get some playing time lately and felt like dropping by. :)

Props on the official thread, it helped me understand the battle system a bit more.

Cool, cool same here and good luck on your end.

Alright picked up my copy and installing the data at 542 mb. Man that seems a bit bigger than the JP version. Just flipping through the guide book, man this thing is huge at 350+ pages and a nice foldout poster of the heroes... CGI models though

bh7812

Banned
TheChillyAcademic said:
I thought I'd initially go by chapter difficulty when deciding what Destiny to choose...but going by game (FFI then FFII etc) just seemed the right thing to do. :D

That's how I'm playing it too, going in order of each game. But I'll warn people this..at least from what I'm experiencing, parts of the Destiny from FFI are HARD and live up to that 5-star difficulty rating. Oh well I am almost through that section so one of the tougher sections of the game will be done.

The amount of detail in this game is insane. Dizzying as a matter of fact. If it's been in a Final Fantasy game or anything at all to do with FF, it's in this game. They really left nothing out. The production values are incredible. That opening really was something. To think, I was originally just going to pass on Dissidia for a while but I'm glad I didn't.

When Square gets something like this game right, to me, they are still on top of their game and are the very best at what they do. If anything this game is making me more excited to see FF13 and Versus. But it's a great game so far and would recommend it to all FF nuts and FF nerds :)

Urban Scholar said:
Alright picked up my copy and installing the data at 542 mb. Man that seems a bit bigger than the JP version. Just flipping through the guide book, man this thing is huge at 350+ pages and a nice foldout poster of the heroes... CGI models though

really? sweet I love Fighting Game Guide Books. mines coming sometime this week. Maybe it'll make me suck less.

Can I ask for Pics of the Guidebook? amazon didn't have any.

Shouta

Urban Scholar said:
Actually he's on the top tier list(post #16). I'm not kidding in saying that if you used him efficiently you would be whopping arse left and right. Then the same could be said about anyone. Tidus is in my top 3 of fighters in game.

The tier list is a bit silly especially because a lot of the characters are capable of some crazy as hell junk. The game really isn't a standard fighting game so a tier list like that is fairly deceptive.

Knux-Future said:
really? sweet I love Fighting Game Guide Books. mines coming sometime this week. Maybe it'll make me suck less.

Can I ask for Pics of the Guidebook? amazon didn't have any.

I don't have a digi cam with me but here's a pdf sample link http://www.bradygames.com/content/images/9780744011425/samplepages/1142-5_Dissidia.pdf

Shouta said:
The tier list is a bit silly especially because a lot of the characters are capable of some crazy as hell junk. The game really isn't a standard fighting game so a tier list like that is fairly deceptive.

You're completely right. I use Onion Knight mainly and I do just fine against everyone. The list really is throw away especially considering the balance changes.

kai3345

Banned
Playin' the demo as we speak, really liking it except fights only seem to last like a few moves and then its over.

EDIT: Also square and circle seem to be the only ways to attack, and hearing Cecil's "Beneath the light....comes judgment!" Gets annoying after a bit. Is there any way to do a different attack?

kai3345 said:
Playin' the demo as we speak, really liking it except fights only seem to last like a few moves and then its over.

yeah. full game it will a lot longer and tougher as you progress with more moves to pick from!

Tamanon

Banned
kai3345 said:

EDIT: Also square and circle seem to be the only ways to attack, and hearing Cecil's "Beneath the light....comes judgment!" Gets annoying after a bit. Is there any way to do a different attack?

You can also do different attacks based on what direction you're pushing with the buttons and whether you're in the air.

fernoca

Any pictures of someone opening the Dissidia-PSP bundle?

I'm trying to wait for the PSPGo..but..darn I want to play this so bad!..and God of War..and others.. :(

It sucks that the game doesn't come in it's own case in the bundle, so I need to see pics to remember that..and wait.. :p

So...hmmm.

After reading some of the strategy guide...is the "right" way to progress through the game by difficulty? Is that how the story is set up as well?

=/

TheChillyAcademic said:
So...hmmm.

After reading some of the strategy guide...is the "right" way to progress through the game by difficulty? Is that how the story is set up as well?

=/

No...pfft. Just play whom you wish although it should be noted that their respected paths are really gauged on the difficulty depending upon star at level 1 to whatever it takes to clear it. I just forgo-ed all that by leveling people like crazy and what not.

neoism

Been playing for about 4 hours now and I'm loving it, I love quick play! Whats with the installs I'm just shy by 11mb to do the biggest one 543mb I think, so I did the 300 one, which is taking forever!

rataven

So that explains why Seph has pawned my WoL countless times now. I started in order rather than star rating. At least it's challenging! :lol

I'm liking WoL, except he doesn't have a very good HP attack, at least this early. I'm relying almost entirely on his EX Burst. Is there another attack I should be using? Think I have Shield of Light now.

After going through some of the Destiny's, it looks like the "Completely Chronological" path would be...

Cloud-Cecil-Tidus-Firion-Squall-Zidane-bartz-Onionknight-Terra-Warrior of Light

Edit: Which also would happen to be the scaling difficulty order.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
TheChillyAcademic said:
After going through some of the Destiny's, it looks like the "Completely Chronological" path would be...

Cloud-Cecil-Tidus-Firion-Squall-Zidane-bartz-Onionknight-Terra-Warrior of Light

Edit: Which also would happen to be the scaling difficulty order.
yeah, pretty much. I started with WoL, though, heh.

Deadly

I actually found the game pretty easy at first. It gets REALLY hard when you pass through the levels the 2nd time and have to beat the rare battle piece. Those are crazy :lol . I also really don't get how they scaled the leveling... By the 2nd time you're already like lvl40 during Destiny Odyssey. WoL and Cloud are my favorite to play so far.

Tamanon said:
The stories for each chapter happen parallel anyways so it doesn't matter what order you do them in.

Eh, it technically doesnt matter, but there are certain chronological elements that will be lost on those who haven't played in "order." Those here who, like me, started with WOL will know what I mean. Half way through his Destiny I totally got the feeling I started half way through a story I had no idea about lol

Just got home with the game, turn on my PSP, mandatory firmware update, "Battery level is too low"!

WTF.

Is there a way to bypass the battery check with official firmware? Tried L + Triangle and it doesn't work.

Seems I won't be able to play tonight damnit.

chesspieceface said:
Just got home with the game, turn on my PSP, mandatory firmware update, "Battery level is too low"!

WTF.

Is there a way to bypass the battery check with official firmware? Tried L + Triangle and it doesn't work.

Seems I won't be able to play tonight damnit.

do you want your psp to just turn off while updating to mess it up? ;P

just let it charge. it won't take that long.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Well, since Amazon or FedEx screwed up my Batman order, I've put a lot more time into this today than I had planned on. First of all, love love LOVE the black/white reversible PSP case. It's things like this that make me think twice about moving to DD exclusive on the PSP. I just love them cases.

Dissidia the game rocks as well. It's soooo freakin' deep. I'm amazed. So many unlockables/collectibles. I was a bit confused at first Chapter 1 being 5-star difficulty, that didn't make any sense, but I guess they are meant to be played out of order. Why number them then? Odd. Also WTF is up with the 1 hour long install?

Really happy with my purchase and I can't wait to listen to the soundtrack sampler on my Touch.

Shouta

DMPrince said:
do you want your psp to just turn off while updating to mess it up? ;P

just let it charge. it won't take that long.

Could just let it install while it's plugged in the wall...

Diseased Yak said:
Dissidia the game rocks as well. It's soooo freakin' deep. I'm amazed. So many unlockables/collectibles. I was a bit confused at first Chapter 1 being 5-star difficulty, that didn't make any sense, but I guess they are meant to be played out of order. Why number them then? Odd. Also WTF is up with the 1 hour long install?

Uh, usually meant to represent the game. Notice that all the characters are lined up with a number corresponding to their game.

Fuu

I always go from the lowest difficulty challenge to the highest (unless I have to choose between them for the whole game obviously, then I usually stick to the normal/medium setting). This way I can progressively enjoy the entire game as in the better I get = the higher the challenge. If I play the higher levels from the get go the lower ones will get far too easy when I do them, simply beacuse playing the harder ones first will make me too skilled or overleveled. I do this with puzzle games all the time so that's probably where I solidified the mindset. I can see how many wouldn't feel like doing this here since, well, crossover game with fan favorites.

I'm having a lot of fun with this, the cutscenes are waaaaay too long for me and I end up skipping them. I'd like to know whats going on, but cutscenes on a psp have never worked for me, I cant stay attentive. Anyway, the combat is fun and the battlegen is pretty addictive, I'm also a fan of the way the accessories work. This is the first time I put it down all day for the most part.

I just hope they patch in an infrastructure mode and that I won't be restricted by my CFW.

Sylarkiller

Neo Member
I have had a blast playing this game. Not very far into it, just playing it when on the train to work and whenever I have a spare 5 minutes at home, but this is just great fun, I can get about 5 or 6 fights done on my train ride to work, turn off the psp and on my way home, fire up the PSP again and get back to fighting.

thaikick

Neo Member
Man, this is silly but I really like cloud's alternate costume. It's his Advent Children get up and looks so freakin' slick. This is only game I've ever played where I don't care that each weapon and piece of armor aren't modeled. I hate that in all Japanese RPG's, and I never bought the excuse that they were trying to create cohesive identities for their characters by having them always dressed in their unique outfit but I buy it this time. These guys sure know how to please a FF fan.

Fuu

It's a bit funny that they've used the sissy persona for Cloud. Makes me wish even more Zack was unlockable.

batbeg said:
D: Now there's nobody rocking a Layle avatar! Dammit Fuu!
:lol

I was going to use the new artwork one but kenji beat me to it.

squall211

This game is fan-freaking-tastic. I must have played Dissidia for 4 or 5 straight hours last night. It's been YEARS since I've gone that long playing a game without a break. It's just that much fun. The amount of content crammed into the UMD is amazing.

I've completely gone through Cloud and Cecil's stories, and I have a question.
After Clould's story was completed, there is a scene where the 10 heroes approach Cosmos. The WoL takes out a crystal and says something to the effect of "Let's end this." Then Chaos shows up and wtfpwns Cosmos. I get all that, but after finishing Cecil's story the exact same scene played. Does this scene replay after everyone's story?

I want to play this, but I haven't played (and plan to play soon FF6,8, and 9). Are there any major spoilers from any of them or big things I will miss? I was considering playing them first.

Chairhome

Man, you guys are going to make me want to buy this game... I was going to hold out cause I thought it would be mindless fun (which isn't bad, I guess).

Question: If I have CFW and put this on a stick, there's no point in doing the install, right? Common sense would dictate that its already loading it from the stick, so there would be no point. I would just like someone to validate my common sense :-D

Chairhome said:
Man, you guys are going to make me want to buy this game... I was going to hold out cause I thought it would be mindless fun (which isn't bad, I guess).

Question: If I have CFW and put this on a stick, there's no point in doing the install, right? Common sense would dictate that its already loading it from the stick, so there would be no point. I would just like someone to validate my common sense :-D

a game on a disk installing game on disk to play a game that's already on disk to make it load faster by reading game on disk.

Indrew

Neo Member
prodystopian said:
I want to play this, but I haven't played (and plan to play soon FF6,8, and 9). Are there any major spoilers from any of them or big things I will miss? I was considering playing them first.

The only real spoiler would be finding out who the last boss in each game is.

depward

Imported and played the Japanese version and now, playing through the NA version, I'm amazed at all of the stuff I had no idea about (mainly, how equips / accessories work). I'm still a little confused at the whole base value plus boost thing for accessories... but probably because I was really tired yesterday when I played it.

Love the nostalgia factor.

Props to SE for putting out an awesome, awesome game. Hope the sales numbers reflect the kind of quality product this is (who am I kidding? It's a PSP release. All of the CFW kids will be downloading it).

ronito

hrmm...really haven't made my mind up about this game. The fanboy in me is like "OH YAY!" and the fighting's alright, certainly can get exciting. But in my few short play throughs it essentially came down to take them down to break and then hit square like mad.

20090826.jpg

:lol

The write-up isn't up just yet, though.

rataven

:lol ^
Indrew said:
The only real spoiler would be finding out who the last boss in each game is.
That's not even that spoilery, since the Chaos side is all over the advertising, packaging, etc. And for FF
IX Kuja isn't even the final boss :p

prodystopian said:
There are references to all the games that you might not get if you haven't played. Cecil's story gives something away, but seems you've played that one. You'll probably get more out of it if you've played the whole series.

Fuu

I haven't played with Tidus yet but depending on how deep they go there's quite a big spoiler for FFX too (depending on how much the player cares). Not prodystopian's case since he has already played X, just throwing this out here.

@ PA: They could have used Kefka instead of Seph for maximum hilarity since he actually trolls the plot and characters. :lol

Estival

Ninja Kn1ght said:
It's strange hearing characters liek Squall and Zidane talk, I'm not mad about the script of the voice acing so far, there's too many...unnatural....pauses.
I like the voice acting, but I think this those pauses are kind of annoying, too. Kuja's voice actor posted something about that on his youtube page, which might help account for it a bit? This might be common knowledge about how all dubs are done, I'm not sure, but I found it interesting anyway.
JD Cullum said:
I was being directed by a director who spoke to me via a translator, and she was trying to get me to literally imitate the Japanese actor who played the part. Now, it's one thing to try to imitate George W. Bush or anyone else in my native language, but it's absurd to try to imitate an unseen actor in a completely foreign language. Also, you may notice that I extend my speech patterns in bizarre and unaccountable ways. That is because I am trying to match the time of the Japanese phrases. Well, Japanese is perhaps quite not as economical as English, at least for certain phrases. Sometimes I had to slow down and extend my voice to an absurd and unnatural degree to fit with the animation. Finally, I was given no information about the character I was playing and I still don't really know, but I do know I was encouraged to sound breathy and feminine. Not my preferred approach but my job was to try to deliver what the director wanted...I confess I'm not familiar with the rest of the project. They simply provide me with the lines for my character and then I record each one individually, while watching video playback

Estival said:
I like the voice acting, but I think this those pauses are kind of annoying, too. Kuja's voice actor posted something about that on his youtube page, which might help account for it a bit? This might be common knowledge about how all dubs are done, I'm not sure, but I found it interesting anyway.

Golbez, Ultimecia, Kuja and Tidus (SHOCK) have the best VA so far. Oh and I have no sympathy for JD Cullum lol He should be used to the specific speech patterns that are intrinsic to Japanese voice acting and translations and as for not knowing anything about his character...well that's what the internet is for isn't it?

Synless

TheChillyAcademic said:
Golbez, Ultimecia, Kuja and Tidus (SHOCK) have the best VA so far. Oh and I have no sympathy for JD Cullum lol He should be used to the specific speech patterns that are intrinsic to Japanese voice acting and translations and as for not knowing anything about his character...well that's what the internet is for isn't it?
I always thought Tidus had good VA anyways, he just has less parts to talk now. I would also add Jecht to that list.

Top Bottom