• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Coffee |OT| Taste as good as it smells

NewFresh

There are hundreds of types of coffee. There are many ways of drinking them. So...

What is your way of having it and what is your preference?

French Press / Press Pot
vy8XwKU.jpg

Tips on how to make French Press coffee

-Personally, I think everyone should experiment with making it. I use an electric tea kettle set to 198F and then let sit for three min after stirring with a wooden spoon. But that's me. Coffee grind is KEY with this.

Drip Coffee Maker
toNbULz.jpg

Personal favorite featured in picture: Technivorm Moccamaster Coffee Brewer KBG741

List of SCAA approved drip brewers:

At this time, current SCAA Certified Home Brewers are:

-Technivorm Moccamaster
-Bunn Phase Brew 8 Cup Coffee Brewer
-Bonavita 8 Cup Exceptional Brew Coffee Maker with glass or thermal carafe
-Brazen Plus Customizable Temperature Control Brew System
-KitchenAid Coffee Maker KCM0802 - Not out yet!
-Bonavita Coffee Maker (model BV1900TS)

Espresso Machine
e7rvYnx.png

How To Buy an Espresso Machine

Cold Water Coffee Dripper
DLu6txG.jpg

Just go to Blue Bottle Coffeee, people.

And lets not forget the GRINDERS!

Grinder Guide

There are many more ways to drink the drink of legend.

Great source for impressions on machines or other coffee related items: Seattle Coffee Gear Youtube Channel

Specialty Coffee Association of America

http://www.wholelattelove.com/

http://coffeegeek.com/

Love lattes. Pete's is pretty good about making quality lattes. I like the frappuccinos you can get in bottles but Starbucks for expresso or good coffee is kind of a joke to me. I go there when I want flavored stuff in my coffee.

The best coffee I've tasted so far was some strong but good stuff from Puerto Rico my boyfriend's mother sent us one year.

Just use old fashioned drip machine.

What's a good ground coffee to buy?
Something that is available in supermarkets and such.

Usually purchase fresh beans at Pete's and have them grind it/package it on the spot.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
nespresso machine

a delicious cup of hot coffee/espresso in 20 seconds, with the push of one button.

a swiss invention, of course.

nespresso-essenza-stardust-gold.jpg

800px-Nespressotab.jpg

the one we have:

72864945.jpg

my parents were so impressed with it and the coffee when they came to visit us that they absolutely had to have one for their home in the US :)

LQX

To me its the creamer that makes a good coffee. Throw some hazelnut in any coffee and its guaranteed to taste good.

02240721640pt.jpg

Dachande

Gaggia Baby Dose here at home, typically just straight double espresso, or a French press if I feel like it. Beans from a coffee place a few cities away via post, since I know the owner quite well.
zHCV1.jpg

At work, an Aeropress. Couldn't live without it now.
aeropress-hero-260.jpg

Cow juice ruins coffee. Don't do it people! Blacker than the night is the only way!

LQX said:
To me its the creamer that makes a good coffee. Throw some hazelnut in any coffee and its guaranteed to taste good.

02240721640pt.jpg

Want some coffee with that cream? Good coffee makes good coffee. If you have to mask the taste with cream, i think it ceases being coffee at some point.

Javaman

LQX said:

02240721640pt.jpg

I used to use Cremora until I read the ingredient list. The main ingredient is partially hydrogenated vegetable oil. How do you like Crisco in your coffee?

I've recently become a fan of k-cups though.

KRG-ALT-B40a.jpg

Zaphod

I like my coffee like I like my women: Tall, strong, straight, black and hot.

A cà phê sữa đá is always welcome though.

LQX said:

02240721640pt.jp

Get that shit out of here!

Ingredients
WATER, SUGAR, HYDROGENATED COCONUT OIL, SODIUM CASEINATE, FLAVOUR AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOUR, DIPOTASSIUM PHOSPHATE, SALT, MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES, ACETYLATED TARTARIC ACID ESTERS OF MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not a huge coffee drinker but my gf is so I got her an Aeropress for Christmas. Holy shit that thing makes coffee tastes phenomenal! She froths a little cream and pours the coffee over it, really really good. Doesn't need a sweetner or anything.

sky

LQX said:
Just get some hazelnut flavored coffee. Or vanilla. Mmmmmmmm.....

Beaulieu

cloudwalking said:
nespresso machine
my parents were so impressed with it and the coffee when they came to visit us that they absolutely had to have one for their home in the US :)

that stuff is nasty

Red

Nothing beats a Greek frappe, but they're hard to find around where I live.

Been sticking with Kivu brand East African coffee lately, pretty damn good. Add some cream and sugar and you're good to go. I use a $10 drip coffee machine that gets better results than any other I've used (beats Keurigs and all those one-cup things I've tried).

JBuccCP

I don't drink much, but when I do I use a french press. Also have some pumpkin spice creamer that's pretty good. Strong stuff though can easily overpower.

Masked Man

I said wow
Had I my druthers, I would probably be drinking coffee from a French press every day, but being a poor college student means that I'm utilizing a cheap drip coffee maker. No matter what, though, my coffee is hot and black. (Iced coffee is acceptable with some soy milk, but no ice.)

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I went to Italy and they have coffee there with a capital c. Shit that stuff is GOOD. After that I only drank coffee from those expensive looking espresso machines or exactly measured stuff made at home and even then it doesn't compare.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Dagless M.D. said:
Really? I know you're better off grinding your own beans etc, but for essentially instant coffee it's very nice.

I tried one at a kitchen store one time and it tasted really artificial to me.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
WinoMcCougarstein said:
For me, the appeal of the Nespresso is the convenience and consistency - it's obviously not a '10/10' cup but when I'm rushing around getting ready for work I can get a pretty decent espresso by pressing a button. Coffee snobs turn their noses up in disgust at them, as there are surely better methods but eh - it's about the convenience.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
WinoMcCougarstein said:

some of the types with artificial flavouring do taste kind of chemical-y, yeah. but with the regular line-up you can't really go wrong. you gotta try a few of them to find the one that's for you.

julls said:
For me, the appeal of the Nespresso is the convenience and consistency - it's obviously not a '10/10' cup but when I'm rushing around getting ready for work I can get a pretty decent espresso by pressing a button. Coffee snobs turn their noses up in disgust at them, as there are surely better methods but eh - it's about the convenience.

exactly, that's how i feel too. i'd much rather do this in the morning than have to pick up coffee somewhere on the go, which is more expensive and not as tasty.

bud

i used to love drinking coffee as a kid (i know, right?), and i still love the smell of it very much.

i haven't had any since then, though.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
cloudwalking said:
some of the types with artificial flavouring do taste kind of chemical-y, yeah. but with the regular line-up you can't really go wrong. you gotta try a few of them to find the one that's for you.
Oh man - those vanilla/almond/caramel flavours were AWFUL.

One thing I'm not fond of though - how they're trying to keep it more 'exclusive' by not stocking the pods in regular shops. Not sure how it is elsewhere, but going in to a single department store here to stock up (or waiting 3 days for a delivery, with a minimum order requirement) is the exact opposite of convenience :p

mantidor

As a colombian, coffee is an important part of the day, breakfast just is not the same without it. The french express thing is what we use here at home, and I always have it with milk since I have memory. At work there are this huge coffee makers called grecas that from what I'm told don't make the best coffee, but they are pretty traditional around here, every office has one.

Koodo

Banned
I hate coffee.

I love most everything about it: the look, the smell, the texture, the additions, etc.

Except the taste. My tongue rejects that shit.

Such a strange sensory disconnect.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
julls said:
Oh man - those vanilla/almond/caramel flavours were AWFUL.

One thing I'm not fond of though - how they're trying to keep it more 'exclusive' by not stocking the pods in regular shops. Not sure how it is elsewhere, but going in to a single department store here to stock up (or waiting 3 days for a delivery, with a minimum order requirement) is the exact opposite of convenience :p

here in switzerland they have one or two nespresso "boutiques" in every single major city. they basically look like apple stores, but with coffee :p you can only buy the capsules at the boutiques here, or if you don't live near a city you can order them by mail.

for me it's great because i live a two-minute walk from the nespresso boutique here, but i can see for other people it being a total pain in the ass if you don't live close by -- for one, a lot of the stores are located in historical pedestrian-only areas so you can't get there easily by car. the stores are also usually overcrowded on saturdays or after work, because people are trying to stock up on all of their coffee all at once :/

DSFan1970

cloudwalking said:
here in switzerland they have one or two nespresso "boutiques" in every single major city. they basically look like apple stores, but with coffee :p you can only buy the capsules at the boutiques here, or if you don't live near a city you can order them by mail.

for me it's great because i live a two-minute walk from the nespresso boutique here, but i can see for other people it being a total pain in the ass if you don't live close by -- for one, a lot of the stores are located in historical pedestrian-only areas so you can't get there easily by car. that's why the stores are usually overcrowded on saturdays or after work, because people are trying to stock up on all of their coffee all at once :/

I find that amazing! Don't they do mail order like Keurig does in the States? Also does the Nespresso machine make regular coffees or just flavored lattes? The one they introduced in the States looks like just flavored lattes...

thomaser

newsilviarocky.jpg

Rancilio Silvia with the Rancilio Rocky grinder. I've had both for ten years this summer, and they're still going strong! I have the timings and movements down to my bones now - I could use them blindfold and still make a cappo with snazzy latte-art (ok, maybe not blindfold). I do want a new grinder, though, maybe a Mazzer Mini. And perhaps a sturdier steam wand for the Silvia. Some beautiful day I want to get a bigger machine with separate boilers for the coffee and the steam, and have it connected to the water pipes, but as long as I'm single and only make coffee for myself, the Silvia/Rocky combo works perfectly.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
DSFan1970 said:
I find that amazing! Don't they do mail order like Keurig does in the States? Also does the Nespresso machine make regular coffees or just flavored lattes? The one they introduced in the States looks like just flavored lattes...

they do mail order, sure, but a lot of people prefer to pick up their capsules at the boutiques because they don't have to pay shipping like if they order it by mail. most people seem to think it's worth it... but like i said, this leads to serious overcrowding in the stores during peak times and it can make wait times pretty bad... last time i bought a descaling kit in zürich on a saturday i had to wait in line for 20 minutes just to pay for it.

i go to my local boutique on weekdays before 4:00. the store is usually almost totally empty then.

a nespresso machine will make either short or long coffees, they have capsules that are specially designated for short (espresso) but they actually can be used to make a long coffee if you want. they also have special capsules for long coffee (lungo)... i wouldn't use those to make espresso though...

they do sell flavoured or special edition capsules at certain points during the year but it's not something that is in their regular line-up of coffee, no.

there are also certain machines that have an integrated milk canister so you can make cappuccino, latte macchiato, etc.

okno

Anyone a barista? I work with Stumptown in NYC (won't say where I work, because I don't necessarily want you to find me :p), love it to pieces. My favorite brand, though, is Intelligentsia, which I worked for a bit when I lived in Chicago. Their single origin roasts are amazing. Stumptown is alright, but I find their coffee to be rather bland and boring, or just far too acidic.

I do mostly French press, but I love a well made latte. I really want to get one of those stove-top espresso pots, I loooooove those things.

Also, always black, no sugar.

bathala

Banned
Drip coffee. Kona coffee mostly with little bit of milk. 2 cups a day.

Thinking about Kreug but the kcups look expensive

Top Bottom