• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's The Avengers |OT| (Dir. Joss Whedon) [Spoilers unmarked]

Status
Not open for further replies.
To those people that have seen the movie, how would you rank it compared to other comic book movies, and have you any impressions on The Dark Knight Rises trailer which was meant to be attached.

shira

To those people that have seen the movie, how would you rank it compared to other comic book movies, and have you any impressions on The Dark Knight Rises trailer which was meant to be attached.
Tdkr trailer > avengers
Lol trailer launches may 4

Jintor

No tdkr trailer here in Australia. Got a great mib3 trailer thought.

I don't know that I can scale avengers really. Most every other superhero movie I've seen has been so single character focused. But as a casual marvel fan, I really really enjoyed it.

effzee

To those who have seen it, do I need to watch all the movies for it to make sense and to be enjoyed fully?

I have seen Iron Man 1 and 2 and the Ed Norton Hulk. Missed out on Thor and Captain America.

I am really getting excited for this now!

Khezu

Does ironman find even more ridiculous ways to put his suit on?

Also what did that bracelet do? The one from that loki scene?

To those who have seen it, do I need to watch all the movies for it to make sense and to be enjoyed fully?

I have seen Iron Man 1 and 2 and the Ed Norton Hulk. Missed out on Thor and Captain America.

Captain America is the better movie, but it seems this progresses the story started in Thor.

Captain America is the better movie, but it seems this progresses the story started in Thor.

Do you mean better than Thor, or better than The Avengers (if you have seen it).

I enjoyed Thor more than Captain America, even though I recognise it as the lesser film, I really like the magical aspects to the story, but with those two films I imagine its personal preference.

Vega

I would advise you to rent both Captain America and Thor. Especially Thor, since Loki is the big villain in this movie too.

LosDaddie

Banned

Yes. The only Avengers movie that isn't important to watch is TIH.

Also what did that bracelet do? The one from that loki scene?

:lol Are you seriously asking for spoilers?

From what I understand (mostly from the comic prequel), Loki and the Cosmic Cube are gonna be pretty big parts of this movie, so you should probably watch Thor and Cap.

They're both pretty solid movies, too. Totally worth seeing.

My money's on him hating it, because I have literally never seen him change his mind in the slightest after seeing a movie that he was very vocal about before it released.

Example:

"JOHN CARTER IS GOING TO BE AMAZING!!!!"

John Carter turns out to be a pile of shit that everyone else hates.

"NO SHUT UP JOHN CARTER WAS TOTALLY AMAZING!!!!"

Dude decides if he's gonna like a movie before he sees it based on things like the director, the writer, and the actors, and then just looks for reasons to support his decision while he's watching it.

Look no further than the Avatar thread....or anything James Cameron related.

Do you mean better than Thor, or better than The Avengers (if you have seen it).

I enjoyed Thor more than Captain America, even though I recognise it as the lesser film, I really like the magical aspects to the story, but with those two films I imagine its personal preference.

This thread has come full circle more times than the Mass Effect thread.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Is there a Post-Credits scene?
My party wanted nah needed to leave as soon as the movie was over, so i didnt get to watch even the what looked to be cool End Credits sequence.

Serious Spoilers Inside:
The movie was pretty damn exciting, not too many complaints, but i found myself looking forward to seeing hulks madness more than anything.....is that a good sign or a bad sign?

It was fun.

The narrative itself is absolute garbage, but once you realize it is all just an excuse to get these fanboy service (self-service in Whedon's case) scenes on screen, you just sort of roll with it.

And those scenes are where this movie lives. Of course, if you're expecting any serious drama in these scenes, you've come to the wrong movie. Whedon makes no attempt to deviate from his 'let's lighten the mood' mentality, as he is having the characters crack jokes at every single turn.

You don't feel invested in the film in terms of caring about any of the stakes at hand, just as Whedon doesn't really seem invested in the story enough to come up with anything than the most convenient and ridiculous get out of jail free cards to bail out of each narrative conflict.

But like I said, it doesn't matter. You're there to watch these character banter with one another. And it's fun to watch. Like any comedy, I'm not sure how good it will be on rewatch once you know all the jokes, but there is some very satisfying humor and chemistry between the main players - good and bad, without spoiling anything.

The Avengers is Oceans 12 with ILM pumping a whole bunch of CG destruction into the background.

It sometimes loses it's focus and in typical Whedon style, gravitates toward less interesting side characters that are paper thin. There is one part that made me roll my eyes.

Lots of cheese. A lot of the bureau/SHIELD ops dialogue is just bad.

Hulk does absolutely own the film, though without spoiling anything, I will say that I was disappointed that Whedon seemed to contradict our introduction to The Hulk, as if he wasn't sure how to write around him without changing his character.

Action was very decent. I could see Paramount looking to Whedon for the next Transdongers after Bay.

I enjoyed it enough, but probably won't revisit until it hits TV, so that the jokes might hit again.

In the end, it's an ILM showcase with some nice comedy running throughout that doesn't take itself seriously. It's fun, but doesn't come anywhere near the top-tier superhero films.

shira

Is there a Post-Credits scene?
My party wanted nah needed to leave as soon as the movie was over, so i didnt get to watch even the what looked to be cool End Credits sequence.

Serious Spoilers Inside:
The movie was pretty damn exciting, not too many complaints, but i found myself looking forward to seeing hulks madness more than anything.....is that a good sign or a bad sign?

They shoulda put the tdkr trailer after the end credits scene, like a double whammy

End credits
thanos

My money's on him hating it, because I have literally never seen him change his mind in the slightest after seeing a movie that he was very vocal about before it released.

Example:

"JOHN CARTER IS GOING TO BE AMAZING!!!!"

John Carter turns out to be a pile of shit that everyone else hates.

"NO SHUT UP JOHN CARTER WAS TOTALLY AMAZING!!!!"

Dude decides if he's gonna like a movie before he sees it based on things like the director, the writer, and the actors, and then just looks for reasons to support his decision while he's watching it.

:O Stop pulling stuff up out of your arse. I was skeptical and cautiously optimistic of John Carter.

IF you'll go back to my War Horse thread, you'll see that I was pimping that movie hard and ended up being shattered by how weak it was when I saw an early press screening. I ripped it to shreds.

jett

D-Member
It was fun.

The narrative itself is absolute garbage, but once you realize it is all just an excuse to get these fanboy service (self-service in Whedon's case) scenes on screen, you just sort of roll with it.

And those scenes are where this movie lives. Of course, if you're expecting any serious drama in these scenes, you've come to the wrong movie. Whedon makes no attempt to deviate from his 'let's lighten the mood' mentality, as he is having the characters crack jokes at every single turn.

You don't feel invested in the film in terms of caring about any of the stakes at hand, just as Whedon doesn't really seem invested in the story enough to come up with anything than the most convenient and ridiculous get out of jail free cards to bail out of each narrative conflict.

But like I said, it doesn't matter. You're there to watch these character banter with one another. And it's fun to watch. Like any comedy, I'm not sure how good it will be on rewatch once you know all the jokes, but there is some very satisfying humor and chemistry between the main players - good and bad, without spoiling anything.

The Avengers is Oceans 12 with ILM pumping a whole bunch of CG destruction into the background.

It sometimes loses it's focus and in typical Whedon style, gravitates toward less interesting side characters that are paper thin. There is one part that made me roll my eyes.

Hulk does absolutely own the film, though without spoiling anything, I will say that I was disappointed that Whedon seemed to contradict our introduction to The Hulk, as if he wasn't sure how to write around him without changing his character.

Action was very decent. I could see Paramount looking to Whedon for the next Transdongers after Bay.

I enjoyed it enough, but probably won't revisit until it hits TV, so that the jokes might hit again.

In the end, it's an ILM showcase with some nice comedy running throughout that doesn't take itself seriously. It's fun, but doesn't come anywhere near the top-tier superhero films.

Seems about right. Fun fanboy fodder and nothing more.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
It was fun.

Glad you somewhat enjoyed it Sculli, but WOW, it's amazing actually how close I came to hitting the nail on the mark. For comparison, here is my fake Sculli review I posted a few hours ago, based on his past opinions about movies and such:

Sculli Fake Review said:
Well guys, Sculli here, I'm back. I'm tired, but here is my quick and short review before I'm off for bed. I'll make it spoiler free too, don't want to ruin any story points for anyone.

It was a decent comic movie, but as I feared, Whedon's influence almost ruined it for me. There were some really good surprising action scenes but they could have been so much better than they were. Whedon's TV style of doing action really showed in this film. A better director would have served this movie well, someone with more big screen action experience. Like Cameron for example. If Jim had done this movie we would be looking at hands down the best superhero movie of all time. The dialogue was pure Joss too, at times I felt like I was watching a super sized episode of Buffy or Angel. Way too scooby doo ish. The cast was a good ensemble and had good chemistry despite Joss's television dialogue style. I will admit one thing though, the Hulk has finally been done right on the big screen. They nailed the Hulk this time around. That alone makes suffering through the rest worth it. The story was actually pretty decent, a tad slow at the start but picked up later on and held a good pace. But again, it just felt way too much like a Buffy season finale with a better budget. Too campy for me, pulled me right out of some moments.

So I didn't hate it, but my initial fears were correct, it just didn't meet the potential that it could (should) have been. I blame Whedon for most of that, he was just a bad choice for this movie. Too late now though, it is what it is. I'm glad I got to see it for free, if I had paid for this I'd be more upset. I predict that GAF will love it though, it's simple and basic enough for you guys to eat up. And seeing how popular Joss is here, it fits. It will do well in sales but it won't do as well as other hero flicks with more capable direction that I won't mention here. I'd rate it better than IM2 but just barely, a very average Marvel flick with a few decent action scenes. Nowhere near as good as Avatar or T2.

I'll write more later, after I get some sleep.

LOL!

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
There was a post credits scene, yes.
its a sequel hook.

They shoulda put the tdkr trailer after the end credits scene, like a double whammy

End credits
thanos
Fuck!
Again Serious Spoilers:|
Thanos! you are fucking joking Im so hurt i had to leave, now im gonna have to watch the movie again this weekend...im such a loser for missing out on the post-credits....is he fully CGI or a dude in costume?

Glad you somewhat enjoyed it Sculli, but WOW, it's amazing actually how close I came to hitting the nail on the mark. For comparison, here is my fake Sculli review I posted a few hours ago, based on his past opinions about movies and such:

LOL!

Fuck, the Hulk stuff was spot on.

Poor Sculli, he's entitled to his opinion but this is hilarious.

LOL!

Except that I think that Whedon was a very good choice for this movie in the end. I thought the action was good and thought the story was complete garbage.

But apart from getting those three main things wrong, yeah you completely nailed it, broheim.

No offense Sculli but I never want people to give as much of a fuck about my posts as they do yours, shit seems weird. Nice write-up, though.

No offense Sculli but I never want people to give as much of a fuck about my posts as they do yours, shit seems weird. Nice write-up, though.

I don't think people give any more or less fucks what Sculli or Expendable say. They just dominate the course of the discussion.
$$$$

SPOILER ALERT!! THIS IS ONLY FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVE SEEN THE MOVIE. IF YOU ARE GOING TO SEE IT, READING THIS WILL RUIN AN AMAZING SCENE, SO DON'T READ.

Hulk smashing the shit out of Loki was fucking hilarious. Audience at that shit up.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
SPOILER ALERT!! THIS IS ONLY FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVE SEEN THE MOVIE. IF YOU ARE GOING TO SEE IT, READING THIS WILL RUIN AN AMAZING SCENE, SO DON'T READ.

Hulk smashing the shit out of Loki was fucking hilarious. Audience at that shit up.

dat one liner right after

apana

Reviews for reviews, is Sculli the Armond White of NeoGAF? lol

Anyways I am hyped for this after seeing so many positive reactions, just the wait is too much. I have to do a lot of annoying shit on May 4th so I may not even get to see it on that day. :(

shira

Judging by some of the posts I've seen you make I'm surprised you were going to see it.

And with that you go on ignore.

I've seen all of previous movies and a huge marvel fan, but if its just more of the same I'm not going to IMAX3D opening midnite, prolly just Tuesday cheap night.

You need a serious time investment if you are going to sleep at 3am on a weekday.

LosDaddie

Banned

It's only because of how much he's trolled every Avengers thread.

I've seen all of previous movies and a huge marvel fan, but if its just more of the same I'm not going to IMAX3D opening midnite, prolly just Tuesday cheap night.

You need a serious time investment if you are going to sleep at 3am on a weekday.

That's exactly why I'm not going to the IMAX 3D midnight showing on Thurs night/Friday morning. I'd be so damn tired for work on Friday.

I think Oceans 12 with superheroes is the perfect way to describe The Avengers. No real interesting plot, no real dramatic stakes, convenient narrative turns abound to the point where nothing really matters, but if you like the characters, watching them all interact with one another is like going out on the town with the boys, only to finish the night reminiscing and laughing about that time Damon fucked up the meeting in the cafe by trying to speaking gibberish.

Oh and I should point out that I saw it in glorious 2D, because fuck that converted shit.

It's only because of how he's trolled every Avengers thread.

I wouldn't say Sculli has trolled the Avengers thread but this was never his type of movie to begin with. Still, he seemed to like it enough.

People trolling the thread are the ones who are saying they're only going to the film to see the TDKR trailer.

I think Oceans 12 with superheroes is the perfect way to describe The Avengers. No real interesting plot, no real dramatic stakes, convenient narrative turns abound to the point where nothing really matters, but if you like the characters, watching them all interact with one another is like going out on the town with the boys, only to finish the night reminiscing and laughing about that time Damon fucked up the meeting in the cafe by trying to speaking gibberish.

Oh and I should point out that I saw it in glorious 2D, because fuck that converted shit.

I'd like to see a reviewer score films on a scale of Oceans 11 to 13.

apana

Is it better than the other Marvel films? Which one has been your favorite so far?

I want to know what's going through someone's head when they spend minutes of their day writing up a pretend movie review from the perspective of another internet forum poster.

I like when comic book movies are true to comic books as a medium; meaning: I don't give a rat's ass about the story in a comic book movie because by and large mainstream superhero comics have laughably contrived story-lines. I'm ok with that. Superhero team books are excuses for having huge action spreads with 10 or so characters and explosions everywhere mixed with team/team and team/villain banter. I want those things out of my comic book movies. I will watch other films based around other artistic mediums for rich character development and plot.

TLDR: Sculli's review is as close to what I want in The Avengers as I can imagine. If this movie was TDK it would have failed at being an Avengers movie.

Is it better than the other Marvel films? Which one has been your favorite so far?

Iron Man is still the best Marvel film so far.

I would say

IM > IM2 (which I still find disappointing, but has some nice moments) > The Avengers > Thor > Cap > Hulk (Ang Lee) > Incredible Hulk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom