• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's The Avengers |OT| (Dir. Joss Whedon) [Spoilers unmarked]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobor

That's cool. I hope you dig it. I hope I dig it. If Whedon can lift his game in this film, I will be happy to eat some crow if it means that I don't have to endure 2.5 hours as opposed to enjoying them.

No worries, dude. I respect your opinions, even when we disagree, so it's all good. Having seen as many movies as I have, and given what we know and have seen, I feel comfortable that I'm going to enjoy it. The rest is gravy.

Slushie in USA I'm pretty sure.

Yeah, gotta tell ya, I normally don't get Whedon's stuff, but he sstruck gold for me here.

One of the reasons Firefly, Buffy and Angel work so well for me is that Joss gets the ensemble dynamic and gives each character their moment to shine over the course of an episode or a season. His characters, despite being in the most dire of circumstances, always seem to enjoy what their doing, cracking jokes, but also knowing when to be dead serious. Some of his dialogue can be pure cheese but it's outweighed by the sense of balance in his scripts. He gives fans what they want without compromising the narrative.

I think a lot of people get hung-up on that "Whedon dialogue" and dismiss him outright. There's a lot to a Whedon scripted/directed feature that can be appreciated. I've always thought he was the perfect choice to handle the X-Men movie and I think he would have made his scripted version work. Storm would have sold that Toad line under his direction.

That may be the problem with past efforts that he's had a hand in scripting but not directing. If the director doesn't get or even like Joss' dialogue style, the actors will stumble on screen with the material.

I read his script to Alien Resurrection prior to seeing the film and absolutely loved it. His vision worked and got my excited for the franchise again. He naturally went to an ensemble cast of characters for that, which is his strength, and everything worked so well. It just didn't translate to the screen.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Tis a cruel wind that blows across the Earth when Sculli gets to see this movie before I do yet expects to be disgusted.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Tis a cruel wind that blows across the Earth when Sculli gets to see this movie before I do yet expects to be disgusted.

Don't worry, he is going to come back a believer. I'm betting he is very pleasantly surprised by this movie. We'll know soon enough now.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Money's on Sculli being really wrapped in the film after a slow start, but still not crazy about Whedon's general direction tics, give or take a few action sequences.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
We should all review Scullli's reaction to the film and send up a seperate Rottentomatoes page for that too.

KevinCow

Banned
Money's on Sculli being really wrapped in the film after a slow start, but still not crazy about Whedon's general direction tics, give or take a few action sequences.

My money's on him hating it, because I have literally never seen him change his mind in the slightest after seeing a movie that he was very vocal about before it released.

Example:

"JOHN CARTER IS GOING TO BE AMAZING!!!!"

John Carter turns out to be a pile of shit that everyone else hates.

"NO SHUT UP JOHN CARTER WAS TOTALLY AMAZING!!!!"

Dude decides if he's gonna like a movie before he sees it based on things like the director, the writer, and the actors, and then just looks for reasons to support his decision while he's watching it.

Mengy

My money's on him hating it, because I have literally never seen him change his mind in the slightest after seeing a movie that he was very vocal about before it released.

Example:

"JOHN CARTER IS GOING TO BE AMAZING!!!!"

John Carter turns out to be a pile of shit that everyone else hates.

"NO SHUT UP JOHN CARTER WAS TOTALLY AMAZING!!!!"

Dude decides if he's gonna like a movie before he sees it based on things like the director, the writer, and the actors, and then just looks for reasons to support his decision while he's watching it.

Yeah, Sculli does seem to do that alot. He comes across as being very impressionable by the details behind a movie rather than the details within the movie itself, the substance.

Heh, I should write up a quick "Sculli's review" impersonation and see how close it gets to the real thing just to see how predictable he is!!! :D

Mengy

Ok, here is my quick and dirty prediction of what Sculli's review will be like! Note that these are not his opinions, I am completely forging this, so don't anyone crucify him for any of this, LOL. Note that these are not my opinions either as I haven't even seen the film yet...

OK, I have it saved. We'll see what he actually posts and then I'll post it back up and we'll see how close I was, LOL!!

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Mengy delete the quote from your post, I'm gonna screenshot it, then we'll see how accurate it is.

I wonder if Sculli is checking the thread while in the movie because he is bored.

Nah. He doesnt seem the type to bust his phone out at a movie. But it is funny having all the comments while we know he cannot respond. Like talking about someone when they leave the room.

But it is all out of love.

Mengy

Did I just read something from the future because i could have sworn I read Sculli's review and now I can't find it.

Mengy drafted up a fake Sculli review and later took it down to see how accurate it was. Probably what you saw.

LOL, it was so accurate that people thought it was Sculli's real review! Nice.

Yeah, lets wait and see what Sculli actually posts after he gets back, and then I'll post my work of fiction back up and compare it to the real thing.

LosDaddie

Banned
OK, I have it saved. We'll see what he actually posts and then I'll post it back up and we'll see how close I was, LOL!!

Very good. I read it, and think it'll be pretty close to the real thing.

Yup. After a few other comments I've put him on ignore. Not going to let him rain on my Avengers parade.

eh, at this point, I find the trolls in here to be endearing. All that time & energy they waste here for nothing. Bless their hearts. :)

JGS

Banned
Honestly, I didn't get that impression with him and John Carter. He was pleasantly surprised considering he's not a fan of the director by any stretch.

Im not one of those people who are only going to see the avengers for the batman trailer, but goddamn i will be pissed if they don't show it at my cinema, especially since it will look god like on the IMAX screen apposed to a laptop screen at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom